Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2013, 07:55   #5311
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
But why BMW is retaining the DRL with an always ON function in India is not quite clear. It is OK in Scandinavian countries and from 2011 in Europe too, where DRLs are mandatory.
As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.
Mandatory or not, it’s still a safety feature. Running with DRLs is not a bad thing, but tailing a convoy is indeed a case of bad driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
Another interesting aspect is that the cine actor was not charged for overspeeding. Why? Simple, in which case the Ministers car also need to be booked for the same offense.
True
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 17:47   #5312
Senior - BHPian

Lost my cool yesterday over an idiot driving a sumo cab.

I usually drive down to Uttarahalli to check on my upcoming flat on the weekend and so it was yesterday.

On the way back home, I was on JC road and a Sumo filled with people - gents, ladies and kids driven by a cab driver attempted overtaking me from the left.

I was on the right lane but not completely since the entire right lane was filled with slush and muck from the previous days rain shower.

I'm not perturbed being overtaken from the left but this moron cabbie not only tried doing so but was forcing me off the road into the slushy path. He was so close to my car (my wife and son were in the car) that i had to brake hard and let him get past.

I lost my cool and my nerve and turned into the road that goes towards Lalbagh road after the JC road signal. There i got alongside him and gestured to him if he was blind and the moron said yes and proceeded to drive on.

I also noticed a black scorpio with a sticker in front of me (part of the scene but not involved).

Finally the sumo and I stopped at the same signal and i got off the car and gave the driver a loud sound thrashing (not physical just verbal) much to the curiosity of the bhp'ian in the scorpio and the other people on the road.

The idiot driver claimed he did not overtake me from the left and that if he hit me his car also would get damaged. This irritated me further and i was yelling at the top of my lungs, that i dont care if his cab burnt to a crisp but he should learn to drive properly. Finally after venting for a min or so, i got back to my car.

The whole road was empty and this guy had to push another car off the road. What is it with these auto's and cabbies? I sometimes wish i was driving a monster truck so i could crush these imbeciles to pulp.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th May 2013 at 17:48.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 18:19   #5313
Team-BHP Support

HYDERABAD

Driving back from office spotted a very rashly driven White Punto with a small L sticker under the rear screen on the rhs.

Inside were two boys drinking beer from a can.

I tried hard to spot a cop and get them to stop. But there were none.

These boys were driving from the Quality Inn road down the ISB road and then entered the ORR towards APPA.

I stopped behind them and checked with the toll gate operator if they can communicate with someone to stop these guys. Alas no such feature is available.

I just hope they did not kill anyone.

If you know anyone matching this description, please inform their parents.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 18:24   #5314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I stopped behind them and checked with the toll gate operator if they can communicate with someone to stop these guys. Alas no such feature is available.
BB, did you try calling 100 or the traffic helpline and reporting the offense?

These incidents should not go unpunished, IMO.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:14   #5315
BHPian

Last few days were pretty interesting.

About two weeks back, was waiting at the signal near Jewels de Paragon, to proceed straight towards St.Mark's road. I was on the middle lane. Once it was green,and I passed the signal, to my horror a BMTC bus cut across from the left lane, almost kissing my fender to enter Kasturba road. Since there was a nano towards my right ,the bus guy had to brake hard and a few "pleasantries" were exchanged with the nano driver.

Finally when the bus moved, the signal had changed to red and traffic from M.G Road had already started. I could either proceed risking an accident / reverse. I chose the latter. By then, there were other vehicles at the signal and I had to stop on the Zebra Line. A traffic constable , who silently watched the entire drama by the BMTC guy, dutifully clicks a pic of my number plate and I was poorer by Rs.100/-. No logic would convince him.

Attaching a couple of (not so good) illustrations to describe better
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-pic-1.png  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-pic2.png  

JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:19   #5316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Lost my cool yesterday
I always spot these cab drivers trying to bob in and out of the lane behind me attempting to overtake from any direction. I give them sufficient space to my right they still try to squeeze in through a side they set their mind to. I used to try yell some sense into these numb heads but I realized I was wasting my energy because they would do just that in less than 100 meters into driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
HYDERABAD

Driving back from office spotted a very rashly driven White Punto
Just a week ago, I spotted a grey Baleno car on the Nehru ORR after APPA junction with alcohol bottles kept on its boot lid and men standing closer to the mid lane laughing away in their drunken trance. I informed the police patrolling vehicle on spotting one near the airport flyover. They were not too keen in following up and reacted as though I was asking them for a huge favor.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:38   #5317
BHPian

Continuing from the previous post - A few days after the above incident ,had to travel to Kerala and while there were the usual "kings of the road" - couple of incidents stood out.

1. About 4 am , took the elevated toll road , as there was some congestion on the hosur road due to an accident. Traffic was scarce and I spot a Zen ahead , unusually slow. The car was virtually drifting between lanes. I thought it could be a new driver practicing or getting a lesson . I honked a couple of times and flashed the lights - no reaction and I didn't know which side to overtake through. Finally took a chance and passed through the left , while passing glanced into the car , only to find a couple fooling around , the guy in an extremely compromising position- no thanks to Avishek Goenka

2. Was nearing home , and took a short cut to avoid city traffic. This road is narrow , with plenty of greenery and can accomodate two cars at best. There was a light shower . I was trailing a Splendor. All of sudden, the splendor guy starts doing slow zig zags- drawing "S" on the road. I honked long and passed him . The mystery was solved when I saw a mobile phone squeezed into his helmet and a distant smile on his face through the RVM. Could have been chatting with his "special one" and the weather made him do some filmy stunts.

Last edited by JoeMichael : 14th May 2013 at 14:48.
JoeMichael is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:50   #5318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
1. About 4 am , took the elevated toll road , as there was some congestion on the hosur road due to an accident. Traffic was scarce and I spot a Zen ahead , unusually slow. The car was virtually drifting between lanes. I thought it could be a new driver practicing or getting a lesson . I honked a couple of times and flashed the lights - no reaction and I didn't know which side to overtake through. Finally took a chance and passed through the left , while passing glanced into the car , only to find a couple fooling around , the guy in an extremely compromising position- no thanks to Avishek Goenka
Not something that we see everyday. The guy might have thought that he still had the films. If we get to see this often, the SC might take back this new rule and make sun films mandatory.
Old 14th May 2013, 16:34   #5319
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Not something that we see everyday. The guy might have thought that he still had the films. If we get to see this often, the SC might take back this new rule and make sun films mandatory.

Never know SC might think moving cars are the problem and lets ban tires or engine. Only Very Idiotic People are eligible for having them
Old 14th May 2013, 17:01   #5320
BHPian

Quote:

This reminds me -- a few months back (before the sun film ban) we were travelling on the choked MG road (Gurgaon-Delhi, for the people who don't know). A lot of PDLA was going on in the vehicle in front of us. The driver and the co-passenger thought they were secure with the film, not realizing that the rear window was not tinted and there was enough illumination on the road to illuminate the inside..
Old 15th May 2013, 21:44   #5321
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad drivers can be found everywhere but how do we spot good drivers! I think we need a thread for that.

The below video on YouTube is from Russia which is also infamous for its driving similar to our country
Infact roadrage is so high that people there have dash cams just in case they need evidence in any incident
But that has produced this wonderful compilation.

I didn't find a better thread to post this
Mods please move it if you feel this is off topic
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 02:19   #5322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Bad drivers can be found everywhere but how do we spot good drivers! I think we need a thread for that.

I didn't find a better thread to post this
Mods please move it if you feel this is off topic
I hope viewers will learn a thing or two after viewing this clip, if not practiced.
Getting out of the car to help here will result in an argument with the driver behind if done here. But stopping to let people cross, especially the elderly and physically challenged is something everyone can follow.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 16th May 2013 at 02:21.
Old 16th May 2013, 08:54   #5323
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I go for a morning-walk to a locality which has got decently broad and empty roads especially in the morning. So that area is favourite among people learning to drive with 'L' on the windshield. Everyday I see at least 5 cars there with a newbie at the wheels and a so-called-expert in the passenger seat.. most likely a father for a teenager or a husband of a lady.

What I have observed for last one week is that NOT a single of these newbies were wearing seatbelt . It was as if driving without a seatbelt is a rule and driving with one is an exception. At the same time, I am not surprised by this behaviour as NONE on the passenger seat wore any seatbelts either!

Classic example of bad-drivers teaching others and thereby increasing the overall bad-driver population on our roads!

Last edited by SDP : 16th May 2013 at 08:55.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 13:01   #5324
BHPian

KL-55-A-5 BWM I think 3series, driver drunk and couple of drunken girls out from the sunroof and shouting all over the road. This was captured by the media folks and was telecasted on the TV9
Old 18th May 2013, 16:05   #5325
BHPian

Well Friends,

I was wonder-stuck by this guys sense of parking (white polo!) and couldn't help clicking a photo.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0542.jpg

This is a busy area, Medical College Campus, Trivandrum. The road towards the left goes to Regional Cancer Centre, to the right down goes to Medical College OP block and the one right up (where that Polo is parked!) goes to Sree Chithra hospital, SAT hospital and Medical College.
There is no way someone can take a U-turn here. And will the owner not think about his own car getting scratched, when someone try to squeeze through. It did have an L sticker on it, but that is no justification.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks