Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:05   #5131
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
This post is a confession. I became a bad driver on thursday. A very bad one at that.
It is good that you spoke it out in public, not many have the strength to do it.
We get distracted many times while traveling with family/friends and this happens to all of us.
My friends generally wonder why I talk so less while driving, they never understand.

Forget the incident for now, it will keep on disturbing.
Continue to drive safe.
Old 2nd March 2013, 19:30   #5132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Its a usual sight in most of rural Maharashtra. Used to be more common until new 6 seater three wheelers and Tata ace and Mahindra small people movers stepped in.
These ancient Mahindra jeeps used to run on bald, narrow cross ply tyres, which used to slip during braking and aquaplane merrily in rains.
And this would result in a 'minor mishap involving an accident on the highway - six killed'.
Life is cheap in India.
We are a fecund race of creatures so twenty four more will step into the breach left by the departure of the other six as above.
Like that mythical Rakshasa named Raktabheeja from each of whose drops of blood sprang two more mini Raktabheejas!
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:55   #5133
BHPian

Having recently driven around the roads of Margao I completely understand what situation you were in. I would like to share my bad experience on a recent trip to Himachal Pradesh.

We had encountered weekend traffic going back towards Delhi/Punjab/Haryana from Naldhera/Shimla and were comfortably and safely overtaking keeping all precautions in mind. I was behind a bus for a while and was looking to overtake him. However I chose not to go ahead since the curves were coming often and there wasn't a straight stretch to race ahead.

I suddenly saw the bus driver signalling via his hand to overtake. Since I could not see much ahead due to sheer size of the bus I decided to take his word for it and started to overtake him.

The next thing I know is on the opposite lane which I was on now, another state bus was speeding towards me. I had already overtaken the bus by half and stopping or slowing down would have definitely caused an accident. Thankfully my head worked and I downshifted further to second and revved as hard as I could and barely managed to overtake the bus and get on the right lane while avoiding the oncoming bus by just a few cms.

I learnt my lesson the hard way. I felt guilty because I had a co-passenger who had put their safety in my hands and I felt extremely silly and foolish for following the driver's signal without using my own judgement.

The lesson was to be alert at all times and not trust anyone's judgement. Maybe the bus driver did this intentionally or maybe he made a mistake the point is avoiding that situation was in my hands and the responsibility of my machine and the people in my car is mine. Lesson learnt.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 2nd March 2013 at 21:56. Reason: typo
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:05   #5134
BHPian

Quote:
This post is a confession. I became a bad driver on thursday. A very bad one at that.

Dude, I don't know who you are, but if you ever read this, please accept my whole-hearted apologies. It was completely my mistake. I know I should have been more careful and kept my attention on the road rather than letting myself get distracted. That is the lesson I will take away from this incident and make sure I stay a careful and safe driver in future. I also sincerely thank my stars that I made it through and nothing unfortunate took place. Sorry again!!

I also apologize if someone feels it is inappropriate for me to post this here, but this has been mentally troubling me ever since. Especially being a BHPian, I feel it is a bigger responsibility for me to drive safe. I just felt like speaking out and confessing here, and make sure that something of this sort does not happen again.
Man, it takes real guts to post like this in an open forum. You are a true BHP'ian. Happens to all of us in some "wild" moment. Do not let it distract from your normal self. Drive safe and take care. My best regards.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:46   #5135
BHPian

Quote:

I was travelling from Ponda to Margao. For those who know, this was on the downward slope just before Top-Cola.
Finally, you did it. You are nothing less than a hero, a real Bhpian. You wholeheartedly confessed your mistake, only a real man can do what you did here. It's true like daylight that most of us becomes really bad behind the wheel at one time or other but accepting the mistake makes a whole world of difference. You accepted, apologized, and made a worthy promise.
While this thread is about bad drivers, we have spotted a good one and that's you. Kudos brother
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:17   #5136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
yes his mobile call is more important than his life :(

wonder how hard it could be to park on the side. finish call. move on with life.
Who knows, it might be the Yamdoot on the call saying "its timeup for you".
But looks like he managed to convince for the time being.
Old 3rd March 2013, 21:51   #5137
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this Bolero on the NH-7 towards Bangalore from the airport side. Let the video speak for itself.

Old 3rd March 2013, 22:29   #5138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Spotted this Bolero on the NH-7 towards Bangalore from the airport side. Let the video speak for itself.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=T5xKT...ature=Youtu.be
First time im seeing a car slide like that. :O
Usually its the Trucks and buses that slide like that on the freeway!
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:46   #5139
BHPian

Quote:

I know that it was something weird with the Bolero sliding, but can someone explain it to me that how is it possible for a vehicle to slide like this!
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:48   #5140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post

I know that it was something weird with the Bolero sliding, but can someone explain it to me that how is it possible for a vehicle to slide like this!
If you closely observe, the bolero is completely out of shape. The front wheels are heading in one direction and the rear ones in another, they are not at all aligned. It may have been due to an accident and the chasis is out of shape.

By the way, when I saw this Bolero in the OVRMS, I first thought that this guy had lost control and would hit the barricade. But it wasn't the case. He was doing speeds of around 80-90 in this vehicle. A recipe for disaster.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:53   #5141
BHPian

Quote:
If you closely observe, the bolero is completely out of shape. The front wheels are heading in one direction and the rear ones in another, they are not at all aligned. It may have been due to an accident and the chasis is out of shape.

By the way, when I saw this Bolero in the OVRMS, I first thought that this guy had lost control and would hit the barricade. But it wasn't the case. He was doing speeds of around 80-90 in this vehicle. A recipe for disaster.
Thanks for the explanation.
Aren't there any rules in the RTO that the vehicle must be fit to be on road. I mean, the chassis is completly out of shape and still doing insane speeds.

Don't the Traffic Police guys stop these people? Sorry for the foolish questions, this is the first time I have seen such a vehicle!
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:58   #5142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.
Aren't there any rules in the RTO that the vehicle must be fit to be on road. I mean, the chassis is completly out of shape and still doing insane speeds.

Don't the Traffic Police guys stop these people? Sorry for the foolish questions, this is the first time I have seen such a vehicle!
Firstly this did not have any registration plates. This vehicle will qualify to be fit at one place only, thats junk yard. But thanks to our system, the vehicles in such state still ply on our roads.

Traffic cops today were more worried about organized traffic for VIP's visit on the airport road.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:55   #5143
BHPian

Quote:

AFAIK, Bolero has rear leaf spring suspension. This happens when one of the main leafsprings or the U-pin holding the springs with axle is broken. It causes the axle to shift and hence the vehicle loses alignment. If driven like this, the springs could break completely and the axle will be separated from the vehicle.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 10:35   #5144
Distinguished - BHPian

Not strapping the helmet is as good as not wearing the helmet.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-photo0013optimized.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-snap1optimized.jpg
Old 5th March 2013, 10:54   #5145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Not strapping the helmet is as good as not wearing the helmet.
Well, actually its more dangerous, as it could roll off or fly off, depending on the hit, and hurt some one else .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks