Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 23:29   #5581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormerider View Post
I was standing on a red light, when a biker came from side and stopped. Switched his bike off, got down and crossed the light on foot like a pedestrian.
I'm used to pedal cyclists doing that in UK, but I never saw a biker do it.

I don't have a problem with it, though. Far better than ignoring the signal and just driving through.
Old 25th August 2013, 16:54   #5582
Senior - BHPian

Me and wifey almost got crushed under a speeding Amaze (most likely) yesterday night at Pali Hill, Bandra around 0130 am.

We came out of a gate next to the HDFC Bank / Fab India on Pali Hill and our car was parked right across the road. As we started crossing I could here loud music and lights coming up from the left side, couldn't see the car as it is a curve. We hurried across the road and had almost reached our car when we see this Amaze (most likely) blasting up the road at speeds of around 80 kmph with LOUD music blasting and white lights on high beam.

Now instead of going past us, the car changes direction towards us. I see that and push me and my wife flat against my parked car while the car screams past cms away from us. Right ahead of my car was a cemented block protecting a tree and the car missed that by cms too. In order to avoid that box, the car swung right and drove along that road on the wrong side and disappeared.

As the car went past, I could hear guys screaming, jeering and laughing away on the top of their voice. I could not get the number plate.

This was fun for them, scaring people or maybe they saw a girl so they decided to have some fun..I don't know but a small wrong judgement would have cost us our lives.

My wife was shaken up for a couple of hours after that.

Am attaching a crude drawing depicting the incident.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20130825_154838.jpg

Last edited by normally_crazy : 25th August 2013 at 16:57.
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 18:22   #5583
BHPian

Today came across a PMPL (Pune/PCMC Corporation Bus) driver who was struggling to overtake other vehicles on a 90 Deg turn at Khadki Cantonment Area. In that process he was about to crush a person who stood in the turning. His reaction was too fast so he managed to escape.
Old 25th August 2013, 23:53   #5584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
this is a owner driven (looked like owner material ) Audi A4. see if you can spot the jagaad here

Attachment 1128184
This is a clear case of irresponsibility! Does not matter if one drives a M800 or a Audi, what's the point when one does not care for the safety of self and others
Old 26th August 2013, 08:00   #5585
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Here is a wicked fellow I spotted yesterday. Casually breaking a red traffic light near Raheja Residency Koramangala. Uploaded his pic on BTP FB page.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image1731424126.jpg
Old 26th August 2013, 13:46   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Here is a wicked fellow I spotted yesterday. Casually breaking a red traffic light near Raheja Residency Koramangala. Uploaded his pic on BTP FB page.
Good thought on your part to capture both the car and the red signal in the same frame. However, don't you think it is safe to hide its number plate before flashing the car here? May be difficult to prove his guilt though! These sights are quite common with two wheelers in particular in Chennai.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:01   #5587
Senior - BHPian

For the mother, endangering the kid. What a shame ! No excuses whatever should be entertained. Period.

Source: FB
Name:  Screenshot_20130827115848.png
Views: 1114
Size:  382.5 KB
Old 27th August 2013, 12:53   #5588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

For the mother, endangering the kid. What a shame ! No excuses whatever should be entertained. Period.
]
Oh my god !! Totally deplorable. I fail to understand the mentality of people endangering the lives of their little ones. Plenty of options like kangaroo bags available too.
Old 27th August 2013, 15:23   #5589
Distinguished - BHPian

It is probably no more dangerous than carrying a child of that age any other way on a 2-wheeler.

I have to use my imagination to guess what a "kangaroo bag" might be, but I doubt if any such thing could be to a proper safety standard. A bike is no place for a child, unless old enough to sit properly, and wearing, at least, a helmet.

The practice of bikes as family transport has to stop. But it won't
Old 29th August 2013, 14:18   #5590
BHPian

A greatness of a car is not in its ability to go fast but its ability to stop safely when required - Me. But people dont seem to realize this especially on highways. Recently while driving between chennai and bangalore, I was cruising mostly between 100-120 occasionally touching speeds of upto 130 in my 4 month old C220 CDI. I am accelerate only when I am sure that the vehicle I drive is capable of stopping with a safe buffer distance ahead. But what really shocked me is when I overtake a vehicle at 120 or 125, they try to re overtake me at speeds in excess of 130 (thats the max I did) to satisfy their ego leaving me completely shocked. Do they find happiness in compromising their safety just to over take a vehicle ?

Another Instance is trying to block the vehicle behind from overtaking you. Quiet a few instances of cars (not buses or trucks) trying to prevent me from overtaking them intentionally by driving right in the middle of both the lanes. When I try to over take from the right lane the vehicle moves right blocking the lane and when I move left the vehicle immediately blocks the left lane. Completely got me angry. So I stopped by the side, stretched my legs for a minute or two and completely relaxed myself and put on some fine music to drive again.

(The vehicles involved in both the instances were mostly hatchback including an Alto800 which overtook me at 140)

Last edited by BoeingDriver : 29th August 2013 at 14:22. Reason: More Info added
BoeingDriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 07:47   #5591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
I'd a mini heart attack while returning from Belur Cross to Bangalore yesterday.
I was doing 80+ speeds when an auto despite seeing me thought he could cut through to the other end of the road. It emerged all of a sudden and I'd no chance to brake. Swerved and saved myself and pillion.
(no amount of honking stopped the auto's movement, HLs were on as well)

In the meanwhile, my pillion who was taking pics managed to click at the right instant, the tense scene.
I faced a very similar situation on a 4 lane highway wen i was doing 80kmph on my Pulsar 220 and an Indica cut across and occupied my lane(left lane) all of a sudden. I braked, swerved and rear ended the Indica sideways!

Luckily i didn't fall. But my left indicator broke off and flew upwards upon impact. Crash guard dent the Indica's rear n saved my left knee.

The worst part is that when i pulled over a few metres in front of the Indica, 4 South Indian movie goonda sized goons get off the car. The locality in which this happened is notoriously noted for rowdyism and i was alone

I waited till all of them got off and sped away :P.
Cost me 110 rupees for a new left indicator.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:27   #5592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I think she feels it a HIP thing by doing this! IMO She should be arrested.

In this show off world, even children are not spared! God only save us.

- Sai

Last edited by Vihari : 30th August 2013 at 08:28. Reason: to remove smiley from the quote
Old 30th August 2013, 08:38   #5593
BHPian

Oh My Goodness, that's one of the insane pictures I've seen. No need of arrest though, a proper guidance would make her to avoid such things.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:44   #5594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
But what really shocked me is when I overtake a vehicle at 120 or 125, they try to re overtake me at speeds in excess of 130 (thats the max I did) to satisfy their ego leaving me completely shocked. Do they find happiness in compromising their safety just to over take a vehicle ?

Another Instance is trying to block the vehicle behind from overtaking you. Quiet a few instances of cars (not buses or trucks) trying to prevent me from overtaking them intentionally by driving right in the middle of both the lanes. When I try to over take from the right lane the vehicle moves right blocking the lane and when I move left the vehicle immediately blocks the left lane. Completely got me angry. So I stopped by the side, stretched my legs for a minute or two and completely relaxed myself and put on some fine music to drive again.

(The vehicles involved in both the instances were mostly hatchback including an Alto800 which overtook me at 140)
This seems quite common. I had faced similar situations when I was returning from Goa, a couple of weeks ago. There was a Santro (at least 5-7years old vehicles), Alto's, 800s that were simply overtaking just to satisfy their ego. They would overtake and slow down right ahead of you as if you're supposed to follow them. When I overtook them, they were literally struggling to get ahead of me, even by getting in between lanes at the toll gate. These poor fellows don't realize how unsafe such acts could be while my Laura is equipped with the currently most advanced safety systems.

They simply want to thrill before their wives, girlfriends etc., as if this is the method to prove to them they are MEN. I always noticed the dismay in their faces when I overtake them again. GOD bless them!

I finally let them go and kept really far from them.

Last edited by nitinbose : 30th August 2013 at 08:47.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 08:46   #5595
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihari View Post
I think she feels it a HIP thing by doing this! IMO She should be arrested.

In this show off world, even children are not spared! God only save us.

- Sai
Sorry, I don't believe she is trying to show-off. The kido is so young that I can not think of any way he/she would be able to cling to the mother. I guess, the mother was compelled to take the scooter ride and may be there was no pillion to hold the baby.

Not trying to defend the action. Irrespective of the intentions, the act is definitely stupid. If I would have been in such a situation, I would have taken a auto/taxi instead. But I don't want to hazard a guess about the situation in which this particular mother decided to opt for this option.

Last edited by SDP : 30th August 2013 at 08:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks