Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 16:14   #5791
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
No rule/law can be idiot-proof. If you are going to factor into a system the possibility of someone running a red-light (gross traffic violation), it does not really matter what signal configuration is used - because the end result will be chaos. Signal configurations cannot be uniform across the world (one side goes, all others wait for 45 seconds), but depends on the junction, the kind of traffic volume, traffic-density difference between various roads of the junction etc. What works for the junction near your home need not work for other places.
I have another fool-proof idea.

Sometimes I have seen at Kundanahalli signal (Bangy boys would know), BTP puts up cones to seggregrate the free left from the straight goers. But then, its of a very small length. May be they could put up divider some 500 mtrs from the actual signal. Someone who is stuck in traffic beyond 500mts would not be even able to make out if the signal is red or someone is blocking the free left !!

What pisses me off is when I see the Free Left sign board / Green light blinking, but can't move because I someone is blocking my way.

Anyways, lets not get in the eyes of moderators. Everyone has a logic. What matters is how we follow them.

For me, if I see someone blocking me, I put my hands on the horn pad and sit comfortably, till he moves out. If the cops come, let him see what the blocker is doing.

If I am stuck in such a situation, where I am blocking, I inch ahead/aside and try to make space. If I can't, I to go into the direction which is a free left or straight, stop ahead and see the return way out to my original route, come back and join my original route.
Old 30th October 2013, 16:14   #5792
Distinguished - BHPian

I forgot one thing that has to be included in traffic signal logic. I feel very bad about forgetting it. It is the thing that us drivers often give the least priority or thought to...

Pedestrians have to be given a chance to cross too!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 16:16   #5793
Senior - BHPian

Look what I saw on last sunday:

silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 16:18   #5794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I forgot one thing that has to be included in traffic signal logic. I feel very bad about forgetting it. It is the thing that us drivers often give the least priority or thought to...

Pedestrians have to be given a chance to cross too!
Haaahaaahaaa. That's qualifies for discussion on another exclusive thread altogether !!!
The positive thing is , I hear the buzzer for pedestrian crossing, don't know whether that 10 seconds time is enough for one to cross a 80ft road !!
Old 30th October 2013, 17:53   #5795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

Haaahaaahaaa. That's qualifies for discussion on another exclusive thread altogether !!!
The positive thing is , I hear the buzzer for pedestrian crossing, don't know whether that 10 seconds time is enough for one to cross a 80ft road !!
Heard BTP s planning to bring in pedestrian controlled signals, which they can operate when they have to cross, at specific places in the city. Forgot the name of that specific signals, but if used correctly, that should give the pedestrians enough time to cross.
Old 30th October 2013, 20:36   #5796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Heard BTP s planning to bring in pedestrian controlled signals, which they can operate when they have to cross, at specific places in the city. Forgot the name of that specific signals, but if used correctly, that should give the pedestrians enough time to cross.
A pedestrian controlled signal was installed in front of Shopper's Stop on Bannerghata Road (not sure of other locations in the city).
Me and wifey were excited to see and tried using it.

Reaction from vehicles were surprising. Some slowed down seeing the red light, some didn't slow down and some actually stopped. I was somehow happy.
May be, the motorists would have learned something slowly.
But no, we never learn anything, nor allow others to learn. We always do it our way.

3 days later, I see that the switch is gone (broken and stolen) and the light is off.
So bottomline, apart from the switch, a cop still needs to be there, to safeguard the switch.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 00:03   #5797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
These pelican crossings are available in Bangalore at a few places and I've noticed that very few even know what it is or how to use it (even after demonstrating it right in front of them).

And in several cases, the switches go missing (easy to remove them, just twist it out like a bottle-cap) every now and then.
Old 31st October 2013, 08:02   #5798
Senior - BHPian

Kerala MVD suspends license of an engineering student for an year for stunts with a modified Honda City. The driver didn't pull over the car for a second time and the officials had to engage in a high speed chase to catch him. The RC of the car was also cancelled and it remains in custody.

Here is the news snippet which came in The Hindu today.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-optimizedwp_20131031_002.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Look what I saw on last sunday
Sadly, a scary and very familiar sight on the KL - Bangalore route on TN roads.

Last edited by deetjohn : 31st October 2013 at 08:11. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 09:41   #5799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Kerala MVD suspends license of an engineering student for an year for stunts with a modified Honda City.
Good one. Some of our young chaps behave on the road as it is a race track. Looks like the Honda City going to spend rest of it's life in RTO/Police Station.
Old 31st October 2013, 12:08   #5800
BHPian

One more addition to the existing fleet of Chennai cabs.

This cab was swaying across from Left and Right all the way from Pallavaram to Chromepet trying to sneak between cars/bikes. Added to this, this moron was playing music in a such a loud manner that resembled some temple procession.

Added to this, I noticed couple of students from reputed engineering colleges in their Yamaha FZ's driving their bikes in the most pathetic manner, cutting across lanes, showing gestures etc on GST Road today.

What a bad day to start with!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20131031_003-2.jpg  

Old 31st October 2013, 12:28   #5801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kerala MVD suspends license of an engineering student for an year for stunts with a modified Honda City...
Serves him right! Unless you have a car that can take off and vanish like a VTOL combat plane, it's foolish to try to outrun cops on our city roads

Quote:
Sadly, a scary and very familiar sight on the KL - Bangalore route on TN roads.
Amen to that
Old 31st October 2013, 12:42   #5802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kerala MVD suspends license of an engineering student for an year for stunts with a modified Honda City. The driver didn't pull over the car for a second time and the officials had to engage in a high speed chase to catch him. The RC of the car was also cancelled and it remains in custody.
This youngster uses a car as a lethal weapon against an RTO official and gets ...his licence suspended for a year. He should be facing a trial as a stepping stone to prison, instead, he is facing more "fun" on the road as soon as he can get behind the wheel of something, whether licensed or not.

Old 31st October 2013, 12:46   #5803
BHPian

I don't know if this belongs to road rage confessions or bad drivers but I did pull off a stunt to teach someone a lesson.

I was driving on the left lane cause I had to take a left from the next intersection and a Chevy Beat was on the next lane driving with folded mirrors but slightly ahead although not completely ahead of my car. He started drifting towards the left. I pushed my car a little further left but his guy kept pushing me away from the road. He didn't realize that I was there is my best guess. I honked and he halted cause had he pushed any further left he would hit my car. I rolled down my window and opened his left side mirror and yelled ab isko khol ke chala "Now keep this open". He didn't react. I guess he realized his mistake and I carried on driving.

These days I've made a promise to myself to not react and I do overlook mistakes often but this was frustrating considering its a 2 lane road. Also, I realize this guy was decent and someone else could have reacted differently.
Old 31st October 2013, 12:52   #5804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Today morning I was witness to an incident, I was waiting at the signal near Veerasandra on Hosur Road to turn green, a TN registration number TN49 xxxx, Sri Siddalingeshwara name in Kannada comes behind my car and honks to move me, I refused, then one person comes out of the bus and knocks on my co-driver window and instructs me to move on.
I have seen far too many TN number bearing vehicles blocking traffic opposite Christ collage. The road is not wide enough for two buses to stop. but these buses often stop before the designated stop, after the stop, and many times adjoining another bus, that's stopped at the bus stop, thus blocking the whole incoming traffic from dairy circle. They don't follow any rules, drive rash, and are rude when they are not given their way. In comparison BMTC drivers looks like angel.
Old 31st October 2013, 13:16   #5805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This youngster uses a car as a lethal weapon against an RTO official and gets ...his licence suspended for a year. He should be facing a trial as a stepping stone to prison, instead, he is facing more "fun" on the road as soon as he can get behind the wheel of something, whether licensed or not.

A police case has been registered against him for attempting to run over a RTO official and he is on bail.

Refer the news paper clipping a few posts up.

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st October 2013 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks