Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 09:51   #6376
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Good public awareness video by Karnataka State Police against people (Read:idiots) who stop their vehicles on zebra crossing:
Nice to see a campaign for stopping at the stop lines, I thought this were soon becoming cosmetic lines on the road.

Noticed the below motorcyclist a few days back. What is projecting below his arms is the top part of an LPG cylinder resting on the petrol tank!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img2014061700185.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2014, 11:40   #6377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
I no longer need to do the "shoulder check" to see if there is any vehicle is in "blind spot".
Thanks for the video. Anywhere in the world, that is the correct way of setting up ORVMs. I instruct the same.

However, setting up the ORVMs this way reduces, but does not eliminate blind spots completely, and a 'shoulder check' or 'head check' (i.e. turning your head and looking over your shoulder for a very quick glance through the side windows in the direction you want to move your vehicle) is still essential for safety (in fact, a shoulder check / head check is mandatory in many countries before you even pass your driving licence test).

You WILL miss a small vehicle, e.g. a motorcycle, riding next to you, even if you set up the mirrors as described in the video.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:50   #6378
Senior - BHPian

Shoulder check IS important, specially in places like Autobahns where speed plays a huge role.

In Germany, I can guarantee (100%), you will fail your driving test, no matter how well you drive, if you do not do the 'Schulterblick' (shoulder check). After starting to drive here in Germany, I am so used to the shoulder check, that I even do it when I change lanes while walking !

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 3rd August 2014 at 13:00.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 22:36   #6379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes, I have seen many who do drive without ORVM and FYI olden generation cars mostly had IRVM and Right ORVM. At that time no left ORVM was there so driving was not safe at those times?

I have seen many who drive like maniacs with their ORVM open but hardly use it. What about them?

It boils down to the driver and his talent to manage the drive. No specific rule is mentioned to have the ORVM open and to use.

No offence to both of you. Just my opinion.

Anurag.
Buddy, you are right in saying some (actually quite a few) older generation cars didn't even have a LHS ORVM and driving was still safe (or shall I say better than what it is these days) however there are reasons for that.
There were fewer cars on the road and hence lesser accidents. These days we see some really badly maintained cars and the drivers of such cars aren't any better skilled than the condition of the car when it comes to driving.

And for lack of LHS ORVM, it has to do with the govt or regulations. These things were not standard to keep the costs down and because the regulation was not there Automobile manufacturers exploited the situation. Not just cars but bikes and scooters used to have only RHS rear view mirrors.

Funny enough, BMW with all the bells & whistles had failed to pass the homologation test as it didnot have a space for spare tyre as the car had RFTs (Run Flast Tyres) and the regulation was to have a provision for back up tyre in India, however, this was changed later on.
I read it in the ACI long ago.
Old 4th August 2014, 08:07   #6380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Buddy, you are right in saying some (actually quite a few) older generation cars didn't even have a LHS ORVM and driving was still safe (or shall I say better than what it is these days) however there are reasons for that.
There were fewer cars on the road and hence lesser accidents. These days we see some really badly maintained cars and the drivers of such cars aren't any better skilled than the condition of the car when it comes to driving..
To add further, India was full of 2-lane highways when IRVM and right side ORVM was made mandatory. Since there were no multiple lanes, there was no concept of changing lanes. No one would overtake from left, as the roads were narrow enough. If you needed to turn left, all you needed was to use your right hand to signal it.

Of course, people back then were far more patient!
Old 4th August 2014, 08:32   #6381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
FYI olden generation cars mostly had IRVM and Right ORVM. At that time no left ORVM was there so driving was not safe at those times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • There were not much 4 lane roads then
  • There were no morons who would stick to the rightmost lane and poorer morons left with no choice but overtake from left
  • There were no banks that so easily provided one a car/Bike loan then
  • There were no rapid increase in traffic density on our roads then like we see today
To add further to what Parag has said, wasn't driving a whole lot different, then? There were no ORVM's on either sides on most cars, maybe just the IRVM.

But, there were no air-bags, ABS either. Not even disc brakes or tubeless tires. The cars were heavier & had thicker sheet metal, but were they safer?

We have evolved every where, you name it. Cars & its related safety equipment have too and we have to move with the times

And the people who drive with ORVM close, haven't driven with ORVM open. Those who have, notice a sea of difference. It aids not just while driving, but while parking as well. And in congested traffic. You can spot the entire car, the wheel arch (most vulnerable)

I too was a victim of not having ORVM in my Motorcycle way back then. Read that it is imperative & safer. Installed & have never looked back since.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 08:33   #6382
BHPian

I have had problems with bikers who ride on high beam and then use turn indicators just about at the last moment making their next move barely visible to the oncoming traffic. How I wish there was an element in design whereby headlights would go to dipper mode when turn indicators are switched on!

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 09:41. Reason: As requested
avingodb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:23   #6383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
These days we see some really badly maintained cars and the drivers of such cars aren't any better skilled than the condition of the car when it comes to driving.
On saturday we were driving parallel to a Maruti Esteem for a fair amount of time. What is odd about this car is that even on a straight road and car running straight, the steering wheel was always titled, if you know what I mean. We spend good money for the best computerised wheel alignment, but for this guy it doesn't matter.
Old 4th August 2014, 18:19   #6384
BHPian

I almost rear-ended this cab today when he abruptly braked while slowing to halt at a signal. That's when I noticed he didn't have any ORVMs !!
Not only that but it seems this cab doesn't use them (it's not a case of broken / damaged ORVM). Lesson learned to look out for such guys in front.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00361.jpg
Old 4th August 2014, 20:06   #6385
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
when he abruptly braked while slowing to halt at a signal.
How could one abruptly brake, if one is slowing to halt? How come you rear ended him, if he was slowing to halt at signal?

I am not sure how it is related to lack of ORVM on his vehicle?

Regards,
JLS
Old 4th August 2014, 20:30   #6386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
How could one abruptly brake, if one is slowing to halt? How come you rear ended him, if he was slowing to halt at signal?

I am not sure how it is related to lack of ORVM on his vehicle?
He was slowing down and then suddenly pushed hard on the brake without any particular cause so my assumption that he was good for another 10 metres based on the immediately preceding speed of deceleration did not hold and I almost rear-ended him. Maybe if he had an ORVM and saw a vehicle behind he would not have executed the halt so suddenly.
Old 4th August 2014, 20:47   #6387
BHPian

Quote:
another 10 metres
Expecting him to move further during a red signal? What else was he supposed to do other than braking at a red signal? It seems you were at fault by going very close to him, almost like tailgating.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:22   #6388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Expecting him to move further during a red signal? What else was he supposed to do other than braking at a red signal? It seems you were at fault by going very close to him, almost like tailgating.
Well, I'm sorry to say this but it seems you've not seen the photo closely or understood my earlier posts. If you look at it again, you might notice that I'm easing into the lane to his immediate right when he stops. Also, as I mentioned earlier there's another 10 metres to go before the halt is expected. My problem is with a sudden stop before the halt / pedestrian crossing (which though not marked can be made out by the woman who's crossing about 25m in front). Please understand I'm not expecting a favour from the cabbie in taking his vehicle 10m more. Lastly, stopping at a signal requires aligning without wasting road space and one obviously would have maneuver closer to other vehicles than would be the norm while driving ordinarily. If that's your understanding of tailgating, let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited by Kumar R : 4th August 2014 at 21:24.
Old 4th August 2014, 21:51   #6389
BHPian

Quote:
let's just agree to disagree.
I wonder why people predict what other driver "should" do based on his observations and making decisions based on those assumptions. If the other driver has to do anything different, its funny to see people blaming him not to do as per the other's expectation. Its the sad state of our "so called" drivers in India and almost all the rear ending cases are like this. When will people understand this?

The above is a classic example expecting the cab driver to do as per OP's observation on the road and the cab driver had to stop (what ever be the reason, its only known to him) and he is being blamed for not doing as per OP's expectation forgetting that he has not done his part proper by not going close to any vehicle so that he gets proper time to respond for any unexpected situation, this is the primary lesson one has to learn in defensive driving, "Expect \ Anticipate the Unexpected and prepare early"

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 4th August 2014 at 21:57.
::CMS:: is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 22:32   #6390
BHPian

Very well said. If you rear end someone its your fault, unless the other vehicle rolls back. The vehicle in front may brake abruptly for anything. It could be just for fun or vehicle break down or someone jumps right in front his vehicle to commit suicide. There is no way to predict unless you are sitting in that car.

What we need to remember is, we can not control the car in front but we can control the controllable which is our own car.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks