Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 12:41   #7201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

gabrielthomas, you are absolutely right. The popular media should be in the front line of the fight for road safety, but the situation (as far as my brief glances see. I'm not a cinema/film person) is the exact opposite.

In some other countries there are even laws (which are enforced and obeyed) about the portrayal of smoking in cinema and TV. No more do we see the hero reinforcing his masculinity by exhaling a cloud of smoke, or the seductive heroine sucking on her phalic cigarette and puffing the smoke invitingly into the face of said hero.

All that stuff was a massive boost to the tobacco industry, just as deBeers, with the film and music industries, created the "tradition" of the western, diamond engagement ring. "This is fiction" does not escape the legal liability.

Industry and the film worlds know the power and value of product placement and suggestion.

As I said, I don't watch movies, but I'd be astonished if either the hero are the villain wore helmets on their bikes. But the young guys will be impressed by both and seek to emulate them.

The film industry has the power. Is it interested in public safety or in box-office receipts and the glamour-brand value of its stars? The answer is sadly obvious.

(This post has been brought to you by Thad Rants inc. )
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 08:40   #7202
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Indica taxi. Driver's seat replaced by a barber's chair that is barely six inches from the car roof. And the rear view mirror is partially blocked by a battery operated fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20150122_042259.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2015, 07:58   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely. There is no reason for pedestrians to cross at any more than their usual walking speed. It's only a few seconds of waiting time for drivers.

However, there is plenty of bad pedestrianing that I rant about!

Examples include:

---Wandering across roads in fast moving traffic, appearing not to care even for their own safety......
Add to this, talking on cell phone while crossing road, unmindful of traffic, or simply stopping in tracks while reacting to the words of the person at the other end... the list goes on.

Having said this, vehicle drivers should give preference to allow pedestrians cross the road. After all, what it takes is easing off on throttle, a tap on brake pedal.
Old 24th January 2015, 18:27   #7204
Senior - BHPian

@Simplyself, Thad and others: I let pedestrians cross the road most of the time. Times i dont are when i see tailgating vehicles behind me.

That said, when i cross roads, i make it a point to cross as fast as possible in a straight line irrespective of the fact if its on a zebra crossing or otherwise.

If someone is letting you cross when no one else did, the least you can do is walk fast since i know asking them to say thanks is way overboard :P

Anyways, govt vehicle trying to hit me at the beginning of an uphill stretch:

deathwalkr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 09:11   #7205
Senior - BHPian

Epitome of this thread, I believe!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img20150127wa0011.jpg

( pic sent by my friend. )
schakravarthy is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:18   #7206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

( pic sent by my friend. )
Just when you think you have seen it all on Indian roads, something like this crops up

No scene, however bizarre, is unexpected on Indian roads.

Other day, I saw a guy alighting from car bang in the middle of road on Western Express Highway in Mumbai (after Oberoi mall for those who are familiar with the road). Not to say that I have not seen passengers boarding / alighting on the edge of the flyovers. But, the scene was too much even for a hardened Mumbai driver like myself. It was so freaking stupid that I broke into resigned laughter (did not outrage me)
Old 27th January 2015, 15:34   #7207
Senior - BHPian

This is in China but so many similar examples in India as well. Bus tried to go into a street that had a height barrier.

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/01/27/1-...er-tianjin.php
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-busbarrier2.jpg  

Old 27th January 2015, 15:53   #7208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But part of my brain can't help thinking that this is not such a bad idea.

Yes...

Old 27th January 2015, 16:53   #7209
D C
BHPian

Quote:

Yes...

A good idea for them, just bad for everyone else on the road

That would seriously impact other two wheelers, as it is hard to notice the trolley and people don't normally expect a trolley behind a two-wheeler! It may also cause serious trouble if the driver, for a second, forgets that his/her pillion is dragging a trolley behind.

Last edited by D C : 27th January 2015 at 16:57.
Old 27th January 2015, 17:00   #7210
BHPian

A good driver never strays from the LHS of the road even when turning right. This is the basic rule of driving. Most drivers turn right in such a way that the person approaching the crossing on his right side has to stop and allow him to turn. Why should an oncoming vehicle stop for you to make a right turn. The technique is you have to turn the steering full right as you approach the centre of the crossroads but most drivers feel lazy to turn the steering enough and end up partially on the wrong side of the road. I have yet to come across a driver who can make a right turn the correct way.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 17:15   #7211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes...

Yes, Thad! That's a clever idea indeed! I asked a couple of people who are supposed to be experts in this field and even they seemed to concur!

Here's one of them!

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-varrpi9.jpg
schakravarthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 17:33   #7212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
A good driver never strays from the LHS of the road even when turning right. This is the basic rule of driving. Most drivers turn right in such a way that the person approaching the crossing on his right side has to stop and allow him to turn.
I agree with your point. In fact, I had posted about this earlier on this thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
My pet peeve - people taking right turns by cutting across lanes.
The wrong way of taking a right turn: Cut across opposing traffic lanes. You run the risk of having a head-on collision with people who are legally entitled to take a free left in these cases.
Attachment 1308604
The correct way of taking a right turn: Turn right only after reaching the lane that you want to be in (i.e. the lane that you will be in after a successful turn).
Attachment 1308605
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:29   #7213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
A good idea for them, just bad for everyone else on the road
Honestly, I think the thing with the wheely case would be great at walking speed, on a quiet back street. In the situation shown, yes, it is madness.
Old 28th January 2015, 00:42   #7214
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah that's the height of stupidity. People like these are habitual offenders. The suitcase can easily ruin the balance of the scooter if it hits a pothole or something lying on the road. Both not wearing helmets too.
Old 28th January 2015, 02:56   #7215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Add to this, talking on cell phone while crossing road, unmindful of traffic,
This is bad enough, but what is even more worse is those wandering about with earphones plugged in and walking in a zombie state! No point in even honking. Can never understand why this much of fascination is there for listening to music, even at grave risk to one's life!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks