Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2014, 08:25   #7081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

And this isn't something tbhp can't use its influence with auto manufacturers, especially Tata, to fix?

Badly maintained office cabs and call taxis putting dents in our vehicles is an old and disgusting trend. And bundling side mirrors as extra accessories is just asking for already careless drivers not to buy or use them.
Old 26th December 2014, 19:29   #7082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And this isn't something tbhp can't use its influence with auto manufacturers, especially Tata, to fix?

Badly maintained office cabs and call taxis putting dents in our vehicles is an old and disgusting trend. And bundling side mirrors as extra accessories is just asking for already careless drivers not to buy or use them.
IMHO, nobody can influence people who run business Please correct me if my opinion is wrong.

And yes, most of the manufacturers sell the left mirror as an accessory - on the base variant of course.., and not all variants as far as I remember during inquiries.

But I still remember one of the Honda Two Wheeler showrooms in Mysore used to sell the brake light bulb, both the mirrors and the indicator assembly as accessories on the Honda Unicorn during 2007-08. But thankfully enough, they never used to sell those bikes without the customer getting those accessories fit. Business tactics!
Old 27th December 2014, 12:13   #7083
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1419662516.644683.jpg

Bad Parker of the day...in Bangalore yesterday. Pic courtesy Madhu Menon via Facebook.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2014, 12:51   #7084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Attachment 1322238

Bad Parker of the day...in Bangalore yesterday. Pic courtesy Madhu Menon via Facebook.
Ah, you know madman as well, on fb. Saw it and was about to post it but you beat me to it.

Also - www.youparklikean*******.com has a lot more such geniuses.
Old 27th December 2014, 19:54   #7085
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Oh is that an actual site? I thought he was being his usual sarcastic self
Old 27th December 2014, 20:08   #7086
Senior - BHPian

They give you a pdf saying that, which they tell you to print out, put under the wipers of the offending vehicle, and upload a photo to their site. Kind of fighting dumb behavior with equally dumb behavior if you ask me.
Old 27th December 2014, 22:05   #7087
Senior - BHPian

I come across a few bad drivers every time I take my car out of my lane (or even if Im in someone else's car) I live in Juhu in the last lane after SNDT where the road curves to the right towards Juhu Chowpatty. Imagine it as a a sort of T junction where the bottom and right side of the T is the main road and the left is my little lane. If I come out of my lane and want to head towards Juhu, then its all good, I can keep driving straight. If however I want to drive towards Bandra then that id when the Bad Drivers are encountered. I need to get out of my lane and take a right. For some reason the cars just refuse to slow down or go around the back of the car and in any single instance, the closer I get to the bend, atleast 2-3 cars cut across the front of mine and drive on the opposite side of the road to get ahead of me ! Is there any reason why people just cant slow down or stop for someone ? Its not just when I am driving FYI in case you guys think Im tackling the crossing wrong
Old 27th December 2014, 22:35   #7088
Senior - BHPian

Not just you. Two wheeler riders are worse than cars in this respect because they can squeeze by narrow spaces where even the usual indica driving maniac taxi driver would hesitate.

Some months back, when at a t junction I tried to turn right, this guy on a motorcycle tried to overtake and zoom past when I was turning into the right - with indicator on, and halfway through my turn. He miscalculated, slammed on his brakes and fell - luckily, missing my car and not denting it or coming under my wheels.

He got up and started to bang on my window trying to get me to pay for it. I was about to park and get down to argue when an auto driver who was watching it all yelled at him, told him it was his own stupidity that caused it, and that he should just be grateful he wasn't in hospital, and that my car was undamaged.

The guy slunk off with his tail between his legs after that
Old 28th December 2014, 07:22   #7089
Senior - BHPian

Social media campaigns can sometimes change the direction of a business. Especially as this is a clear safety issue and many people, not just bhpians, will have their own horror story of a cab driver who drove rashly and didn't have mirrors fitted (if they weren't bashed in, in an accident, or folded inwards to reduce the chance of damage). Especially the traffic police fb pages of various cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
IMHO, nobody can influence people who run business Please correct me if my opinion is wrong.

And yes, most of the manufacturers sell the left mirror as an accessory - on the base variant of course.., and not all variants as far as I remember during inquiries.

But I still remember one of the Honda Two Wheeler showrooms in Mysore used to sell the brake light bulb, both the mirrors and the indicator assembly as accessories on the Honda Unicorn during 2007-08. But thankfully enough, they never used to sell those bikes without the customer getting those accessories fit. Business tactics!
Old 28th December 2014, 11:30   #7090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Social media campaigns can sometimes change the direction of a business. Especially as this is a clear safety issue
First and foremost, if those who run the business have any ethics at all, they should fit the mirrors on both sides irrespective of the variant. Cars are sold for lakhs and not thousands. I wonder why the business stoops to such cheap levels when it comes to making a few more hundreds My point here is, do we really need a social media campaign and outburst for these? Are these not the basics? Makes me think.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid typing...like...this... Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st December 2014 at 14:37.
Old 28th December 2014, 12:25   #7091
BHPian

Before making air bags and ABS compulsory government should insist on ORVMs as a safety feature which is comparatively cheaper and makes more sense. I think it's stupid having ABS and air bags but no ORVMs.
rev_rohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 14:05   #7092
Senior - BHPian

There is another thread on tbhp which points out that airtel is facing a lot of social media heat for trying to charge for VoIP. Some similar campaign might get govt to introduce safety and licensing rules for cars to be declared roadworthy only if both orvms are fitted and present
Old 29th December 2014, 00:19   #7093
Senior - BHPian

Encountered this extreme case of insanity, white Renault Fluence, KA-02-MH-7848 on 25th Dec, somewhere before Krishnagiri on NH-7:

It's worth mentioning that all such heroics did not take him any further ahead than a car length or two from other normal people on the highway.

If this person is known to anybody in the forum, please advise him/her to stay away from vehicles. I wish such specimens find their way into formaldehyde jars before they reproduce. The medical community can learn a lot about insanely dangerous life forms, and the world will see one less strain of imbeciles.
silversteed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 07:02   #7094
Senior - BHPian

He is driving like a cab driver - i was driving on nh45 the other day, with a huge concrete mixer truck slightly ahead . Idiot behind me in a travels sumo overtook me from the left, cut between me and the truck and then overtook the truck. Essentially more-or-less drew a z on the road.
Old 29th December 2014, 07:22   #7095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Encountered this extreme case of insanity, white Renault Fluence, KA-02-MH-7848 on 25th Dec, somewhere before Krishnagiri on NH-7:
Urban driving characteristics extended to the highways as well.

Except that in the city it costs a dent repair and a side view mirror, in the highways it costs a limb or two and maybe the whole car too.
ramzsys is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks