Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 21:47   #5881
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Today's Pune Mirror has an interesting story. Three guys took their SUV (Mahindra Scorpio) to cross a railway track through a non existent crossing and got stranded in middle. Meanwhile a railway engine approached and the trio ran away from the spot. Finally the Railway Police managed to clear the havoc.

Some excerpts from the article,

There was massive confusion when an empty SUV stranded on the railway track near Akurdi Railway Station forced an approaching engine to come to a halt on Tuesday around 2.50 pm.
The driver of the Mahindra Scorpio, in an attempt to cross over, drove the vehicle onto the tracks only to have its wheels stuck. Police said, seeing the engine approach rapidly, the three passengers of the SUV fled.
Following the incident, a large crowd had gathered at the spot forcing the cops to cordon the area. Railway Protection Force (RPF) then brought cranes and around 3.45 pm the SUV was finally brought off the tracks.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 10:21   #5882
Senior - BHPian

Here's the full video filled with every possible combination of bad driving there is!

Please ignore my rambling, I was a little pissed by the way everyone was driving and behaving there.

Last edited by sohail99 : 21st November 2013 at 10:22.
Old 21st November 2013, 12:56   #5883
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Here's the full video filled with every possible combination of bad driving there is! Please ignore my rambling, I was a little pissed by the way everyone was driving and behaving there.
A common case! @13:16, i expected another car jumping into your front, from left.

Last edited by bblost : 21st November 2013 at 13:36. Reason: removed embedded video.
Old 21st November 2013, 13:32   #5884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Here's the full video filled with every possible combination of bad driving there is!

Please ignore my rambling, I was a little pissed by the way everyone was driving and behaving there.
Isn't this a normal day in India? Bad planning, poor engineering, complete lack of any civic sense or courtesy in us and coupled with the lack of any common sense amongst the powers that be, what else can one expect.

A simple universal pre-paid RFID card can completely eliminate any choke points at any toll booth on our highways and save millions of US$ in oil/forex. But then the vested interests in India would not like any simplistic or efficient solutions.

Last edited by bblost : 21st November 2013 at 13:36. Reason: removed embedded video.
Old 21st November 2013, 16:15   #5885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
A simple universal pre-paid RFID card can completely eliminate any choke points at any toll booth on our highways and save millions of US$ in oil/forex. But then the vested interests in India would not like any simplistic or efficient solutions.
I think our authorities are planning to implement the centralized toll collection in coming years. Don't ask me when? But meanwhile they can do a very simple work out. Deploy few guys with hand held machine to collect toll from the jam packed queue and reduce the congestion at the booth. Hope this will help.
MaxTorque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 18:21   #5886
Senior - BHPian

This Punto driver was all over the road today morning. Left right forward backward, bullying his way through the traffic and honking unnecessarily.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20131121_101908.jpg
Old 21st November 2013, 19:05   #5887
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this really bad driver (indicab) - he approaches the roundabout/circle, wants to proceed straight but turns right to go around the circle in the wrong direction and then turns right again
A bus approached the junction to the left of the indicab but turned left so a possible collision was avoided, lucky cabbie!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-indicab.jpg
Old 21st November 2013, 20:35   #5888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I think our authorities are planning to implement the centralized toll collection in coming years. Don't ask me when? But meanwhile they can do a very simple work out. Deploy few guys with hand held machine to collect toll from the jam packed queue and reduce the congestion at the booth. Hope this will help.
This is a lot more efficient and cheaper. Infact, in the dobbaspet toll boot near bangalore, I have seen the guys do this multiple times, It does help getting through the toll a lot faster.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:58   #5889
BHPian

Today evening came across three policemen who we're driving their Tata Sumo in a irresponsible manner. I was travelling towards Mumbai on Old Mumbai-Pune Road. Near Pimpri, a Tata Sumo which was coming just opposite to the oncoming traffic. It was driven by a policeman in uniform and two of his colleagues were sitting in front seat. They might have missed an exit and they took the U-turn in the highway itself.
Old 22nd November 2013, 09:20   #5890
BHPian

Yesterday was a good day to test my patience.

1. On old Airport Road, I was driving on the rightmost lane. Outside KFC I hear piercing honks. Turned left to see a cab driver trying to squeeze in between me and a Bus on his left. As expected he started abusing me, saying Bus is on his left so I should move to right. Perhaps he meant I should jump the median and crash into incoming traffic on opposite lane and die? Dear yellow plate buffoon, if you think it is your right to get in between a car in proper lane and a Bus even though the space is shrinking, then you have severe deficiency of Iodine. I told him to shut up and stop, wait for your lane. As expected moron just zoomed at first opportunity. I hate yellow plate guys :(.

2. In the evening there was a lady driving a Red i10 on PB registration who jumped queue to get ahead breaking lane on a 2 way narrow lane. I had to honk to ensure that she doesn't jump on my lane. Oh the horror of driving alongside errant drivers.

3. Another joke, I am following a car which keeps on getting slow. I honk, to let the guy know "what are you doing in rightmost lane?". No response, finally after 2 mins I get side. While I cross the driver, I can see someone teaching him how to drive. Are you kidding me? At peak hour at 7 PM, without a L sign and breaking lane rules. Wow, just wow, it tells me what kind of driver he will be one fine day.

4. I get onto Dr Muni Reddy road from ORR to get home fast. Darn, I am blocked on that 2 lane road by none other than a KSRTC Volvo. OMG, was he a cab driver in previous life? Hopeless. I wish I had dashcam, would have reported him to BMTC.

5. I move ahead and I can see people breaking lanes on such a narrow road. Fine, that is life, but one Getz guys takes the cake. He totally blocked the last lane. Means now there are 3 lanes, none for people going towards Hoodi circle. Darn, the guy ahead of me had to cross by getting down from shoulder of the road. He was visibly upset, rolled his window down and payed respects to Getz guy's parents. I was more upset, I rolled down my window and said - " What kind of lane is this man, are you an idiot? ". The guy had no remorse, kept looking ahead nonchalantly. How can people do this kind of tomfoolery is beyond me. Fine people do mistakes, where is the apology?

There I got that off my chest, I hope I ll be saner today

Last edited by bblost : 22nd November 2013 at 09:39. Reason: NO foul language. Please refer forum rules.
Old 22nd November 2013, 12:49   #5891
Senior - BHPian

I am putting todays episode under this thread as I think the fellow falls under the bad driver category.

On old airport road when coming from Marathalli we get the L&T Infotech signal. The road is quite wide hence, we usually see 4 lines of cars, I am on the left most lane to take the left towards Yemalur Road. As the signal turned green my line starts to move ahead but I see the line on my right not moving. A little ahead a Fortuner is just standing still, I thought the car has broken down but as I cross the SUV I see a Vista standing still and inside a person sitting motionless. I feared the worst and stopped on his left but could not knock on his window as it was far but a 2 wheeler guy gets down and knocks on his window, to everyone's surprise the fellow was asleep. He quickly got up put the car in gear and zoomed off. The car was not a taxi but a well dressed gentleman was sitting inside.

Now I fear the road users on his route as I am sure he would be driving in sleep mode. The signal was red for probably 2 minutes.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:01   #5892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
to everyone's surprise the fellow was asleep
This is the epitome of bad driver. No, rather a murderer on the streets !!

I will not accept any explanation whatsoever from the driver for falling asleep at a signal. I give a damn about how his day went, how stressed he was, how long he has been driving.

Once on road, he has to be alert at any cost. If he was stressed, he should have stopped at a tea shop, ate some pan masala, or did something to waive off the sleep. But not acceptable to fall asleep at a signal.

I drive for 4 hours in super peak traffic, apart from spending 10 hours at work. Even I do feel sleepy at the end of the day. When I can't manage any further, I stop by at a tea shop, or call up someone and speak, while the car is stationary. I also open up the windows to let some polluted smelly smoke/air come in and make me uncomfortable so that I get rid of the comfort.

One more thing to all friends. Never let your AC in recirculation mode always. If possible toggle between fresh air and recirculation mode, or may be open up the windows for some time.
I have felt that if the AC is on for a longer time, in re-circulation mode, it causes drowsiness.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:08   #5893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
This is the epitome of bad driver. No, rather a murderer on the streets !!

One more thing to all friends. Never let your AC in recirculation mode always. If possible toggle between fresh air and recirculation mode, or may be open up the windows for some time.
I have felt that if the AC is on for a longer time, in re-circulation mode, it causes drowsiness.
Well this happened today morning at 10.30AM so unless he had night shift or some party, he should have been fresh but we dont know whats the background, but yes he should have stopped on the side and got his bearings right before driving off. Plus come to think of it he had all the windows rolled up so most probably the ac was on.
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:30   #5894
Distinguished - BHPian

Red light signals in Chennai sometimes had the word 'Relax' on them. I miss that! But going to sleep might be a bit too much relaxation!
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:10   #5895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Red light signals in Chennai sometimes had the word 'Relax' on them. I miss that! But going to sleep might be a bit too much relaxation!
. Talk about all the positives one needs to implement in their life. When he was told to be the same "everywhere", i guess that must have struck a chord in this guy's mind. lol.
Probably a guy seeking to rest his senses in his never ending quest for nirvana, or so he thought.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 22nd November 2013 at 15:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks