Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2014, 11:43   #6406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auswechseln View Post
This reminded me. Now-a-days a lot of two-wheelers remove their ORVMs. I never understood why. I asked one of my friend who did the same to his Splendor (He fixed it again later on). He says:

"It ruins the look of the bike".

This is the case with many bikes. Mainly Pulsars, Apaches, Dukes and the like. Then they change lanes like it's nobody's business.
Tell me about it and its so painful to keep honking at them to remind them someone is behind since they are blinded (not blind spot issue ). I mean they have paid for those mirrors in the initial price of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Went over the few posts where this 2-page discussion started, especially the pic that was posted. It looks like a big junction, but the odd thing is that there is no Stop Line (or a pedestrian-crossing) marking seen anywhere, as would be expected at such junctions.

Lack of a defined StopLine would lead to individual users "deciding" where to stop for a red-light. Kumar might be used to stopping a little ahead, the cabbie might think that he needs to come to a stop earlier. Basically everyone follows their own judgement, which is an ideal situation for chaos. So while Kumar was expecting the cabbie to stop further ahead, the cabbie braked abruptly where he thought he needs to stop. This looks more like an issue due to lack of traffic-markings than anything else.
Yeah, I have been silently reading the last 2-3 pages and it all boils down to "Chaos Theory"

By the way in Bangalore we have a quite a few crossings without any lines so its the front guys decision where he wants to stop. Ideally since we are approaching a crossing the speed should be less and also not tailgating someone. Dont take my words and dissect them was speaking to supremeBaleno
Old 6th August 2014, 12:34   #6407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This reminded me. Now-a-days a lot of two-wheelers remove their ORVMs. I never understood why. I asked one of my friend who did the same to his Splendor (He fixed it again later on). He says:

"It ruins the look of the bike".

This is the case with many bikes. Mainly Pulsars, Apaches, Dukes and the like. Then they change lanes like it's nobody's business.
That is old fact. The latest fad, owing to evolution of moronic culture, is to remove all fairings, instrument cluster and the headlamps of bikes. I don't know if the virus has spread to other cities, but in ours, it is the latest style statement. One buys a bike for 80-90K, strips it naked, removes instrument cluster (don't know how they calculate the service interval without odometer) and remove the headlamps as if they are creatures meant to see in dark.

What else do you call irresponsible riding?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 00:21   #6408
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
removes instrument cluster (don't know how they calculate the service interval without odometer) and remove the headlamps as if they are creatures meant to see in dark.
Lol. You are worried about service interval, eh?!

I thought headlights were more important.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 01:28   #6409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
... ... while Kumar was expecting the cabbie to stop further ahead, the cabbie braked abruptly where he thought he needs to stop. This looks more like an issue due to lack of traffic-markings than anything else.
It wasn't actually an issue at all, but gave rise to a what-if conversation.

The biggest more-than-anything-else is, guess what: giving more distance.

It is not hard (excepting, of course, that if one gives enough, some other idiot fills it up) so where's the problem with taking it on board? Give room for stuff to happen, for the unexpected, assume as little as possible. This is a part of the art of good driving, that we ought to be striving for, not arguing about.
Old 7th August 2014, 01:33   #6410
BHPian

Quote:
This reminded me. Now-a-days a lot of two-wheelers remove their ORVMs. I never understood why.
While I am proud to say that I had both the ORVMs on ALL my two-wheelers starting from TVS-Champ to Royal Enfield Bullet. Its so helpful to quickly glance as to who is coming behind you and do the maneuver in the traffic.

Following are some of the reasons my friends tell for NOT having the ORVMs

1. It gets knocked off by other two wheelers or bigger vehicles
2. Its just a two-wheeler, cant you see what is around / behind you (of course, not)
3. Very difficult to bend the vehicle underneath the railway crossing when it is closed
4. It keeps hitting "pedestrians" when rode through busy market streets
5. "Youth" dont need those, only "old" people use that

I am okay to be seen as "old" rather than "late Mr.xxx"
balajird is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 06:18   #6411
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another type of bad drivers are those who drive extremely slowly on the ramps going up on multi-level car parks
I see this happen at the tech park where I work. The ramps are circular and if you're stuck behind one of these guys, it becomes an ordeal to get to upper levels, I need to go up to 7th! This is really dangerous for everyone and these guys don't even realize it.
To escape such guys I get onto some other level on the way, wait a couple of minutes and then get back to give the slow-mo guy enough time to reach his destination.
To add to this, I sometimes encounter wildlife on the down ramp - these guys walk down the ramp (are they thinking it's a ramp for a fashion show? ) and the look on their faces is one like "what the hell are you doin here with that car of yours ?"! Oh by the way, the car park has stairs and elevators but you know walking is healthier.

Last edited by NPV : 7th August 2014 at 06:23.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 08:22   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another type of bad drivers are those who drive extremely slowly on the ramps going up on multi-level car parks
I see this happen at the tech park where I work. The ramps are circular and if you're stuck behind one of these guys, it becomes an ordeal to get to upper levels, I need to go up to 7th! This is really dangerous for everyone and these guys don't even realize it.
To escape such guys I get onto some other level on the way, wait a couple of minutes and then get back to give the slow-mo guy enough time to reach his destination.
To add to this, I sometimes encounter wildlife on the down ramp - these guys walk down the ramp (are they thinking it's a ramp for a fashion show? ) and the look on their faces is one like "what the hell are you doin here with that car of yours ?"! Oh by the way, the car park has stairs and elevators but you know walking is healthier.
He he he!!! Very much True NPV... Even I have experienced the same this in my office while parking my car in Multi-level car parking. People would be walking on the ramp as if it has been built for walking not for cars to go. In the same time security guards also be using their whistles for nothing. Not sure what will they do by whistling for no reason (Probably just for distracting our concentration on driving).
Old 7th August 2014, 10:32   #6413
BHPian

I am not sure if this is the correct topic for this or not.

This article in from today's newspaper (Times of India) and I am really glad to see this article.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...07082014002042

Its a good thing they started the e-Challan very silently. This is sure going to go a long way to help curb dangerous driving practices.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 10:32   #6414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetbadri View Post
He he he!!! Very much True NPV... Even I have experienced the same this in my office while parking my car in Multi-level car parking. People would be walking on the ramp as if it has been built for walking not for cars to go. In the same time security guards also be using their whistles for nothing. Not sure what will they do by whistling for no reason (Probably just for distracting our concentration on driving).
We had the same issue at the MS Office in EGL and they issued a circular to everyone, pasting the warning sign on the walls of the parking lot, I did see people following it and did not find anyone walking on the ramp post the circular.

Bad driver Update

People traveling on the Passport Office road towards Viveknagar and Richmond road, please be wary of a Blue Hyundai Eon Magna driven by a mad lady (No Offence to any lady drivers but this one gets my goat). She drives only on the left and loves cutting across people when there are obstacles on her side without even waiting or seeing the other lane.

Today it so happened that a Polo that was behind me got its wing mirrors almost swiped off because this lady who came over bouncing from the left side (which has been dug up and refilled) saw a stationary van on her side, and as usual she just put the indicator for the right and turned the steering wheel

The Polo driver was too surprised I think because I could see in the rear view both of the cars stand still for half a minute.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 11:02   #6415
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
This article in from today's newspaper (Times of India) and I am really glad to see this article.

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...07082014002042

Its a good thing they started the e-Challan very silently. This is sure going to go a long way to help curb dangerous driving practices.
Hope we get something like this for Bangalore, we have way too many bad drivers but I know I'm just dreaming.

This morning at 7:50am there were more than 7/8 lanes of vehicles all trying to get onto the 2 lanes beside the KR Puram hanging bridge!
Even if one wants to follow lane discipline it is impossible in this kind of melee and you will just risk your life and car.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 11:53   #6416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope we get something like this for Bangalore, we have way too many bad drivers but I know I'm just dreaming.
Bangalore has a slightly advanced version. The BTP notes down the violation and updates the database. The motorist has the option to search for any violations and pay the fines online. What's missing is the process of sending the challan through post.

Kerala traffic police used to send challans for speeding on the monitored sections of NH-47, through post. The present state of this system is unknown.
Old 7th August 2014, 12:26   #6417
BHPian

Quote:
That is old fact. The latest fad, owing to evolution of moronic culture, is to remove all fairings, instrument cluster and the headlamps of bikes. I don't know if the virus has spread to other cities, but in ours, it is the latest style statement. One buys a bike for 80-90K, strips it naked, removes instrument cluster (don't know how they calculate the service interval without odometer) and remove the headlamps as if they are creatures meant to see in dark.

What else do you call irresponsible riding?
I don't think this has yet started in Bangalore.

These people have the audacity to suddenly change lanes without even looking back. They assume that the guy behind will look out for them. Only when some tanker/truck that won't be able to control their speed and plough into them, would they realize.

Quote:
"Youth" dont need those, only "old" people use that
This is one of the very common excuse.

The other form of this is "Only Uncle's use mirrors".

One of my friend who used to commute from Mandya to Bangalore on weekends during his college days used to say this pretty frequently. Only when he had some close shaves with buses and trucks, did he fix his mirrors again.

Quote:
This morning at 7:50am there were more than 7/8 lanes of vehicles all trying to get onto the 2 lanes beside the KR Puram hanging bridge!
Even if one wants to follow lane discipline it is impossible in this kind of melee and you will just risk your life and car.
This happens daily. The chief reasons for the traffic jams along ORR is due to the unscientific placement of bus stops/bays. All the bus stops are at the start/ end of a flyover or at some critical junction. On top of this the BMTC drivers stop where ever they feel like stopping (mostly parallel to each other).

And they have this irritating habit of overtaking one another and halting at a particular stop. These reasons combined hinders the flow of traffic.

Particularly, under the hanging bridge, the buses stop right under the bridge where the road narrows. The cops standing there don't even care about the jams.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:27   #6418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is going slowly there, dangerous?

It might be tedious, but these car-park/mall/etc ramps, with their narrow lanes and tight corners are really intimidating to some. It's just a few minutes: please be patient and live with it.

On the other hand, going down to the Chennai Express Avenue car park a few weeks ago, I met a guy, coming round a blind corner, exiting in the wrong lane. I can do without that sort of ex[c]iting!

These are the times that I find slow driving bad:

--- cutting into traffic, and then driving slowly in front of the person they just cut in front of.

--- the lost driver who dawdles in the middle of the road. We all sometimes get lost, or have to look for an address, if the road is narrow, others should have a little patience, otherwise the lost driver could and should keep to the left and let people past.

I know people who were astonished to fail the British driving test for driving too slowly. Some of them even thought it might help them to pass! Yes, one is expected to maintain normal progress for the road.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th August 2014 at 14:31.
Old 7th August 2014, 14:33   #6419
Senior - BHPian

Have seen a couple of cars in Bangalore spotting stickers like "I WONT HONK" or "I PLEDGE NOT TO USE HORNS" etc.. Is this some kind of movement? Did they mean no 'unnecessary honking' or no honking at all? Found those bumper stickers somewhat disturbing!
Old 7th August 2014, 14:40   #6420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Have seen a couple of cars in Bangalore spotting stickers like "I WONT HONK" or "I PLEDGE NOT TO USE HORNS" etc.. Is this some kind of movement? Did they mean no 'unnecessary honking' or no honking at all? Found those bumper stickers somewhat disturbing!
Just put a sticker
"Honk, I am a goose"

That will take care of those.
I always give a short toot to cars with "do not honk" stickers. I guess, whenever I see "don't do something" its usually an invitation to do it
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed