Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2013, 12:53   #5506
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Morons nearly wiped out the effect of a very wonderful concert. Many of them had yellow plates.
And one of them had those really nice line-of-LED lights typical of expensive audis etc. It is real shame that, these days, owning a great car is no guarantee of great driving ...or of half-decent human beings with half a thought for others. And if this offends anyone, then, yes, I guess I do mean you! Get a driving lesson!
Old 22nd July 2013, 18:32   #5507
Senior - BHPian

In the heavy traffic jam today morning, this person was sandwiched between my car and the MSRTC bus in front. He wanted to go to the extreme left, but ended up on the extreme right. Multiple attempts at moving the car forward and backward failed, and also the Puneri traffic on the left did not allow him to squeeze in one bit. Patience is a virtue, but apparently not for people like this.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130722_105110.jpg
Old 27th July 2013, 13:07   #5508
BHPian

Watch this video 25 seconds onwards.

The gentleman in the Maruti decided that he wanted to eat at a roadside stall. He stops in the middle of the road and blocks one lane to satisfy his urge to eat. There is quite a number of vehicles honking behind him but he does not care and continues to eat. This is one typical example of a moron on the streets of Shillong.

SumitB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 18:59   #5509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
The gentleman in the Maruti decided that he wanted to eat at a roadside stall. He stops in the middle of the road and blocks one lane.
Morons like this one exists everywhere. In this case both the driver and the road side vendor are at fault.
Old 29th July 2013, 10:04   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Watch this video 25 seconds onwards.

The gentleman in the Maruti decided that he wanted to eat at a roadside stall. He stops in the middle of the road and blocks one lane to satisfy his urge to eat. This is one typical example of a moron on the streets of Shillong.
That too on Shillong roads, which are narrow anyways. Which locality is that , looks very familiar
Old 29th July 2013, 10:09   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMichael View Post
That too on Shillong roads, which are narrow anyways. Which locality is that , looks very familiar
This was the road which connects Nongrim Hills/MES to Lalchand Basti/Polo.

The Maruti was bang opposite the MES Officer's Mess.
SumitB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 13:06   #5512
Team-BHP Support

This Vento is driven by a BAD abusive driver.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130730-12.12.321.jpg

Today morning encountered this guy while driving from Tolichowki towards Gachibowli.
The road is 4 laned.
As I approach the Quality Inn Junction, I slow down as I need to go towards Gachibowli. I am in the second left lane. There is a slow moving Maruti with an L board on the left most lane.

This fellow is behind me, then he cut across to the left most lane and then veers into my front. Not happening. I don't bother with these kind of stupid drivers.

Then we cross the signal, he is continuing towards the flyover and gestures at me from his car.
He says "Emi", I say what!

He then gets a little loud and wants an argument. Well not in the mood for it.

He gets a little loud in Telugu and is angry that I don't know Telugu.
But let me clarify here. I am not angry that you don't know English.
Everyone can decide which language they should learn and express themselves in.

Last edited by bblost : 30th July 2013 at 13:08.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 17:11   #5513
BHPian

Hey BBlost, this guy is in "Vento" and probably misunderstood that he has to "vent" out his useless anger and meaningless frustration.
balajird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 18:16   #5514
BHPian

Hey guys. The idiots on the roads seemed to have tripled in numbers in the past one year or maybe that is how I see it. A while back a Hyundai Verna hit my Corolla on the NH 8 flyover from Dhaula Kuan to Gurgaon. I was driving in a straight line and this fool wanted to cut across from the left and overtake me. His car was new and hence the miscalculation on his part, he ends up hitting his car against mine. Instead of slowing down he races ahead and when I caught up he started abusing me. I didn't want to back down and my repeated calls for him to pull over were ignored. Anyway that was that.

Today a Toyota Corolla on the turn from Vasant Kunj to Promenade which is a sharp left from the main road comes speeding cuts two lanes into my lane just as I am about to take the turn. I honk with irritation and he stops his car. He moves and later on confronts me. We got out of the car and I took out the keys because I know how it works in Delhi. After a bit of confrontation I made him apologize for his abuses and left the scene.

Such recent experiences and everyday saving my vehicle from idiots who have no sense of their sorroundings and blame everything else but themselves have got me agitated to a point where I really think I need a break from driving. I wouldn't mind sweating it out, its much better than being frustrated with such idiots who have no respect for lanes, incoming traffic, calculating speeds. It's turning out to be a nightmare where every drive is irritating unless its early morning.

I drive 1500/2000 kms a month. I want to know if there's been anyone on the forum who's reached a point of exhaustion and taken a break from the roads ruled by idiots who give a hoot about traffic sense.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 31st July 2013 at 18:18.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:06   #5515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I drive 1500/2000 kms a month. I want to know if there's been anyone on the forum who's reached a point of exhaustion and taken a break from the roads ruled by idiots who give a hoot about traffic sense.
You have got company from me, who has almost taken Nirvana from driving.

I have two offices that I visit in Bangalore. One is ~25kms from my house. The other one is ~ 12kms.

- The days I visit the nearer office, I ride my bike now a days. Not that it is very safe, but I feel that atleast I am saving some energy by not negotiating my car with bikers. When I am one of them, minor dashes go unnoticed since they are even aware that they are at fault and nothing can be done to a fellow biker.
- The days I visit the far office, I take the company bus. 2hours of peaceful journey, where I listen to music, watch a movie or sleep.

Some days when I can't stop my urge to drive my car, I start early ie, 7:00 AM or earlier, but also make it is a point to leave for the day by 4pm.

And there are times, when I have refused my family to go out for dinner or shopping in a mall, just because I simply hate driving in evenings.

I had done 17407 kms till 4th April 2013, and as of today its 19224 only. You can well imagine how I have quit driving. And my 25k Service is coming up soon. lol
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 19:09   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Such recent experiences and everyday saving my vehicle from idiots who have no sense of their sorroundings and blame everything else but themselves have got me agitated to a point where I really think I need a break from driving. I wouldn't mind sweating it out, its much better than being frustrated with such idiots who have no respect for lanes, incoming traffic, calculating speeds. It's turning out to be a nightmare where every drive is irritating unless its early morning.
^The ONLY reason i avoid driving in Delhi. In fact after day to day stress from these idiots on the roads i left my car alone for 2 months! I can very well relate to your frustration.

Our car was Dent/Scratch free till we moved to the capital. Since then, we are fed up of doing repairs for no fault of ours.To what i have observed, People keep enough distances only if your drive a 20 Lakhs+ Car.

People really need to control their tempers. They start abusing and are always ready to fight for what? Because they bumped/brushed their vehicle into ours. And what makes me more frustrated is the class they belong too(No offence meant).Perfect to be called educated illiterates!

Last edited by sinharishi : 31st July 2013 at 19:10.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 19:23   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
You have got company from me, who has almost taken Nirvana from driving.

And there are times, when I have refused my family to go out for dinner or shopping in a mall, just because I simply hate driving in evenings.

I had done 17407 kms till 4th April 2013, and as of today its 19224 only. You can well imagine how I have quit driving. And my 25k Service is coming up soon. lol
Soumyajit thanks. I sometimes feel like a nursery teacher looking out for kids who might hurt themselves or me and it's highly frustrating. People want to overtake when it isn't possible or legal and they want you to back off. Unfortunately overtaking these days has more to do with ego and a 'me first' attitude. Roads suddenly feel like battle fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
^The ONLY reason i avoid driving in Delhi. In fact after day to day stress from these idiots on the roads i left my car alone for 2 months! I can very well relate to your frustration.

People really need to control their tempers. They start abusing and are always ready to fight for what? Because they bumped/brushed their vehicle into ours. And what makes me more frustrated is the class they belong too(No offence meant).Perfect to be called educated illiterates!
Thanks Rishi. I can totally relate to this. When noone manages to hit my car kids playing in the neighborhood hit it with a cricket ball. It's highly frustrating. As I said earlier it's not bad driving because of being unaware but a bullying technique caused by inflated egos. There is no place on Delhi roads for safe drivers. Either you're as pathetic as they are or you better be in a Beemer. People tend to avoid stunts near expensive vehicles. Today an idiot abused me and only upon pointing out to his choice of words did he apologize. I would consider him to be better than most because he had the decency to apologize.

Once on a road which goes downhill a lady hit my car from behind. When I politely questioned her she said my car rolled backwards. Her logic defied physics and gravity but it's just an example of how you can harmed doing nothing. I am truly sick of the roads and the attitude of the people who are insensitive and frankly beyond repair.

I am taking a 30 day sabbatical from driving. Only if there's an emergency would I take out my vehicle. I'd rather spend more on autos than feel frustrated & helpless.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 09:19   #5518
BHPian

Quote:
Soumyajit thanks. I sometimes feel like a nursery teacher looking out for kids who might hurt themselves or me and it's highly frustrating. People want to overtake when it isn't possible or legal and they want you to back off. Unfortunately overtaking these days has more to do with ego and a 'me first' attitude. Roads suddenly feel like battle fields.
Did you come to Delhi from Mumbai? I did, and had the first month like you.

Then I figured out a few things.

1. Delhiwallas are all about bluster. It is often to see who blinks first. But in reality, they are very uncomfortable at close distances. If you can drive aggressively in close distances (e.g. like the fiat cabs in South Mumbai) they will actually move away from you.
2. Premium cars actually keep good distance because the damage for them would be more.
3. Cars and bikes are the problem. Unlike other cities, most autos and call centre cabs are actually decent. Also there is no unruly bus category like Kolkata mini buses.
3. Drive with less space between you and the vehicle in front.
4. Keep left - most moronic cars keep right.
Old 1st August 2013, 10:00   #5519
BHPian

We must appreciate people who drive to and fro everyday for office/business purpose. How stressful it is. How can they cope up with stress?

Last week our office bus was not available so I was forced to use my car. I drove around 300 kms in a week and totally frustrated by heavy traffic jams and bad drivers. If it is raining heavily (sudden down pour), bikers stay away from road.

Today again I brought car to office but there was no rush on road so enjoyed the drive thoroughly. I think local authorities should fix some timing for companies so that road traffic can be controlled to some extend.
Old 1st August 2013, 10:10   #5520
BHPian

Quote:
Once on a road which goes downhill a lady hit my car from behind.

I am taking a 30 day sabbatical from driving. Only if there's an emergency would I take out my vehicle. I'd rather spend more on autos than feel frustrated & helpless.
You should't have bothered questioning her. Once a lady suddenly changed lane driving her Brand New Beat and she(her car) kissed me(Our car). She stopped on the left most lane and so did i. The moment i saw it was a lady driver, i told her Thank you ma'am and i zoomed away!

Wish you a speedy recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Did you come to Delhi from Mumbai? I did, and had the first month like you.

3. Cars and bikes are the problem.
I have moved from Mumbai to Delhi. Delhi has 3 times+ the car population as compared to any other metros,at an average 2-3 cars per family. And on weekends it gets terrible when each of the family member decides o take their own vehicle out on the roads.
if Delhi Auto wallas would be as gentle as the Mumbai Auto wallas, you need not drive everyday. For me,Delhi has the best PUBLIC TRANSPORT(Metro & Bus combination) connectivity as compared to any other city.
sinharishi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed