Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:42   #7471
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this video on FB, really sorry for the girl.
Stupid father! Thank god it didn't happen later in the day. That big frying pan full of boiling oil and fire beneath would be a disaster.

And look how the dog reacted - rushing for help. Divine! Shows who really lacks the sixth sense.
Old 23rd April 2015, 10:54   #7472
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another "innovation" on the road spotted this morning on my drive to office:
The pillion rider on a TVS was sitting in the opposite direction of the rider facing the traffic behind the vehicle and he was holding on to a Wheel Barrow to tow it along with the vehicle, it was wobbling all over the place making the riders/drivers of vehicles behind very nervous
Old 24th April 2015, 17:52   #7473
BHPian

In Delhi at least, if you spot an Etios or Xylo with a yellow number plate in the morning, make way.

These cabbies who take the average office goer to their office drive like lunatics, and have no driving sense. I am sorry for generalising, but I am saying this after getting annoyed by at least one cabbie everyday, especially in the morning.

Speed limits don't mean anything, nor do turn indicators. They take fully loaded cars to such astronomical speeds, that it is scary for the one who is driving behind em' as you can see their comfort tunes suspensions acting wobble precariously. Imagine the plight of the people inside.

These people have no patience, and will keep honking until you go deaf, or oblige to put yourself in a difficult situation. I believe, the sudden rise of these offices have led to an increase in the demand for cabs. And hence, any tom, dick or harry is put behind the wheel to ferry people.

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 24th April 2015 at 17:54.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2015, 04:23   #7474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
In Delhi at least, if you spot an Etios or Xylo with a yellow number plate in the morning, make way.
Add tata sumo / tata indica / tempo traveller to the list - in fact anything with a yellow board, especially one used as an office cab. Mostly all day given how IT companies work in shifts.

Along with that sudden demand thing, pick up and drop people all over the city with demands like "go faster, I have tickets for a movie at 9.30 pm / meeting at 9.30 am" plus have to go back to the office for a second round means you'll want to maximize time for your lunch breaks, chai - sutta gossip with your friends, going home to sleep etc.
Old 27th April 2015, 08:31   #7475
BHPian

Today I spotted a vehicle whose number plate read as "MAHARASHTRA 11 Y ***", his car was smoking like hell, he was cutting lanes at will and jumped all the red signals. And the sad part of it was he was sporting a LTD sticker!
Old 28th April 2015, 15:50   #7476
BHPian

This pic is not very clear, it was taken from my dashcam. That's a kids head poking out of the driver's side window. The kid was standing on the driver's lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-swift.png  

Old 29th April 2015, 22:37   #7477
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi's motorists, especially commercial vehicle drivers, are progressively gathering a reputation for being selfish, untrained, boorish and prone to indulge in acts of violence in fits of road rage. Yet, a certain amount of controlled road rage sometimes gets an errant driver to fall in line and stop inconveniencing others.

Here, a cabbie carelessly drove up and parked at the corner of the road just before I was taking a left turn, blocking free two-way flow of traffic, and proceeded to do whatever he was doing. I was forced to reverse to make way for a bus. Then, I charged at him, horn blaring, yelling at him to move. The combined effect of an SUV bumper 2 inches from his door, blaring horn next to his ear, and the SUV driver (and his wife ) gesticulating and yelling at him had its desired effect - he quickly started up and moved away!
Old 30th April 2015, 00:50   #7478
BHPian

We all know that the "Road Transport and Safety Bill 2014" will improve our roads a little better and little safer. Yet, politics is being played out and selfishly motivated groups join the call for strike. There goes the hope of making our system better. We will continue to share our roads with bad drivers who doesn't have to answer to anyone

By the way, surprised to see that there is no thread on this proposed bill in Team BHP. Strictly apolitical views as the bill is something that has direct bearing on people like us who are passionate about cars and road safety.
WildInstincts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 08:39   #7479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildInstincts View Post
By the way, surprised to see that there is no thread on this proposed bill in Team BHP.
Here is the link to the bill:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3696447

The draft of the bill:

http://www.arrivesafe.org/wp-content...-Bill-2014.pdf

And here is the thread to discuss the same:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ll-2015-a.html
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 09:12   #7480
BHPian

I have noticed that in our country when new drivers are trained they are specifically taught that for turning left you do not need to look for anything or in any direction. I have myself heard many trainers say this, at least in Kolkata.

This may work in many countries where there is a separate lane for left turners or right turners (depending on the country) and even then it is mandatory to stop at an intersection, look and then go,otherwise you just might have a patrol car behind you, but in a congested place like India turning left without stopping and without looking for traffic on your right is insane. Traffic in India may come at speed from any direction, for that matter it may come from the wrong side also, in which case no amount of luck will help.

Yet I find motorists blindly come out of an alley or lane or even a driveway and join the main road without even glancing at the right side oncoming traffic. Accidents do not happen just by pure luck combined by the oncoming motorist's reaction time. Sometimes I have even asked these motorists and each time they reply 'I do not have to see for taking left turns'. Probably he will learn when one day when his luck runs out and the oncoming motorist fails to stop for him.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:44   #7481
Senior - BHPian

Add to that bikers or even car drivers who won't wait for you to turn but try to zoom past on the extreme side of the road - on a narrow two lane. That ends up either slamming into the back of your car or scraping the paint on your doors.
Old 30th April 2015, 10:01   #7482
BHPian

I would like to bring up an incidence that happened today on Haralur road.
A Maruti Alto Silver Color KA03MN9838 was being driven haphazardly on haralur road from almost haralur village till the Sarjapur junction.
It was driven at times slow and at times with sudden acceleration and while I honked couple of time to over-take he didn't allow me.
Finally at Sarjapur road junction I tried to overtake and tell him why was he doing this, he suddenly opens up the window and starts with bad-mouthing and drives past across sun-city.
I wonder whether people have lost self respect, dignity or respect towards others. I don't think I want to discriminate, however this person looked to be well educated/ literate enough, but by this act he assured me that I should not go with the literacy rate of a person.
If the individual is on team-bhp and reading this message, I suggest him to take personality development classes and learn how to drive in the terrible traffic conditions in Bangalore instead of being furious on other fellow-drivers on the roads.

Note: btw note to the owner again if he is on his forum - You have 2 tickets being issued by Bangalore traffic Police for jumping signal. please check on BTP website.

Last edited by anup7649 : 30th April 2015 at 10:02. Reason: Added a Note
Old 30th April 2015, 10:32   #7483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
I would like to bring up an incidence that happened today on Haralur road.
A Maruti Alto Silver Color KA03MN9838 was being driven haphazardly on haralur road from almost haralur village till the Sarjapur junction.
It was driven at times slow and at times with sudden acceleration and while I honked couple of time to over-take he didn't allow

Note: btw note to the owner again if he is on his forum - You have 2 tickets being issued by Bangalore traffic Police for jumping signal. please check on BTP website.
Hi
Slightly OT i guess Do you mean to say that the car was of a bhpian since nowhere in your post it is mentioned so.
Old 30th April 2015, 11:18   #7484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
Slightly OT i guess Do you mean to say that the car was of a bhpian since nowhere in your post it is mentioned so.
There was no teambhp sticker on his car, hence don't know whether he was a bhpian.
I only mentioned "if" he is a member, please do read else it's just a rant from me about such horrendous behavior.
Old 5th May 2015, 20:16   #7485
Distinguished - BHPian

Checkout the amazing parking by Mr.A-Star.

Sector 21 Gurgaon
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1430837153511.jpg  

Most Viewed