Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 21:32   #5221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
My top three:
[*]Pizza Delivery Guys[*]Grameen Seva vehicles(if you live in New Delhi, you know what I mean)[*]DTC buses
The third one I disagree with. DTC buses are actually one of the most predictable and consistent vehicles on road. Lots of private vehicles, autos and call centre cabs come ahead.

Also regarding the first point, I don't see pizza delivery bikes to be any worse than other bikes on road. Yes they are in a hurry. But much worse are college guys set to show off, esp. with girlfriend riding pillion. Or uncles on scooters hogging an entire lane.
Old 24th March 2013, 21:54   #5222
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwidFE View Post
My top three:
[*]Pizza Delivery Guys
I do not blame pizza guys. Yes, they ride crazily. But it is because of us. We do not pay them if they are late by few minutes.
Old 25th March 2013, 01:12   #5223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
We do not pay them if they are late by few minutes.
I assume by "we", you mean the customers. If yes, I beg to differ. Here's why: It's not the customers that dictate the terms and conditions for pizza delivery but the pizza making companies themselves. The customers are looking for an opportunity to exploit that so that they may enjoy a free pizza.
Anyway, the pizza companies should come up with a practicable delivery time on a case by case basis and if they can't meet that, then they should offset that by, say, a 50% reduction in the cost or such.
Guys that deliver pizzas drive absolutely crazy flouting all rules, if there are any.
Iluvcars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 01:50   #5224
BHPian

This happened while I was returning home from work after a night shift, at around 6:30 AM.
I was cruising at 70-80 km/hr on the right lane of a 2 lane divided road when I see a green Qualis slowly making its way ahead with the right set of wheels in my lane and the rest in the left lane. I honked 2-3 times to make him aware of my presence anticipating he would move back to his lane and give me my way, but the Qualis kept on going for another 50-100 mts. A the road became wider, I overtook him, to see a wonderful sight. Neatly folded and tucked away on the steering is that morning's newspaper and the guy was reading through it while coasting along oblivious to what is happening around him. I just hope some unfortunate soul doesn't get a space in the next day's newspaper because of brainless guys like these.
jayded is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 10:56   #5225
Senior - BHPian

@Jayded: You must have nearly crashed your car on seeing that

Man what some people will do on the road while behind the wheel is beyond all comprehension
Old 25th March 2013, 12:41   #5226
BHPian

I saw a 'L' board on a Santro near my house riding with hazard lights on and on the right most lane. While overtaking him from the left (he was lane hogging) I was shocked. The 'learner' was a small child sitting on his father's lap. They obviously were not belted and the kid had both his hands on the steering wheel.

Late Jan Samarth.bhatia and I were somewhere after Chandigarh on NH 1 and nearing Karnal when a xing overtook us from the left. The car was easily doing 110-120. There were 2 toddlers, one of them standing and the other on the mother's lap and both were obviously not belted.

What are parents upto?
Old 25th March 2013, 12:44   #5227
BHPian

Today at the signal near Manipal hospital and Leela Palace - There were 2 lines of vehicle waiting for signal to turn to go for the U-turn. Out of nowhere this XUV guy with LTD sticker (4682 if I am not mistaken) comes from extreme left cut across 2 vehicles waiting to turn and completes a U-turn towards right. Sir, If you happen to read this post - you might have saved a few minutes by jumping the queue , but it cost someone else who might have missed the signal only coz of the few seconds all the vehicles in the queue had to stop coz of your uncivic act. For you it might be convenience , when another person follows you it becomes a mistake , when a third person follows it becomes a practice and there after its chaos. And then we all curse the bad traffic. Please be more civic - if you don't jump queues elsewhere , why would you do it just coz you are in a vehicle. And if you jump queues everywhere , then -God bless
JoeMichael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 16:02   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
The third one I disagree with. DTC buses are actually one of the most predictable and consistent vehicles on road. Lots of private vehicles, autos and call centre cabs come ahead.

Also regarding the first point, I don't see pizza delivery bikes to be any worse than other bikes on road. Yes they are in a hurry. But much worse are college guys set to show off, esp. with girlfriend riding pillion. Or uncles on scooters hogging an entire lane.
As regards DTC buses, these are the few points I would like to make:
  • They usually stop iin the middle of the road. Other drivers who do not know about the location of a bus stop run the risk of rear ending the bus and/or getting rear ended themselves.
  • Because of the point made above, drivers passing by their left run the risk of hitting passengers alighting from them.
  • They drive like crazy when they are running too late with another bus on the same route following them closely. Have seen this often on Najafgarh road, Ring Road.
  • On stretches like Pankha Road, Najafgarh Road, Ring Road etc. where there is lot of bus traffic they completely occupy the left lane, making life hell for the motorist who wants to use the left lane for making a left turn. I find it very dangerous/scary to cut in front of a DTC bus.
  • They almost never use turn indicators: one moment you think the bus will go straight, next moment you realize it is making a large left turn.
  • Their sheer size makes them dangerous on several narrow road stretches.
Old 25th March 2013, 17:30   #5229
Senior - BHPian

I had a near miss with a bad motorcycle rider on Friday.

I was riding my scooter to work. In front of me, and a little to the left, was a motorcycle being ridden by one man. His helmet was attached to the grab handle by means of a cable-lock. We are both doing around 45 kmph.

His bike goes over a small bump, cable-lock snaps, helmet falls on the road and rolls in front of me. I had a heart-in-the-mouth moment, but managed to swerve around it.

I didn't stop because I was getting late for work (which is why I had chosen to use the scooter). I so wanted to stop and tell him that the safest way to carry a helmet is to ... wear it!

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 25th March 2013 at 17:31. Reason: grammar
Old 25th March 2013, 17:55   #5230
BHPian

Last weekend i was driving towards Koromangala from ORR. What i saw was an Octavia with a Video player playing some movie and too was placed on front dashboard. I wasn't very awry considering that might be on to keep passengers busy.
To my surprise, when I overtake, I see the driver himself watching the movie and driving.
For heaven's sake, what are these guys up to. They don't even realise how many lives they are putting at stake. I hope he gets some sense sooner (this way or that way) before some innocent faces the brunt.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 23:19   #5231
Senior - BHPian

I do face alot of bad driver's everyday, but kinda got used to them and now with my new playlist on, I don't bother too much about them.

Well, a week back on my to rohini, on the outer ring road. I was in the right most lane doing around 50kmph, there's a brand new verna ahead of me, doing more of less same speed. Now all of a sudden, this guy wants to spit the pan in his mouth, So he brakes in the right most lane, from 50 to 10 kmph, opens the door, Spits closes the door and then continues his journey. Moron, he is.

Same day on my back, on the same road and what a coincidence, same spot, though the road was other way around. 2 guys on their bike, going around 40kmph in right most lane of ring road, suddenly spots a guy on the divider in between, and he wants to talk to that guy too. So, what he does, he stops his bike in rightmost lane, one guy on bike, other on road, chatting away merrily in the right lane at rush hour traffic.

So, on seeing this, i got very furious. And i drove past him so closely, that my right side ORVM hits his right hand ( the guy who was standing ), after that i didn't even bothered to look back.

Well, i have many more examples, but for now this should be enough.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:52   #5232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
So, on seeing this, i got very furious. And i drove past him so closely, that my right side ORVM hits his right hand ( the guy who was standing ), after that i didn't even bothered to look back.

Well, i have many more examples, but for now this should be enough.
I would advise you not to let any part of your car touch the bikers. Who knows, they might make a ruckus, showing false wounds.

When I come across bikers riding in parallel in the right lane of a 4 lane road and chatting among themselves, I turn on both front and rear washers and wipers and give them some shower.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 12:45   #5233
Distinguished - BHPian

Once, even my wife got so fed up with the antics of a biker, pushing his way through traffic, she suggested giving him a small knock! I pointed out that small knocks to a biker could easily amount to murder, so no, not possible.

That was the one time I have ever known my wife even think such a thing, so you can guess that the guy's behaviour was really bad.

Unless one is prepared to stop and use fists (not an option for me: I have no muscle) or at least vocalise one's disgust (sometimes I think it is a good thing that I have been such a bad Tamil student) it is better to leave well alone. A knock from a wing mirror could break a bone, and, if you drive close to someone, who knows that they might not step in front of you at the wrong moment: obviously, if chatting in the middle of the road, safety is the last thing on their minds!

Actually, I find that, more and more, rather than screaming at these guys, I just want to sat, "Brother, it means nothing to me, but for the sake of your family, I want you to live!" They would just wonder what they did wrong, because if they knew how much danger they put themselves in, minute by minute, they wouldn't so it.

I read recently of someone in America using the screen wash to discourage tailgaters. I think that even that could possible be a dangerous distraction to a biker. Anyway, my screen washers are adjusted so that they never spray over the roof: I do not waste my expensive Wurth washer additive!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 26th March 2013 at 12:48.
Old 26th March 2013, 12:54   #5234
BHPian

I love the drivers who on highways think they are doing a favour to the society and obliging to the other road users by moving to the left most lane and slowing down their vehicles while talking away to glory on their phones. However what they fail to understand is that driving at a snail's pace on the NH (be it on the left most lane) is as suicidal as stopping right in middle
Old 26th March 2013, 14:36   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I read recently of someone in America using the screen wash to discourage tailgaters. I think that even that could possible be a dangerous distraction to a biker. Anyway, my screen washers are adjusted so that they never spray over the roof: I do not waste my expensive Wurth washer additive!
Lol.. how about two sprays of engine oil jets on the road behind your car? Shud set all bikers right for life ....just joking before someone pounces on me.

Most Viewed