Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 18:31   #6346
JLS
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
-------

P.S: Yes, I know that, having a kid on the scooter is immediately ground for being a bad driver on the forum, with people suggesting why they can't take a cab or auto or PTS or buy a Nano.
But there are other factors like affordability, locally acceptable societal mores etc that could explain why we see this here. Not to mention the fact that many of us here have ourselves either been the kid on the bike long ago or would have atleast rarely taken our kids on one (inspite of owning a car).
I would still classify this person as a bad driver, as he made a rather poor choice of making a kid sit on fuel tank. Any small jump/a sharp braking and kid would be on road.
Even if, it is a question of convinience/effordability and I have to carry kid as a third passanger on a two wheeler, I would put kid between driver and pillion. Much safer to have kid squeezed between two, only slightly less convinient.

My wife had a habit of letting kids stand in front (on Activa), and kids also enjoyed it much more rather than seating in back. BUT, I forced them to stop and now atleast while I am watching, kids can not stand in front.
Regards,
JLS
JLS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 22:25   #6347
Distinguished - BHPian

Good driving is hard to spot, because it doesn't stand out. The good drive is a boring drive, an uneventful drive.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 13:24   #6348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good driving is hard to spot, because it doesn't stand out. The good drive is a boring drive, an uneventful drive.
True. The kind of driving that would put your grandfather (in the passenger seat) to sleep irrespective of road and traffic conditions.
Old 25th July 2014, 15:03   #6349
BHPian

Good public awareness video by Karnataka State Police against people (Read:idiots) who stop their vehicles on zebra crossing:

lazybrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:22   #6350
BHPian

Yesterday night while coming from Tumkur to Bangalore, I came across a White/Silver i20 with all the TBHP stickers (which are part of sticker kit) pasted on hatch.

Registration number: TN 07 -- 0088

If you are reading this, please dont drive with side mirrors folded.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:27   #6351
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

Registration number: TN 07 -- 0088

If you are reading this, please dont drive with side mirrors folded.
Any specific reason for you saying not to drive with the ORVM closed?

There are many drivers I know who drive safely with their ORVM.

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 11:43   #6352
BHPian

Drivers who drive safely with the ORVMS closed? Safe for whom? The driver and those whom he manages to see with his eyes and IRVM. But definitely not for those in his blind spots. How does he drive safe and change lanes with his ORVMs closed? As far as I am concernd people without ORVMS or with non functioning ORVMS are to be given a wide berth. For they see only 60% of what I see on the road.
Ramon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:54   #6353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any specific reason for you saying not to drive with the ORVM closed?

There are many drivers I know who drive safely with their ORVM.

Anurag.
Umm.. Was that a typo?

And anyway, how are you ever going to see if someone is on your right or left? Plus the blind spots? OVRMs are there for a reason, the reason is not to keep them folded.
Lets just for an example say - You need to change lanes to overtake, so you put your right indicator on then look if some else is going to overtake you first and then overtake the guy in front.
Going by your logic, one would put the indicators and simply overtake him.

I do not think it sounds good eh?
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 12:40   #6354
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Drivers who drive safely with the ORVMS closed? Safe for whom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And anyway, how are you ever going to see if someone is on your right or left? Plus the blind spots? OVRMs are there for a reason, the reason is not to keep them folded.

I do not think it sounds good eh?
Yes, I have seen many who do drive without ORVM and FYI olden generation cars mostly had IRVM and Right ORVM. At that time no left ORVM was there so driving was not safe at those times?

I have seen many who drive like maniacs with their ORVM open but hardly use it. What about them?

It boils down to the driver and his talent to manage the drive. No specific rule is mentioned to have the ORVM open and to use.

No offence to both of you. Just my opinion.

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 13:12   #6355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I have seen many who do drive without ORVM and FYI olden generation cars mostly had IRVM and Right ORVM. At that time no left ORVM was there so driving was not safe at those times?

I have seen many who drive like maniacs with their ORVM open but hardly use it. What about them?

It boils down to the driver and his talent to manage the drive. No specific rule is mentioned to have the ORVM open and to use.

No offence to both of you. Just my opinion.

Anurag.
Rule. Really?
If we BHPians will talk like this what will happen to general public who aren't so aware about safety features. There is a reason ORVM are given in a car cos they increase visibility while overtaking or changing lanes which is no way safely possible only with IRVM no matter how experienced and talented is any driver.

Of course the choice is up to an individual to use this or not but I will recommend to always use it. It's not just about the guy driving the car but also the people he will hit in case he is not using the ORVM and couldn't see someone coming from the side. Specially the bikers who have a habit of creeping on you out of nowhere.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 13:22   #6356
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Rule. Really?
If we BHPians will talk like this what will happen to general public who aren't so aware about safety features. There is a reason ORVM are given in a car cos they increase visibility while overtaking or changing lanes which is no way safely possible only with IRVM no matter how experienced and talented is any driver.
I am NOT saying that it is compulsory and I am NOT advocating that ORVM must be used. I am only saying it is NOT compulsory and drivers must be fined who chose not to drive with the ORVM.

I am myself used to ORVM and CANNOT drive without them.

I cannot drag the topic further and in case any of you feel I am wrong then sincere apologies. Thanks guys.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th July 2014 at 13:31.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:05   #6357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Relative safety.

Driving became safer with the advent of ORVM, and one more step safer when they became usual on both sides.

A good driver uses all their mirrors, and one who does not is less good, and less safe.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:09   #6358
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Relative safety.

Driving became safer with the advent of ORVM, and one more step safer when they became usual on both sides.

A good driver uses all their mirrors, and one who does not is less good, and less safe.
Spot-on. This is what I wanted to convey. Thank you sir. Many read between lines and jump the gun.

I need the ORVM (both) plus the IRVM to survive on our roads.

Some choose to drive with the mirrors and some don't. It is just opinion and CANNOT be forced upon. Right?!

Anurag.
Old 28th July 2014, 15:17   #6359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... FYI olden generation cars mostly had IRVM and Right ORVM. At that time no left ORVM was there so driving was not safe at those times?
Well, older gen cars didn't have lot many other things too. Plus the vehicular density used to be a lot less. Not like today's streets that you need as many eyes as possible, front, back and sides!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 15:32   #6360
BHPian

Quote:
I am NOT saying that it is compulsory and I am NOT advocating that ORVM must be used. I am only saying it is NOT compulsory and drivers must be fined who chose not to drive with the ORVM.
Some contradiction there. A couple of 'NOT's seem misplaced.

Quote:
I am myself used to ORVM and CANNOT drive without them.

I cannot drag the topic further and in case any of you feel I am wrong then sincere apologies.
By yelling out a few words, you have made it quite clear that it doesn't matter much, what others feel about your debatable notion on usage of ORVM.

ORVMs are essential and should be used by everyone, and as responsible enthusiasts, we all should educated the lesser informed people around us about its importance. Defending an incorrect practice (driving with ORVMs folded) is the last thing anyone one among us should do. Personal choice has been used as an argument in many incorrect practices (e.g. driving without Helmet/seat-belts, etc) let's not add ORVM to that list.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed