Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 17:15   #7321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Video:1

Patiently following this crawling Alto thinking it might be a learner or an aged person. Keep following him, noticing a big train behind me honking in frustration.

I silently follow him till i see he is talking on the phone! What an ignoramus

Video:2

Approaching a T junction. Notice the bikers happily ignoring the "Keep Left" arrows on the island. One goes, and the rest blindly follow him. Shaking my head, i was shocked to see the Blue swift dude was on the phone.

Video: 3

Seeing the light turn to orange and knowing i will not be able to cross the wide junction, i gently come to a stop at the stop line. But as you can see in the video, people just have to drive through risking themselves and others on road!
Old 4th March 2015, 19:52   #7322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Well I once stopped a Tata Ace driver because his headlights made me blind. This was in our society lane and that night the street lights were not working hence I was totally blinded by the powerful lights.
More often than not, this is due to the goods which causes the vehicle's front to tilt slightly upwards, which in turn throw beam higher.
Old 4th March 2015, 20:02   #7323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
2. On similar lines, you observe that an elderly kaka on his two wheeler scooter is driving in a laid back fashion and decide to overtake him. The moment you start you manoeuvre, he will take offence and increase his speed AND block you from overtaking. I use this to make some slow pokes speed up a little. I do not actually overtake, only feign overtaking and lo and behold! They are on their way !!
I do the same in situations like these. When I casually overtake a slower moving vehicle and guy takes offence and race me, i simply stay on his tail, however much fast he might go. I never overtake him, it is he who looks at the rear view mirror with his pulse racing
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 23:19   #7324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
The thumb rule of highway is the fact that HTVs are supposed to be on the left-most lane on countries where the norm is to drive on the left.., ex: India, Australia, UK etc... and right-most lane on countries where the norm is to drive on the right.., ex: Most European Countries, US etc... Unfortunately, in all the Indian Highways..
Hey, I might sympathize with the HTV guys using the right lane. Most of our non-toll roads are quite weak at the edges. You may have seen countless fully loaded trucks with the left rear wheel stuck in a caved in section of the road especially after a heavy downpour.

Ah yes, the batteries getting eaten is a popular belief. It may be a carryover from our Ambassador and Premier Padmini days. It's actually true. My grandfather had a Premier Safari (a lovely station wagon shape). That would regularly run out of juice if you used "too much" headlights.

And that's the reason cabs, trucks and non Volvo busses don't switch on even their parking lights till verifiably dark.

I think the first car our family had with "strong" batteries was the Sipani Dolphin. But all that is another story.

Cheers.
Old 5th March 2015, 13:54   #7325
BHPian

After this incident yesterday evening, I sincerely feel we can do with some of the BRO slogans from the mountains in our cities.

But on a more serious note, the guy nearly rammed into me. No, I should say, I nearly rammed into him. What amazed me was the casual gesture he made about himself having made a mistake.

I say, it is not a mistake. Mistakes are made unknowingly. This is recklessness. This puts others at risk. I suspect he has been doing this regularly.

In this case, I had noticed the guy well in time. Because there was no one behind me, I pretended as if I hadn't noticed and stopped right in front.

Why don’t people get the basics correct?

+1 for the dash cam. One tends to appreciate these little gadgets on such occasions. Had there been an accident, the footage would have been invaluable!

Old 5th March 2015, 15:00   #7326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I say, it is not a mistake. Mistakes are made unknowingly. This is recklessness. This puts others at risk.
Same thing with "accidents." 99% of the time it is the wrong word for something that somebody caused to happen.
Old 5th March 2015, 18:05   #7327
BHPian

I am seeing a lot (bold, underline, italic) of bad drivers right from my office window.

The PMC has decided to convert the tar road of the lane housing our office into a concrete one. Pune locals might know this road - it is the lane beginning directly opposite Nisarg seafood restaurant and ending at Pune Central at Garware college.

We had received an email informing the starting of the work and requesting all to either refrain from bringing 4-wheelers or else at least follow the one way set by the police and not turn left exiting from office.

Leave alone the IT public, no one follows the temporary one way. Due to the concrete work, the already narrow lane is cut into half. Add to it the daily arriving tanker delivering water and you have chaos. No one is ready to wait or obey the instructions of Nirdhaar volunteers manning traffic.

Mind you, this is in-spite of the barricades and notice boards (large) put up at both ends of this lane. The only saving grace is that the major portion of the work is done at night and the daytime is mostly used for adjustments and watering the concrete.

And all this while there is not a single traffic police alloted to either end. One policewoman arrived along with the crane for lifting illegally parked vehicles and seeing the chaos, left hurriedly.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:56   #7328
Senior - BHPian

My father has a disgustingly bad driver for his ~ 2.5 year old (and under 25K km) Alto K10. He rides the clutch often enough to have worn down the clutch plate not once but twice - the last time some three or four months back .. but the guy is very helpful and polite so my father just doesn't want to sack him.

Anyway, another thing that HAS happened twice is that the gear assembly cable on the k10 engine - which conveys input from the gearshift to the gear assembly - has snapped when he's driving it, typically happens when he's shifting gears. Now just how - allowing for all kinds of horrible driving - does he manage that?

It is a real enough safety issue that if I can explain this well enough to my father maybe he will finally sack the guy instead of believing that MUL sold him a dud car.

He's driven himself around for over 16 years in an M800 that was still in lovely condition when he handed it over to one of his office clerks, so I am not sure why he overlooks all the horrible driving habits this guy exhibits.
Old 9th March 2015, 12:47   #7329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My father has a disgustingly bad driver for his ~ 2.5 year old (and under 25K km) Alto K10. .. but the guy is very helpful and polite so my father just doesn't want to sack him.
If this guy is otherwise good (behaviour and other points which we find lacking these days) and the only thing is that he is not good at what he is hired for (driving)! then how about training him under a good trainer or if a good maruti training school is available ?

My uncle did this once. He observed that his driver was not very good at driving, particularly in city traffic (he was OK on highways) and so he trained that guy. The driver was a teetotaller and genuinely polite and fine otherwise. He cut half the training fees on a small monthly basis from the driver's salary.

One of my former managers trained his car cleaner( ! ) no less. He taught the cleaner how to properly clean the car, polish, rub and generally keep it shining (in and out) and also handed him a nice kit for cleaning the car.

So if this guy is genuinely good, then why not train him and put a really good driver on the road ?
luvDriving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:52   #7330
Senior - BHPian

That is a worthwhile suggestion. But this guy learnt to drive as a call taxi / office cab driver and those ingrained habits (excessive honking, cutting through gaps, riding the clutch to get an instant start at signals etc) are rather tough to break. So it may be tough.

Yes the guy is unfailingly polite and very helpful in other ways, also honest and trustworthy for odd jobs such as being sent to personally deliver cheques to customers when there's a deadline.
Old 9th March 2015, 19:37   #7331
BHPian

Some people are hell bent on committing suicide. But there are so many ways to commit suicide without troubling us. A scene from Trivandrum, in front of the Secretariat, opposite the very signal in video 3 of post 7321 by "deathwlkr". Vehicle - Hero Honda Splendor, Number - KL-21-c-8431, Owner Azeem as per MVD site.
Ramon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 11:12   #7332
Distinguished - BHPian

2 KSRTC Buses destined for Shimoga town and this is what they do to ensure for the greed of picking passengers and making incentives!

A very common sight for most of us but got captured in this clip!

paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 12:29   #7333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em
If I had not spotted this nincompoop on time, I would have been seeking a bail for culpable homicide.

I had barely entered the highway and done 1.5-2 kms & was accelerating when this hero [to the right of the road] decided to swing his bike and instead of going left or watching traffic, he did that right on the road. I was doing some 70-80 kmph and it was impossible to brake & come to a stop within that short distance.

I swerved and saved myself from claiming insurance, the procedure of going to courts & police stations. My brother who was accompanying me asked me to reverse so that some fear maybe instilled on him, but I was in no mood.

Even if something happened, my car would have been repaired, I would have gotten bail. My fault - Nothing. What would the bike guy's state be?

I don't know if he realized as to what was he doing and instead of a SUV, what if it was a multi-axle truck?

Dash camera would have thrown up an interesting video.
Old 12th March 2015, 05:56   #7334
Senior - BHPian

Safety be damned (No Helmet or Rear view Mirrors). I have Govt. backing !!
Limca should straightaway reject his attempt.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150312_054955_20150312055504751.jpg

Click the image to read the full text without the TBHP watermark interrupting.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 12th March 2015 at 05:59.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2015, 09:21   #7335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Safety be damned (No Helmet or Rear view Mirrors). I have Govt. backing !!
Limca should straightaway reject his attempt.
I would say, poor ignorant Media!!

If they spot a Zebra crossing a River, they can publish a news article with "first zebra crossing on a water body" since they too won't be aware what a Zebra crossing is.

Most Viewed