Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2014, 10:18   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn
Unless the Sunny fella came after the Alto and did that deliberately to not block the Alto.
In which case, after the Alto is gone, those who see the Sunny will blame it's driver for wrong parking.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:45   #6512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post

I actually felt it was the city driver at fault because of his speed and abrupt braking in that condition. The two wheeler didn't know it coming.
This has been argued so many times on the forum before that I have lost count now. But the general consensus is always that the rider/diver at the back is responsible for stopping within a safe distance. Clearly in the above example the Honda city was driving at a more than average speed. But the biker behind must also be then doing the same without probably realizing that the car in front is equally capable of stopping in a very short span of time and hence the accident. If he or she would be following there safe speed/distance parameters then it wouldn't have lead to the situation at all.
drmohitg is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 11:05   #6513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually felt it was the city driver at fault because of his speed and abrupt braking in that condition. The two wheeler didn't know it coming.
Whatever said and done, the 2 wheeler had to maintain distance. Else he did be kissing any cars rear the moment driver panic brakes.
Old 19th August 2014, 11:36   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
I was on my way to office on Outer Ring Road today towards Hebbal. The road narrows down a lot near the KR Puram railway station. Traffic is usually at snail's pace. A Honda City going faster than what is normal in that traffic braked abruptly. A poor two wheeler bumped into the car and fell down. No severe damage to him or his bike, but the relatively new City had a dent and lost a lot of paint. The city driver got down, held the rider by his collar, shouted and asked him to pay up.
Don't know what happened next.

Nope. Its the fault of the 2 wheeler for not maintaining adequate braking space and bumping into the back of the car. More likely he was tailgating the same car at the same high speeds (recipe for disaster)

20 years back, on an interior state road our Omni was bumped from behind by a Sumo when my father suddenly spotted an unmarked speedhump and panic braked.
An argument ensued but still the Sumo guy had to cough out 3K in damages to us. You cannot blame the person ahead in any case (unless he backed up and banged you instead)
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 12:18   #6515
BHPian

I really fail to understand how some parents put their children in harms way!

This morning around 7 a.m., I was the first car waiting at the traffic lights with about 40-45 seconds left on the countdown timer. A man with his son (kid had no helmet while the dad was wearing one) on a scooter, decided it was smarter to jump the light rather than wait a few seconds. This is a very busy crossing (The MHS + CCFC crossing - those living in Calcutta will know what I'm talking about), with heavy traffic flow.

He crossed the first half of the road and then waited bang in the middle of the crossing on the tram tracks. He moved on once he found a gap in the traffic flow. I was amazed how idiotic that man could be. People like this do not deserve to have kids! So much for setting a good example for future generations.

As for the cops, the constable on duty seemed content sitting in the police booth and watching the action from there, rather than catching offenders.
Old 19th August 2014, 12:52   #6516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Its the fault of the 2 wheeler for not maintaining adequate braking space and bumping into the back of the car. More likely he was tailgating the same car at the same high speeds (recipe for disaster)
IMO both of them are equally to be blamed. 2 wheeler for not maintaining sufficient distance and 4 wheeler for speeding and braking suddenly when it was known that the roads isnt available to speed. One cannot go by the extent of damage suffered to play the blame game. Because of these people's mistake the traffic at that junction would suffer.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:25   #6517
Distinguished - BHPian

In a recent conversation I think there was some support for the idea that senseless sudden braking was a form of reckless driving in itself, but that in no way diminishes the responsibility to drive at a safe distance from the vehicle in front.

Looking ahead and working out what might be about to happen is a major part of driving. How many times do we find ourselves being overtaken by a bike just as we move to the left to avoid a parked vehicle or other obstruction. Is the guy blind? or just stupid? And that is something that people behind can see: what if it is a deep pothole that they can't?

Driving at a safe distance should be the message of this forum.

Quote:
... A Honda City going faster than what is normal in that traffic braked abruptly. A poor two wheeler bumped into the car and fell down. No severe damage to him or his bike, but the relatively new City had a dent and lost a lot of paint. The city driver got down, held the rider by his collar, shouted and asked him to pay up.
Don't know what happened next.

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
This has been argued so many times on the forum before that I have lost count now. But the general consensus is always that the rider/diver at the back is responsible for stopping within a safe distance.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Whatever said and done, the 2 wheeler had to maintain distance. Else he did be kissing any cars rear the moment driver panic brakes.
And yes again! Tailgating is bad, and two-wheelers, because they seem to think they are just like pedestrians on foot, sometimes drive at almost-touching distance. They are responsible for what happens, and only lucky that they do not fly over the car and hit the road in front, or enter it through the back window.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2014 at 15:50. Reason: Removing fordfreak's quoted post as I assume it was quoted in error? Thanks
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:36   #6518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
both of them are equally to be blamed.
No way I can see the car driver to be blamed. Was the biker brainless to follow a car closely? A vehicle may stop or slow down because of several reasons, what if he braked because of another "brainless moron"? Are we suggesting people to hit him to save the tailgating moron, another responsibility for the car driver, "prioritise whom to hit" or "select the victim".
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:54   #6519
Team-BHP Support

Does it really need one to be a rocket scientist to understand a car driver may panic brake, especially in Bangalore with its potholes-every-few-meters moonscape for roads?

The following driver is responsible for all rear-endings, including the scenario where the moron ahead brakes without a care in the world that someone is close behind. The point is never be 'close' enough that one can't stop without contact.
Old 19th August 2014, 15:27   #6520
Senior - BHPian

When one is driving, one is expected to be in anticipatory mode - Driving with one's senses on the road and around the car.
You cannot simply brake suddenly because you forgot a left turn, or the car ahead of you stops suddenly. If you don't have that reflexes, or that kinda car, stay 2 cars away from the previous vehicle, even though it is a bike.
Don't bang into its rear, or dont brake abruptly and get banged from rear.

We need to stop the concept of whoever bangs from rear is at fault. Its a combination of your bad driving + the bad driving of the vehicle which rear ended you.
Its all about how you predict your own disaster.
Being a little paranoid on roads, helps - Whether you are on foot, or 2 wheels, or 10 or 20 wheels.

Did we miss reading / debating on this thread ? - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...od-driver.html

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 19th August 2014 at 15:28. Reason: Typo
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 23:48   #6521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We need to stop the concept of whoever bangs from rear is at fault.
No we do not!

We need to shout and bang it into everybody's heads until they have not only got it, but they drive as if they have got it.

You are right about not just braking, of course. A driver is supposed to be aware in that way. If you miss your turn, tough, you missed it. Pull in and think about it, don't just stop dead. Let's impress this on people too. Us Brits were taught: Mirror, Signal, Manoevre.

However, leaving space in front in which to stop is not only good and safe driving, it allows for idiots too. Front bumpers get damaged as well as back bumpers: this isn't just a charity thing! Never mind the guy in front; protect your own car by leaving space.

Can't stress this too much. Simply leaving that gap will prevent so many accidents. Let's not argue about it, let's just do it.

Bad Driver of The Day...

I was approaching T junction. A bus is crossing the top bar of the "T" and I see it stop very suddenly. I wonder what is happening, and as I get closer I see a young boy on a pedal cycle who has pulled out right in front of the bus. Touching distance.

We can easily imagine what the headlines might have been: Bus rams child on bicycle, driver arrested. It didn't happen: both child and bus went on their way unharmed, thanks to the bus driver. If I'd been that bus driver I'd have been shaking too much to drive.

(Oh, and by the way, hope nobody was driving too close to the back of that bus)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:00   #6522
BHPian

My Two thoughts about this issue:-
- Its more sensible to leave a gap in-front. Though I wouldn't entirely blame the person at the rear.
- Leaving space is in an ideal situation. Here, in traffic, just trying leaving a little space! It will be filled with 2-wheelers, autos and everything moving within seconds.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:16   #6523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...- Leaving space is in an ideal situation. Here, in traffic, just trying leaving a little space! It will be filled with 2-wheelers, autos and everything moving within seconds.
In traffic, what will be the max speed you will be doing? Crawling in closer in a stop and go traffic will be much safer than tailgating at 30-40 kmph. Both are different scnarios.
Old 20th August 2014, 13:28   #6524
Senior - BHPian

I was returning home to Mumbai from Pune on Monday evening. There was an Indica Vista infront of me going at consistent speeds with traffic ahead of it. Suddenly, I hear a loud screeching sound, but could not make out where it actually came from. The next moment, I see the rear wheels of this Vista go in the air as it crashed with the car in front of it. Thankfully, I was at controllable speed so slowed down.

What I saw next was terrible. A total of ten cars had crashed, one-behind-another, the Vista being number tenth. The first car, an Ertiga had suddenly stopped under heavy braking which made the ten cars crash into one another behind him. Reason for the Ertiga to brake hard, was unknown as there was nothing in front of it.

Reason for this crash = Tailgating

I observed that couple of cars involved in the crash, particularly taxis, had been tailgating each other for a while. This was how they paid the price. There was no minor damage on any car, but every car suffered major damage, especially the ones sandwiched between the pileup. Some people also suffered minor injuries, especially the ones in a Maruti Eeco since the damage came all the way up to its windshield.

Of course, I am partially certain that the Ertiga driver was blamed, but then I put myself in his place and think, what if suddenly someone decided to cross the road in front of me and I had to use emergency braking? Is it my fault if cars behind crash into me? On paper, no, I am not at fault. In reality, it is a different story. If they maintained enough distance, they would stop in time. Plus, why the Ertiga driver braked hard is a mystery.

Several drivers have this bad habit of driving very close to the car in front so that no one can get into their lane or another reason is to intimidate the driver in front so that he moves out to give way. But while doing so they barely have any idea about the repercussions that may occur, if the driver in front has to do emergency braking. Forget damage to the car, it can cause some serious injury to the occupants or even death in some cases.

Please keep in mind that a ten minute delay to your destination is better than loosing your loved ones and or damaging somebody's property. Please keep safe distance from the car in front. Strictly prohibit tailgating.

Last edited by Stratos : 20th August 2014 at 13:30.
Stratos is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 13:38   #6525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Suddenly, I hear a loud screeching sound, but could not make out where it actually came from. The next moment, I see the rear wheels of this Vista go in the air as it crashed with the car in front of it. Thankfully, I was at controllable speed so slowed down..
My office colleague was involved in this pile up. Luckily he had no injuries and walked out of it without a scratch, because he was belted up. But his i10 was a mess. It is now lying at the service centre awaiting insurance/repairs. The front and the back of the car are history now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks