Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 15:33   #5551
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Awesome!! I am going to print a few like this and keep it handy. Every evening I find some nut case plonking his\her car in front of my gate. These nut cases are regular morons. Repeated requests fall on deaf ears. One day, I removed the jack-rod from my car and threatened to break his windshield.

I think leaving such a note everyday printed with huge fonts should help me solve the problem.
I had done this kind a couple of years back. I used to put favicol on entire paper and stick on front windshield so that it blocks them completely.. But how long you will keep doing? India is full of such morons!
Old 16th August 2013, 16:24   #5552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
I think leaving such a note everyday printed with huge fonts should help me solve the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I had done this kind a couple of years back. I used to put favicol on entire paper and stick on front windshield so that it blocks them completely
You'll need to hope that the user of the car you're vandalising has a sense of humour. You don't want to be caught red handed.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:32   #5553
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!.

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I had done this kind a couple of years back. I used to put favicol on entire paper and stick on front windshield so that it blocks them completely.. But how long you will keep doing? India is full of such morons!
LOl, yup, very true; not a permanent solution. We have hordes of people like that. The sad part is, most\all of them are from the IT community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
You'll need to hope that the user of the car you're vandalising has a sense of humour. You don't want to be caught red handed.
i am game to be caught red handed, they block my house gate.

I am frusterated with such morons. Pleading, requesting, etc does not work.

The cops erected a "no parking" sign adjacent to my house gate some time back, still not much of an effect.

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2013 at 13:54. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 16th August 2013, 16:53   #5554
BHPian

Anybody knows where to get Car Cameras in Bangalore? Any shop where i can check out the stuff?
...and any suggestions / recommendations on brands?

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 16th August 2013 at 16:55.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:00   #5555
BHPian

Saw a really brave-heart (or Stupid?) lady today on Activa while going toward Majestic from Rajaji Nagar. She was driving like crazy, at one point in time she squeezed between an Auto and BMTC bus, millimetres away from Bus' front tire! It could have been really bad, god saved her today!
Old 16th August 2013, 19:04   #5556
BHPian

I'd a mini heart attack while returning from Belur Cross to Bangalore yesterday.
I was doing 80+ speeds when an auto despite seeing me thought he could cut through to the other end of the road. It emerged all of a sudden and I'd no chance to brake. Swerved and saved myself and pillion.
(no amount of honking stopped the auto's movement, HLs were on as well)

In the meanwhile, my pillion who was taking pics managed to click at the right instant, the tense scene.

Old 17th August 2013, 03:39   #5557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Anybody knows where to get Car Cameras in Bangalore? Any shop where i can check out the stuff?
...and any suggestions / recommendations on brands?

-- Torqy
I picked up 2 helmet cams on eBay for 107 usd with shipping.... Waiting for them to reach Bangalore. PM will give you the link.
Harish.Krovvidi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 10:49   #5558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I'd a mini heart attack while returning from Belur Cross to Bangalore yesterday.
I was doing 80+ speeds
Sorry to say but I think you have no business doing 80+ speeds on a two wheeler, especially when nearing a junction on our Indian roads. Heck on the expressways I stick to 80-90 in a four wheeler. Please drive safe.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:59   #5559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Sorry to say but I think you have no business doing 80+ speeds on a two wheeler, especially when nearing a junction on our Indian roads. Heck on the expressways I stick to 80-90 in a four wheeler. Please drive safe.
Personally, I think it is a case of bad judgement on the part of the auto. And notice the speed on the speedo - 13kmph. So our rider was safe.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 17th August 2013 at 12:02.
Old 17th August 2013, 12:46   #5560
BHPian

Quote:
I agree, also nearing a cut, especially the afterthought and 'made by locals' ones, we should be more cautious. As most of the accidents do happen at these locations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Personally, I think it is a case of bad judgement on the part of the auto. And notice the speed on the speedo - 13kmph. So our rider was safe.
or does it read 73? look carefully, looks like 73 to me!
Old 17th August 2013, 12:50   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Errrr. Sorry to say but your definition of Junction seems to be weird. I see that the Auto is passing through a break in the median. So it isn't a junction actually. And, well if somebody starts slowing down at these junctions, then he/she would probably not reach the destination at all . 80kmph is a decent speed and I guess what mattered in this case was the patience and respect of the auto guy towards the biker ? Would he have simply barged through the median if there was a bus or truck coming through ? But again, our biker friend could have been double alert on approaching these idiotic 'junctions'.
Quote:
Agree that it was a judgement error. But speed isn't 13kmph. Its 73kmph :-)
Must applaud the pillion for the superfast click. Its like one of those images from Seconds from Disaster !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 17th August 2013 at 12:53.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 13:53   #5562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to say that there is nothing wrong the rider did in the scenario. In fact, he did well by controlling the bike and avoiding a collision with the ignorant fool in the auto or even skidding and falling on hard braking.

I have encountered fools like these on every ride I did and they think bikes are still only the 100cc splendors or TVS's and they are slow or they don't even notice them approaching , forget even realizing the speed.
In this case, the bikes headlights were on which is an important part of a highway bike ride and the cut in the divider looks like an illegal one which means they would not be any boards indicating it which is why the rider would not have noticed untill his guy decided to jump across.

Doing high speeds on an expressway depends on how comfortable and in control the rider is doing those speeds, nothing wrong in doing 80+ on an expressway since they are built to make travel shorter, but yes if it was a single lane road.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 17th August 2013 at 13:59.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 18:21   #5563
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I agree, also nearing a cut, especially the afterthought and 'made by locals' ones, we should be more cautious. As most of the accidents do happen at these locations.

or does it read 73? look carefully, looks like 73 to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Errrr. Sorry to say but your definition of Junction seems to be weird. I see that the Auto is passing through a break in the median. So it isn't a junction actually. And, well if somebody starts slowing down at these junctions, then he/she would probably not reach the destination at all . 80kmph is a decent speed and I guess what mattered in this case was the patience and respect of the auto guy towards the biker ? Would he have simply barged through the median if there was a bus or truck coming through ? But again, our biker friend could have been double alert on approaching these idiotic 'junctions'.

Agree that it was a judgement error. But speed isn't 13kmph. Its 73kmph :-)
Must applaud the pillion for the superfast click. Its like one of those images from Seconds from Disaster !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Sorry to say that there is nothing wrong the rider did in the scenario. In fact, he did well by controlling the bike and avoiding a collision with the ignorant fool in the auto or even skidding and falling on hard braking.

I have encountered fools like these on every ride I did and they think bikes are still only the 100cc splendors or TVS's and they are slow or they don't even notice them approaching , forget even realizing the speed.
In this case, the bikes headlights were on which is an important part of a highway bike ride and the cut in the divider looks like an illegal one which means they would not be any boards indicating it which is why the rider would not have noticed untill his guy decided to jump across.

Doing high speeds on an expressway depends on how comfortable and in control the rider is doing those speeds, nothing wrong in doing 80+ on an expressway since they are built to make travel shorter, but yes if it was a single lane road.

Regards
Thanks for your valuable inputs all of you.
Let me clarify 2 things:
1. The speed captured is 73 not 13 kmph.
2. That median was made illegally by breaking the divider, there were no signs mentioning the same and I guess doing 80-85 is actually slow on Mangalore - Bangalore highway. Most cars/bikes (tourers) move in excess of 100.

My HL was on and this auto came out all of a sudden, hence I was surprised.
I honked twice (long ones) and flashed the higher beam but had to save myself with some evasive maneuvers.
Old 17th August 2013, 21:21   #5564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

the cut in the divider looks like an illegal one which means they would not be any boards indicating it which is why the rider would not have noticed untill his guy decided to jump across.

Regards
This reminds me of an accident that occured an year ago in Chennai.
The NH 45 is a 4 lane highway that connects Chennai and Trichy. It was 4am and an auto with 2 passengers wanted to take a turn where there was no opening in the median so, he decided to cross over and drive in the opposite direction. It was a blind corner, this fellow was on the right most lane of the oncoming traffic thinking that no vehicles were there. An Endeavour, doing a good 130-140 rammed the auto head on & the auto was tossed for a few hundred feet away. No one in the auto survived.
They aren't lucky everytime they do that & thank god our rider was alert enough to swerve away to safety!
saadat1992 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 10:30   #5565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Errrr. Sorry to say but your definition of Junction seems to be weird. I see that the Auto is passing through a break in the median. So it isn't a junction actually. And, well if somebody starts slowing down at these junctions, then he/she would probably not reach the destination at all . 80kmph is a decent speed
The break in the divider would have been seen from quite a distance. So also the auto at the break / junction trying to take the turn. On the contrary, if one does not start slowing down, I am sure sometimes somebody will reach the wrong destination. Defensive driving is always better.

In Indian conditions, 80 kmph in my opinion is not a decent speed.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks