Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 17:33   #7381
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Not the first time I've seen, but it's disappointing to see people sporting T-BHP stickers that say 'I Drive Safe', 'Live to Ride' and then go on to display bad behaviour on the roads. Last Friday evening, it happened near Airoli railway underpass. A red Bolero (MH-43-XX-XXXX) sporting those stickers bulldozes his way past 3-4 cars who are lined up waiting patiently. Pretty certain, no one would term that kind of driving "SAFE".
A little further (less than 200 metres) a well-dressed chap hops out of the car. Wonder what was the tearing hurry to put fellow drivers, pedestrians and two-wheelers at risk when all he had to go further was just about 200 metres!
Old 24th March 2015, 18:01   #7382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhi29 View Post
I see this particular thread is a hotspot for biker-bashing.
i dont approve of rash ridng, but most of the time, its not biker's mistake if he gets hit.

remember- You have four wheels, but bikers have two and tyres slip easily.
In the pictures associated with this context, these bikers are jumping over medians just due to the fact they have two wheels. Ideally they shouldn't be doing, well if they do - they do get hit and its not the complete mistake of the 4 wheeler who is hitting them
Old 24th March 2015, 20:41   #7383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
8: Lane creators – people who create a third lane on the extreme rights at the traffic lights - direct in the path of on coming traffic and expect you to let them in- fat chance! I drive past and thump the door with my fist – harmless, shocks them and the Vtec gets me away before they can catch up
I face this everyday while going to college, the oncoming lane occupies 3/4th of the road. As this happens at generally peak hour traffic and average speed is slow, what I do is as soon as I see a chance i go to the extreme right of my lane and drive there. If someone comes in the way, I stop my car and block his way till he gets back into his lane, and keep looking straight ahead ignoring the other driver and only responding if his reaction is too violent.Works 99% of the time other than when there is a rally racer on the opposite lane. In that case, well I love my car more.
This can be a better way than road rage I say.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 21:07   #7384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
... If someone comes in the way, I stop my car and block his way till he gets back into his lane, and keep looking straight ahead ignoring the other driver and ...
Been there, done that.

Eventually you have to struggle to get back into your lane, as after blocking the idiots you end up in the very lane you were trying to stop from forming - with people trying to overtake you from the left now.

Have given up trying to educate the educated uneducated janta. Let them do their antics, while I enjoy my music.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 23:05   #7385
BHPian

We can spend a lifetime trying to educate these drivers but for them to understand they first need to accept that what they are doing is wrong.In our country it is like if everyone is doing it so it must be right. That is never going to change. It's like taking the horse to the water etc.
Deepak K Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 10:17   #7386
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, we discussing about Bad Drivers coming onto opposite lane !! Here is my story from last week.

Day: Tuesday, 17th.
Time: 10:10 AM

I was on my way to drop off my car for its service. I took a U-Turn at the signal and get onto the service road to approach the C.A.S.S.
The service road is divided by temporary barriers for about 10 mts, beyond which it is a free lane. Everyone coming from the front was either sticking back to their lane or slowing down and going down the road to make way.
Then this Tempo Traveller contracted to Accenture (I know from the numbering/stickering) comes in my front. I wave him to merge back to his lane. He refuses and asks me to get down from the road and take the bumpy way ahead. I refuse with waves. He smiles and doesn't respond back. I switch off my car and walk upto him and ask him to merge back to his lane. He refuses and asks me to get out of his way.
Jam starts building up behind me and him on both lanes. I tell him to move away to his lane and move on. He switches off the engine and says me "Go and tell the cops, if they say, I will move". I didn't go to the cops leaving the car in middle of road. So I come back and sit in my car. He gets down from his TT and walks away to the side of the road and lies down under a tree !!

People eventually come to know about something wrong on both lanes. The ones behind him were able to move to their correct lane and while crossing, would give me stares. I asked a few of the bikers and private vehicles to inform the cops that there is an accident here so that someone would come and ease off our face-off. No one came. A few cars shouted at the TT driver to move and showed me thumbs up and said to hold on and not allow the TT guy to move.
I saw the driver making phone calls, sitting under the tree. After about 20 minutes three rowdie looking cabbie drivers come and start banging my car on the hatch and doors, indicating me with hand signs to move to the side and go. I refuse with hand signs. My car was locked and windows rolled up with 1 cm gap. I wave the rowdies to come to the window. They tried to open the door which was locked.
Then to start shouting through the gap asking me to move away and let their friend to carry on with his crap. I tell I cannot go because there are lot of vehicles around me and instead their friend should move to the side and let me go. They abuse me in Hindi. I refused to budge. Then their banging the car started increasing, at which point I thought it was not safe to stay there any longer. They stop all vehicles behind me to let me reverse and go down the road. I did some drama that my car wasn't starting. I killed some 5 more minutes trying to start. Eventually they started getting furious and the banging the door increased a lot !! I quickly reversed and moved down the road and while crossing the TT guy, told him - Dude, you wasted 10 bucks calling your friends, wasted some important reporting times at work. What did you get ?" To which he just laughed.

Here is the violating TT and the driver.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150317_101153.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150317_101150.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-20150317_101146.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 25th March 2015 at 10:21.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 10:40   #7387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Whoa, we discussing about Bad Drivers coming onto opposite lane !! Here is my story from last week.
While I appreciate your making a stand and staying there till it got dangerous, the only losing party here was you. I have been in this same situation but now I yield to oncoming vehicles because in the end it is we who suffer from increased heart beat rate, BP and if this happens in the morning (as with you), it is likely to spoil the whole morning at least.

These morons (specially the Tempo travellers and their ilk) have nothing to lose. To top it all, even if the police do arrive, all they will do is to ask us to move on and let traffic flow and let the offending driver off with nothing more than a verbal warning. Also, the other drivers on the road advise us to move on and not block their road !!

While this is all depressing, it is the reality today and it is far better to ignore such morons and let them do their antics. Switch on the AC, soothing music and drive on, muttering curses in the safety of your car but do not engage.

My 2 cents
Old 25th March 2015, 10:41   #7388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Day: Tuesday, 17th.
Time: 10:10 AM

I was on my way to drop off my car for its service. I took a U-Turn at the signal and get onto the service road to approach the C.A.S.S.
The service road is divided by temporary barriers for about 10 mts, beyond which it is a free lane. Everyone coming from the front was either sticking back to their lane or slowing down and going down the road to make way.
Then this Tempo Traveller contracted to Accenture (I know from the numbering/stickering) comes in my front. I wave him to merge back to his lane. He refuses and asks me to get down from the road and take the bumpy way ahead. I refuse with waves. He smiles and doesn't respond back. I switch off my car and walk upto him and ask him to merge back to his lane. He refuses and asks me to get out of his way.
Jam starts building up behind me and him on both lanes. I tell him to move away to his lane and move on. He switches off the engine and says me "Go and tell the cops, if they say, I will move". I didn't go to the cops leaving the car in middle of road. So I come back and sit in my car. He gets down from his TT and walks away to the side of the road and lies down under a tree !!

People eventually come to know about something wrong on both lanes. The ones behind him were able to move to their correct lane and while crossing, would give me stares. I asked a few of the bikers and private vehicles to inform the cops that there is an accident here so that someone would come and ease off our face-off. No one came. A few cars shouted at the TT driver to move and showed me thumbs up and said to hold on and not allow the TT guy to move.
I saw the driver making phone calls, sitting under the tree. After about 20 minutes three rowdie looking cabbie drivers come and start banging my car on the hatch and doors, indicating me with hand signs to move to the side and go. I refuse with hand signs. My car was locked and windows rolled up with 1 cm gap. I wave the rowdies to come to the window. They tried to open the door which was locked.
Then to start shouting through the gap asking me to move away and let their friend to carry on with his crap. I tell I cannot go because there are lot of vehicles around me and instead their friend should move to the side and let me go. They abuse me in Hindi. I refused to budge. Then their banging the car started increasing, at which point I thought it was not safe to stay there any longer. They stop all vehicles behind me to let me reverse and go down the road. I did some drama that my car wasn't starting. I killed some 5 more minutes trying to start. Eventually they started getting furious and the banging the door increased a lot !! I quickly reversed and moved down the road and while crossing the TT guy, told him - Dude, you wasted 10 bucks calling your friends, wasted some important reporting times at work. What did you get ?" To which he just laughed.
Most of the cabbies have connections with goondas and rowdies and they are from that background. Even if you had called the cops, let me tell me nothing would have happened. The cops in bangalore are spineless.
Good that they did not attack you.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 11:12   #7389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
While I appreciate your making a stand and staying there till it got dangerous, the only losing party here was you. I have been in this same situation but now I yield to oncoming vehicles because in the end it is we who suffer from increased heart beat rate, BP and if this happens in the morning (as with you), it is likely to spoil the whole morning at least.
These morons (specially the Tempo travellers and their ilk) have nothing to lose. To top it all, even if the police do arrive, all they will do is to ask us to move on and let traffic flow and let the offending driver off with nothing more than a verbal warning. Also, the other drivers on the road advise us to move on and not block their road !!
While this is all depressing, it is the reality today and it is far better to ignore such morons and let them do their antics. Switch on the AC, soothing music and drive on, muttering curses in the safety of your car but do not engage.
My 2 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Most of the cabbies have connections with goondas and rowdies and they are from that background. Even if you had called the cops, let me tell me nothing would have happened. The cops in bangalore are spineless.
Good that they did not attack you.
Absolutely true guys. I just wasted my energy and peace of mind. I wasn't worried about waste of time though, since I had taken a day off to drop off my car and spend some time at the service center.
The scary part in all these events is that they have a very strong network of rowdy anti social elements, who are capable of causing physical harm to both me and my car, and have the power that no one can touch them even !!

The moment he stepped out of the TT, I knew it was going to be nasty. The moment the rowdies appeared, I thought I was done for the day and was better to move out and that is what I did.

I know I should not engage in such road rage things. Like they say, when a dog bites, we do not bite back the dog.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 11:31   #7390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely true guys. I just wasted my energy and peace of mind. I wasn't worried about waste of time though, since I had taken a day off to drop off my car and spend some time at the service center.
I have one request. Can you narrate the incident in the BTP Facebook page? It may take say 10 mins of your time. Perhaps nothing would come out of it as well OR at least it would may force BTP to take some action. You have the vehicle's number, and have explained the scenario neatly. By doing this you are NOT again getting into harm's way, hence my suggestion.

PS: The incident would have happened under Electronics City Traffic PS, and they have an Inspector and around four Sub-Inspectors out there who is supposed to take some action.

Last edited by sachinpk : 25th March 2015 at 11:33.
Old 25th March 2015, 11:36   #7391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is my story from last week.
Not worth getting into an argument with these morons, Soumyajit. Some people cannot be taught manners and discipline. Not worth getting your car damaged in the process.

Take a pic and report the violation on the BTP public eye portal.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 11:59   #7392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I have one request. Can you narrate the incident in the BTP Facebook page? It may take say 10 mins of your time. Perhaps nothing would come out of it as well OR at least it would may force BTP to take some action. You have the vehicle's number, and have explained the scenario neatly. By doing this you are NOT again getting into harm's way, hence my suggestion.

PS: The incident would have happened under Electronics City Traffic PS, and they have an Inspector and around four Sub-Inspectors out there who is supposed to take some action.
Putting up a post on BTP FB Page would expose my profile which I am not comfortable with.
The best I can do is put the vehicle image on BTP Eye, which would be an anonymous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Not worth getting into an argument with these morons, Soumyajit. Some people cannot be taught manners and discipline. Not worth getting your car damaged in the process.

Take a pic and report the violation on the BTP public eye portal.
Yes, am gonna do that. My first post on BTP Public eye.
Like others, I had accepted defeat infront of these morons. But feels like I should post this one and see what actually happens in reality.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:06   #7393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like others, I had accepted defeat infront of these morons. But feels like I should post this one and see what actually happens in reality.
There is a saying "Discretion is a better part of valour" . There is no point in getting into a fight, where odds are against us. But we can try other means to seek justice. BTP Public Eye post is better than just doing nothing.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:12   #7394
BHPian

Quote:
The moment he stepped out of the TT, I knew it was going to be nasty. The moment the rowdies appeared, I thought I was done for the day and was better to move out and that is what I did.
Mental peace is the only thing that makes us bow down to these hooligans. I guess its time most of us started doing something about it. I completely understand what you did and why you did it.

Report it to BTP, not that anything would happen off it. Question - there was no Traffic Police around when this drama was going on?

Also, these TT guys do not have 'connections' to Rowdies - They 'are' rowdies themselves and part time drivers.

Just yesterday, I was taking the U turn before Graphite India and a taxi driver came in all flashing lights in the one way not meant for him - I simply parked there and gave him a piece of my mind. I remember asking him - Don't you have eyes to read the signs - to which he had the shamelessnesss and say No

He had to go as there was a lane built up behind me.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:13   #7395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
BTP Public Eye post is better than just doing nothing.
Truth has been spoken !! But I would still avoid a public FB post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Mental peace is the only thing that makes us bow down to these hooligans. I guess its time most of us started doing something about it. I completely understand what you did and why you did it.
And note, I knew my limitations also. I knew that if his freinds appeared I had to move on, and so I did. I just loved wasting his time and money. Ofcourse with a switched off car and windows rolled up, I was sweating too. But it was okay.

Quote:
Report it to BTP, not that anything would happen off it. Question - there was no Traffic Police around when this drama was going on?
Cops were barely 50 mts away, but then they though it was the usual jam and did not bother to come and clear. Most of the other vehicles were going by me onto the dusty and bumpy soil besides the road. I asked couple of passing bikers and private cars to inform the cops at the junction that there was an accident here, so that they would come. But 20 minutes into the jam, no one came. I wonder if the bikers told the cops in the first place or not !!

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 25th March 2015 at 12:17.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks