Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 22:01   #5281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually many of us (including me) never ever give our car for valet parking
Not sure if it is a characteristic all over Kerala, but near my place, I see that people on both sides of a closed railway gate are allergic to stay on their side of the road. Instead they crowd all over the road and by the time the gate opens, everyone is blocked & no one is going anywhere. Literacy obviously does not translate into common-sense.
I am also not a fan of valets and park on my own because many valets learn the nuances of driving at others' expense.

Another example of bad driving is generally at bumps. When the car in front slows down the idiots immediately turn to the right as if to overtake and ultimately achieves nothing except blocking the traffic from the opposite side.
Old 20th April 2013, 00:17   #5282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
we were at loggerheads, so i decide to take a picture of him and put it on Public Eye on BTP site.

complaint #3092. hopefully something would be done about it!
The same cab has already 1 violation pending against him (unpaid). See below:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-taxi_violation.png

It's high time now Bangalore Traffic police starts following up with unpaid dues and not just issue online tickets. The one which i posted above is pending since Nov 2012.
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 20:19   #5283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Another example of bad driving is generally at bumps. When the car in front slows down the idiots immediately turn to the right as if to overtake and ultimately achieves nothing except blocking the traffic from the opposite side.
This is a common sight that we see on roads in the city as the bikers mostly are the impatient characters where they can't wait till the car crosses the speed breaker.

Worst are the buses who do this act of stupidity and nothing can be done till the police enters the situation. Not that any action is taken them for such a jam but if the same mistake is done then a challan rolls out immediately.

Anurag.
Old 21st April 2013, 21:01   #5284
Distinguished - BHPian

Speed humps can be good places to overtake, especially if it is to get past a slow vehicle that is almost certainly not going to accelerate hard from the bump anyway. Accelerating as the back wheel comes down the bump makes use of that extra little shove. But I do agree that this should not be done in the face of oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road.
Old 21st April 2013, 21:23   #5285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Speed humps can be good places to overtake, especially if it is to get past a slow vehicle that is almost certainly not going to accelerate hard from the bump anyway. Accelerating as the back wheel comes down the bump makes use of that extra little shove. But I do agree that this should not be done in the face of oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road.
Agree with you but the overtaking move must be done after seeing for safety of the oncoming traffic but the general public just want to go ahaead let what come opposite side.

I do this many times but only after seeing the oncoming traffic and I love when the Turbo kicks in.

The rear suspension may get damaged if done regularly, right?! If the same is done on a two wheeler then it is a wheelie.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 22:27   #5286
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binzone View Post
Come on, don't tell me you didn't know about this method of "energy transfer".

The alto was honestly trying to help you assuming you were stranded. Flashing and honking incessantly transfers power from the other car to yours, and makes it move.

Good natured bikers and auto-wallahs try to help you gain extra acceleration during signal stops in this manner. SUVs are the best. They do this when you have no space on the side to let them go ahead. The more jammed you are, the more incessant this becomes. They strongly believe that enough energy will be transferred to your car making it fly vertically to let them pass. Such kind souls!
I usually thank them for the energy by showing the 'overtake' hand signal, especially when they boost me with their honking in dead stop traffic jams / red signals.
ImprezaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:51   #5287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprezaFan View Post
I usually thank them for the energy by showing the 'overtake' hand signal, especially when they boost me with their honking in dead stop traffic jams / red signals.
Oh yeah, talking about energy, yesterday on a lazy drive back from a dinner one Civic started tailgating like crazy, in fact from my internal rear view I almost could not see the cars wipers, so I thought it prudent to give side despite us driving in a narrow residential road, the guy overtakes and zooms ahead only for us to meet again in the next traffic signal . Like they say traffic will equal all!
Old 22nd April 2013, 14:10   #5288
Distinguished - BHPian

It is so hard not to retaliate in those circumstances. I try to cut the pride and remind myself that it is so much safer to have someone like that in front, rather than behind, me: let them go ahead and have an accident with someone else!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 16:08   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Today's edition of the Malayalam daily, Malayala Manorama carried a news item about a young Malayalam cine star getting held up by the Police for following a Minister's car with the headlights on. It was reported that the actor was once warned and asked to switch off the headlamps but as he repeated the offense he was taken to the Police Station from where he was let off afterwards.
The anti climax was when the actor informed that it was only the DRL which was on and not the headlamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-fil-str.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th May 2013 at 16:19.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:59   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The anti climax was when the actor informed that it was only the DRL which was on and not the headlamp.
Saw this in today's newspaper. It was reported that the actor later explained and convinced the policemen that they were DRLs and he cannot switch it off. After that, he was allowed to go. Funny thing is that the place where it happened, Malappuram, is one of the places in Kerala where you have umpteen number of BMW's, Merc's etc. I find it difficult to understand that why the police never noticed the DRLs on any other car, till now. Maybe they sprung into action because the car was chasing a minister's car
Old 7th May 2013, 17:29   #5291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Saw this in today's newspaper. It was reported that the actor later explained and convinced the policemen that they were DRLs and he cannot switch it off. After that, he was allowed to go. Funny thing is that the place where it happened, Malappuram, is one of the places in Kerala where you have umpteen number of BMW's, Merc's etc. I find it difficult to understand that why the police never noticed the DRLs on any other car, till now. Maybe they sprung into action because the car was chasing a minister's car
By any case, is it illegal to drive with headlamps on in broad daylight?
Is it not only a case where someone has been caught just to show that how proactive the police is for the minister?
Old 7th May 2013, 18:20   #5292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
The same cab has already 1 violation pending against him (unpaid). See below:

Attachment 1075525

It's high time now Bangalore Traffic police starts following up with unpaid dues and not just issue online tickets. The one which i posted above is pending since Nov 2012.
here's an update - the complaint has been booked!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-btp_complaint_3092.png

now we just wait around for this guy to get old and get exempted from paying the fine!

Publc Eye my bum!
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2013, 21:24   #5293
BHPian

This happened around 2 weeks back. Forgot to post it here.

I was driving on the Bandra Worli sea link going from Worli towards Bandra.
Was doing around 80 kmph in my Spark when I see a couple of white Scorpios in my left ORVM blinking their lights. They were in the left lane and since that lane was completely empty I carried on in my lane.

Then suddenly this Scorpio comes and cuts me off, comes in my lane for a few secs and then goes back to his. After this the other Scorpio comes and does the same thing. Both cars had those beacon lights and Govt of India/Maharashtra written in red.

After these Scorpios go there are a couple of Honda City ZX', Tata Indigos and maybe a Swift dzire speeding at approx 130-140 and driven very rashly and zig-zagging in different lanes. The Honda city zx almost rear-ended me. The sea link was relatively empty at that time.
Apparently all these cars were white in colour, had the Govt of India stickers and the red beacons were flashing. These cars were mostly filled with cops/bodyguards.

So what if you are a minister? That doesn't mean you drive or let your drivers drive dangerously on public roads and endanger others' safety! What if that car would have actually rear ended me?? I wouldn't have got any compensation, heck I might even be charged for rash negligent driving.

Also, the cops had started fining people for driving fast on the sea-link few weeks back. I think first they should follow the rules themselves and then teach others.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 7th May 2013 at 21:26.
Old 7th May 2013, 21:37   #5294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
So what if you are a minister? That doesn't mean you drive or let your drivers drive dangerously on public roads and endanger others' safety! What if that car would have actually rear ended me?? I wouldn't have got any compensation, heck I might even be charged for rash negligent driving.

Also, the cops had started fining people for driving fast on the sea-link few weeks back. I think first they should follow the rules themselves and then teach others.
Sorry to say, but that's the current state of affairs in the country. :(
How many of times have you seen a policeman wearing a helmet and following norms. In south bombay, they do follow, but go towards north bombay and you see all that disappear. In-fact, I have hardly seen a police vehicle waiting for a signal to open up in the first row. Point is, they won't wait for the signal if they are first in the line.

I also was once stuck in beteween an Audi and the following gypsy and had to bear their expletives.

The best you could have done was to get to the extreme opposite side and slow down for them to pass by. It is not worth messing up with these morons and we have many examples of it here on the forum itself.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:07   #5295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
here's an update - the complaint has been booked!
now we just wait around for this guy to get old and get exempted from paying the fine!
Publc Eye my bum!
A 100 bucks is like his "Chai Paani" for a day. He would give a damn about the fine. 100% agree with your last statement.

Most Viewed