Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2013, 08:31   #4996
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Why do people in Bangalore drive with their OVRMs closed.
Who the hell is going to watch for them?

I get cautious with idiots like these, who have no clue that their OVRMs are closed and keep driving in middle lane. Worse, half of the car is in left lane and half on right lane.
Disaster recipe.
Old 19th January 2013, 08:44   #4997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Why do people in Bangalore drive with their OVRMs closed.
Who the hell is going to watch for them?

I get cautious with idiots like these, who have no clue that their OVRMs are closed and keep driving in middle lane. Worse, half of the car is in left lane and half on right lane.
Disaster recipe.
I too get annoyed when people drive like that. Then one day, my wife told me this, at least you can be certain that those fellas doesn't know/ care what's happening behind. So, give a wide berth to them. And it is better than the ones who keep the ORVMs open and doesn't use them.

Its a pity but I would say she has a point there.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 10:34   #4998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do people in Bangalore drive with their OVRMs closed. Who the hell is going to watch for them?
They care much more about their ORVMs than other things.
ORVMs are costly ain't it?
They are sure that others like us, would take care of them.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 10:41   #4999
BHPian

My car was parked on the parking line of a two lane road. It was around 10am and the road was busy. I waited for some time with my right turn indicators on looking at the ORVM for someone to slow down and get me into the moving lane. My car was in almost 45 degrees towards the moving lane and when a biker slowed down to get me in I proceeded cautiously. Suddenly an Accent driven by an elderly man of around 50s who was tailing the bike decides to overtake the biker and honks at me as if I had done something wrong. Then he overtook me through the left and slowed down while I had stopped to make a right turn. Frankly his honking disheartened me to a higher extend and I was loosing my cool. I am a guy of around 20 years of age and this man would be around 50.The act seemed to be too immature and I didn't respond to either of his stares while he overtook me through the left or his honking just because I did not want to destroy my whole day just by reacting to this kind of illiterate jerks who considers roads to be made only for them and does not value the same liberty others have to travel on the same road.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 19th January 2013 at 10:44.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:02   #5000
Distinguished - BHPian

ORVM Closed/Open or No ORVMs, end of day we will have to be careful and drive defensively to be safe. I see most of the two-wheelers without RVMs and I get totally irritated when they turn back to see the traffic behind while taking right/left. And some idiots have the RVMs turned towards them(inwards) in their two-wheelers. Why are we not having RVMs as mandatory in two wheelers? Is it considered as a cosmetic accessory?
Old 19th January 2013, 13:28   #5001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Why are we not having RVMs as mandatory in two wheelers? Is it considered as a cosmetic accessory?
Right ORVM is mandatory. I remember an experience of a classmate of mine. He was returning home after removing both ORVMs from his RX135 (for better looks, he said). He was pulled over by a cop. He escaped by showing the mirrors in his bag and saying he was going to get them fixed. This was in Udupi, 10 years ago. Back then, cops were more proactive.

In most parts of the world, people drive so as not to to cause inconvenience to others. Here, people draw pride in causing inconvenience to others. They think it increases their social status.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 18:42   #5002
BHPian

This was updated on my FB feed just a while back.

"I was riding my bike without the helmet. Police stops... I was scared that i will be ripped. He asked me for a lift.Did not ask me where is my helmet, RC etc.

I dropped him. I looked back and saw, he caught 2 guys.
Why not me?? Was it a bribe to me or his way of paying the trip fare to me?
I guess I was lucky "

Now to point out to an idiot that he is unlucky :

He is so ignorant and his iq levels are beneath the basement because he feels 'lucky' riding without a helmet. Me? I would be scared to death and that too literally. This guy wears the helmet for the law enforcers not for himself or for those who may care about him. I would rather take a bus instead.

He is unlucky because those meant to enforce laws are ignoring offenders and letting them go scot free. This fellow will be the first one to blame authorities for letting 'incidents' happen. How is he different? He would have bribed the cop anyway.

I am concerned about how we treat safety norms. Wearing seat belts and helmets just because of traffic policemen and not for your safety is so stupid. Would the traffic cop grieve if he was to get into a mishap? He should at least be sensitive of his immediate family and his own skull which I am sure he would want to protect. This whole attitude 'I am too good to get into a crash, I ride well' is disturbing. Anything can happen to anyone. You can't prevent accidents but you can do your bit by not being suicidal.

Indians are totally into buying Life Insurance policies and are averse at taking any sort of risks. I wonder where this sensibility goes when it comes to driving/riding.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 22:10   #5003
BHPian

Couple of days back, when I was on the way to office, I see this car ahead of me. A couple in the front, the guy driving and the lady in the passenger seat. The car is crawling to stop at a signal ahead. The lady happily tilts the IRVM towards her and ensures that her hairdo is intact. Then tries to tilt it back into position. All this while the car is still moving. Can't imagine myself being in the driver's seat. Would have gone livid. Or probably I know less, being single :-)
Old 20th January 2013, 10:14   #5004
BHPian

Yesterday, saw a moron lady almost getting killed under a huge cement truck near kadugodi.

I noticed a almost new beat driving slowly on left lane. A huge truck was driving on right even more slowly. The beat had almost overtaken truck from left, when somehow it started moving towards the truck. Krap, I shouted sensing a collision. Perhaps truck driver was sensible, he rammed his vehicle in median and slammed on brakes. The beat still almost got entagled in the left side of truck fender. The beat kept on moving like nothing is happening. The beat literally took the fender, damaging it and its own car. Holy cow, beat is still moving like nothing happened. I crossed the truck, the driver looked pissed. I went near beat now back to left lane. There a L on rear glass. More trouble it was driven by a lady alone. Also, she was wearing dark shades. I for once assumed she is oblivious to other vehicles because she is wearing dark shades.

I crossed the beat carefully and its right rear had a nasty hit. She had no clue that her life was just saved by a quick thinking truck driver. Had it been those SRS travels type travellers, she was history. I felt like stopping and giving the retard lady a stick,but then my wife forced me not to.

Whew what a character!
acroback is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 11:52   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, saw a moron lady almost getting killed under a huge cement truck near kadugodi...
I've encountered a lot of morons like these! Irrespective of gender, I somehow fail to understand how people fail to keep their line? One can spot so many of these morons wavering around in lanes which is why I always steer clear of them. You never know when they'll waver in your lane. Seems like they are concentrating on doing everything else except for driving. High time people understand that driving is no joke and should be taken seriously. Just grinds my gears
Old 20th January 2013, 12:08   #5006
BHPian

Quote:

I noticed a almost new beat driving slowly on left lane. A huge truck was driving on right even more slowly. The beat had almost overtaken truck from left, when somehow it started moving towards the truck. Krap, I shouted sensing a collision. Perhaps truck driver was sensible, he rammed his vehicle in median and slammed on brakes. The beat still almost got entagled in the left side of truck fender. The beat kept on moving like nothing is happening. The beat literally took the fender, damaging it and its own car. Holy cow, beat is still moving like nothing happened. I crossed the truck, the driver looked pissed. I went near beat now back to left lane. There a L on rear glass. More trouble it was driven by a lady alone. Also, she was wearing dark shades. I for once assumed she is oblivious to other vehicles because she is wearing dark shades.

I crossed the beat carefully and its right rear had a nasty hit. She had no clue that her life was just saved by a quick thinking truck driver. Had it been those SRS travels type travellers, she was history. I felt like stopping and giving the retard lady a stick,but then my wife forced me not to.

Whew what a character!
And that is exactly why a learner needs to have company. Driving is more than knowing the ABC usage, length and width of your car and how well you can park. It is also about calculating and making decisions which come only by experience. A regular driver next to her would have told her exactly what to do. I am sure each of us had those panic attacks when learning how to drive. It takes a toll at that moment and there is a lot of mental stress hence in that panic she ended up in that situation.

She probably will not touch the car for months in fear of hitting it again. She should thank the wise truck driver for saving her limbs and vehicle.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:30   #5007
BHPian

I saw a mad lady yesterday.
She was trying to drive a Zen alone with the L sign. The car was parked on the road so she got it out and immediately tried to take a left and in the process banged a scooter.
The lady on the scooter started arguing with the lady in the car.
Now, it was 8:30pm, the lady was "driving" the Zen without any lights. And on top of that after the argument she cranked the car - "weird sound", again cranked - again "weird sound". She wasn't knowing that the engine is already running!

Then some guy told her that the car is running so don't crank it. After that she tried engaging the gear and couldn't do so even after several attempts.

Such people are a big safety hazard on our roads. I've seen many of them drive or ride without caring a bit of what is happening in the surroundings. A lady on an Activa once came out of her building and rode straight in the middle of the road and almost crashing in my car. I had to brake hard from 50kmph and the guy who was tailgating me almost kissed my car. And the lady was totally unaware of all this, obviously.

Some other instances :
1) I was at the gym. Now there is a small nursery/ play group in the same building so parents often come to pick their students.
It is a two-lane road with one lane for each direction and parking on both the sides. Now this lady comes in a Honda City ZX, parks the car perpendicular to the footpath and happily goes away to pick her child! Inconveniencing others for 15 minutes!

2) Again at the gym. I had parked my car parallel to the footpath, like all other cars. There was a WagonR ahead of my car but there was a bit more gap between our cars because of a small tree. Behind my car were 4-5 bikes. Now a Honda city comes and parks his car in a slanting manner between my car and the tree ahead in such a way that I can't move my car ahead even a bit because of this dimwit and obviously I can't go back because of the bikes. I wasn't present when he parked liked this.
After I reached my car I waited 5 mins and asked nearby people if the car was theirs. The guy doesn't turn up even after 20 mins. Then another guy came and we started moving all the bikes that were parked behind my car one by one and finally I could go! Too bad I didn't have a pen and paper with me else . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-untitled.jpg  

StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 16:36   #5008
Distinguished - BHPian

Taking the wrong lane to jump ahead, Koramangala.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-r1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-r2.jpg
Old 20th January 2013, 16:47   #5009
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Taking the wrong lane to jump ahead, Koramangala.
I truly hate these lane jumpers. I pray they all die and go to hell.
This picture is almost certainly taken on 8th Main Road at the point where it joins the Sarjapur Road near Krupanidhi College. This is the scene of many a traffic lane discipline and speeding violation.
It is exactly a depiction of the circumstance I detailed out a week or two ago on this self same thread.
Horrible people.
Old 20th January 2013, 16:55   #5010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I truly hate these lane jumpers. I pray they all die and go to hell.
This picture is almost certainly taken on 8th Main Road at the point where it joins the Sarjapur Road near Krupanidhi College. This is the scene of many a traffic lane discipline and speeding violation.
It is exactly a depiction of the circumstance I detailed out a week or two ago on this self same thread.
Horrible people.
This I think is the Seva Sadan road which meets Sarjapur road. (Is it also called 8th main ? )
Even I have noticed this practice at that location consistently. Dont know whats the hurry.

Last edited by ampere : 20th January 2013 at 17:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks