Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2015, 19:40   #7261
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

I actually spotted one and saw the consequence of rash driving.

Happened yesterday evening.

A biker without helmet zipped past me at great speed and went on to hit a dog crossing the road.

The video is not great but you can see the biker zip past me at 19:29:46. The biker hit the dog (at a distance from me) at about 19:29:55. Bike skidded for few meters with sparks on the road.

The dog died and the biker got away with bruises. Miracle that nothing happened to the biker and that too when not wearing the helmet.

Last edited by Traveller Nayak : 11th February 2015 at 19:43. Reason: language and time stamp correction
Traveller Nayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 13:26   #7262
Team-BHP Support

At the choked Hosmat Junction (due to concreting work towards Victoria Road), a lady riding a scooter pulls up in the narrow gap next to my car. Well-dressed, IT firm backpack, no helmet. Tries to get ahead in vain as the wing mirror is blocking her way, but she gives it a couple of nudges anyway. I give her a questioning look and she begins to back up. Assuming better sense prevailed, I roll down the window to adjust the mirror back into position and what do I see? The lady has backed up a few feet only to wring the throttle and barge her way through. "Yes M'Lady, that's what you should do, why wait with the commoners when you can knock obstacles out of your way!".A fraction of a second on my part and she would've taken my left hand with her. God bless mirrors that twist the wrong way without breaking.

I almost said something but bit my tongue, re-adjusted the scratched mirror casing and rolled the window back up. Scum like her make it really difficult not to descend to their level sometimes.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 19:00   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
At the choked Hosmat Junction (due to concreting work towards Victoria Road), a lady riding a scooter pulls up in the narrow gap next to my car. Well-dressed, IT firm backpack, no helmet. Tries to get ahead in vain as the wing mirror is blocking her way, but she gives it a couple of nudges anyway. I give her a questioning look and she begins to back up. Assuming better sense prevailed, I roll down the window to adjust the mirror back into position and what do I see? The lady has backed up a few feet only to wring the throttle and barge her way through. "Yes M'Lady, that's what you should do, why wait with the commoners when you can knock obstacles out of your way!".A fraction of a second on my part and she would've taken my left hand with her. God bless mirrors that twist the wrong way without breaking.

I almost said something but bit my tongue, re-adjusted the scratched mirror casing and rolled the window back up. Scum like her make it really difficult not to descend to their level sometimes.
Mate, I cannot agree more as many of us go through similar experiences everyday. I've become extremely touchy about my mirrors now! Unfortunately such people have lost their civic sense. So called MBAs, Engineers and what not, go ballistic when on road. My drive home every single day 18kms is horrific. I reach work and home hot headed every day!
Old 16th February 2015, 20:12   #7264
Team-BHP Support

Meet Mr. "I'm driving a police car so I'll drive however I want". White Bolero, reg# KA-01-G-1102(may have got those mixed up a bit).

The idiot nearly side-swiped me into the median twice in 100 meters near the Leela Palace junction trying to cut into my lane, and then did the same to two vehicles ahead (including an ambulance turning into Manipal Hospital at the next junction, where I clicked this pic), before swerving dangerously across a BMTC Volvo that nearly caused a pile-up (he did the swerving, not me).

His traffic offense count was in double digits in the 2 minutes he spent in my vicinity.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150212_222901.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th February 2015 at 20:15.
Old 16th February 2015, 20:30   #7265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
I actually spotted one and saw the consequence of rash driving.

Happened yesterday evening.

A biker without helmet zipped past me at great speed and went on to hit a dog crossing the road.

The video is not great but you can see the biker zip past me at 19:29:46. The biker hit the dog (at a distance from me) at about 19:29:55. Bike skidded for few meters with sparks on the road.

The dog died and the biker got away with bruises. Miracle that nothing happened to the biker and that too when not wearing the helmet.
disagree here. the accident isnt really due to rash driving. The biker was rash - he was riding much faster than his headlights would allow!

Dogs often die on the highway in such circumstances only - being unseen till the last minute, esp as they emerge from the bushes. Hard to clearly lay the blame at one party's side.
Old 17th February 2015, 00:36   #7266
Distinguished - BHPian

Family-on-a-bike, in the street near my house...

Eldest son, sitting in front of Dad, who was driving, was taller than Dad, who had no view straight ahead at all.

Spotting a Good Driver...

In the same place, one night, I saw a pedal cycle with proper cycle lamp. The guy was wearing a helmet too. This is an In-India first for me
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 01:27   #7267
BHPian

Here is another one I encountered today evening (17 Feb). This was a water tanker driver. The gentleman jumps the signal. But the tanker stalls in the middle of the traffic signal crossing.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2015 at 10:16. Reason: Fixing youtube link
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 10:11   #7268
BHPian

Yesterday I saw a newbie trucker wheel spinning a Namakkal body Ashok Leyland 2516 multi-axle truck while reversing, having considerable load in it. He could not park the truck in its allotted place even after 15 minutes of wrestling with the steering wheel and clutch.
Old 18th February 2015, 12:00   #7269
BHPian

Recently, I was travelling to Hyd and passing through bangalore on NICE Road.
Perhaps, my understanding of the highways , its rules is poor. Can someone please help me understand.

I was driving in the middle lane at about 80-90 kmph.

The left land was occupied by two wheelers doing about 50-60 kmph most of them.

The extreme right lane was relatively free , expect that a black scorpio or Tata Estate ( I dont remember ) was driving a little slower than me.

In the middle lane, there was another vehicle in front of me, so I decided to turn on my indicator and make my way to join the right lane and proceed further.

The black scorpio before turning on my indicators was well about 30-50 feet behind my car.

But as soon as I turn on my indicators to join this guy races towards me to stop me from joining. It happened one , twice and thrice.

This kind of pissed me off and after say 5-6 kms both of us stopped for a brief chat. This guy's point was that Indicators need to be given on highways if you want the other person to pass ahead. Really ?

I thought indicators are used to indicate where you want to go rather than asking another vehicle where and how to go ?

Am I being stupid here or was something wrong with the black car guy.

Can someone please help understand.

But I have seen this happening a few times with me. Quite confusing.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:37   #7270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padcot Prakash View Post

This is what happens if one pays a bribe to get a Driving License.
He is the stupid person here.
But alas most people in India do think he is right.
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:42   #7271
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps this is why many bikers try to die by passing just as one turns?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:43   #7272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently, I was travelling to Hyd and passing through bangalore on NICE Road.
Perhaps, my understanding of the highways , its rules is poor. Can someone please help me understand...............I thought indicators are used to indicate where you want to go rather than asking another vehicle where and how to go ?
Welcome to la-la-land called Bangalore.
Here everyone drives as per their own rules and ideas and ideologies !!

Coming to your question, Yes, your understanding is correct. Indicator is to indicate changing lanes and showing the direction to where you intend to travel.
If the scorpio guy thought otherwise, that you were asking him to proceed, then he needs to get his license suspended for sometime and attend some driving learning school first.

However, in India, many truckers use this convention to let others overtake. For example, when I see that the road is free ahead, I switch on the right or left indicator (depending on which side you are) to indicate you to overtake me.
This is incorrect.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 18th February 2015 at 12:56.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 12:54   #7273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
However, in India, many truckers use this convention to let others overtake. For example, when I see that the road is free ahead, I switch on the right or left indicator (depending on which side you are) to indicate you to overtake me.
This is incorrect.

Yes, truckers do these. This completely changes the meaning of the word 'Indicator'. Thats the problem on our country's roads. We dont mind our own business. Instead we think we can instruct and expect others how and where to drive.

Imagine a trucker indicating you to pass and you are thinking he wants to pass. And Im between of all these a third vehicle jumps in between to race ahead.

May be this guy recently upgraded himself to a car from being a truck driver I guess. Old habits die hard you see.
Padcot Prakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 13:16   #7274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
But alas most people in India do think he is right.
Not most of the people. My brother in law thinks its wrong, and one should put on his left (!!) turn indicators as a signal to overtake !! This happened last week when I was riding shotgun on his new Bolero. I asked who on earth told him this, he said his driving instructor!! (He learned to drive recently).

No need to say I was flabbergasted. It's instructors like these who are a part to blame in this mess. They don't instruct the learner to wear a seatbelt, nor to adjust the RVM's, safe and correct driving posture and position or explain why it is not safe to drive barefooted while keeping your footwear on the drivers footwell but tell them to follow some rule they just made up. Yes, I asked all these questions to my BIL and he didn't have any answers.

Well, I tried to do my part and tell him about what I know and have learned through this forum and hope that he has a better sense to keep himself and other safe.

Last edited by Mahesh Prasad : 18th February 2015 at 13:43. Reason: typo
Old 18th February 2015, 13:45   #7275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...after say 5-6 kms both of us stopped for a brief chat. This guy's point was...
Quote:
...completely changes the meaning of the word 'Indicator'.
We dont mind our own business. Instead we think we can instruct and expect others how and where to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
...thinks its wrong, and one should put on his left (!!) turn indicators as a signal to overtake
Unfortunately for even those of us who practically know the Highway Code and every other driver manual by heart, we STILL have to cope with the two systems... err - make that four - of signalling while driving.

There's the conventional system, recognized internationally.

Then there's the unconventional stuff used in India - flashing headlights, flashing hazard lights, flashing indicators, sticking out hands and legs, and all other kinds of signals that you would never see anywhere else. Blame the process of driver training in this country, but nothing is expected to change for the better in my lifetime (or yours). We don't have trained driving trainers, and for a few million drivers whose habits are rooted in driving all wrong, cannot be made to unlearn their habits and learn driving in pucca British style. Learn about those signals, and live with them.

And then, finally, there's the No Signal bunch. As well as the no lights group too! The less said about them, the better.

What matters, is for you to know both meanings of a signal - conventional as well as unconventional - and check the other road user's response to your signal. For e.g., in your case, you indicated to change lanes, but the car behind assumed you were asking him to overtake.

So what could you do in your situation? Turn on the signal as you gradually pull over towards the next lane, but watch in your mirrors whether the car behind is accelerating and closing up fast to overtake. If he does, you know that he understands you are telling him: go ahead and overtake. So let him overtake (if he can), and then change your lane! Or slow down in your lane, let him pass you, and then change lanes. Safer, isn't it?
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed