Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 11:43   #5206
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Wondering if her / her child's life is more important or the petrol!
In India petrol is more important than someone's life.

Since we are in a bigger vehicle, no matter what the blame is directly on us.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 12:01   #5207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Today I had to take an urgent brake there as a mother , without helmet, with her 3-4 year old kid in the scooty decided to save those 2 drops of petrol. Wondering if her / her child's life is more important or the petrol!
This can be seen everywhere, in fact these riders ask their pillion to get down lift the rear of the bike and cross the divider. It is more dangerous in the Domlur inner ring road, I have seen a couple of times bikes peeping from the shrubs growing on the divider in one of the turns, its scary as you are in the inner line of the turn and suddenly you see a tire popping out from the right. No wonder BBMP is trying to construct those 1 foot high dividers.

Last edited by motomaverick : 20th March 2013 at 12:03.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:28   #5208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Regarding ABS, I dont think it would have been activated if the brakes were applied gently as ABS activates only when it detects a wheel lock up which usually happens only on hard braking, unless in snowy or gravel road conditions. Leave it to the experts to correct my understanding if wrong
Your understanding is right to a certain extent. Yes ABS only activates if it detects wheel lock. I guess it depends from car to car and system to system, but generally ABS gets activated on hard braking. It can get activated if it gets fooled by dust or water too which is why it is not great in off road conditions
Old 21st March 2013, 11:56   #5209
BHPian

Had a very funny experience yesterday. Travelling from HAL airport to Victoria Layout I was nearing the signal from where you take a right to trinity circle. I kept to the left lane as I had to go straight at the signal. Signal was on stop to turn right and there was a small queue of vehicles waiting to turn towards trinity. However signal was on go to proceed straight. There was a Duster ahead of me and to my horror an I10 guy just cut across into my lane missing the rear of the Duster by inches and I had to literally stand on the brakes. I let him join the lane and then the fun started.

At the next signal I was parallel with him , this guy in formals and blue tooth attached , asks me -" Whats you problem ?" "I was ahead of you, so you have to wait for me " ! I was lost for a moment - Then told him to kindly refer to lane discipline and usage of indicators - And his reply actually amused me - " You should go back to your America - This is India and This is Bangalore - This is how driving happens here". I dont know whom to blame ? Him ? or his parents ? or all of us who are someway or the other responsible for his notions.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 21st March 2013 at 12:18.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:13   #5210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
I dont know whom to blame ? Him ? or his parents ? or all of us to have brought who are someway or the other responsible for his notions.
Mostly him. The problem with people like him is that just because they own and can drive a car, they think that they own the roads.

I have said this so many times before, I wish people had just a little bit of patience. You'll get to your destination when you get to it and it's not like other road users are out for a Sunday drive. We all need to get somewhere and that is the only reason we are out on the roads.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:51   #5211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont know whom to blame ? Him ? or his parents ? or all of us who are someway or the other responsible for his notions.
Agree with Vikram, he learnt it. But the saying goes "Charity begins at home". His dad / some male relative must be an autowallah or a cabbie. Somehow he has learnt the antics from the previous generations. Education doesn't always guarantee civic sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
and it's not like other road users are out for a Sunday drive. We all need to get somewhere and that is the only reason we are out on the roads.
I would partially agree with you. There are road users who are actually out on a Sunday drive during peak traffic. I have seen people eating away fruits to parathas while driving. The jam for Kundanahalli signal starts right from the Marathalli bridge. Instead of people following lanes and keeping in tandem with the flow, there are people who sit back and enjoy food in the car. What happens ? Well, the vehicle ahead of him moved, leaving a gap, which is happy filled by two more cars, bikes, autos by quick changing of lanes. So he is now 2/3 vehicles behind and so I am.
I absolutely hate these Sunday drivers to the core of my heart. Boils my blood and I start mad honking at times.
Old 21st March 2013, 13:09   #5212
Distinguished - BHPian

This morning as I turned into Hinjewadi main road, realized that the left side of the road had been dug up. As if that road isn't congested and narrow enough already, this meant that exactly two lanes of cars could proceed in parallel.

And then I notice one of those Puneri special right-hand-side drivers, this one on a rickety old scooter- no helmet or anything naturally- merrily cruising towardsme against the traffic flow. Since the right lane was moving, I had to actually come to a complete halt to allow this lawless moron past me.

This is when I thought I'd have some fun. I could see him clearly through my front windscreen (and vice versa) so I mouthed a Marathi expletive at him. No change in expression, no hand gestures, nothing. And then another. He did a double take when he realised what I was probably doing. Peered in through the passenger window as he passed me. I maintained my pleasant expression and did it again.

Made me feel great, no negative energy expended and so easily deniable if the guy confronts you! I drove the rest of the way to ofice with a big grin on my face.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:10   #5213

In states like Rasasthan,Gujrat, Punjab, Haryana, UP etc where roads are good, traffic is minimal with no dividers. Vehicles such as Mahindra jeeps(commander), Bolaro, Force/Trax, Sumo, Qualis. One must watch for this catagory of vehicles, here the drivers are very young with hardly any experience of driving. They operate Taxis and are always speeding to pick up passangers and in speed competition within their own community of drivers and public transport.
Old 21st March 2013, 14:24   #5214
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know whom to blame ? Him ? or his parents ? or all of us who are someway or the other responsible for his notions.
I think we should blame the guy who taught him to drive. I have never lived in US or Europe for considerable period of time, but my Dad who actually taught me to drive told me and made me realize the significance of all these things on road.

If his teacher would have slapped him in school / or his driving instructor would have corrected him, life would have been more easier for us who try to follow discipline on the road, but sadly we are in minority these days.

This is a big problem in Bangalore and other metros which are seeing a lot of immigration from other parts of the country, people learn to drive on country roads and most of their instructors too have no idea of what discipline and driving etiquette is, they come to bigger towns where they are expected to display these skills more often and hence they fail considerably there, but since they are in majority, nobody seems to mind it.

Another etiquette which totally boils my blood is the unnecessary use of horn on the road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
TI maintained my pleasant expression and did it again.

Made me feel great, no negative energy expended and so easily deniable if the guy confronts you! I drove the rest of the way to ofice with a big grin on my face.
These days I have started to have fun with these morons, whenever some car walah who is an absolute moron on the road comes next to me on the red light / signal, I ask him, seems like you had a bad day, did you fight with your wife, and then I roll up my windows, and the guy would just lose his mind, a lot of times people got off their car and started banging my windows, the best part is yet to come, when you look at them from inside and smile and accelerate off, priceless I say! <revenge is a dish best served cold>

Last edited by evilshantanu : 21st March 2013 at 14:29.
Old 21st March 2013, 19:48   #5215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another etiquette which totally boils my blood is the unnecessary use of horn on the road....
My driving instructor specifically asked me to use horn at every nook and corner and intersection - liberally at that. I refused to follow that instruction then, and I still abide by that. We have a driver we hire for occasional long trips for my parents, and, I nearly had a full fledged fight with him about the use of horns. He would randomly honk on 4 lane expressways when there is nothing or no one on the road. Had to ask him to stop honking or stop driving.
Old 21st March 2013, 20:22   #5216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

My driving instructor specifically asked me to use horn at every nook and corner and intersection - liberally at that. I refused to follow that instruction then, and I still abide by that. We have a driver we hire for occasional long trips for my parents, and, I nearly had a full fledged fight with him about the use of horns. He would randomly honk on 4 lane expressways when there is nothing or no one on the road. Had to ask him to stop honking or stop driving.
Although i agree that use of excessive honking is nerve wrecking at times and some drivers take it to a different level like using horn on an expressway when no one is around, but I still agree with your instructor. Our streets are full of idiots and morons at every corner, something like shown in recent ceat bike tyre advertisements. And one can never be sure even if its your turn/signal to cross the road or take a turn. There are people who are coming from the wrong way, jumping signals, pedestrians, animals and what not. So I don't think honking at corners etc is that bad an idea. Ofcourse this cannot be generalised to every turn but most of the times it will do you more good than bad.

I just had to settle a bill of 50k Rs in replacing the whole left side of my sunny because my sister failed to anticipate a speeding car that broke the red signal. Pictures of the same can be found in the accidents thread.

Last edited by drmohitg : 21st March 2013 at 20:26.
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:39   #5217
BHPian

Yesterday i was coming out of my block in Tidel park towards my parking area. A KA registered xylo was backing out of its parking slot. There were 2 ladies inside it. She kept on coming backwards and i was wondering what she was doing as her car was very close to the i10 behind. I thought she would steer the other way but she was still trying to back out and bang she hit the front bumper of i10. Both of them came out saw what happened to the i10 and they were relieved as there was not much damage. They were laughing at me when they were trying to get in. The security guy immediately called up the admin office and informed the incident. The i10 owner was on her way to check the car. The security guy forgot to note down the xylo number.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2013, 22:45   #5218
BHPian

Today I was almost fined for lane violation at SAP signal.
I was pushed out of lane by a bully auto and I was not able get into right lane swiftly.

Well that make me a bad driver, I should have kept going straight instead of relenting to a auto squeezing in between and honking from behind.

Also spotted a SX4 with LTD sticker, I think I got a response.
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:00   #5219

I guess, I can easily be classified as a bad driver because I have a habit of changing lanes quite too often and that too in city traffic. Well, I always blame it on those bad drivers (especially aged uncles and ladies) who crawl into the right lane and do not give way to those who are behind them.

It doesn't leave me no option other than cutting through the traffic from left, right and wherever I could find space enough for my car.
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:27   #5220
BHPian

My top three:
  1. Pizza Delivery Guys
  2. Grameen Seva vehicles(if you live in New Delhi, you know what I mean)
  3. DTC buses

Most Viewed