Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 12:51   #6436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I guess I post this every year. Correction: several times a year.

What's worse than tailgating? Tailgating in the rain or even on wet roads.

Come on, Morons! Especially you guys with the yellow plates who call yourself "professionals!" Keep your distance! If you don't know this you shouldn't be on the road, let alone driving for a living.

If this post causes offence --- good.

(Prompted by driving in the heavy rains here yesterday evening. If it wasn't for a certain minority out there on the roads, this sort of drive could actually be fun!)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th August 2014 at 12:54.
Old 9th August 2014, 13:15   #6437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Tailgating in the rain or even on wet roads.
Another mess is driving with hazard lights on, during the last rain in Bangalore, a couple of days back, almost 50-75% of people were driving with hazard lights. At the same time I could change the perspective of 2 drivers (hope so), one being a taxi driver, literally demoing them when I met them at a signal, the amount of confusion he is creating to the cars after him. One funny thing is the Taxi driver was not even aware of the use of hazard lights in general and he was just blindly following what others were doing, also without knowing why and what for.
Old 9th August 2014, 13:19   #6438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
---------

(Prompted by driving in the heavy rains here yesterday evening. If it wasn't for a certain minority out there on the roads, this sort of drive could actually be fun!)
I hope your property was not damaged while you experienced this. However, just this goes on to justify one popular saying - common sense is not so common yet!
Old 9th August 2014, 14:08   #6439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
This bad driver comes without warning, he is right on your face before you can even spot him!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
I think it was somewhere b/n coimbatore-salem stretch, I was cruising at a good speed and fortunately the speed was reduced to 90-100's due to a right curve and overtaking some vehicle moving in the left lane, once the curve was about to over, suddenly I saw an Axx Hxxx in a truck with headlights on in the right lane slowly coming bang opposite to me to save a few drops of diesel
CMS, this is how it must've looked like, right?

Quote:
... "Paathu odikka vedndama" (in short, Drive carefully)... on hearing my "Pure Malayalam" and "Pure Tamil" for a couple of mins. Surprisingly, a few locals and drivers also joined me.
silversteed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 15:05   #6440
Senior - BHPian

Standing on Apollo flyover in the morning. Bumper to Bumper traffic. Suddenly there was a loud noise at the back and whole car was thrown forward. I have a habit of applying hand brake on slopes while standing otherwise I would have certainly hit the Verna at front such was the impact.

My staff guy sitting next to me looked at me and said bumper should be gone. We got out in a sec and saw an Indica being driven by a child (the head was barely at steering level). I was angry and knocked on the Window. Window rolled down and surprise surprise. It's a teenage girl driving with 4 Aunties in the car. Now what could I say to a girl expect for shaking my head in disbelief and she looked really shaken by the incident. Apparently instead of brake she pressed on accelerator. Holding all the expletives in my heart I told her to keep distance from cars at front and drive safe. There was an ambulance right behind her so I didn't want to prolong the matter.

Now biggest surprise not a single dent or scratch on the backside. I was pleasantly surprised. In my experience Honda cars have a weak rear but this was simply amazing. I was so sure bumper would be gone cos of the impact Only one of the parking sensors came out a bit which I duly pushed back in its place. Forgot to check if it's still working or not. Loss averted due to good luck but one can do nothing about such drivers.

Last edited by harry10 : 9th August 2014 at 15:07.
Old 9th August 2014, 15:16   #6441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Now biggest surprise not a single dent or scratch on the backside. I was pleasantly surprised. In my experience Honda cars have a weak rear but this was simply amazing. I was so sure bumper would be gone cos of the impact Only one of the parking sensors came out a bit which I duly pushed back in its place.
Harry, I think you should consider yourself lucky that the car did not suffer any visible damage. I read your ownership report and know that you have been driving the new Honda City. I am calling you lucky because the rear bumper of the 2014 City is almost in line with the boot lid. With that sort of arrangement, I reckon that getting hit on the bumper is same as getting hit on boot lid and hence resulting in a major dent on metal. However, great that it did not happen.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 9th August 2014 at 15:18.
Old 9th August 2014, 15:24   #6442
BHPian

Quote:
Another mess is driving with hazard lights on, during the last rain in Bangalore, a couple of days back, almost 50-75% of people were driving with hazard lights. At the same time I could change the perspective of 2 drivers (hope so), one being a taxi driver, literally demoing them when I met them at a signal, the amount of confusion he is creating to the cars after him. One funny thing is the Taxi driver was not even aware of the use of hazard lights in general and he was just blindly following what others were doing, also without knowing why and what for.
Helps the bikers in a big way. During heavy rains, these orange blinkers are all that people can make out in the fogged up helmets.
Old 9th August 2014, 15:56   #6443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Helps the bikers in a big way. During heavy rains, these orange blinkers are all that people can make out in the fogged up helmets.
How about getting hit by the same car while the biker overtaking without knowing when the car takes a left / right turn?
Old 9th August 2014, 16:14   #6444
BHPian

Quote:
How about getting hit by the same car while the biker overtaking without knowing when the car takes a left / right turn?
lesser chance than crashing into the car's rear with the lack of visibility.
Also, overtaking at such woeful visibility conditions ?
Old 9th August 2014, 17:24   #6445
BHPian

Yesterday it was raining heavily here since 1900 and this made me delay my drive home to 2130 (to avoid at least the congestion). While on the Kalikapur - Bypass connector there are a couple of places where the divider ends and both up/down traffic merges into a single side. A hotshot driver on one of the new Dzire white cabs coming in the opposite direction executes a high speed curve from his (down) road onto mine (at point of merging) and then back to his side (down) again, in the process splashing my whole windshield with water and reducing visibility to zero for a fraction of a second. Luckily for me there was next to no traffic ahead or behind in my lane and I was going very slow at 30, but still terrifying as there were some pedestrians lined up on the divider waiting to cross.
Old 9th August 2014, 17:53   #6446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I strongly recommend going through this thread that discusses how to use Hazard lights:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...rd-lights.html

If you cannot see clearly ahead, maybe you should stop, wipe off the mist and depending on the condition, ride at a safe speed. Driving with hazard lights on is just wrong. Period
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 17:57   #6447
BHPian

Driving on a narrow road with a fair bit of traffic . Yellow plate Innova right behind me, honking , blinking lights. Sigh. Here is one for the bad driver thread.

He tries to overtake me at the first opportunity he gets, but pulls back because of oncoming traffic.

We approach a hump, and as I slow down, I can see him change lane and approach the hump, really fast, to come abreast of me.

I glance at him, he is gesticulating at me, and not moving forward to complete the overtaking. both of us are now taking the hump slowly.

Oh boy, here is an angry bad driver, I think. I try to ignore, but his gesticulation and animated expressions are beginning to get on my nerves.

"What?" I gesture to him, trying not to be too impolite to get into a road rage situation.

by this time he has pulled back because of oncoming traffic, and I see some shoulder on the road ahead - Is he trying to tell me something? I ask myself, and I move to the extreme left to get him move past me.

He slows down beside me, finally rolls down his passenger window, and shouts "Your door isnt closed properly!"

Ouch.

I gesture a big apology to him, and I could see him smiling and shaking his head, as he gunned past me.

Well, this shouldnt be in this thread, but then I almost thought he got here.

Last edited by Bigzero : 9th August 2014 at 18:04.
Bigzero is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 20:14   #6448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
NO, Not at all. In that video you can see the bus from a distance. In my case it was a right curve with plants on the median. Once I covered the curve, all of a sudden I spotted the moron with headlights on. But my fault was not to anticipate the unexpected on a blind curve eventhough its a 4 lane road, lesson learnt and then after stays at the left or middle lane in similar curves.
Old 9th August 2014, 22:27   #6449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Not really. You see the car when it is already near the cabin of the truck because of the curve of the highway, and you don't have room to change lane to your left and there is the divider on your right. You have your present lane only to follow and you have the speeding car coming on to you in the same lane. That is disaster!
Old 10th August 2014, 00:27   #6450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I hope your property was not damaged while you experienced this. However, just this goes on to justify one popular saying - common sense is not so common yet!
A lot of water in the garden that took 24 hours to clear. None in house, but worried due to apparent lack of level managment in nearby canal, aka open sewer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How could anybody ever crash into the back of a car because of lack of visibility?

Oh, right: they were going at usual speed despite lack of visibility.

It is not the visibility's fault: it is the speed and the driver.
Quote:
Just another factor in the whole driving as if it isn't raining scenario.

Most Viewed