Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2013, 09:53   #5566
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Yesterday I came across a bad bus driver. I was waiting in a medical shop to get some medicine. Suddenly someone barged to the shop in Khakhi uniform. He need some medicine and he had parked the bus in the middle lane of the road . Few seconds later the entire road got chocked up due to vehicles. He got the medicine in 2-3 minutes. It was worth seeing that stretch after his moronic behavior.

This incident reminded another similar case happened in Kerala. A loco pilot stopped the train in a level crossing and went to get some thing from near by shop. Due to public protest the culprit was suspended for some months.
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:26   #5567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
The break in the divider would have been seen from quite a distance. So also the auto at the break / junction trying to take the turn. On the contrary, if one does not start slowing down, I am sure sometimes somebody will reach the wrong destination. Defensive driving is always better.

In Indian conditions, 80 kmph in my opinion is not a decent speed.
I would request you to drive on this road once, to understand. I drive on this route frequently, to Mangalore and back. There are enough signs that say the speed limit is 80 KMPH. Motorists pay toll to do 80 KMPH on this road. I drive between 80 and 90 KMPH all the time. Any slower, and expect to get rear ended by a KSRTC Volvo or a speeding car. Note that left lanes are usually occupied by trucks and oil tankers (that supply petroleum products to Bangalore from MRPL). Mostly, the road is 4 lane. It has six lanes only in few stretches.

Also, a driver will be able to spot a break in the divider only if she/he is looking for it. Obviously, that break should not be there, so no one looks for it.

You wouldn't believe, I have even spotted children playing cricket on the median, where the median is broad (that is, Kunigal bypass).
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:47   #5568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
This incident reminded another similar case happened in Kerala. A loco pilot stopped the train in a level crossing and went to get some thing from near by shop.
IIRC it was an Assistant Loco-Pilot who got down from the cabin and he went to a hotel near the level crossing to buy food.

Quote:
Due to public protest the culprit was suspended for some months.
This is news to me. Good to know that
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:41   #5569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
There are enough signs that say the speed limit is 80 KMPH. Motorists pay toll to do 80 KMPH on this road.
No, nobody pays to do any speed on any road.

Please do not confuse speed limit with safe speed. There are plenty of drivers arguing that many roads are perfectly safe for higher speeds than their limits, but sadly few recognising that the opposite is often true.

I speak from experience. I had just crossed a 50MPH speed limit sign (in UK) and reduced my speed to that. An elderly man in an even more elderly car went to cross in front of me ...and stalled. Luckily there was no injury to person, but there was plenty of injury to both cars.

The UK police were involved, and absolved me from responsibilty, giving him an official telling off (known as a "caution" in UK) but the fact that I was free of "blame" did not stop me realising that the speed limit does not mean safe speed.

It is not an "accident in India," and I have probably mentioned it before. I hope it will be allowed as it really was one of the most valuable lessons of my driving life.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:37   #5570
Senior - BHPian

this is a owner driven (looked like owner material ) Audi A4. see if you can spot the jagaad here

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_6233.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:42   #5571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is a owner driven (looked like owner material ) Audi A4. see if you can spot the jagaad here
LOL. He thinks a "seatbelt" is a belt that should be worn by the seat.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:50   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

LOL. He thinks a "seatbelt" is a belt that should be worn by the seat.
Hehe.. I think he got too held up on the literal meaning
Old 23rd August 2013, 00:33   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is a owner driven (looked like owner material ) Audi A4. see if you can spot the jagaad
My cab drivers do the same thing the pull it over them when they see cops at a distance. Other wise push it back. But seeing this on an import is a

Last edited by Harish.Krovvidi : 23rd August 2013 at 00:34. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd August 2013, 00:55   #5574
BHPian

Some of us use cabs for city / airport / railway station travel. I make it a point to highlight bad driving to cabbies as a passenger. Mostly starts with wrong lane (holding traffic, blocking free left, breaking queue etc).

I make it a point to let cab drivers know upfront (within 5 mins of travel) that road signals, etiquette and basic civil sense is a requirement.

For a driver using cell phone, no seat belt, wrong lane at toll etc... They can forget tip and guarantee a good feedback session.

I have even asked cabbies to pull over when they cut lanes at red lights and bully premium or small cars.

Believe me, a 50 or 100 rupee note missed by a cabbie as tip is going to ensure serious thinking and safer driving for all.

Tip: forget lane, cell phone, horn, seat belt, toll lane etc.... Ask a cabbie about running over zebra crossings and have some fun at stop signs.
mustysekhon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 00:17   #5575
BHPian

Here is one stuntman that we encountered on the road, when travelling to Chikmagalur.

The guy was actually flat on the roof of the car holding on to it's sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130713_142843_1.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20130713_142845_11.jpg  

rakirank is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:06   #5576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Here is one stuntman that we encountered on the road, when travelling to Chikmagalur.

Sorry to be blunt but these guys do not deserve to survive.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:15   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Yesterday I came across a bad bus driver. I was waiting in a medical shop to get some medicine. Suddenly someone barged to the shop in Khakhi uniform. He need some medicine and he had parked the bus in the middle lane of the road . Few seconds later the entire road got chocked up due to vehicles. He got the medicine in 2-3 minutes. It was worth seeing that stretch after his moronic behavior.

This incident reminded another similar case happened in Kerala. A loco pilot stopped the train in a level crossing and went to get some thing from near by shop. Due to public protest the culprit was suspended for some months.
In fact a few days ago, I came across an YouTube video of a train driver in Kerala, stopping it at a level cross to buy his lunch or breakfast. We, most of the Indians, take others for granted and it is something to do with our attitudes. We generally wear our attitudes and expect others to commend it.
Old 24th August 2013, 11:15   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
We can not call him a stunt man. Rather we should call him an idiot. Now no one can imagine what they will do if they get a more powerful machine.
Old 24th August 2013, 19:41   #5579
BHPian

Today's incident-

I was standing on a red light, when a biker came from side and stopped. Switched his bike off, got down and crossed the light on foot like a pedestrian. Started his bike and ride off! :frustrati
I wonder he must be proud that he didn't break red light and crossed as a pedestrian! How much time did he save?

Last edited by stormerider : 24th August 2013 at 19:44.
Old 24th August 2013, 20:59   #5580
Senior - BHPian

A few days ago I had a bad experience with a bad Tata Winger driver. @10.00pm in the night, signal was red, everyone had stopped (!) and this person was behind my car honking like mad and gesturing me to give way. The moment the signal was green, he overtook rashly from the left and tried to purposely cut me off, and showed a finger through the window. I left the matter at that and let him go, there was no point in getting into an argument with this person.

Quote:
That's completely insane. One wrong action and the person is dead. I wonder how the police don't find/penalize such cartoons.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 24th August 2013 at 21:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks