Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 09:25   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Even govt. state transport bus drivers can be ruthless at times!

Attachment 1260500

Source: Facebook

The caption reads: Would turning on the lights increase the width of the road, you scoundrel!
And look at where that lorry is snailing away.
After the 'turn abruptly without signalling' category, it is these kind of drivers, who force others to take risks, if they have to keep going.

It is not uncommon in Kerala roads, to see a long line of slow moving traffic held behind an auto riding with its front wheel aligned to the center lane marker.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:49   #6302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Why do people have their headlights on HIGH when they have stopped on the side of the road?
Yeah, a lot of idiots do that. And also when waiting at intersections or signals.

Little they realize the oncoming traffic cannot see the indicator when the high beam is on. Most cars have indicators inside the headlight cluster and the fender. A blinding headlight is all it takes to wash them out. Cars with blinkers on ORVM is a lesser evil in that regard.

Another new fad in KL is flashing the headlight continuously when overtaking on two lane roads without a median. These idiots will constantly switch between low and high beam at the oncoming traffic during the overtaking move. Its not a single flash, its like those very fast Chinese blinkers.

Earlier, it used to the taxi drivers and two wheeler, now its being picked up by private car owners as well. It leaves the other driver completely dazed.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:55   #6303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal
It is not uncommon in Kerala roads, to see a long line of slow moving traffic held behind an auto riding with its front wheel aligned to the center lane marker.
Been there done that. Infact we (me and friends) have even made a theory that for every traffic jam, or slow moving traffic there would be a Nayakan (Hero) who is the root cause of the whole mess. I am yet to be lucky to be piloted by an auto rickshaw at slow speed. For me after the L&T bye pass ends (towards Kerala), slow trucks and JCBs, Small cranes etc. are the "Heroes".

Also add to this the classic scene, seen on even the tolled highways. An APE goods carrier on the extreme left, a truck going at 20kmph on the middle lane, and another truck going at 22kmph trying to over take the other. This is generally followed by a long queue of cars.

BTW, I have noticed a trend amongst interstate buses. They keep their right indicators constantly on. And generally they would have these indicators on the side of the bus body itself. This gets me really confused - is the bus planning to take a right turn, or what is he trying to tell me?
Old 16th July 2014, 14:10   #6304
Senior - BHPian

Folks! I am posting 2 videos here shot by me on 2 of the busiest crossing in Noida. One is the NTPC crossing next to RTO office and the 2nd one is the Spice Mall crossing near Sector 21 and 25. See the bunch of bad drivers in both.

I fail to understand the logic behind risking your life for just a few seconds. These people call themselves as educated and civilized but seeing this I really doubt. Even if 1 mishap occurs god forbid then who will be on the wrong side?

Video 1 (NTPC Crossing) Sorry the music was on.

Video 2 (Spice Mall Crossing)

Thanks.
Old 16th July 2014, 15:00   #6305
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1405502864.733822.jpgBad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1405502878.183427.jpg
Followed you today from Chandan Nagar to Viman Nagar signal but was utterly disappointed to see that you were busy on your phone all the time.
At least the people having team-bhp stickers on their ride should refrain from breaking traffic rules.

Friendly advice to all bhpians: If you can't stop yourself, then take those stickers off.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by nemesis86 : 16th July 2014 at 15:02.
Old 16th July 2014, 17:42   #6306
Senior - BHPian

to my knowledge the service lane at HSR layout, leading up the Hosur road, is a one-way street. encountered this fella this morning driving in the wrong direction in that very service lane, flashing his headlights demanding to be given the right of way.

quick question - was i wrong in blocking him or was he wrong in driving in the wrong direction?
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 18:04   #6307
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad driver and how can we ignore our dear cabbie from this?
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-cabbie.jpg
Look at that darn old school Yellow stalk used in Horns of Heavy vehicles retrofitted in this cab right below the driver side AC Vent.

Now you know how cabbies often rest their elbows with the windows rolled down and merrily continue to honk even while taking turns or changing gears or when doing nothing as well.

This set-up makes his life easy to honk even when his right hand is resting!

And then our poor traffic police works hard pasting stickers on private cars over an initiative called "No Honking Day" every Monday in Bangalore.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th July 2014 at 18:06.
Old 16th July 2014, 18:34   #6308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
to my knowledge the service lane at HSR layout, leading up the Hosur road, is a one-way street. encountered this fella this morning driving in the wrong direction in that very service lane, flashing his headlights demanding to be given the right of way.

quick question - was i wrong in blocking him or was he wrong in driving in the wrong direction?
At least that was a car! Many a time i have seen Volvos coming from that side so they can take a U turn to the left and join the main road at the signal. They would drive down the wrong way (our right side), with headlights on, and wait at the other side (our left side) of the road to take the U turn.

PS: Haven't noticed any signboard showing it as a one-way though.

Last edited by ZENnist : 16th July 2014 at 18:43. Reason: Added PS
Old 16th July 2014, 18:35   #6309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You did the right thing if there was a direction restriction on that road. Infact you should have had a Diesel SUV with a high grade steel bull bars and ram him back to where he came from .

But, just a quick doubt. The service roads usually does'nt have direction restrictions right? I am not sure of the HSR-Hosur road at all and was under the impression that a service road can be used in either direction if no one way sign is put up. Am I wrong on that?
Old 16th July 2014, 18:52   #6310
BANNED

Quote:
AFAIK, all service lanes have no rules for direction. I have no idea how the HSR one works but here it is allowed to used any side ONLY on the service roads.

Anurag.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:05   #6311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I can recollect this is one way. Remember seeing the one way board near the hump where the vehicles turn left into the service lane. Board or no board, morons drive the way they want. These are educated guys but still. Rules? what Rules?
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 21:24   #6312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Folks! I am posting 2 videos here shot by me on 2 of the busiest crossing in Noida. One is the NTPC crossing next to RTO office and the 2nd one is the Spice Mall crossing near Sector 21 and 25. See the bunch of bad drivers in both.

Thanks.
Apart from a few signal jumpers, that's pretty organised. You should take a video at the crossing between sector 34 and 51 near the nallah. The straight road is an arterial road passing through Noida city centre metro station. So traffic is normally heavy. There is a traffic signal, which is most often ignored.

All three curved arrows show how people take short cuts by driving on the wrong side. There is U turn provision along the straight road on both sides of this crossing not far from it.

The green arrow is people lining up on the wrong side waiting for traffic light to turn green, in the process blocking people who are about to enter this road.

All in all a very chaotic intersection.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image.jpg  

Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 21:45   #6313
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With the kind of morons we have running loose on our streets, it's good to ask such questions just to keep yourself sane
Had an experience couple of days ago and I did the same to save myself from useless stress - more details here
Old 16th July 2014, 21:50   #6314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I fail to understand the logic behind risking your life for just a few seconds. These people call themselves as educated and civilized but seeing this I really doubt. Even if 1 mishap occurs god forbid then who will be on the wrong side?
To drive with split-second-from-death timing and survive must be a huge adrenaline buzz --- but my theory is that it is not, because most of those people do not even know what they are doing. The drive as if they are walking. They cut across another vehicle as thoughtlessly as they would, on foot, cut across another pedestrian to enter a shop.

The only way those people will learn is for their split-second luck (and accommodation by other drivers who keep them alive) to run out and, that day, it might be too late.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 22:03   #6315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Been there, done that too. This becomes increasingly frustrating on a two lane way. Other than a rickshaw, the list includes those people who chat on cell phones merrily whilst driving away at a snail's pace, holding up a traffic queue behind, whilst being totally oblivious to whatever is going on in the RVMs.

Speeding non loaded trucks pose an another problem. They are too slow for us to stay behind and fast enough to make an overtaking move particularly difficult.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks