Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 13:07   #7126
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Multiple spottings to report.

Yesterday, met an idiot in a beige Santro balancing a toddler in his lap with one arm, a phone in the other and driving like there's no tomorrow. The kid's mother (presumably) in the passenger seat was giving the kid and dad appreciative looks for their acrobatics, while chattering away on her own phone. 'No seat belts' goes without saying.

Today on the way to work around noon, two ladies in a PY-registered Sea Grey Figo, standing at the HSR layout signal waiting to take a right, suddenly change their mind and barge into the open left lane without a care in the world. My cabbie slammed his brakes and missed them by millimeters, and a bus behind us missed us by even less.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2015 at 13:08.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 15:45   #7127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I still ride my bike however make it a point to follow the rules I learnt a long time ago. I just do not get the attitude they have these days.
I salute you and your fellow riders who drive slowly, sanely and safe. There are a few of you guys left, and I am always pleased to see it.

I do not ride anything with two wheels, but I think the good bikers must notice even more that is wrong with the bad ones than I do. One thing is the way they treat each other. I have seen bikers just ride straight into another biker, as if they were pedestrians expecting a simple sidestep.

Unfortunately, with bikes being used as family transport, riders have both misplaced confidence and the worst of habits right from earliest age.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 13:51   #7128
Senior - BHPian

TN-02-AK-8?77 honking incessantly won't make the vehicles in front of you disappear. Your best bet is to wait for them to move.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420532283.048346.jpg

KA-51-MC-7560 when someone has committed to join your lane after providing indication, allow them to join the lane. Honking loudly and gunning through a non-existing space is not cool (lemme know if you want me to provide the footage).

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420532348.889421.jpg

Guess what - both vehicles have Team-BHP stickers
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 15:00   #7129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
TN-02-AK-8?77 honking incessantly won't make the vehicles in front of you disappear. Your best bet is to wait for them to move.

KA-51-MC-7560 when someone has committed to join your lane after providing indication, allow them to join the lane.(lemme know if you want me to provide the footage).

Guess what - both vehicles have Team-BHP stickers
Haha! You nailed them with proof. Now, do they dare to come to you for footage? Very disappointed to see cars with TBHP stickers behaving badly on the road.
Old 6th January 2015, 15:38   #7130
BHPian

Is he a good driver ? Or bad ? Or both ? Judge for yourself.

I took a hired Innova from Varanasi to Gaya. The driver was a middle aged man with his own philosophy of driving. His driving was like this
  • He never crossed 80 kmph, even on open stretches of NH2. His theory was that on an Indian road, anything could come from anywhere at anytime and therefore speeds over 80 kmph was suicidal
  • He drove bang in the middle of the two lane side of the dual carriageway. He watched his mirrors all the time and when anybody wanted to overtake, he would give way, but then come back to the middle of the road straddling both the lanes. His logic was that he was giving himself maximum room to evade whoever or whatever darted in from either side
  • He never wore his seatbelt despite my entreaties.
  • He never got irritated at the idiots and morons on the road. Nothing disturbed his composure which was Buddha like (very appropriate considering we were going to Gaya).
  • He honked all the time; never overtaking without a vigorous honk, much to my irritation
  • He was constantly using his turn signals, but in the "Indian highway mode". The signal was meant to the guy behind that he could overtake on that side and not that he himself was turning there
  • He would not eat anything on the way on the logic that he was minimising his chances of drowsiness.
The guy managed to intrigue me, irritate me, exasperate me and make me feel reasonably safe, all at the same time !
Secretariat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 16:10   #7131
Senior - BHPian

Except for the seatbelt he was driving in the safest possible manner for indian highways. And yes a heavy meal after a lot of driving will definitely make you drowsy.
Old 6th January 2015, 16:13   #7132
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Very disappointed to see cars with TBHP stickers behaving badly on the road.
I have seen plenty of them unfortunately. From breaking signals, to excessive honking to doing stunts. Many of them "Live to drive", but don't drive well enough to live
Old 6th January 2015, 23:18   #7133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And yes a heavy meal after a lot of driving will definitely make you drowsy.
A heavy meal can always make a person drowsy: biology does it, transferring resources to digestion etc.

Not eating can mean the body does not have sufficient fuel, and that can be just as bad. I am also, just now, forming a theory that I am both irritable and aggressive when low on blood sugar. I got the idea from someone who is into nutrition and said that low blood sugar makes him prone to anger, and thought, "Hmmm... could that be me too?"

The answer is sensible light eating
Old 7th January 2015, 00:27   #7134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Yes, light eating and lot of water (H2O) will keep the body refreshed.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 7th January 2015 at 00:31.
Old 7th January 2015, 06:58   #7135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A heavy meal can always make a person drowsy: biology does it, transferring resources to digestion etc.

Not eating can mean the body does not have sufficient fuel, and that can be just as bad. I am also, just now, forming a theory that I am both irritable and aggressive when low on blood sugar. I got the idea from someone who is into nutrition and said that low blood sugar makes him prone to anger, and thought, "Hmmm... could that be me too?"

While driving it is better to avoid food with high ghee content like pongal that can induce drowsiness.
Old 7th January 2015, 07:30   #7136
BHPian

I think sleep during long drives is due to many factors, including boredom, lack of fresh air, heavy meals and lack of sound sleep before journey. It might not be actual sleep per se, sometimes it is a kind of daydreaming state where you sleep with your eyes open.
Old 7th January 2015, 07:45   #7137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Yes, light eating and lot of water (H2O) will keep the body refreshed.
And then spend quite some time holding in an urgent urge to pee if you prefer not hiding behind a bush to do your business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
I think sleep during long drives is due to many factors, including boredom, lack of fresh air, heavy meals and lack of sound sleep before journey. It might not be actual sleep per se, sometimes it is a kind of daydreaming state where you sleep with your eyes open.
Agreed. That is a dangerous condition and it is exactly how most accidents happen. How does one avoid getting into that state on a long, monotonous highway drive?
Old 7th January 2015, 08:08   #7138
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. That is a dangerous condition and it is exactly how most accidents happen. How does one avoid getting into that state on a long, monotonous highway drive?
Following things work for me:
Having an interesting partner by your side.
Always keep fresh airflow into the car.
Punjabi music.
Small breaks for a cup of tea or coffee.
Old 7th January 2015, 08:37   #7139
Senior - BHPian

Two bad ones, a wagon R blocking the free left path and an Eeco waiting on the wrong track for the signal to turn green.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad1.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th January 2015 at 08:40.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:30   #7140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
Following things work for me:
Having an interesting partner by your side.
Always keep fresh airflow into the car.
Punjabi music.
Small breaks for a cup of tea or coffee.
I tend to lose concentration when I have someone to engage in conversation with - miss turnoffs and such. I prefer not to multitask.

And I generally play soothing carnatic music or "road anthems" (nat king cole's get your kicks on route 66) - saves my blood pressure from the subject of this thread. I have to be careful when driving with my 3 year old lest he pick up obscenities I mutter under my breath when I run into a more than usually dumb motorist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks