Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 09:54   #5686
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Here's one of the worst parking examples ever!

Parking as if he owns the place --- although, as pointed out on that thread, maybe he does!
Haha, I actually laughed seeing the photo.
I once came across a Corolla parked that way at a supermarket in Bangalore, which has similar parking (wall on one side). An SX4 was parked correctly and this Corolla had parked like this supercar with the SX4 forming the T shape. I had enough parking options, but I parked right behind the Corolla, converting the T shape into I shape (you see, I am from Mangalore, so moral policing seems to be in my blood ).
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 21:31   #5687
Senior - BHPian

Got a forward from my friend from the BTP facebook page with message "Caution ! usage of High Beam light is banned in Bangalore City. Use Low Beam light, Avoid Penalty!"

I hope they implement it strictly. I also hope that its just not restricted to city limits but to outskirts too since I see more number of jokers with high beam in outskirts where the population of real estate vehicles (White Fortuners, White Scorpios...) is very high. 95% of them don't even know that there is something called "Low Beam" in their vehicles.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 10:12   #5688
Senior - BHPian

You are right. Living outside the city, this is the worst problem I face when I have to go home between 7 and 9 PM. Every vehicle on the road is on high beam, including police vehicles and BMTC buses.

I don't think the police force outside the city limits are trained as well as the police serving within the city.
Old 7th October 2013, 20:59   #5689
BHPian

Saw an Opel Astra being driven on the Dwarka flyover with mirrors folded. A lady in the front passenger seat and a puny toddler jutting out from the sunroof his legs placed on the lady's shoulder and the lady wasn't wearing a seat belt. The car was doing speeds of 70. This flyover has 3 speed breakers and sudden braking often comes into the picture.

Are people stupid or are people stupid?
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 22:35   #5690
BHPian

Yesterday I boarded my friend's car which was parked. While sitting, I noticed the left side OVRM was folded and I opened it. After dropping me at my place, I said "Good Night" and closed the door. While walking towards my home, he honked and drawn my attention. Then he asked me to fold the OVRM While asking, he said, he is not comfortable in using the left side OVRM. His vehicle only three months and now it sports a major scratch on left side rear wheel arch.

Looks like I need to explain him the necessity of the OVRMs.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 23:49   #5691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Yesterday I boarded my friend's car which was parked. While sitting, I noticed the left side OVRM was folded and I opened it. After dropping me at my place, I said "Good Night" and closed the door. While walking towards my home, he honked and drawn my attention. Then he asked me to fold the OVRM While asking, he said, he is not comfortable in using the left side OVRM. His vehicle only three months and now it sports a major scratch on left side rear wheel arch. Looks like I need to explain him the necessity of the OVRMs.
Some people still do not learn the hard way

And they are the people you simply just cannot argue on what is good / bad.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:25   #5692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...While asking, he said, he is not comfortable in using the left side OVRM. His vehicle only three months and now it sports a major scratch on left side rear wheel arch.

Actually, he is not breaking any law. Left side ORVM not (yet) mandatory in India. Can we call him a bad driver, when law itself is not against what he does?

Our laws are still from the days of single lane carriageways
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 08:32   #5693
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I boarded my friend's car which was parked. While sitting, I noticed the left side OVRM was folded and I opened it. After dropping me at my place, I said "Good Night" and closed the door. While walking towards my home, he honked and drawn my attention. Then he asked me to fold the OVRM While asking, he said, he is not comfortable in using the left side OVRM. His vehicle only three months and now it sports a major scratch on left side rear wheel arch.

Ha ha. Did you give him a lecture?

I have heard people say that they dont want to scratch the ORVM so prefer to keep it folded in. Beat that!
I have also seen ladies use it for makeup while the car is moving. Guess it gives a better view. Ha ha.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:34   #5694
Senior - BHPian

It would be great if the high beam use is strictly implemented

But now apart from cabs and other illiterates on the road, I have noticed many new two wheelers have really bright lights. Especially un'geared scooters .
It is very annoying since most of the two wheeler public do not know the concept of dip/bright. To make matters worse, these bikes have clear glass for headlamps to add to looks and brightness.
I recently rode a new Honda Activa and the headlamp was in dim and even then, it felt it was in bright becuase of the height and level of the lamps.
End result is difficulty for a car driver in the opposite direction. All you can do is concentrate on by looking on the road right ahead of the car or bike you are on.

Regards

Last edited by tharian : 8th October 2013 at 08:36.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:47   #5695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I boarded my friend's car which was parked. While sitting, I noticed the left side OVRM was folded and I opened it.
---
Looks like your friend didn't notice the left ORVM open till you got off. So, not much use even if its open all the time. Many people don't know how to effectively utilize the mirrors and that it forms an important part of driving. Its a big shame!

I am waiting for days when the parking sensors get added to all the 4 sides of a car here in our country. We clearly need better driving schools and stringent license tests. Long over due.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:49   #5696
Senior - BHPian

High beam usage should be strictly regulated. So should be all forms of illegal lights including aftermarket Xenons & LEDs. Even if you use projectors for the Xenons, the beams are not precisely pointed as the projector and the bulbs dont strictly match. This results in a glare for oncoming motorists and poor visibility for the driver. I've also noticed certain aftermarket LED lights causing glare.
Old 8th October 2013, 09:08   #5697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The scenario in The Dhaalli around a week ago at one of the toll booths en route The Surajkund...

Note the wickedly neat manner in which first the little Swift and then the bigger Duster both barged in directly in front of the car I was travelling in...

Hopeless. No manners. Bad creatures. No point in even trying to talk to them, they are vicious looking, evil, uneducated, thuggish characters whom one does not wish to tangle with as an outsider and as a mere visitor to that part of the country.
Oh! This is becoming a common practise nowadays! If there's a queue at the toll gates, everyone tries to squeeze in. Most bus drivers have their assistants stand right in front of your car (to block you, ofcourse) so that the bus can get ahead of you. The smaller (an some ancient) cars then try to use the opportunity.

How uncultured!

Last edited by nitinbose : 8th October 2013 at 09:09.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:31   #5698
BHPian

A situation we see often. A long queue before a junction. Two-wheelers jump over to the on-coming lane and speed off to the front. If that is not enough, they don't give way to the on-coming traffic, instead honking and making them give way.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-nagawara_signal.jpg  

Old 8th October 2013, 11:54   #5699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
A situation we see often. A long queue before a junction. Two-wheelers jump over to the on-coming lane and speed off to the front. If that is not enough, they don't give way to the on-coming traffic, instead honking and making them give way.
Haahaaahaa. Looks like the dreaded Nagwara junction ? Am I correct ?
IIRC, last Sunday I had been there and saw those huge blocks dividing the road.

Those huge blocks are placed to divide the road, but the genius contractor has left gaps in between the blocks. I absolutely fail the reason to have the road divided in such a manner.
Old 8th October 2013, 12:00   #5700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Haahaaahaa. Looks like the dreaded Nagwara junction ? Am I correct ?
You are spot on. I have to deal with this about twice a week. What else can we do except watch. I don't think they will replace these blocks with something permanent till the fly-over work is completed.

Most Viewed