Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 10:34   #6811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
If I get it right T-BHP stickers are available can be purchased by all
Ooh. I thought only members can buy them.

My bad.

But yes, I wonder what is worse. Driving after drinking or drinking while driving!
Old 9th October 2014, 12:32   #6812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Due to the recent crack down on all the government owned cars, you won't find a single car in Hyderabad which has a red sticker on the license plates. If any car is found in voilation of the law, the drivers are responsible for paying the challan amount.
Thats a real change, hope a similiar reform happens in TN as well.
Old 9th October 2014, 22:56   #6813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thats a real change, hope a similiar reform happens in TN as well.
When the rule was implemented in the undivided state of Andhra Pradesh, the RTO/Traffic departments targeted only the common people. But the state government cars, which most of the times carried high profile officers and some state ministers, were spared. No one dared to touch them for fear of action. It all started when people started posting the vehicles pictures on face book page of Hyderabad Traffic Police, that the state government woke up from sleep and cracked the whip.

That's what we call "People's Power."
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:05   #6814
BHPian

I'm adding this post under this section due to the reason that this person could be a potential "Bad Driver" considering the way he/she has parked without any regard for others.

Note: I have not smudged the car number on purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20141013_103240.jpg  

Old 13th October 2014, 12:48   #6815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I'm adding this post under this section due to the reason that this person could be a potential "Bad Driver" considering the way he/she has parked without any regard for others.

Note: I have not smudged the car number on purpose.
This reflects the callous attitude on the part of the driver. He/She is not worried about the amount of discomfiture caused to the other person.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:10   #6816
BHPian

So I was driving from a party on Saturday night. Was with family so completely sane and non drunk. I was driving on the Link road towards Dwarka. The top speed at the road is 50 kmph and its a three lane road. I must have been driving between 40-50 in the middle lane.

An XUV driver was hell bent on overtaking me from the left. The right side was moving fast and a lot of cars were going ahead from there. But I don't know what madness this guy had, he had to overtake from the left.

While the left lane was free too, there were occasional autos and cyclists that made this guy wait a bit. Frustrated he pushed the pedal.While overtaking he found a little bit of water accumulated on the road and imagine my horror, he forgot about a car like Storme on his right and tried to go right (at a fast speed) and that too to save his XUV from two inches of water. GOD!! I lost my patience man and I sped up a bit, kept my car in front of him for five long minutes not allowing him to go anywhere (on his speed at least). Then gave him way.

Such people forget about the cars running behind them or towards their right or left. Once there is an obstruction in front of them (in this case not even an obstruction) , they have to change their lanes without checking their rear view mirrors. May GOD give them some common sense.
Old 13th October 2014, 13:29   #6817
Team-BHP Support

Noticed an Audi Q7 being driven through the wrong side of a very busy 2-lane road here yesterday evening. Looks like he went ahead a bit farther on the road, realized that the stop was behind, reversed the SUV and drove through the same road with the emergency blinkers on; instead of taking a couple of U-turns.

People were giving weird stares at the guy. Really sad. Money can’t buy some basic driving sense and etiquette.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 14:01   #6818
Distinguished - BHPian

Took a walk yesterday evening, as I feared that if I left doing so any longer my legs might drop off! This nice thing happened...

I was walking on my right side of the ECR, ie facing oncoming traffic. Crossing a side road, I crossed the path of a cab driver trying to turn right (onto the wrong side of the road) to take a gap in the median which was only about 50-100m away (I could see it was tempting to do that). I stopped in front of him and gestured, but was certainly not up for a fight --- but as I walked on and looked back I saw a left-turning (from the main road) scooter person forcing him to make the correct left turn.

Hats off to the scooter driver!

(sorry about the left-right, wrong-right confusion!)
Old 13th October 2014, 14:43   #6819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
If I get it right T-BHP stickers are available can be purchased by all. And with those punch lines like "Live to Drive" etc., even the most heavy drunkard may have purchased one .
I think this is sending a really bad message with some people even commenting that 3 out of 5 people sporting TBHP stickers drive rash (mostly cities like Bangalore / Delhi). I am yet to a spot a car with TBHP sticker driven rashly in Pune as "all" of these cars were seen driven sanely. In fact, a black Ford Figo with LTD sticker that I saw on the 10th was being driven at a leisurely 25kph on Bavdhan road where people fly low with complete lack of regards to road safety.

I hope the mods would do something to restrict the sale of stickers to members only. Apologies if this has been already discussed, but just my opinion.
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 15:27   #6820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Noticed an Audi Q7 being driven through the wrong side of a very busy 2-lane road here yesterday evening. Looks like he went ahead a bit farther on the road, realized that the stop was behind, reversed the SUV and drove through the same road with the emergency blinkers on; instead of taking a couple of U-turns.

People were giving weird stares at the guy. Really sad. Money can’t buy some basic driving sense and etiquette.
I have seen such Luxury cars being driven rashly, insanely and it makes me wonder how can someone who can buy such an expensive car and drive like this while i drive my humble Dzire like a Rolls Royce

8/10 times when I have seen such luxury cars being driven rashly - they were all driven by drivers .

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 13th October 2014 at 15:29.
Old 13th October 2014, 19:15   #6821
Team-BHP Support

The proportion of 'rich people who love their exotic cars' Vs 'rich idiots who'll just buy another if they crash their current ride' is increasingly skewing towards the latter category, for various reasons. I've lost count of the number of times I've missed an expensive car by inches or millimeters because the driver went for a gap only his car's grunt could get him through, other road users be damned.

I remember times from not so long ago when a majority of expensive cars on our roads would be driven (rather babied) with care and were a sight to behold rolling along. I was excited as a youngster to smile, wave or just give the driver a gesture of appreciation for his ride. Today I just feel like flipping the finger, and it's not because I'm jealous of the person driving it, I pity the poor machine for silently suffering the idiot manhandling it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th October 2014 at 19:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 19:52   #6822
BHPian

A big annoyance this afternoon. I was returning after some post-office work at 1500. Having reached the southern end of Lansdowne Road I was on the left lane to turn left into Southern Avenue and behind a public bus that was slowly dawdling while picking up people (a bus stop is very badly placed immediately before the signal, almost at par with the zebra crossing). The signal turned orange but the bus didnt care much since maybe the driver was already past the stop sign. I did not have that luxury, leisurely slowed to a halt some inches before the stop sign and switched off the ignition for the 2 minute wait. Meanwhile the Indica behind me started to honk non-stop as if to suggest I should take a "free" left. I rolled down my window and pointed to the signal with an outstretched hand but he was having none of it. He asked a man at the bus stop to direct me to go left and very reluctantly the man approached me; I, of course, told him that the signal was red and there was no way I was going to move. Next the driver asked the poor man to tell me to move my car forward so he could squeeze through and turn but again I refused. Infuriated the driver kept the horn depressed for the remaining 20-25 seconds with no thought for the two dozen folks waiting for a bus, not including yours truly. When the green arrow came on, I turned left and wisely stayed in the left lane to enable this psycho to burn rubber and overtake me with a vengeance ... or at least as much vengeance as an Indica diesel can manage.

Needless to say, a Kolkata road is a great equaliser and by the end of Southern Avenue we were both stuck at the same signal. This kind of behaviour is, however, a major irritant and I have seen vehicles as well as bystanders barracking scrupulous drivers into taking all sorts of free turns despite signals to the contrary.

Last edited by Kumar R : 13th October 2014 at 19:54.
Old 13th October 2014, 20:02   #6823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
After a long time (I guess a week, bike effect ) I took the car to work today and had my BP shooting up. This happened on the Lower Agaram Road, near Infant Jesus church, after taking the right going towards Richmond road, there was a ambulance some 5 cars behind wanting a way through, so I put the left indicator and moved to the side. For people who know this road, its a narrow 2 lane road and if 1 car stops to the side there is hardly any space left, however, the moronic Innova behind me started honking like crazy urging me to keep going or to give him way, finally a few 100 yards ahead I found some space to let him squeeze through. This guy should have also stopped to the left side to give way to the ambulance but no he went ahead.

I remembered the video that was doing the rounds in FB about people not giving way to ambulance. This fellow was the classic example.

The only silver lining was that the cars behind this moron stopped to the left side giving way to the ambulance.
Well I can't be sure, but the guy on the innova might have been a relative to the patient inside the ambulance or he might have been guiding the ambulance to some place, sometimes ambulance drivers struggle to find address in emergency situations.
Old 13th October 2014, 21:38   #6824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Well I can't be sure, but the guy on the innova might have been a relative to the patient inside the ambulance or he might have been guiding the ambulance to some place, sometimes ambulance drivers struggle to find address in emergency situations.
Even assuming your 'relative in pilot car' theory is true, the right thing to do in such a situation is to get IN the ambulance and help with navigation.

There's no way for other road users or traffic cops to know if such a vehicle is a pilot car trying to help or just an opportunistic moron, so he'll actually do the patient a huge favor by NOT playing pilot navigator. Not to mention an 'engaged' ambulance enjoys certain traffic privileges that won't extend to an accompanying vehicle. No advantage whichever way you look at it, and can actually cause critical delays if the vehicle gets into an incident while playing pilot.
Old 13th October 2014, 21:53   #6825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even assuming your 'relative in pilot car' theory is true, the right thing to do in such a situation is to get IN the ambulance and help with navigation.

There's no way for other road users or traffic cops to know if such a vehicle is a pilot car trying to help or just an opportunistic moron, so he'll actually do the patient a huge favor by NOT playing pilot navigator. Not to mention an 'engaged' ambulance enjoys certain traffic privileges that won't extend to an accompanying vehicle. No advantage whichever way you look at it, and can actually cause critical delays if the vehicle gets into an incident while playing pilot.
I agree with all your points, but its not so possible to think with such a clear logic during emergency situation. Such things should be clearly avoided no doubt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks