Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 17:46   #6466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Rear fog/high-visibility lights are for this purpose.... too many people think that there are only two settings for the lights: off and everything-on. This is a real pain. Had my first experience of driving behind such a person, with high-vis rear fog light, here in Chennai,
This all lights On or OFF habit is common in Kerala too. I too use rear fogs when waiting at signals during thick of night when traffic is lesser to forewarn vehicles coming from behind.

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th August 2014 at 18:02.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:50   #6467
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
This all lights On or OFF habit is common in Kerala too. I too use rear fogs when waiting at signals during thick of night when traffic is lesser to prevent getting hit from behind.
I have seen many owners where they connect the rear fog lamp to the brakes.

So whenever one brakes all the lights glow up like a Christmas tree.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 17:57   #6468
BHPian

I can list down a large number of them but I believe a lot of them have already been mentioned.
Still a few of them I can point out to right away:
a) Bikers riding sans helmets... usually college chaps trying to impress their girlfriends.
b) Underage drivers ... most of them from influential families who care two hoots about driving licenses
c) People who drink and drive.. that to intentionally...
d) Honkers.. of all ages and sizes..
Old 11th August 2014, 18:06   #6469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
You should see Bangalore cabbies. Not only their foglamps are connected to the brake light, but also additional multi-color LED strips. Now, that is the REAL Christmas tree.
Old 11th August 2014, 18:09   #6470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Anurag.
In some TT's i have seen the brake light and reverse light glow in tandem when the driver applies brakes. Sometimes it can be tricky as to whether the vehicle is going forward or backward.
Old 11th August 2014, 23:58   #6471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Saw yet another specimen of 'parenting-done-wrong'! A guy on his bike wearing helmet with his 4 or 5 year old daughter sitting in front of him on the fuel tank. There is nothing much wrong in this ... ... ...
There is everything wrong with that. The fact that it is normal does not make it right. Motorbike as family transport is one of the national problems.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 08:04   #6472
BHPian

Quote:
Hence I much rather prefer such drivers to put the hazard light on which to me signifies that he is not planning to move ahead for whatever reason and offering me the luxury of space to easily merge into the nearby lane and not ending up stuck behind him..
Well. That's true. A driver who let his intentions know is much easier to deal with. But my intention was to make him realize not to inconvenience others.

Quote:
In some TT's i have seen the brake light and reverse light glow in tandem when the driver applies brakes. Sometimes it can be tricky as to whether the vehicle is going forward or backward.
Now-a-days every cabbie does this modification. I saw a Sumo today, with hazard, reverse light glowing while braking.
Old 12th August 2014, 21:55   #6473
BHPian

A road with a slight bend was what I was riding upon today. Due to this bend, the things ahead had a blind approach. I suddenly spot an Omni about to take a u turn and then in a flash bang in the center. Came to a halt rather frantically. Pissed off, I yell "What is it?"
The driver plainly replies "the indicator was on"
I guess, the mistake was more upon my part as I should have had anticipated any hazards past the blind point.

Last edited by sarcastichouse : 12th August 2014 at 21:56.
Old 13th August 2014, 03:07   #6474
BHPian

The way to spot bad drivers to look at the bottom of the rear windshield -- it will have 'bad' printed on it .

Like this guy in a nice coloured i20 who's folded away his Right-hand ORVM -- and has also got stuck in the right-lane ahead of a major right-turn and is now trying to extricate himself.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc00369.jpg
Old 13th August 2014, 09:15   #6475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
And for lack of LHS ORVM, it has to do with the govt or regulations. These things were not standard to keep the costs down and because the regulation was not there Automobile manufacturers exploited the situation. Not just cars but bikes and scooters used to have only RHS rear view mirrors.

Funny enough, BMW with all the bells & whistles had failed to pass the homologation test as it didnot have a space for spare tyre as the car had RFTs (Run Flast Tyres) and the regulation was to have a provision for back up tyre in India, however, this was changed later on.
I might be wrong in saying so previously and ORVM still might not be regulation requirement as Hyundai Eon is a road legal car and its base model doesn't have LHS ORVM
No wonder Hyundai is not active in initiating any Road Safety Awareness or Trainings. MS has been in news for taking such steps
Old 13th August 2014, 15:21   #6476
BHPian

One more new example of bad driver, Saw this accord near mayur vihar. The playlist and music screen was on the IVRM (must be using the rear camera screen as a music player sceen. Wonder how he will see anything behind him in IVRM
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag0241_burst002_cover.jpg
Old 14th August 2014, 00:58   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
One more new example of bad driver, Saw this accord near mayur vihar. The playlist and music screen was on the IVRM (must be using the rear camera screen as a music player sceen. Wonder how he will see anything behind him in IVRM
Attachment 1273925
That looks like Heads-Up Display (Call it a drop down LCD screen) where the music / video is playing. It may be blocking the IRVM though.

The IRVM cannot be such huge. The display for reverse camera output is pretty much small and is more likely affixed to the side of the IRVM, which is again pretty much small.

Are you absolutely sure that the display was on the IRVM ?
Old 14th August 2014, 07:00   #6478
BHPian

Here is a person who has parked like this, in spite of knowing that a at has to pass through the gap!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407979820.901548.jpg
Old 14th August 2014, 09:37   #6479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
That looks like Heads-Up Display (Call it a drop down LCD screen) where the music / video is playing. It may be blocking the IRVM though.

The IRVM cannot be such huge. The display for reverse camera output is pretty much small and is more likely affixed to the side of the IRVM, which is again pretty much small.

Are you absolutely sure that the display was on the IRVM ?
Yup, it was one of those IVRM/screen which replaces/covers the factory std IVRMs. Sorry for the quality of pic, but that was the best my phone cam could do in that light. I was also taken aback for some time wondering how can one see the playlist and song details on IVRM.
Old 14th August 2014, 10:22   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
I might be wrong in saying so previously and ORVM still might not be regulation requirement as Hyundai Eon is a road legal car and its base model doesn't have LHS ORVM
No wonder Hyundai is not active in initiating any Road Safety Awareness or Trainings. MS has been in news for taking such steps
Well, Maruti may be taking steps like training n stuff.
But, Alto 800 Lxi also does not have Left-Outside Rear View mirror (by default).

Ace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks