Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 21:13   #6601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I read somewhere, I hope it is not offensive to share it here.

Indians will wait to have (___) till they are 25, but not wait for 25 seconds for the signal to turn green.
In which era?

In today's India, I think that statement can be contested

edit: the first part

Last edited by IronH4WK : 26th August 2014 at 21:14.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:15   #6602
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
In which era?

In today's India, I think that statement can be contested

edit: the first part
An example, of course, the lamp doesn't turn green in 25 seconds. But you get the point.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:52   #6603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
An example, of course, the lamp doesn't turn green in 25 seconds. But you get the point.
indeed

i often wonder, why are people like this? are they so disconnected that it enables them to not care about others or don't care what happens to others as a result of their actions? or are people just lawless by nature? i think most of them think it's okay to do what they do and in the absence of anyone telling them otherwise, they just keep doing it.

really disheartening.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 23:50   #6604
BHPian

Spotted this Police Bolero giving himself the liberty of stopping so far ahead at the signal that he's probably missing the perpendicular traffic by inches ( a blue swift can be seen crossing his T).

Oddly enough it's a Delhi Police vehicle -- so unless they're involved in a pan-India car chase, I guess they've come to participate in a poor-driving contest with their W Bengal counterparts.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-dsc0378.jpg

Last edited by Kumar R : 26th August 2014 at 23:52.
Old 27th August 2014, 17:02   #6605
Senior - BHPian

Saw this real senseless parking in my office lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409139128938.jpg  

Old 27th August 2014, 19:54   #6606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
Oddly enough it's a Delhi Police vehicle -- so unless they're involved in a pan-India car chase, I guess they've come to participate in a poor-driving contest with their W Bengal counterparts.
It's a DL-reg vehicle with a POLICE plate at the back and no other markings. Most likely belongs to one of the paramilitary / other forces such as ITBP, CISF, RPF, GRP etc. Delhi Police always have their DP markings on the sides of the vehicle / windscreen.

Wonder what the Sumo driver is trying to do, though.
Old 27th August 2014, 21:16   #6607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
That's only an inch away from being in the accidents thread!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 22:38   #6608
BHPian

Quote:
Wait you have not seen it all

Please don't show any sympathy of any kind to anyone.
The vehicle parked (first & third)are very well aware that the space is allocated to two wheelers.
Second vehicle has an "L" placed at a wrong place (on number plate) to let others understand that the driver is still a learner.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-01042013534.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-02042012317.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-03092013641.jpg  

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 27th August 2014 at 22:39.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 04:10   #6609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It's a DL-reg vehicle with a POLICE plate at the back and no other markings. Most likely belongs to one of the paramilitary / other forces such as ITBP, CISF, RPF, GRP etc. Delhi Police always have their DP markings on the sides of the vehicle / windscreen.

Wonder what the Sumo driver is trying to do, though.
Interesting observation, I agree (especially that it does not look like a DP vehicle) though I do not ever recall seeing another like it at all across cities. I have seen CRPF buses / trucks during election time and they are always locally registered and conspicuously marked 'CRPF' in white (they do not use just 'police'). I also know that Govt. of India offices and establishments (certainly the non-police ones) in states all use local-registered vehicles for their civil servants when posted in such offices.

The sumo you see seems to be a converted ambulance of sorts and was fully utilising that status to zoom past other vehicles for the stretch just before the signal. At the signal though he decided the 'emergency' did not warrant breaking traffic and reluctantly decided to wait it out.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:47   #6610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar R View Post
At the signal though he decided the 'emergency' did not warrant breaking traffic and reluctantly decided to wait it out.
Indeed, how considerate of him.

We (all of us) are selfish.
How else would one characterize this urge to get an inch ahead of the next car or bike as the most important thing to "achieve". I don't think this behavior is due to unawareness of signals or signage or even lack of patience.
You see it with bikers most often. How often do you see them creep up inch by inch till they have reached half the junction?
How often do you see them weaving in and out between cars just so they can get to the front of the queue at a stop light? And to hell with nicking someone's mirror or door in the process.
Would car drivers not do the same? Yes absolutely. Given half a chance, they would try to weave in and out between buses or trucks just so they can reach the toll plaza counter ahead of others.
Ever stood in line at a railway station to buy a platform ticket? Did you not notice the innumerable times people try jumping the queue, or attempt to ease in from outside?
It's animal nature - it's the law that says "survival of the fittest" that makes Indians behave in selfish ways. Why? It's because this Indian animal is a very special animal. It is conditioned from childhood to think that it's lot in life is living in perpetual scarcity. Any amount of education takes a back seat. And the mind converts any situation (waiting at stop light, toll plaza, or even buying a Rs 5 platform ticket) into a competition.

Is there a cure? Sure there is. Ensure plenty of resources for all and enforce laws to ensure governance. But that's a different topic
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 09:11   #6611
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do we drive the slowest on the right lane? Because many of us are taught to. Followed a Maruti Driving School car yesterday, with a young lady taking driving lessons from a young man who was more interested in her than her driving. And the trainee wouldn't budge from the right lane at all...

SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:14   #6612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Why do we drive the slowest on the right lane? Because many of us are taught to. Followed a Maruti Driving School car yesterday, with a young lady taking driving lessons from a young man who was more interested in her than her driving. And the trainee wouldn't budge from the right lane at all...
Speaking of which, I have to cope with too many two-wheeler riders here in Bangalore, especially in the wider roads, where they stick to the right lane and do not go beyond 20-25kmph. Follow them, and you keep following them forever. Honk at them, they give a slight shudder, which would scare the hell out of you as you'd think that they are going to fall off and you'd have to run over them.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting video's in your posts as it inconveniences mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th August 2014 at 14:21.
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 16:22   #6613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's not IDP parking. Mahadevpura?

Had stopped at KFC Belgaum for lunch before proceeding to Goa, came back to see this.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409223154809.jpg  

Old 28th August 2014, 16:40   #6614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
That's not IDP parking. Mahadevpura?
This is at Bagmane , CVR. We have some real classics here.

Today while I was coming in to work , I was waiting for a chap to park his A-Star in a easy to park slot. His only obstacle was a pillar on his rear right corner and an Alto in front parked sideways. He had to reverse into his slot with out rubbing his front right corner on the Alto and his rear right on the pillar, both of which he did, not once, but thrice and all this with the even more smart security guys guiding him.

I scooted in between the gap I got lest he decides to rub my Bullet as well.
Old 28th August 2014, 16:40   #6615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
The vehicle parked (first & third)are very well aware that the space is allocated to two wheelers.
But it looks like there are space markings for cars to be parked there? The car appears to be parked within the markers as well.

Probably a new visitor to the complex who arrived early on and there weren’t any bikes at that time. If the markers are present, I wouldn’t really blame him!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks