Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 22:54   #5101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Switching on the hazard warning lamp while entering or waiting at a parking lot, during rains, in tunnels, while reversing, for going straight etc is what distinguishes a bad driver.
In my car central locking system, there is a button to turn on hazard lamp. It might be that, same system is in his car and button got pressed accidentally.

Same happened with me once, But as it was night and place where i parked car was very dark, I could see it from distance and then i switched them off.

Not necessarily a bad driver.
Old 18th February 2013, 23:14   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Switching on the hazard warning lamp while entering or waiting at a parking lot, during rains, in tunnels, while reversing, for going straight etc is what distinguishes a bad driver.
I agree, hazard lamps while in tunnels or during rains and even for going straight are the signs of a bad driver.

What if I am at a parking lot and I see a car getting out from its spot, and I intend to park there, and I switch on my hazard lamps to let others know that I have stopped here for a bit and others can go ahead. While entering a parking lot, no, only indicators should do the job. But, why would you consider a PARKED car with hazard lights on as a BAD driver.
Some cars come with systems that when a door is opened or the car is fiddled with, you have flashing of hazard lights without sirens or the sirens have gone kaput. Couldn't this be the case as well? As long as he was not driving with the hazard lights, i don't find it a problem.

Just my views.
Old 19th February 2013, 00:03   #5103
Distinguished - BHPian

Lights ON and the driver thinks he has the right of way. This loaded truck almost crashed in this this Dzire. Location: Near gottigere - BG Road.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo00g11optimized.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0g012optimized.jpg

Again near gottigere junction, BG Road. These BMTC buses give us a feeling as though its a One-Way and we are on the wrong lane. Happens every day.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0015optimized.jpg
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:40   #5104
BHPian

Last evening was the one of the worst days of rush traffic I have ever experienced in Kochi. There were traffic snarls everywhere, bringing out the best bad drivers in everyone.
I think the two day strike caused this, and everyone were scurrying to either fill up their inventory or do the trips that they would have done in the next two days.
Witnessed at least three rear endings between autos and cars, and several inter-bike skirmishes.
Bikers were trying to fill every spot available, and honking to glory, as if the car in front would be able use their jets and lift vertically to let them pass!

Last edited by Binzone : 20th February 2013 at 11:42.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:49   #5105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Lights ON and the driver thinks he has the right of way. This loaded truck almost crashed in this this Dzire. Location: Near gottigere - BG Road.

Attachment 1053210

Attachment 1053211

Again near gottigere junction, BG Road. These BMTC buses give us a feeling as though its a One-Way and we are on the wrong lane. Happens every day.

Attachment 1053209
These pictures remind me of my commute to my office in JP Nagar. Every day in spite of free roads, on coming cars (well educated IT folks, at least their car's and dress code indicates) come in the opposite lane. I just do not get the logic and make sure that I do not budge forcing them to go to their lane. At times when I ask them for this way of driving one gets a "sheepish grin and a big sorry"

Last edited by sumathindra : 20th February 2013 at 12:51. Reason: edits
Old 20th February 2013, 13:58   #5106
BHPian

Another accident in Mumbai, again intriguing! Mercedes owner arrested for hitting 5 in Four Bungalows - http://expressindia.indianexpress.co...alows/1076712/

Quote:
Police found the front number plate of the car at the crime scene and traced his address through a Mercedes Benz showroom in Andheri (West). They had drawn a blank at Thane RTO where the car was registered.
How is it possible that RTO does not have the car/owner details, but Mercedes showroom has?
Old 20th February 2013, 17:21   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Another accident in Mumbai, again intriguing! Mercedes owner arrested for hitting 5 in Four Bungalows - http://expressindia.indianexpress.co...alows/1076712/

How is it possible that RTO does not have the car/owner details, but Mercedes showroom has?
This looks like a scene from a movie. Jokes apart the car owner must be held accountable and also must bear the medical expenses of the victims. The problem in our country is such people walk free with a mere bond amount! disgusting
Old 21st February 2013, 21:26   #5108
BHPian

Just saw this post at Jalopnik. The article portrays the observations of Mr.Jason who was in India for an Indian company sponsored event. Would like to hear our fellow members opinions.

Read the article here
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 00:31   #5109
A M
BHPian

Drivers who use rear fog lamps on clear nights qualify as bad drivers.
Its more annoying to follow such drivers than facing on-coming high beams.
Old 22nd February 2013, 12:29   #5110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
It is an extension of the bad driving culture. A lot of luxury cars are registered on non-metropolitan addresses to avoid paying octroi (at least in Mumbai and Pune). Half the time these addresses are fake.

The whole concept of sending a ticket to the registered address of a vehicle is laughable in India.
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:16   #5111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

It is an extension of the bad driving culture. A lot of luxury cars are registered on non-metropolitan addresses to avoid paying octroi (at least in Mumbai and Pune). Half the time these addresses are fake.

The whole concept of sending a ticket to the registered address of a vehicle is laughable in India.
I suppose that dealers are complicit in this illegal activity and Mercedes is not alone. The solution should be straight forward.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:32   #5112
Distinguished - BHPian

Truck on the wrong lane, to avoid a 'U' turn - Bannerghatta Road

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0022optimized.jpg
Old 24th February 2013, 10:42   #5113
Senior - BHPian

Bad drivers or 'Parkers' in Pune. The sign says parking only for 2 wheelers. But Puneri Punekars have a penchant for not obeying any traffic rule at all !

No offense meant to all those who obey the rules, but some people create a bad name for everyone. This was taken near Fergusson college, outside Hotel Roopali.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0005.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0006.jpg

A few more inches higher and he would have snagged a branch above on the tree...

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0398.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0399.jpg

Playing blind man's buff round the corner.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0392.jpg

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 24th February 2013 at 10:52. Reason: Added more pictures
Old 24th February 2013, 11:54   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Playing blind man's buff round the corner.

Attachment 1054992
Still OK... Check this out !!!

Non-Indian, but surely takes the cake !
(Source: Facebook)

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-563394_535464279808400_2043713032_n.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 21:30   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily! Switching on hazards in a tunnel and rains is not correct, although large no of drivers are now doing it and some state's police advocate the same, however hazards while reversing is a feature which comes with several cars on which autocop/security system is retrofitted.

Hazards are supposed to make a vehicle conspicious and hence avoid accidents, so switching them on when waiting on a busy street seems ok to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks