Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 14:50   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
..I guess, whenever I see "don't do something" its usually an invitation to do it
Even I started honking with no particular reason as soon as I saw that sticker. But stopped when I saw that the guy was with his family..

So I guess its just another fancy cliché sticker job!
Old 7th August 2014, 14:56   #6422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just put a sticker
"Honk, I am a goose"

That will take care of those.
I always give a short toot to cars with "do not honk" stickers. I guess, whenever I see "don't do something" its usually an invitation to do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Even I started honking with no particular reason as soon as I saw that sticker. But stopped when I saw that the guy was with his family..

So I guess its just another fancy cliché sticker job!
The best sticker that I came across asking one not to honk said:

"Kripya horn na bajayein. Desh so raha hai"

Translation: Please do not honk. The country is sleeping.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:14   #6423
BHPian

I was once behind a car with a sticker that said:

"The closer you get, the slower I drive."
tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:24   #6424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another type of bad drivers are those who drive extremely slowly on the ramps going up on multi-level car parks
I see this happen at the tech park where I work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How is going slowly there, dangerous?

It might be tedious, but these car-park/mall/etc ramps, with their narrow lanes and tight corners are really intimidating to some. It's just a few minutes: please be patient and live with it.
Thanks Thad.

I break into a cold sweat everytime I go through the ramp in Express Avenue in a Safari. The tight corners are so bad in the inner circle that if you are caught in one, you have to maneuver to get to the outer circle. Even in the outer circle you have to be careful not to scrape against the concrete wall.

Many people get impatient when they see me negotiating the curves slowly. Once I had to move to the outer circle and I rolled back a little - giving a nightmare to the car who came too close.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:28   #6425
BANNED

Quote:
Just put a sticker - "Honk, I am a goose"

That will take care of those.
I always give a short toot to cars with "do not honk" stickers. I guess, whenever I see "don't do something" its usually an invitation to do it
TSK on a roll again. Lol!

It is correct that we humans tend to do things more than required when instructed not to do.

Anurag.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:46   #6426
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How is going slowly there, dangerous?

It might be tedious, but these car-park/mall/etc ramps, with their narrow lanes and tight corners are really intimidating to some. It's just a few minutes: please be patient and live with it.
@Thad you have no clue about the drivers I'm referring to - they just don't know how to drive on an incline, some examples - using the wrong gear, engine turns off, vehicle slips backwards, etc not the cautious ones who are driving at slow speed. The ramp being circular adds to the woes and driving really slow is the wrong strategy in the context I'm referring to. By the way the normal speed that takes one up safely on the ramp is about 15kmph so I'm not saying someone must drive really fast here. And the ramp isn't narrow thankfully. Hope you now get the perspective.

Last edited by NPV : 7th August 2014 at 19:48.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:24   #6427

And not to mention those driving vehicles slowly in the extreme right lane causing traffic to line up behind them during peak traffic time. Also not to miss out on the two wheeler riders who just zip in and out of lanes causing confusion.
Old 7th August 2014, 20:27   #6428
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore has a tonne of inclined roads, and it's a nightmare driving behind (or ahead of) some of the worse examples of 'drivers'. They stop right on your bumper, then honk in panic when your vehicle moves behind even an inch due to gravity.

Then there are the ones ahead of you who haven't heard of the hand-brake, and are busy trying to take off in the wrong gear, struggling to engage first gear, speaking on the phone or just taking 5 seconds to move right foot between B & A pedals, and rolling back into you the whole time.

I stop a minimum car length behind the lead driver on an incline, just so I have their driving inadequacies and idiocies covered. Gives me room for an emergency maneuver too (had to get out of the way in a hurry once when a bus ahead of me broke down on an incline and started rolling back).
Old 8th August 2014, 04:28   #6429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@Thad you have no clue about the drivers I'm referring to - they just don't know how to drive on an incline, some examples - using the wrong gear, engine turns off, vehicle slips backwards, etc not the cautious ones who are driving at slow speed. The ramp being circular adds to the woes and driving really slow is the wrong strategy in the context I'm referring to. By the way the normal speed that takes one up safely on the ramp is about 15kmph so I'm not saying someone must drive really fast here. And the ramp isn't narrow thankfully. Hope you now get the perspective.
Well, you said
Quote:
Another type of bad drivers are those who drive extremely slowly on the ramps going up on multi-level car parks
So, obviously I had no clue

Of course, if you meant those who don't know how to handle hills, can't control the car with brake and clutch, and all that stuff, then I would have been with you.

Thinking about it now, I wonder how those who live and drive in a mostly-flat city like Chennai do handle those ramps! They must come as a nasty shock for first-timers.

I often think we should have a thread for bad pedestrians too, and the other thing you mentioned, "livestock" on those ramps is crazy. And whyohwhyohwhy do people walk over flyovers?
Old 8th August 2014, 08:37   #6430
Senior - BHPian

This smart dude jumped the queue yesterday at Kakkanad and successfully managed to block the traffic from other side for some time. It was quite a bad jam and I was stuck there for close to 10 minutes. And this very smart dude helped add a couple more minutes to it for all.

KL 01 BP 9314, a doc' car nonetheless.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20140807_002.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20140807_003.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-wp_20140807_004.jpg  

Old 8th August 2014, 12:31   #6431
BHPian

I saw an Innova on the National Highway -8 yesterday, dropping a lady just after the toll gate (which by the way is free now - so cars driving even faster), at the extreme rightmost lane. I could not believe my eyes for once. It was the most dangerous position on a fast highway. I guess money does not buy you common sense.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:01   #6432
BHPian

I had once observed something similar on the Delhi Gurgoan expressway. A car going towards Gurgoan was crawling ( c r a w l in g, that slow ) on the right most lane. On passing the car from the left I observed that the man driving the car was showing an old man, probably his father, the Delhi airport runway across the road.
Old 8th August 2014, 23:55   #6433
BHPian

This bad driver comes without warning, he is right on your face before you can even spot him!

Few years back... NH7, 4 lane highway, travelling Salem - Krishnagiri direction. Cruising at a comfortable speed in my Octy around noon time. There is a car carrier truck on the left lane and road has a smooth left curve ahead. I begin to overtake the truck on the right side lane. Suddenly without warning, there is a Maruti Zen coming head-on in my lane on this side of the divider of the 4 lane highway Since the road was curving to the left, I could not see much ahead but then on a 4 lane highway you don't expect a speeding car in the opposite direction in your lane! I have the divider on 1 side and the wall like truck on the other and a speeding Zen overstuffed with passengers doing good speed head-on!!! For a second I thought this is it, this is how I'm gonna die!! I jammed the brakes as a reflex the moment I saw him and the moment truck cleared ahead, a quick turn to left and the Zen passes the same time as I moved away. A second delayed and I don't think any one would walk out alive from that scene from both cars.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:36   #6434
BHPian

Bad driver update

A bus of TE Connectivity. Yesterday at 7.00AM from Hebbal to Whitefield. Bullying, tailgating, overtaking from left. The bus was fully loaded as well.

It belonged to SRS Travels. I didn't find any phone number on the bus to call and report rash driving, or would have done so.

A sincere appeal to any Bhpian working at this organization to bring this guy in line.
Old 9th August 2014, 10:37   #6435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
coming head-on in my lane on this side of the divider of the 4 lane highway
Reminds me about a similar instance in the past while I was in my friend's Swift with his family (accompanying him as a driver as he didnt want to drive all the way from Cochin to Bangalore).

I think it was somewhere b/n coimbatore-salem stretch, I was cruising at a good speed and fortunately the speed was reduced to 90-100's due to a right curve and overtaking some vehicle moving in the left lane, once the curve was about to over, suddenly I saw an Axx Hxxx in a truck with headlights on in the right lane slowly coming bang opposite to me to save a few drops of diesel, for an instance I had a glimpse of Heaven and Hell (but was in a confusion where to go, even God may not get enough time to allocate for me). Since there was a vehicle on my left lane I couldnt change the lane, even though I overtook him, it will be like a surprise for him to be in his lane and his car will definitely kiss my Axx. Luckily I stood up on the brakes, Thank God I used to use pulsating brakes from my Amby days (it was a non ABS car, it may topple if I do a sudden lane change and brake) and it stopped a couple of inches from my heaven or hell dream.

It didnt end there, I got really pissed off when that moron gave me a Gyan in Tamil "Paathu odikka vedndama" (in short, Drive carefully), then my friend and his wife were looking each other shockingly (they forgot the previous shock) on hearing my "Pure Malayalam" and "Pure Tamil" for a couple of mins. Surprisingly, a few locals and drivers also joined me.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 9th August 2014 at 10:40.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks