Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2014, 15:38   #6631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
... The guy pulls the rope briskly and little did he realize that the rickshaw was in gear! The rickshaw started with the driver standing on the road and started to roll down the road and the poor chap was trying to overcome the diesel torque by trying to stop the rickshaw by pulling it with all the might he could...
Am surprised. Never knew a vehicle in gear can be started (unless you have pressed the clutch). It usually knocks and jumps forwards; but never starts as far as I know! Same for a petrol vehicle as well.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 15:44   #6632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Am surprised. Never knew a vehicle in gear can be started (unless you have pressed the clutch). It usually knocks and jumps forwards; but never starts as far as I know! Same for a petrol vehicle as well.
It does start! If the vehicle is in a lower gear, say first and the speed it attains while cranking is sufficient, the engine will start running. You can use this technique if you have a complete clutch failure to get moving without pushing the car. Just put your car in 1st or 2nd gear and crank the engine. The car will start and get rolling.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 16:21   #6633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It does start. Standard operating procedure when clutch fails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
SECOND EXPERIMENT : Without starting engine put your car in first gear. Do not press clutch. Use starter. The engine will give some jerks but youd have your car moving off in first gear. Again this is not something to be done regularly but you should be able to do it if needed.

Of course watch out that you do such experiments in an area that is not congested.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 18:38   #6634
Distinguished - BHPian

This reminds me of something that my father told me. You drive onto a railway crossing and stall. The engine doesn't start, even though the starter motor turns? Engage first gear, turn key and hold as the starter motor drives the car forwards.

He told me it would damage stuff, but not nearly as much stuff as a train would!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 10:29   #6635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This reminds me of something that my father told me. You drive onto a railway crossing and stall. The engine doesn't start, even though the starter motor turns? Engage first gear, turn key and hold as the starter motor drives the car forwards.

He told me it would damage stuff, but not nearly as much stuff as a train would!
Great! Got the same advice few years ago from a pro too. At times, this can be life saving trick under your sleeve. It not 'life saving'; at least car saving!
Old 1st September 2014, 13:59   #6636
BHPian

The Hyundai Getz can't be cranked without depressing the clutch. So obviously this get-away trick can't be employed in this car.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:08   #6637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
The Hyundai Getz can't be cranked without depressing the clutch. So obviously this get-away trick can't be employed in this car.
Even my Vista Quadrajet. I guess all the newer cars starts with the clutch depressed. But it was sure a nice 'car saver' trick!

Last edited by man_of_steel : 1st September 2014 at 14:10.
Old 1st September 2014, 14:20   #6638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Great! Got the same advice few years ago from a pro too. At times, this can be life saving trick under your sleeve. It not 'life saving'; at least car saving!
Probably the best life-saving technique is to get out and run! Seriously, get the passengers out and well away from the track.

My Indian instructor told, at unmanned crossings, get out and feel the track for vibration. This could be a precursor to trying to save the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Ahhh... too much protection for our own good. I don't know about Polo. Don't really want to try. I have always pressed the clutch when starting: it is another Thad's Dad lesson!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:34   #6639
BHPian

Didn't know this "trick" too, however, am really hesitant to try it on my Polo. However, some days ago, my wife(a newbie driver) cranked it up in gear. There was a really loud knock. Scared, we thought that is the end of our Polo. Luckily, I am wiser now.

But it didn't start!
Old 1st September 2014, 17:58   #6640
Senior - BHPian

This is the Kamanahalli main road and believe it or not, these two cars have been left so on the road while the owners are buying kebabs!
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1409574454646.jpg  

Old 1st September 2014, 18:00   #6641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
This is the Kamanahalli main road and believe it or not, these two cars have been left so on the road while the owners are buying kebabs!
And that too, one on the wrong side of the road! Holds true to what they say- Common sense is not so common!
Old 1st September 2014, 18:37   #6642
BHPian

Last Friday, the traffic was sparse and was enjoying the rather peaceful drive when I saw something obnoxious.

There is this blue BMW ahead of me KA 03 MT XXXX and suddenly two heads pop out of the sunroof. I realize the signal was red, but then the signal turned green and the heads of the kids were still out! The guy kept driving ahead of me and the speeds hovered around 40-50. I later had to take a different route but the guy kept driving like that.

Question: Is this legal? It is definitely stupid though.

I was like At-least think about your kids!
Old 1st September 2014, 19:02   #6643
BHPian

Quote:
Worst part is there is a kid in the car! In most western countries this is an offence. When will these guys get educated is the biggest question that keeps haunting me
Old 1st September 2014, 19:04   #6644
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Last Friday, the traffic was sparse and was enjoying the rather peaceful drive when I saw something obnoxious.

There is this blue BMW ahead of me KA 03 MT XXXX and suddenly two heads pop out of the sunroof. I realize the signal was red, but then the signal turned green and the heads of the kids were still out! The guy kept driving ahead of me and the speeds hovered around 40-50. I later had to take a different route but the guy kept driving like that.

Question: Is this legal? It is definitely stupid though.

I was like At-least think about your kids!
I believe sunroof in Indian weather is not practically required in most scenarios. However still many cars are offered with Sunroof in their top variants. This feature is then used as a show off by allowing their kids to pop their heads out.
I have heard some prospective buyers complaining about lack of sunroof in a car, because their kids can't stand and show their heads off

I have seen many instances of this stupid and risky behaviour.

Regards,
JLS
Old 1st September 2014, 19:07   #6645
BHPian

Quote:
What drives me crazy is that in most cases there is usually curbside parking available if one is willing to walk 100-200 meters to the intended destination. But people feel the need to park right in front of where they need to go even if no parking is available.
People just do not care about inconvenience caused to others. The famous "chalta hai" attitude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks