Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:24   #5086
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Thanks guys. I have tried what you're suggesting and in doing so I have almost suffered heart attacks. If I block the left most lane in a traffic jam suddenly I have 'Gangs of New Delhi' all around my vehicle like a mob trying to demolish the barrier ahead. Before I know it 10% of the bike has crossed my rear wheel and now he's creeping up ahead and braking each time he fails. His fellow revolutionary behind him will now creep on his right and with every stop rest his wheel on my bumper. At the same time he will nudge the guy trying his best to ride my wheel to move ahead and from two they become five and then a dozen. With my cocktail green Beat in panic mode I have two options, stick to my lane minus my mirror and a bit of paint or to give way and live another day to contribute to this thread.
On a lighter note, the following accessory could instill some commonsense in those errant drivers.
Name:  bs200.png
Views: 1961
Size:  356.2 KB Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-sila-concepts-polished-smart-car-bumper-spikes-1.jpg
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:46   #5087
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks guys. I have tried what you're suggesting and in doing so I have almost suffered heart attacks. If I block the left most lane in a traffic jam suddenly I have 'Gangs of New Delhi' all around my vehicle like a mob trying to demolish the barrier ahead. Before I know it 10% of the bike has crossed my rear wheel and now he's creeping up ahead and braking each time he fails. His fellow revolutionary behind him will now creep on his right and with every stop rest his wheel on my bumper. At the same time he will nudge the guy trying his best to ride my wheel to move ahead and from two they become five and then a dozen. With my cocktail green Beat in panic mode I have two options, stick to my lane minus my mirror and a bit of paint or to give way and live another day to contribute to this thread.
In Delhi, it is all about pretence. I have learnt that if you actually drive bumper to bumper and race threatening to take two wheelers with you, in the above situation they leave you alone. Unless you are in old Delhi.
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:35   #5088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
On a lighter note, the following accessory could instill some commonsense in those errant drivers.
Attachment 1046091 Attachment 1046090
SDP I could totally do that but the only thing that scares me if I am at fault for someone rearending me. How will I ever compensate or explain? But I get the funny side of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
In Delhi, it is all about pretence. I have learnt that if you actually drive bumper to bumper and race threatening to take two wheelers with you, in the above situation they leave you alone. Unless you are in old Delhi.
Chinkara rarely I rev the engine a little too hard to make someone disappear but I am not sure that is a good option. For all you know the biker might be someone dangerous. Considering I drop and pick my mother from work, I shall rule out this option.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but if you roll down the window and stare at the side view mirror at the biker behind he does calm down. Has worked for me a few times. I don't know if they can even see me but I personally feel it stops them short of your mirror.
Old 2nd February 2013, 10:08   #5089
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
SDP I could totally do that but the only thing that scares me if I am at fault for someone rearending me. How will I ever compensate or explain? But I get the funny side of it.
The funny thing is, how many of us have been really tempted (at least momentarily) to do something like this at some of point. Of course better sense prevailed, but the acute desire to 'get back' can not be denied.

One interesting incident: During first 15 days of my new Alto, street dogs partially pulled out the rubber side-strip on the right hand side front door. It was a black colored think strip and I let it dangle for a couple of days. Noticed that other motorist are leaving me a safety margin on my right side as the dangling rubber strip was resembling a metal strip!

I let it dangle for a few more days and enjoyed the privilege of not having to worry too much about one side of my car. Good fun! :-)

Last edited by SDP : 2nd February 2013 at 10:09.
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:11   #5090
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad judgement! This truck got stuck in this railway bridge. Happened near Erode.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0007optimized.jpg
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:30   #5091
BHPian

Quote:

Chinkara rarely I rev the engine a little too hard to make someone disappear but I am not sure that is a good option. For all you know the biker might be someone dangerous. Considering I drop and pick my mother from work, I shall rule out this option.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but if you roll down the window and stare at the side view mirror at the biker behind he does calm down. Has worked for me a few times. I don't know if they can even see me but I personally feel it stops them short of your mirror.
You need not be obnoxious or aggressive. Just don't give any space. And the threat you mentioned is more true of SUVs than bikes.
Old 8th February 2013, 22:13   #5092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Bad judgement! This truck got stuck in this railway bridge. Happened near Erode.
Attachment 1046325
Solution from old school-world quiz.
Slightly deflate the tyres and would be free.

Spotted this bad drivers at Trivandrum. Initially only the Esteem was parked thus and then the bike too joined in. Baddie joining baddie.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-parker.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 8th February 2013 at 22:18.
rajeev k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 02:32   #5093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

Spotted this bad drivers at Trivandrum. Initially only the Esteem was parked thus and then the bike too joined in. Baddie joining baddie.
Where exactly is this?

Am sure the biker thought it was "safe"to park in that manner.

Have seen cars too that park behind another badly parked car. The attitude is "I am wrong, but hey here's another one parked more wrong, so am fine".
Old 10th February 2013, 10:49   #5094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Perfect! Even I do this when I am in the leftmost or the rightmost lane in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I leave a gap which is not more than the narrowest vehicle possible in that scenario. So if its a bicycle, I inch closer to the divider or the curb. Its not about 'blocking' someone. Its about "If I am in the leftmost lane in a traffic jam, you can not create another lane on my left side".
Tried your method day before yesterday. The first underpass for Dwarka is perpetually jammed during peak hours. I was on the right most lane. There are drain covers on the gap between the right most lane and the underpass walls and some of those drain covers are open. A bike tried to sneak in through those drain covers and there were 3-4 bikes behind him. I knew if they cross they would again try to get ahead or worse get stuck because of the open drain covers and I would have to go left which isn't possible since the traffic is terrible unless I switch lanes at the expense of the irritation of the person on the left. I revved a little hard and blocked the right side with minimum gap and side view mirrors blocking the passage. The biker then later on came on my left stared for a second and zoomed ahead.

P.S : Maybe I was a little annoying in the way I revved ahead but if I hadn't I would have been the one giving the left indicator.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 10th February 2013 at 10:50. Reason: typo
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 11:51   #5095
BHPian

you look through your front windshield and see a UP registered nano LX (9105 as last digits) with full Team-bhp sticker set on the rear windshield and rear panel, both ORVMs closed and the driver talking on his mobile which his right hand is holding to his right ear, all in the midst of heavy traffic - that is how you spot bad drivers
D-nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 08:22   #5096
BHPian

The recent accident in Mumbai - a Honda Accord smashes everything on its way. It was driven by a hired driver and the passenger was the legal head of Vodafone India. What is the probability that this legal head was aware that the car was being driven on wrong side in a one way at a very high speed? Probably 100%, it is also probable that this happened everyday till yesterday.

This is the contribution of so-called educated people!
Old 17th February 2013, 10:22   #5097
BHPian

Spotted this in my office parking lot. These are the so called IT professionals owning expensive cars and lack some basic things!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20130216_002.jpg  

Old 18th February 2013, 21:30   #5098
Senior - BHPian

Saw these baddies (on driving) recently.
1. This school bus had its both tail lamps fully covered by this school admission banner. A nuisance to the car following this one. I did inform a person who is in the board of this school management. Results not known yet.
2. This bloke has his Indica parked with the hazard warning lamps on in an exclusive hotel parking lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-1.jpg  

Old 18th February 2013, 22:02   #5099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
2. This bloke has his Indica parked with the hazard warning lamps on in an exclusive hotel parking lot.
Would not call this as a BAD driver. Once, i happened to leave my headlamps on in a open parking lot during the day just because I had come out of a basement and had switched on my lights then.

A possibility, that he might have switched them on while entering/waiting for a parking spot and may have forgotten to switch them off. Yes, if he would be driving on the road in the same condition, then he has passed the qualification test for the thread.
Old 18th February 2013, 22:38   #5100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Would not call this as a BAD driver.
A possibility, that he might have switched them on while entering/waiting for a parking spot
Switching on the hazard warning lamp while entering or waiting at a parking lot, during rains, in tunnels, while reversing, for going straight etc is what distinguishes a bad driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks