Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 11:38   #5521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
He says "Emi", I say what!

He then gets a little loud and wants an argument. Well not in the mood for it.
Next time anyone shouts at you, "EMI? ", tell back, "12,324! " That'll show'em!

On a serious note, you handled it just the correct way. Ignore these idiots more for your own peace of mind than anything else.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:22   #5522
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Did you come to Delhi from Mumbai? I did, and had the first month like you.

Then I figured out a few things.

1. Delhiwallas are all about bluster. It is often to see who blinks first. But in reality, they are very uncomfortable at close distances. If you can drive aggressively in close distances (e.g. like the fiat cabs in South Mumbai) they will actually move away from you.
Yes indeed they are all about bluster. I am from Delhi so I do know what you're talking about. Fortunately for me I had the exposure of living outside the city for 5 years involved in a college with people from all over the country and hence I didn't grow up with that aggression. I'd go on to say that I do know people who have been in Delhi all their lives and are sensitive to etiquette and know how to behave. However my recent experiences have left a sour taste. I don't want to engage in the whole act to see whether I can outdo the bloke acting tough. The point is many times I can but why should drives be about outdoing the idiot in the next car. There's no sanity in that. I do take all those measures but sometime they prove futile. Let me give you an example. I am driving at a safe distance from the fellow in front. In squeezes an innova without indicators even though there's no space for him and I have to break for my own sake & his. Or at a red light. If you don't stand bumper to bumper (which I don't) a bike will squeeze in. Then the fellow will be followed by 5 more and it goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post

I have moved from Mumbai to Delhi. Delhi has 3 times+ the car population as compared to any other metros,at an average 2-3 cars per family. And on weekends it gets terrible when each of the family member decides o take their own vehicle out on the roads.
if Delhi Auto wallas would be as gentle as the Mumbai Auto wallas, you need not drive everyday. For me,Delhi has the best PUBLIC TRANSPORT(Metro & Bus combination) connectivity as compared to any other city.
I agree Rishi. Delhi has fantastic public transport. The problem is unlike Mumbai I can't get out of my house and immediately find an auto. If I do he wouldn't agree to a distance of 2 kms if I do wish to visit the local market and if he does he wouldn't agree to go by the meter and will quote a higher price. Next the metro..Yes fantastic however doesn't cover the route I travel almost on a daily basis. Dwarka-South Delhi. I have no choice but to travel by auto unless I am willing to spend 2 hours in the metro changing lines for a distance which takes 40 minutes by road.

I do visit Bombay often i.e 3-4 times a year and to date I am surprised when the auto is ready to drop me for a distance less than a km. My Bombay friends mock me for that. Sigh..wish we had em in Delhi.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:36   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I have moved from Mumbai to Delhi. Delhi has 3 times+ the car population as compared to any other metros,at an average 2-3 cars per family. And on weekends it gets terrible when each of the family member decides o take their own vehicle out on the roads.
Delhi also has 10 times better roads. In fact, Delhi roads are so much better than other metros that there should not be any traffic jam - especially on arterial roads. That there are jams is a testament to the ingenuity of the Delhiwalla -- people suddenly moving from right most to left most lane etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Yes indeed they are all about bluster. I am from Delhi so I do know what you're talking about. Fortunately for me I had the exposure of living outside the city for 5 years involved in a college with people from all over the country and hence I didn't grow up with that aggression. I'd go on to say that I do know people who have been in Delhi all their lives and are sensitive to etiquette and know how to behave. However my recent experiences have left a sour taste. I don't want to engage in the whole act to see whether I can outdo the bloke acting tough. The point is many times I can but why should drives be about outdoing the idiot in the next car. There's no sanity in that. I do take all those measures but sometime they prove futile. Let me give you an example. I am driving at a safe distance from the fellow in front. In squeezes an innova without indicators even though there's no space for him and I have to break for my own sake & his. Or at a red light. If you don't stand bumper to bumper (which I don't) a bike will squeeze in. Then the fellow will be followed by 5 more and it goes on.
I agree, but you need not always "act tough" -- Just be a little cautious regarding angles and distances; and be comfortable bumper to bumper.

Anyway, you either like it or not. I have adjusted and come to enjoy it now - 60 km every day.

Driving in Delhi is actually much easier compared to other cities. For really bad, I suggest you visit Aligarh.

Agree about public transport though. In Mumbai, I very rarely took my car to office.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2013 at 01:55. Reason: Please remember to use our Multi-Quote feature instead of making back to back posts. Thanks.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 19:18   #5524
BHPian

Look at the morons on how they are riding on wrong side (right side)

That too they are riding at high speed!

Location: Sankey road towards Bashyam circle, Sadashiv Nagar, Bangalore

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 1st August 2013 at 19:20.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:12   #5525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
That too they are riding at high speed!
I guess these morons will not learn a lesson even if they collide head on with oncoming traffic . Else they would not be doing this in the first place...

Last edited by sumathindra : 2nd August 2013 at 14:14. Reason: edits
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:51   #5526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I guess these morons will not learn a lesson even if they collide head on with oncoming traffic . Else they would not be doing this in the first place...

Na, they will not learn what-so-ever! Instead they will abuse the oncoming traffic for the incident.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:27   #5527
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy forgot he was in a car, not a Bike!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130729.jpg

What exactly happened, I have put in a sketch below. He was happily waiting at the extreme right until the other side got a green and started moving towards him. At this point, he casually moves ahead diagonally and ends up in this position.

Name:  PIC.png
Views: 1474
Size:  18.7 KB

I guess he went straight/ or maybe could have even taken the right, who knows!
Old 3rd August 2013, 15:18   #5528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
This guy forgot he was in a car, not a Bike!

What exactly happened, I have put in a sketch below. He was happily waiting at the extreme right until the other side got a green and started moving towards him. At this point, he casually moves ahead diagonally and ends up in this position.

I guess he went straight/ or maybe could have even taken the right, who knows!
I believe this is a result of eagerness to cross the red light and not stopping behind others. Whilst he had to move in front to let oncoming/ turning traffic pass.
Happens almost on every red light these days.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:44   #5529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I believe this is a result of eagerness to cross the red light and not stopping behind others. Whilst he had to move in front to let oncoming/ turning traffic pass.
Happens almost on every red light these days.
Exactly, and that is the real problem. I am not really sure if he saved any substantial time for all the antics he did!

Why is it so hard to follow and not break a queue!
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:56   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Exactly, and that is the real problem. I am not really sure if he saved any substantial time for all the antics he did!

Why is it so hard to follow and not break a queue!
Common sense is not common, ettiquets are even more scarce! Gone are the days when our country used to have pehle aap (you first) attitude. Now everyone is running and saying me first!?!
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:00   #5531
Senior - BHPian

It is somewhat difficult to remember to breathe when watching Russian dashcam videos:

Last edited by Samurai : 4th August 2013 at 19:14. Reason: link fixed
amitoj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:48   #5532
BHPian

Super tough, these Russians!
Old 4th August 2013, 08:10   #5533
BHPian

Cost saving on sticking "L" sign. More over its hampering their visibility only!

And yeah.. The lady was driving zig zag. More than blaming her, should appreciate her driving tutor. :Frustrate

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image4125566596.jpg

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 4th August 2013 at 08:13.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:44   #5534
BHPian

These idiots trying to break the signal stopped only when they realized Traffic Police standing right across the street. Do we need police every now and then to make sure that one follows the rules?

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_000607.jpg
Old 7th August 2013, 21:31   #5535
BHPian

Came across this on FB.

Appreciate the guys sense of humor!

Mods: Please delete if its inappropriate as per forum rules.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-524391_10151748946244526_658051366_n.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed