Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2013, 11:05   #5146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Not strapping the helmet is as good as not wearing the helmet.
These helmets themselves are not designed to protect the heads in vehicle crashes. They are meant to protect the policemen from attacks with stones or blunt weapons.

Bikers' helmets have to be ISI certified, and I don't think our policemen's helmets can ever clear the ISI standards!
Old 7th March 2013, 12:40   #5147
Senior - BHPian

what do you say to this - money can't buy brains or my grandfather road?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_1240.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 14:53   #5148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Not necessarily! Switching on hazards in a tunnel and rains is not correct, although large no of drivers are now doing it and some state's police advocate the same, however hazards while reversing is a feature which comes with several cars on which autocop/security system is retrofitted.

Hazards are supposed to make a vehicle conspicious and hence avoid accidents, so switching them on when waiting on a busy street seems ok to me.
Switching on hazards in rain during nights is actually very inconvenient to the vehicles which are behind. The flashing lights reflect on water drops and create strain for drivers who are behind. Switching them on during day rains is okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
AFAIK, Bolero has rear leaf spring suspension. This happens when one of the main leafsprings or the U-pin holding the springs with axle is broken. It causes the axle to shift and hence the vehicle loses alignment. If driven like this, the springs could break completely and the axle will be separated from the vehicle.
Usually a set of leaf spring are bound by clamps on front and rear and the centre bolt, which is usually referred to as "I - Pin Bolt" in local parlance, keeps the plates aligned. U-Clamps are mounted at various points on that set of plates to keep the plates ( leaf springs ) in position. Among the few points is the double U Clamp which fastens the axle to the leaf spring set. Other u clamps keep the plates tight against themselves, preventing the horizontal movement of individual plates.

The case of the Bolero seems to be of a broken plate and or loosening of the clamp(s), or worn out 'shackle bushes' ( these fix the either end to chassis).
The broken I Pin Bolt is most probably the least cause for the Bolero's rear sideway ride because the I Pin bolt (centre bolt) is the pivot and if that is broken, the U clamps that fasten the axle to the leaf springs would have given away and the axle wouldnt be able to be held in place.

Contrary to the opinions expressed here, vehicles like that are common place. Most common cause is(over) load on rear axle.

Apart from the leaf spring side, another reason could be a faulty cross member, but chances of it are slim.

Note from Support - Please use the Multi-Quote option to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back-to-back posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th March 2013 at 15:14. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:59   #5149

I think Signal breaking is one of the most dangerous traffic violation the most dangerous perpetrators are the cops who allow a meagre bribe acceptance for a signal breaking.

The next most dangerous are the drivers "A" who are around 50 meters to the signal and have around 3-5 secs of green left on the signal and the next batch of drivers waiting for their green who assume that driver "A" will not make it.

Second IMO are the bandana covered "Calamity Janes" on bikes in Pune.
Old 11th March 2013, 18:27   #5150
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw a family getting into a very smart Mecedes at Hotel Savera, Chennai, yesterday.

Full marks to the woman in the front passenger seat for fastening her seat belt, but she looses them all, and more, for then having a small child on her lap.

Bad driving? Yes! The driver is the on responsible for all in the car.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:41   #5151
BHPian

Became a bad driver today. I had parked my car on the road yesterday night. It was a tight parallel parking spot. When i got out of the car my car was close to the car behind (i.e my back bumper was close to the front bumper of the car behind) but was parked perfectly.

Today morning when i tried to back out i forgot the fact that there was only little space behind. Instead going in the front i reversed a bit thinking i had enough space(was already tensed thinking of some other issue) and bang hit the front bumper of the car behind. i couldnt assess the damage as the car was covered fully. I am feeling very bad.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:52   #5152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Became a bad driver today. I had parked my car on the road yesterday night. It was a tight parallel parking spot. When i got out of the car my car was close to the car behind (i.e my back bumper was close to the front bumper of the car behind) but was parked perfectly.

Today morning when i tried to back out i forgot the fact that there was only little space behind. Instead going in the front i reversed a bit thinking i had enough space(was already tensed thinking of some other issue) and bang hit the front bumper of the car behind. i couldnt assess the damage as the car was covered fully. I am feeling very bad.
Since the speed must have been less and the distance was also very less, dont think anything would have happened. It would most probably have been just a nudge. Car cover was also there, so the chances of scratches etc will also be minimized. Do you know who owns the car? If yes, you can inform them about it.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 11:02   #5153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Since the speed must have been less and the distance was also very less, dont think anything would have happened. It would most probably have been just a nudge. Car cover was also there, so the chances of scratches etc will also be minimized. Do you know who owns the car? If yes, you can inform them about it.
I dont know that guy. I have just seen him that's it. I thought of speaking to him if he was there but couldnt find him. They are already insisting people not to park cars over there, since there is no space for these guys to park.

But when things like these happen i tend to get a feeling that i am still not an expert after driving for 5 years.

Last edited by vishnu.csk : 13th March 2013 at 11:09.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:38   #5154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
But when things like these happen i tend to get a feeling that i am still not an expert after driving for 5 years.
Simple piece of advice. Do what I do. Every morning before getting into the car do a walk around it. I do this every day just to ensure that I don't have any flat tyres. Doing this will ensure that you are aware of your car's surroundings.
vikram_d is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 12:12   #5155
BHPian

Last week, I noticed a very well educated guy driving his Merc with one hand and shaving using a normal razor (either a twin or triple type, and not the electric). Must have been a very important meeting that he had to shave whilst in the car!! I am not sure how he would react if he hits one of the bad pot holes or if he had to brake suddenly. Why is it that a guy who is well educated and can afford a merc not have some common sense and understand that its a risk to him and other road users.
Old 13th March 2013, 19:15   #5156
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle is jam packed with all sorts of stuff and if you look closely (at this bad picture) a guy can be spotted precariously perched amidst the junk n there. Too dangerous in case of accidents.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-auto.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th March 2013 at 19:27. Reason: added inset
Old 13th March 2013, 22:36   #5157
BHPian

Bad driver: Driving in high beam when you have only one lamp working, and that too the left one.

I almost crashed into an amby that looked like a bike with an extra strong lamp.
Binzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 22:39   #5158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Last week, I noticed a very well educated guy driving his Merc with one hand and shaving using a normal razor
A strong case for providing the vanity mirror on the driver's sun-visor by Merc Wealth and education doesn't bring in commonsense.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th March 2013 at 22:41.
Old 13th March 2013, 23:28   #5159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Last week, I noticed a very well educated guy driving his Merc with one hand and shaving using a normal razor (either a twin or triple type, and not the electric). Must have been a very important meeting that he had to shave whilst in the car!!
This surely takes the cake ! All this while I thought it only happens in movies. I wonder what he'd do if he hurts himself in the process. Go to the meeting looking like he's just been in a brawl.
Old 14th March 2013, 08:59   #5160
BHPian

Yesterday near Manipal signal I was following a BHPian's OHC.
After this signal the speed was around 50 kmph I guess, not sure though.

Suddenly the Honda City guy presses his brakes in hurry, so do I. All fine.
Horror, I hear screeching sound and smash into rear of my Duster. Krap not again.
I went down and I can see an Alto smashed up. Its bonnet is severly damaged. Bonnet cover turned into a inverted V.

A middle aged man came down and looked distraught.
Then I looked at Duster. Bloody hell, few minor scratches nothing serious.

I asked gentleman if he is ok? He replied in affirmative. I asked were you sleeping or what? He says, he braked pretty late. I asked him to take it easy and start the car. He put some caps in engine back in place and started the car. Thankfully it started. I advised him to pay attention to road.

I do not know what was he doing, sleeping behind wheels or talking on phone. But the stop was just fine. May be he was too close to car but I think he smashed after a good gap of 5-6 secs so must be lost or talking on his phone.

EDIT: In all this episode, I was not enraged at all. Perhaps now I have become used to such idiocy on roads.

Last edited by acroback : 14th March 2013 at 09:01.
acroback is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks