Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 23:46   #5236
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
I would advise you not to let any part of your car touch the bikers. Who knows, they might make a ruckus, showing false wounds.

When I come across bikers riding in parallel in the right lane of a 4 lane road and chatting among themselves, I turn on both front and rear washers and wipers and give them some shower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Once, even my wife got so fed up with the antics of a biker, pushing his way through traffic, she suggested giving him a small knock! I pointed out that small knocks to a biker could easily amount to murder, so no, not possible.

That was the one time I have ever known my wife even think such a thing, so you can guess that the guy's behaviour was really bad.

Unless one is prepared to stop and use fists (not an option for me: I have no muscle) or at least vocalise one's disgust (sometimes I think it is a good thing that I have been such a bad Tamil student) it is better to leave well alone. A knock from a wing mirror could break a bone, and, if you drive close to someone, who knows that they might not step in front of you at the wrong moment: obviously, if chatting in the middle of the road, safety is the last thing on their minds!

Actually, I find that, more and more, rather than screaming at these guys, I just want to sat, "Brother, it means nothing to me, but for the sake of your family, I want you to live!" They would just wonder what they did wrong, because if they knew how much danger they put themselves in, minute by minute, they wouldn't so it.

I read recently of someone in America using the screen wash to discourage tailgaters. I think that even that could possible be a dangerous distraction to a biker. Anyway, my screen washers are adjusted so that they never spray over the roof: I do not waste my expensive Wurth washer additive!
Well, I agree with both the posts above. But sometime, aggression levels gets too high, that you end up taking wrong decision. Same happened, with me that day.

@rohanjf- well even i use the same technique most of time, but that day, some one took off my driver side wiper, when car was parked at my dad's office

Last edited by sameerg001 : 26th March 2013 at 23:48.
Old 27th March 2013, 00:10   #5237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
So, on seeing this, i got very furious. And i drove past him so closely, that my right side ORVM hits his right hand ( the guy who was standing ), after that i didn't even bothered to look back.
Dude I know how frustrating it gets driving on the roads these days specially when you come across such morons. But NEVER again try to act smart on DELHI roads. Don't you believe in self preservation or what? You know the amount of road aggression present in delhi thanks to a lot of factors ( which are not important to this thread). You never know when the person at fault decides to vent out his frustration on you. And you are not exactly high on muscle..
Jokes apart please never try such tricks. You can injure the other person. There was a case my friend ( lawyer) was fighting where her client in an arguement pushed another person. That guy fell down, hit his head on the road and died there and then. And her client had to go through hell trust me.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 18:18   #5238
BHPian

How about drivers who drive a manual but think they are driving automatics. They have no idea of how the engine rpms can be brought to the power band except,of course, lugging the engine?
They are a major irritant on flyovers, they start the climb at almost a crawl and by the middle of the flyover( by flooring the gas continously) they almost fly off like a rocket! Still some don't even bother to press the gas but rather cross each flyover at a crawl, forcing the ones following them to do the same or attempt a possibly risky overtake maneouver.

Edit: forgot to add another category of bad drivers: i would call them "impatient turn spoilers". They like to come right behind (or in front of, in case of bikers) your car while you are taking a three-point turn and cause a deadlock. They love to create a situation in which both his and your vehicles are at the highest risk of damage due to even a small error of judgement and are all over you if something of the sort happens.

Last edited by powerwidFE : 29th March 2013 at 18:33. Reason: Forgot to add another category of bad drivers
powerwidFE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 12:04   #5239
BHPian

Couple of days back, came across a guy in a merc with sun roof open. A small girl was standing up. She wasnt holding on to anything , rocking back and forth and was a delicate balancing act.

This happened in the Koramangala inner ring road, going towards madiwala.

I slowed down and kept a 2 car distance from that guy and was fearing for her dear life .

Its fun to have your kid getting fresh air on her face on top of your expensive car, but one wrong move and you would regret having let her have that fresh air all your life.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2013, 13:49   #5240
Senior - BHPian

A few drivers mainly newbies (I can tell from the way they clutch the wheel, eyes big and head forward as if they want to be ahead of the bonnet to see where they are going) driving on the highway, right in middle of two lanes. Not giving way either on left or right, because they are afraid of someone overtaking them. This stupid behavior ensures that the overtaking vehicle is driven rashly, cutting them off and increasing their own blood pressure and chances of accidents. I wonder from what driving school such morons take their training.
Old 30th March 2013, 14:38   #5241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Couple of days back, came across a guy in a merc with sun roof open. A small girl was standing up. She wasnt holding on to anything , rocking back and forth and was a delicate balancing act.

Its fun to have your kid getting fresh air on her face on top of your expensive car, but one wrong move and you would regret having let her have that fresh air all your life.
Fun? It's madness in any car, whatever the price, sunroof or no sunroof.

You were right to keep a distance, but I advise a bigger one. Same when following buses with footboarders or people hanging on to vans and lorries: they are in just as much danger as the child, maybe more so.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:16   #5242
BHPian

A breed of bad drivers on the highway includes those impatient ones.

I am overtaking a lorry driving in the middle lane from the right lane and that is when I see a car in my RVM honking and flashing to overtake me. I cannot give way immediately as I myslef am in between an overtaking maneuver. After getting ahead of the lorry, I switch my left indicator to give way to the car, but a glance in my RVM reveals that he has already moved halfway to the middle lane to overtake me. Going ahead, he gives me a look we all know.

I thought it would be my mistake and should indicate I am giving him the way halfway during the overtaking. So, the next time such a situation arises, I start the blinker even before I complete the overtaking. After the overtaking, as I move in the middle lane, this guy, goes to the leftmost lane and then overtakes me! So much for overtaking from left!

I would request the crowd to be a bit patient and wait for the vehicle ahead to give way. If one doesn't then, we have no other option to move ahead from the left, after enough indication ofcourse.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:33   #5243
BHPian

Getting minor heart attacks with the Mumbai autos. They stop an inch behind the vehicle in front. This would usually invite a death glare in Delhi but seems like the norm here. Also noticed the autos gladly break signals and move ahead. A positive though no matter how badly stuck in traffic noone veers off to the oncoming lane to overtake.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:37   #5244
BHPian

Another breed of bad drivers - At Pune, On the NH4 stretch from Chandni Chowk to Wakad bridge, with all the construction boom happening around, I come across these dumpers who drive as they please, are all covered with mud and stones, forget about any number plate - you can barely make out some letters caked with mud. Honking is of no use and they have "I care a damn" attitude. The most dangerous part is that big stones are wedged between the double rear tyres and can fly out at any moment when they pick up speed. The only best thing that I do is to overtake and then brake forcing them to a halt and then point them to drive from the left side of the road. What else can be done and that too when there are many folks on bikes and of course without helmets.
Old 31st March 2013, 21:59   #5245
BHPian

Bangalore's BMWs are well driven amongst the rest of the country. But the other day on MG road I saw one of the worst driven X1. It was a red one.

That guy was breaking all rules. Swerving left and right , not letting others to overtake, scaring off bikers plus talking on the phone while doing all these stunts. All this drama from Chinnaswamy stadium, just to get to Garuda mall to pickup someone.

Have never seeing Beemers being driven badly. Even the commercial ones such as the leela hotel ones are driven exceptionally well afaik.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:40   #5246
Senior - BHPian

This was an incident that "almost" made it to the Accidents in India thread.

Yesterday evening am driving our M800 to Kollam on the 2-lane median-less road that is called a highway in Kerala (wonder what they will then call the highways in TN and other states) and am somewhere near Karunagapally, when far ahead I see a biker on my side of the road getting onto the highway and crossing over to the other side to drive past me. Given the road and the car, I am doing 60kmph and he correctly judges that he can cross over because it will be sometime before I reach him. What he forgets is to look at vehicles coming from the other direction. A Bolero coming from the opposite direction (at high speed - easily 70+ kmph or more) is taken by surprise when this biker suddenly gets in his way.

Even if the driver stood on the brakes, the Bolero would not have been able to avoid hitting the biker. So, he goes for Plan-B which is going offroad - he drives off the tarmac onto the dusty side-road which is atleast 6-7 inches below road-level, raising a dust-storm. Luckily there is no one (person/vehicle) on the dusty road adjoining the highway, which is a surprise given the population-density in Kerala. It was "hair-raising" to see a Bolero jump off the road at that high a speed and roll along for some time. And all this time, the biker is not even aware that he came close to being dead. Infact if the Bolero had hit him, he would have landed in front of my car - so a lucky escape for me too, since I had a train to catch in the next hour from Kollam.

In my RVM I see the Bolero coming slowly to a stop and the driver waiting for the biker to come along. Am sure the biker would have heard the choicest Malayalam abuse from the jeep driver. But again that is not as bad as dying or ending up as a maimed person.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 1st April 2013 at 17:43.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 18:11   #5247
BHPian

One sees it all on Bangalore roads.
Today morning enroute work, I had decided to be slow ,cautious, cool, calm , collected and what not, cos today is the 1st day of the financial year.

One lady driving a Black verna had other ideas.In residency road , She cuts across me through the left first, gets blocked by a BMTC. Slows down let me pass her, and overtakes this time through the right. She gets caught in slow traffic , sways back all the way to the right.By the time we reach Residency-St Joseph signal, she is at extreme right. She then does the best move yet. Cuts across some 4-5 lanes of cars and takes a left, undettered.

I look in the car, she is talking on the phone ( earphones) and eating a sandwich while doing all this.

I bow to her driving skills
mannubhai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:32   #5248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
One sees it all on Bangalore roads.
Today morning enroute work, I had decided to be slow ,cautious, cool, calm , collected and what not, cos today is the 1st day of the financial year.

One lady driving a Black verna had other ideas.In residency road , She cuts across me through the left first, gets blocked by a BMTC. Slows down let me pass her, and overtakes this time through the right. She gets caught in slow traffic , sways back all the way to the right.By the time we reach Residency-St Joseph signal, she is at extreme right. She then does the best move yet. Cuts across some 4-5 lanes of cars and takes a left, undettered.

I look in the car, she is talking on the phone ( earphones) and eating a sandwich while doing all this.

I bow to her driving skills
Lol the description had me laughing, but I am sure it would not be a joke to people who are on the road.

On the same length and a bit funny. This happened yesterday evening at around 8.30 pm, I took the service road from outer ring road going towards old airport road. Right after taking the turn I see a Getz completely halted in the middle of the road. I flashed the headlights to see if it will move but the dual blinkers come on. I thought something is wrong with the car and turn towards the left to see if I can move forward from the side, my car front portion is almost near the rear door of the Getz when the front passenger side door opens and a lady gets out clutching her bag, saying goodbyes to the lady on the drivers seat of the car. The passenger simply shuts the door (blinkers are off) and the Getz is on its way merrily oblivious to the confusion it caused by dropping off its passenger in the middle of the road.

I just found it so funny that it had me in splits for few moments. I thought this incident certainly will be one of the nominations for the Best Bad Drivers in Bangalore award
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 22:42   #5249
BHPian

Really funny incident happened today although at my expense. This lady was driving her Santro Xing right behind me on a descent in bumper to bumper traffic. Suddenly I felt a jerk. She managed to rear-end me. I got out of the car to check the damage. Saw it was a lady with a little child inside the car and decided I would not get into any arguments unless the damage is significant. She just stares at me and honestly speaking she looked scared. The Xing was still in contact with my car so I asked her to reverse to inspect the damage. There wasn't any significant damage except the nuts coming loose.

I asked her how she managed to rear-end and her reply had me shocked. She said my car went backwards. The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would have had just a little doubt if this was an incline, but this road was going downhill. I decided not to say anything stepped back in and drove away.

Really surprised that despite my patience and taking it in the right spirit, the lady decided to blame me for her mistake although her version defies the law of gravity. Maybe she needs to go back to school.

One lesson that comes out of this situation is that people have given up on acknowledging their mistakes. I wasn't as bothered about my Beat as I was about her attitude. I wish she learns the hard way.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 22:53   #5250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Really funny incident happened today although at my expense.
She was lucky that you weren't a cabbie. Moreover, you were lucky that she didn't create a scene. Miscreants always keep an eye to engage in a drama and start robbing you.

I whole heartedly wish that she bangs right into a wall and says that the wall moved. LOL :-D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks