Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2015, 04:13   #7216
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepak K Gupta View Post
A good driver never strays from the LHS of the road even when turning right. This is the basic rule of driving. Most drivers turn right in such a way that the person approaching the crossing on his right side has to stop and allow him to turn. I have yet to come across a driver who can make a right turn the correct way.
Well said Deepak. Bikes and cars just keep popping out in front of you, especially at blind corners. And the best part is that they stare at you as if you are on the wrong side of the road, and blocking their path.
And then there is the motorcyclist, who in spite of seeing your right indicator flashing, will overtake you just at the turn, and when you are entering the next lane, or with your left indicator flashing, will squeeze in between you and the compound wall when you turn left.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 06:51   #7217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
This is bad enough, but what is even more worse is those wandering about with earphones plugged in and walking in a zombie state! No point in even honking. Can never understand why this much of fascination is there for listening to music, even at grave risk to one's life!
Those morons are not worried about their lives. It is WE who should be worried about their lives. Sad but true.
Old 28th January 2015, 18:47   #7218
Senior - BHPian

Dashcam bandit is at it again:

Honda city turning right at a junction without any indicator of course. Looked like he wanted to take a u turn, then changed his mind went ahead and then decided he did after all want to take that turn. So promptly decides to take a wide turn without any indicator or indication whatsoever.

The poor biker was last seen shaking his head in wonder

deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2015, 20:21   #7219
BHPian

Spotted a Bad driver and a Bad Parent today. He was on a Splendor ahead of me and I was on my bike. Just as I was about to overtake, I noticed both of his hands off the handle bar. When I overtook him, I saw a small girl maybe 6-7 years old seated in front of him near the petrol tank riding the bike . This guy who was wearing his full face helmet, (the chin guard on the forehead!!) was looking proud.
Just after I went through a curve, I looked in the rear view mirror to see if he has taken over the controls - Nope!!
I was dumbfounded but this utter disregard for his own, the child's and other road users safety. What if she jams the front brakes or accelerates hard or turns the handle quickly - I shudder to think!!

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 29th January 2015 at 20:22. Reason: typos
Mahesh Prasad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 11:41   #7220
BHPian

Another set of bad drivers are those who drive at insane speeds inside society/office premises. I shudder to think what will happen if a child or anyone else pops up into the path of such maniacs !

Just the other day I scolded an auto rickshaw driver. On a blind turn in our society, he popped up in speed right in front of my car. I was driving @20kmph as usual and even though I could stop easily, he had to stand on his brake pedal.

As I scolded him, saying that it is a society and he should slow down, he sheepishly kept smiling and nodding his head. I was also wondering as to why did the passenger lady not tell him to slow down inside the society premises.

While on this topic, let me also rant a bit on the people walking their kids. The kids (being kids) tend to walk right in the middle of the road. Their parents (if they are not chatting away on their mobiles), even after noticing that a car is approaching them, take no efforts to pick or take the child's hand and guide him/her to safety.

Sometimes I have had to wait for some minutes and then finally sound the horn for the parent to take notice. Now I am very patient with people walking on the road and try to keep my honking to a bare minimum but such behaviour just drives me nuts !
luvDriving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 11:57   #7221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
When I overtook him, I saw a small girl maybe 6-7 years old seated in front of him near the petrol tank riding the bike . This guy who was wearing his full face helmet, (the chin guard on the forehead!!) was looking proud.
On the similar lines, I happened to see bad rider and pillion yesterday. It was not triple-ride, but quadruple-ride and the main rider was sitting on the petrol tank of the Hero-Honda Splendor (that's what I think it was...) and was taking a U-Turn at Corporation Circle (one of the major junctions at Bangalore, filled with hell lot of traffic). None of them had a helmet. I can't even imagine how he managed to ride with 3 other people sitting behind on a bike! (You may exclaim that it is a common sight at some places, but these guys were quite well built)
Old 30th January 2015, 13:20   #7222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
This guy who was wearing his full face helmet, (the chin guard on the forehead!!)
Can someone explain the logic behind this? See many guys wearing helmets like that.

Couple more captures from dashcam today:

1) When flashing has begun to substitute indicators

2) Autos never fail to surprise me:

deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 14:27   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Can someone explain the logic behind this? See many guys wearing helmets like that.
We wear helmets for not getting fined by cops.
This can be accomplished in various ways:
1. Hanging the helmet on the RVMs.
2. Hanging the helmet on your wrist.
3. Wearing it only on the forehead.
4. Keeping the helmet on the tank etc.

Once you enter the cop zone, you easily wear your helmet. For this purpose, #3 is the easiest!
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 18:36   #7224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Another set of bad drivers are those who drive at insane speeds inside society/office premises.......
This is becoming far too common these days. Met one such 'driver' yesterday. The approach to basement parking at my workplace crosses by a couple of pedestrian walkways. Here I was, trundling along in the three-wide (including a parking lane) approach road to the basement when the big guy in a flash car came charging up behind, honking and flashing like crazy while I stopped for a couple of pedestrians to hop over. This guy lost patience; revved up, dumped the clutch and barged past me on the left with inches to spare, narrowly missing a third pedestrian who was obscured by a dustbin ahead to my right.

He waited for me in the parking lot, and went "Are you crazy, driving at crawling speeds and stopping in the middle of the road for pedestrians? I nearly ran one guy over because you were blocking my line-of-sight".

Me: "Crazy, who me? It's an office campus not a highway, crawling speeds is the 'posted limit', and we are 'required' to stop for pedestrians. And you nearly ripped my bumper off and ran that guy over because you were driving like your bum was on fire, not because I was in the way. Bugger off!"

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th January 2015 at 18:39. Reason: Grammar
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 18:52   #7225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
On the similar lines, I happened to see bad rider and pillion yesterday. It was not triple-ride, but quadruple-ride and the main rider was sitting on the petrol tank of the Hero-Honda Splendor (that's what I think it was...) and was taking a U-Turn at Corporation Circle (one of the major junctions at Bangalore, filled with hell lot of traffic). None of them had a helmet. I can't even imagine how he managed to ride with 3 other people sitting behind on a bike! (You may exclaim that it is a common sight at some places, but these guys were quite well built)
On these notes, I sheepishly admit that I was a bad driver few years back. Way in 2006 me and my friends used to do this quadruple rides on my yamaha. I really feel bad for doing all those gimmicks now
gabrielthomas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2015, 23:07   #7226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
On these notes, I sheepishly admit that I was a bad driver few years back. I really feel bad for doing all those gimmicks now
You are not alone my friend, let me as well admit that I "have been" a bad bad rider in the past which atleast dates back to 2002, everyone knows how notorious the 2 wheeler mechanic are while riding the bikes, my good friend who is a mechanic gets scared riding as a pillion with me

BUT, I always wore a full face helmet "properly" with the strap on even when I was riding a "TVS Champ".

Things got changed, more sane mind prevails now, no more bad riding / driving, probably, this is what age / experience brings in to us.
balajird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 07:35   #7227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Couple more captures from dashcam today:

1) When flashing has begun to substitute indicators
Ah. A very common sight involving autos and buses. I record these everyday and if I had to post it here, it would be like a movie (never-ending)

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 25th April 2015 at 22:54. Reason: site = sight
Old 31st January 2015, 09:10   #7228
Senior - BHPian

Flashing is more like 'you had better pull over to the side and let me pass' isn't it? Don't often see it substituting for a turn indicator.
Old 31st January 2015, 09:52   #7229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Flashing is more like 'you had better pull over to the side and let me pass' isn't it? Don't often see it substituting for a turn indicator.
Exactly!! But here in our country flashing means "Hey Dude, Get off my way, Now!!".

Be it overtaking and slowing or pushing opposite traffic down or driving in opposite direction on a one way road.
Old 31st January 2015, 10:15   #7230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ah. A very common site involving autos and buses. I record these everyday and if I had to post it here, it would be like a movie (never-ending)
This is what scares me. Are we becoming immune to smaller errors like this just because they have become common? At this rate manufacturers may stop placing indicators on cars saving on costs and saying no one uses them anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yep which is what surprised me and hope it does not start becoming the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Exactly!! But here in our country flashing means "Hey Dude, Get off my way, Now!!".

Be it overtaking and slowing or pushing opposite traffic down or driving in opposite direction on a one way road.
Indeed. Can't you see i flashed???!!!

Check out this video captured last night. Stop to let a couple of pedestrians cross at a zebra crossing. Foreigner lady almost gets a heart attack when a biker does not even slow down much less stop to let them cross the last few feet!

Seriously how hard can it be to slow down or stop for a few seconds?!

Have begun to notice that drivers behind you have no sense of patience whatsoever. If i stop or slow down because of blocks in front or zebra crossings or whatever genuine reason i might have had, people behind hate to drop a gear, slow down or heaven forbid stop behind me. Instead they will take to the right or the left and if possible over me!

Last edited by deathwalkr : 31st January 2015 at 10:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks