Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:51   #5386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

A case of a Bad and good driver. Two in one:

It was saturday evening at Vytilla junction at around 5pm. Peak traffic and everyone rushing to reach home before the next heavy rain. I have waiting at the lights and see a Merc E class behind me. Lights turn green and I took the NH-47 towards Aroor. The merc behind me wanted to rush ahead and he was changing lanes as if he playing NFS. He almost drifted when he suddenly changed the lanes (saw this in the rear view mirror). I was able to gain speed but the car came closer to my car at a blistering speed and all this by jumping lanes at triple digit speeds and lights flashing continuously (was very rashly driven). Suddenly, I saw few people on the median trying to cross the road and no one let them pass. Shockingly the merc slowed down and stopped right beside them and his hazard lights were on. He then waved them and asked them to cross the road. The people acknowledged him and then it was to business for the merc guy. A wheel spin and red lining later he flew past me easily touching atleast 120km/hr.

Good to know that there's a good heart deep inside him. But his driving style conveyed a different story.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:00   #5387
BHPian

Date - Saturday 1st June, near the D'Mart in Baner.

Was waiting to take a U'turn one break before the D'mart entrance. There is a lane joining this road perpendicularly. Saw two cars waiting to cross over, both driven by ladies. Waited and indicated for them to take the turn.

The first one, and i10 crossed perfectly. The one behind was a Ford Fiesta Classic version, driven by a lady. She hit the divider (about 15 inches height), the car climbed the divider and she was so fast that the front two wheels crossed the divider and touched the other side. The bottom scraped pretty bad and the rear wheels were in the air (one wheel). I thought she will wait, but she just gunned the accelarator and jumped the car off the divider, took a turn and zipped away!

I think she got nervous, as the gap in the divider is HUGE and I had stopped BEFORE the gap, and probably miscalculated.

I only wonder if there was a pedestrian waiting to cross there or a kid!

Please read my signature - accidents dont affect ONLY the person who has the accident, it affects everyone related to that person.
torquecurve is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:26   #5388
Senior - BHPian

Happened today with me at around 7'o clock, while returning from domestic airport. I was standing on a signal, in right most lane, as i have to take a right turn. There's a innova ( yellow plates ) on my left and a pulsar bike at the back of innova.

As the light turned green, I was just about to move and saw that, the innova guy opened his door to spit out the paan in his mouth and the pulsar, guy got hit by the door, while he was trying to get past my car by squeezing between my car and the innova.

Result- The pulsar guy gets a cut on his left hand, i get a dent on my front left door, with a scratch and couple of scratches on left orvm and front wings, Nothing happened to damn innova

I gave peace of my mind to innova guy, but all in all my morning got spoiled

To be honest, now seriously i have stopped giving a damn about exteriors of my cars, No matter how much i try to save my car from dents and scratches, I can't avoid them completely.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 14:12   #5389
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The height of bad driving or rather, parking. Dude parks his Manza in such a way that it blocks the Breach Candy road! This bus couldn't pass, leading to a train of 50 cars behind and - as usual - passers by lined up to offer their expert comments.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-manza.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-manza2.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-manza3.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 14:20   #5390
Distinguished - BHPian

That many observers could have just lifted the offending car out of the way. They'd have been justified in not putting it down very carefully too
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 15:12   #5391
Senior - BHPian

what do you do with nincompoops like this

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2635.jpg

i'm coming from the opposite direction and this fellow and a half is trying overtaking the i20 and the car in front of it whilst talking on the phone!!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 5th June 2013 at 15:14.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 16:13   #5392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The height of bad driving or rather, parking. Dude parks his Manza in such a way that it blocks the Breach Candy road! This bus couldn't pass, leading to a train of 50 cars behind and - as usual - passers by lined up to offer their expert comments.
Was the driver fined? why are the vehicle number plates not shown.
This should be reported.
Old 5th June 2013, 16:53   #5393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
A case of a Bad and good driver. Two in one:
=====================
Good to know that there's a good heart deep inside him. But his driving style conveyed a different story.
I believe he was just trying to do NFS with his cars but at the heart he was a considerate and well informed driver. The zig zag driving could be because he got frustrated of someone... Happens many a time to the most well mannered folks also. Though loosing patience should not be an option,
Old 6th June 2013, 19:00   #5394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
In Pune, bad drivers like these additionally keep on flashing the headlights at you! It is becoming a notorious habit off late, to enter head on into the oncoming traffic and keep on flashing the headlights. I always wonder how their bikes don't stall due in the gear while they slow down to a crawl !!
Old 7th June 2013, 17:31   #5395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

i'm coming from the opposite direction and this fellow and a half is trying overtaking the i20 and the car in front of it whilst talking on the phone!!
I have seen this so many times over here and this habit is catching up with a lot of learned folks. I know a couple of my colleagues who frequently put there cell phone in their 'hell-mate' and drive as if they are all alone on the road. I keep banging my head against a wall telling them, why cant you simply stop at the side, finish the conversation and continue your journey? What is the hurry? I have in situations where I get a call while driving my bike. I simply choose to ignore it. And more often than not you will run into a long red light or a jam, that's where you send a message that I will call you back!

Add to this I have seen the tempo travelers do this specially when they are driving in a one way not meant for them.
Old 9th June 2013, 12:42   #5396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I have seen this so many times over here and this habit is catching up with a lot of learned folks. I know a couple of my colleagues who frequently put there cell phone in their 'hell-mate' and drive as if they are all alone on the road.
Even I too get irritated while seeing someone talking on cell phone while driving/riding. I think the person on the other side also equally responsible for this bad habit. I have came across situations where, persons to whom I am making call is driving. I normally disconnect the call and 90% of the persons will call back once they have parked the vehicle.
Old 10th June 2013, 12:22   #5397
BHPian

Recently I have been through some bad experiences while driving.

About a week back I was driving on an empty road at around 60 km/h. I saw an intersection and kept my foot on the brake ready, like I always do.
I was going straight and there was an intersection towards the right side of the road which you can take to enter the ally on the left side. Suddenly a Xing appears at the intersection out of nowhere.
I flashed lights and honked since I am going in a straight line it is his duty to let me pass. Also, I was doing a stable speed and stopping for the Xing wasn't possible. The next moment was heart-wrenching, this guy doesn't stop and tries to cut across ignoring the fact that there will be impact.
He comes onto the road and I change lanes and go to the extreme left all this while honking madly expecting him to stop/divert/do anything. Had I braked he would have rammed into my doors, I was trying to escape the impact but he did succeeed in hitting my rear bumper. I was now almost at the footpath and came to a stop by using brakes in a franctic manner.
Before I could step out of the car and say much he makes a run for it.

There has to be some sort of cure for bikers and taxis. If I am in the middle lane on an empty road and see from a distance that a yellow plated innova will try to overtake from the left I shift my car towards the left to not let him overtake from the wrong side. Even when the right most lane is empty and there is no traffic why do taxi drivers over-take from the left?

Bikers.. there is another kind I am noticing these days. The one which comes installed with a rear-passenger-indicator. The pillon will signal right but the bike will go left.

Just yesterday, at 11.30 at night a biker tried over-taking my car at a traffic signal from the left collided with my ORVM mirror and fell in a pit. I did not bother if he was hurt or not. I am just glad he fell.
Old 10th June 2013, 22:25   #5398
BHPian

Hi everybody
An excerpt from the today's Times of India(page 12) "An Indian at the wheel"

Indians are by far the worst drivers in the world, the fault not so much with technique as temperament. The moment we hit the road, we go back a few hundred years in civilisation, brawling and bawling, spitting and swearing as we try to reach our destination – always late – through a haphazard maze of unruly vehicles zipping around in every conceivable trajectory.
It didn’t surprise anyone that Sebastian Vettel, who was here two years ago at the Buddh International Circuit for a race, looked around the city and wondered if people actually had a licence. And this bewilderment came from a man who drives dangerously for a living, crashing around for pole position.
Disregard – even disdain – for traffic rules isn’t the only problem. There is
Old 11th June 2013, 02:25   #5399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
An excerpt from the today's Times of India(page 12) "An Indian at the wheel"

Indians are by far the worst drivers in the world, the fault not so much with technique as temperament. The moment we hit the road, we go back a few hundred years in civilisation, brawling and bawling, spitting and swearing as we try to reach our destination – always late – through a haphazard maze of unruly vehicles zipping around in every conceivable trajectory.
It didn’t surprise anyone that Sebastian Vettel, who was here two years ago at the Buddh International Circuit for a race, looked around the city and wondered if people actually had a licence. And this bewilderment came from a man who drives dangerously for a living, crashing around for pole position.
Disregard – even disdain – for traffic rules isn’t the only problem. There is
This is the piece you are talking about, I suppose - http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes...n-at-the-wheel.

Surprisingly, the same Indians are much better behaved outside their country. Familiarity (to the surroundings and rules) breeding contempt?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 17:27   #5400
Senior - BHPian

driving on the wrong side is really getting out of hand in Bangalore. it's just a matter of time before their shortcut shortens someone else's life!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2843.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-_mg_2849.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks