Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 08:57   #5836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Came across this series of Canada's Worst Drivers. Posting a couple of episodes, they have few seasons running.

We need to have something like this in India also. Atleast just for the sake of appearing in TV, it might help people learn driving.
OMG! This is so hilarious If we had something like this in India, most of the country would be branded as India's Worst Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
After all this circus I proceed towards Marathahalli only to notice that he has switched off his siren and he's driving at a leisurely pace. Needless to say, my frustration knew no bounds.
If you've noted the number of the ambulance, please report it on the BTP FB page.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 15th November 2013 at 09:00.
Old 15th November 2013, 09:06   #5837
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
OMG! This is so hilarious If we had something like this in India, most of the country would be branded as India's Worst Driver!
True, We need a program like this one in our country too. But the problem is, we may have to open a separate channel itself to accommodate the huge population of bad drivers.
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 09:16   #5838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
If you've noted the number of the ambulance, please report it on the BTP FB page.
That was my first thought, but it was dark, and his lights above the number plate weren't working. Couldn't take a good enough photo. I hope there's a next time with this guy. I'll make sure to report to the BTP.
Old 15th November 2013, 12:12   #5839
BHPian

A homesick bhartiya on Interstate 70 westbound

Not too long ago, we were driving to Columbus, Ohio. Nice day, not too much traffic, everybody within speed limit - smokies were all around ! I am cruising along about 65-70 mph when I see a in my rear view mirror a white car coming at high speed in the passing lane.

OK , so what is the hurry ? He flies past me and then I notice his rear license plate. It reads ' HRN PLS '. Obviously, a very home sick Bhartiya in a flashy Cadillac !

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th November 2013 at 16:32. Reason: Fixing strange line breaks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:17   #5840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Additionally, he shouldn't be driving so close to the bus. God forbid but what happens if one of the passenger looses his grip? He should be keeping safe distance.
He had zoomed the cam, and I can say that because at times the cam went out of focus. I think there was atleast 2 cars distance between his car and the bus.

If one passenger falls off the bus, then that person is dead, simple. This was not the only car on road, there were other heavier vehicles too.

My heart was in my mouth while watching the video. It reminded of two of the famous Mumbai local train accidents that rocked the nation this year, where a chap doing some stunt fell off, and another video, where a man simply fell off an over crowded local train.

In the end, it is the passenger responsible for the fall. This guy was simply driving behind him. But overshooting the legal speed limit and touching 100 kmph, just to trail the bus, was simply insane. The camera-man should have left the bus go at whatever speed it was doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Rather than calling the bus driver idiot and blaming them i wonder why people put their own life at risk by trying to stand on footboard in overcrowded bus. Isnt it the fault of the persons who are standing there rather than the bus driver? Cant they take the next bus or worst they could even ask for lift if its such an emergency
Exactly !! you just echoed my thoughts.
But then, the bus driver was an idiot too, doing 100kmph with that kind of load on the bus !!

I would give a 10% benefit of doubt to the passengers too.
I don't know what area / district of TN this video was shot. The bus frequency could be less resulting in over-crowding, leaving no option for passengers, but to risk their lives.

Think of an analogy with Mumbai locals. Everyone hangs there, even though there are so so so many trains running every 1/2 min.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2013, 12:31   #5841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
In the end, it is the passenger responsible for the fall. This guy was simply driving behind him. But overshooting the legal speed limit and touching 100 kmph, just to trail the bus, was simply insane. The camera-man should have left the bus go at whatever speed it was doing.
It didn't appear to me that the car was tailing the bus just to shoot the video, and the speedo showed somewhere around 80kmph IIRC.

Quote:
I don't know what area / district of TN this video was shot. The bus frequency could be less resulting in over-crowding, leaving no option for passengers, but to risk their lives.
The video is shot in Coimbatore district, TN. The bus is headed to a place called Sulur where there's also an Airforce base among other things (The less said about the road manners of the inmates of the airforce base, the better).

There are frequent buses, but 8 o'clock in the morning is when you have a lot of students going to schools and colleges which are also aplenty in this area. Even if the buses are not crowded inside, many students prefer travelling on the footboard. This is endemic to many places in TN, I guess. Seen the same behaviour in Chennai as well
Old 15th November 2013, 12:58   #5842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara.ramli View Post
On a different note, what was the person who shot this doing? Driving and shooting at 'nearly 100 kph' as he claims?
Quote:
Cannot comment on whether he shot the video himself, or was someone else shooting !! But yes, if he was shooting himself, he was another idiot on the road, just like the bus.
this video was not shot by the driver, but instead by the passenger. at certain points it appears as if the car is very close to the bus, but in fact it is not. it appears so because the passenger who shot the video zoomed in on the bus.
Old 15th November 2013, 19:13   #5843
BHPian

Just came across this video on my fb wall.

http://vitaminl.tv/video/911?ref=fbs

A race at high speeds (200+ kmph) on a traffic infested Brazilian freeway between three morons - An Audi R8, a Ninja and a Suzuki. The amount of ego on show is absolutely staggering!!
TwentyDeewar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 00:31   #5844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyDeewar View Post

A race at high speeds (200+ kmph) on a traffic infested Brazilian freeway between three morons - An Audi R8, a Ninja and a Suzuki. The amount of ego on show is absolutely staggering!!
Absolutely insane !! This is how people land up in the Accidents thread.
One minor slip by a biker and it would have really turned into a messy pile up.

One thing to note, is the inability of a passenger to control the driver.
The lady was continuously begging to slow down and let the bikers go, but the driver paid no heed.

IIRC, there have been many instances in our Volvo buses where our fellow BHPians have faced anger from other passengers and the driver himself, for requesting to slow down and drive sensibly. I see that the passenger plays an important part in controlling the driving style of a driver.

Anyways, I was hoping for a crash video, but instead ended sweetly.
Really sportive of the bikers to give a thumbs up at the toll gate, indicating a healthy race.

OT: I didn't see any highway patrol or speed guns to challan the driver. Wasn't there a speed limit on that stretch ? Remains unanswered.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 04:26   #5845
BHPian

I just returned from the routine annual visit to Pune. As always, I managed to hijack a motorcycle from some cousin for the couple of weeks I was there. Pune is still very much a two-wheeler city as it always has been.

As always, I returned with thoughts on how driving and driving habits have deteriorated since the last visit to the city. I am tempted to open a thread called "GOOD Drivers - How do you spot 'em" after trying really hard to find good drivers on Pune roads in vain.

One gets a feeling of lost hope after seeing the sorry state of road manners in Pune.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 11:46   #5846
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
I just returned from the routine annual visit to Pune. As always, I managed to hijack a motorcycle from some cousin for the couple of weeks I was there. Pune is still very much a two-wheeler city as it always has been. As always, I returned with thoughts on how driving and driving habits have deteriorated since the last visit to the city. I am tempted to open a thread called "GOOD Drivers - How do you spot 'em" after trying really hard to find good drivers on Pune roads in vain. One gets a feeling of lost hope after seeing the sorry state of road manners in Pune.
Even I was thinking about the same thing. Every other person on the road tries some or the other thing to be a part of this thread. We really need a good drivers thread now :P OT- Apart from this one instance, where a red wagon-R with tbhp stickers on the pune Bangalore bypass road was creating nuisance and trouble for other road users.( I wasn't a member then, though had posted on the fb page) . I have found all tbhp stickered vehicles in pune driven by GOOD Drivers

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 16th November 2013 at 11:51.
Old 16th November 2013, 12:30   #5847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Just came across this video on my fb wall.

A race at high speeds (200+ kmph) on a traffic infested Brazilian freeway between...- An Audi R8, a Ninja and a Suzuki...
To be very honest, I kinda liked the video. I don't think anybody did any dangerous maneuver (putting others in danger), but a rather healthy race and acknowledging each other in a true spirit. I don't know about the fuss on the speed, if the roads & machines can handle it, why bother?!

Also if the biker is comfortable doing those speeds, let him do it. He didn't look like a moron to me; people who pay for these bikes would be knowing it's limits.

Edit:: Really loved the roar of the R8. It sounds so better than even music!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th November 2013 at 12:36.
Old 16th November 2013, 12:51   #5848
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday night on Sinhagad road around 9.00pm. While going to Nanded City, I spotted irritating white beam of HID headlamps in the rear view mirror and I heard incessant honking. I immediately understood that this person was one of thse exasperating individuals whose mind and legs cannot function in sync. So, I moved to the side and let him pass. It was a white Cruze brand new with aftermarket drl like LED's and chromed steel handles and borders. The car's Reg. No was MH 12 KJ 4800. He was driving and speeding like insane on the crowded Sinhagad road as if he owned the road. He broke some 2-3 signals near Santosh hall and narrowly missed mowing down many 2 wheeler drivers. Accelerating like F1 cars and braking hard every time like a moron. It was a miracle that he didn't kill anyone on the road. If you come across this white cruze, stay away from it. God forgive such creatures, for they know not what they are doing !!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 13:36   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be very honest, I kinda liked the video. I don't think anybody did any dangerous maneuver (putting others in danger), but a rather healthy race and acknowledging each other in a true spirit. I don't know about the fuss on the speed, if the roads & machines can handle it, why bother?!
Each one to his own I guess. I for one firmly believe that racing should be done only within the confines of racetracks, and not on the roads. I don't have a problem with driving fast, as long as you drive safe too. IMHO A good driver is one who doesn't only know his machine well, but also knows how to respect the limitations of other motorists on the road. One wrong maneuver, one nervous move by the hundreds of drivers on that road, and we could have been talking of a nasty pile-up here. What's that thing they say about hindsight?

Quote:
Absolutely insane !! This is how people land up in the Accidents thread.
One minor slip by a biker and it would have really turned into a messy pile up.

One thing to note, is the inability of a passenger to control the driver.
The lady was continuously begging to slow down and let the bikers go, but the driver paid no heed.
Absolutely
One thumb rule that I always follow is - if my co-passenger thinks I am going too fast or am driving like nuts, I probably am.
Old 17th November 2013, 14:09   #5850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyDeewar View Post

On the contrary, they seem to know what they are doing. They raced well within their machines' capability and their own skill. Take a look at the way one car moved aside to give way to the Audi. No one made any last minute lane changing unlike our highways. In our highway, this would have resulted in a disaster.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed