Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2013, 20:39   #5641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post

Shankar sir, doesn't the cloth at you IRVM block your view???
That was a cab! I was in the back seat!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 14:25   #5642
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Took this from today's Hindu, Chennai edition. Though the photographer wanted to capture the impact of the rain, he has beautifully captured the reality. If they dont respect the law, would they not care for their own lives?!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-motoristinrain_.jpg  

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 11th September 2013 at 14:26.
raghu.t.k is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 14:45   #5643
Senior - BHPian

Bad, careless or callous. Saw this between Agara & Iblur. Red mark is the head of the driver. Yellow is the infant (may be 5~6 months) he is carrying on his shoulder & negotiating the car (handling gear + steering). There was no one else in the car.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-baby.jpg
Old 11th September 2013, 17:00   #5644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Took this from today's Hindu, Chennai edition. Though the photographer wanted to capture the impact of the rain, he has beautifully captured the reality. If they dont respect the law, would they not care for their own lives?!!

Oh, this is so frustrating. Every time the media publish a picture like this, without comment, it reinforces the ideas people have that the behaviour is normal and just fine.

The Hindu is quite hot on social campaigns, recently giving prominent coverage to pedestrian space and civic cleanliness. Cannot they see how wrong these bad-example pictures are? My guess: the pictures editor, the editor, and maybe even N Ram himself travel like this themselves so they don't see any problem.

Here's my bit of "activism"... Let any of our members who see this and agree write to the editor today. I have done in the past, in fact they even published a letter from me about driver attitudes, but they edited out my suggestions as to how the media can help, or, at least, not hinder. Please help to make them aware.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th September 2013 at 17:01.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 18:01   #5645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Yellow is the infant (may be 5~6 months) he is carrying on his shoulder & negotiating the car (handling gear + steering). There was no one else in the car.
The concept of Baby/Child seats are a far cry in today's society. Not an excuse, but I think, the police and NGOs really need to conduct awareness campaings on defensive driving, the need to follow rules and being courteous to other road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

..Cannot they see how wrong these bad-example pictures are? My guess: the pictures editor, the editor, and maybe even N Ram himself travel like this themselves so they don't see any problem.

Couldn't agree more with you. But looks like somebody did notice this. I checked the online edition for the same new article, and it had a diff picture where a cyclist was using an umbrella!! I had a thought to upload the above photograph to the traffic police facebook page, but then was not sure what / how they would respond. I have highlighted twice on non-functional signals and yet to see a response.

I think, the real change needs to start from home where everyone feels the need to be disciplined and courteous. While the rider was taking the decision, the pillion rider should have requested to move aside. At the end of the day she is equally at risk as the rider himself. The parents need to perform the role of being the right role model for their kids. The school and social media should instill the courage for the kids to question their parents / friends/ relatives when they do not follow the rules or are not courteous to other road users. Today the media and social media portray the most inappropriate behavior which the kids are glad to mimic.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 11th September 2013 at 18:11.
raghu.t.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2013, 23:15   #5646
Senior - BHPian

This gentleman seems to enjoy his drive without the head-restraints and seat-belt:

Name:  vlcsnap2013091122h47m41s223.png
Views: 1068
Size:  457.1 KB

He had earphones plugged in as well
Old 11th September 2013, 23:36   #5647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
This gentleman seems to enjoy his drive without the head-restraints and seat-belt:
I have seen a chauffeur driven Innova near Marathhalli with lady passenger with head-restraints removed from both front & rear seats. Couldn't figure out why.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:51   #5648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

He had earphones plugged in as well
Many of our drivers are not aware of the actual function of the head-restraints. They might have considered it as a head rest.

The ear phone usage during driving is now becoming popular. Many of them use it for listening to music while others for answering and receiving calls. Due to the nature of their profession, some people are forced to use ear phones. So I am not sure whether we can just tell them not to use it.. anyways very risky act.
Old 11th September 2013, 23:58   #5649
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Due to the nature of their profession, some people are forced to use ear phones. So I am not sure whether we can just tell them not to use it.. anyways very risky act.
I agree partially.

It is a very stupid thing to use headphones while driving but here the point is whether headphone/bluetooth kit/ direct holding the mobile near the ear looses concentration on driving so the risk of accidents are higher.

Not justifiable if something goes wrong so whatever the profession be better not using the mobiles. My two cents.

Anurag.
Old 12th September 2013, 00:12   #5650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It is a very stupid thing to use headphones while driving but here the point is whether headphone/bluetooth kit/ direct holding the mobile near the ear looses concentration on driving so the risk of accidents are higher.
I agree with your view. What I meant to say is, there are guys who work as cab drivers, delivery boys, collection agents etc. They used to get lots of calls during driving/riding. I was talking about those guys.

Regarding concentration, I have personally experienced this. I was about to park my vehicle and got a call (for which I was waiting). As I was about to park, I answered the call and put it in speaker phone. I hardly moved 10-15 meters towards the parking lot, but my cars got slightly scrapped by the stopper. It happened due to that phone call.

Last edited by MaxTorque : 12th September 2013 at 00:14.
Old 12th September 2013, 09:14   #5651
BHPian

Saw this in FB. Vehicle belonging to govt. of Kerala driving in the wrong side in Trivandrum.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1238390_10151711542734652_383827284_n.jpg
Old 12th September 2013, 09:33   #5652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Saw this in FB. Vehicle belonging to govt. of Kerala driving in the wrong side in Trivandrum.
Not sure if you are missing something or extra has been added here.. Found another photo of the same.

Here is the link for the post,
Photos of Motor Vehicles Department Kerala

Edit: had missed to add photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image.jpg  

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 12th September 2013 at 09:49.
Old 12th September 2013, 09:35   #5653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post

Attachment 1137442
Yes and I remember a comment on the same post from the motor vehicle department asking what was the violation
Old 12th September 2013, 10:25   #5654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad, careless or callous. Saw this between Agara & Iblur. Red mark is the head of the driver. Yellow is the infant (may be 5~6 months) he is carrying on his shoulder & negotiating the car (handling gear + steering). There was no one else in the car.
Here is one more, with kid(may be around 2 years old) on the drivers lap, this is not only a violation but putting others life on danger as well. This was on the busy bannerghatta road, bangalore.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-kidonlap.jpg
Old 12th September 2013, 10:39   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
he is carrying on his shoulder & negotiating the car (handling gear + steering).
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is one more, with kid(may be around 2 years old) on the drivers lap, this is not only a violation but putting others life on danger as well.
Another one

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_000782.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks