Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 12:13   #7501
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Last night, after the rains was returning home from CV Raman Nagar when a smart guy in an Xcent decided to be Colin McRae.
There is a huge pool of water covering the full road for which I slowed down and in a flash I was blind with brown water on my windshield. This guy had splashed through the huge pool on my left without bothering to slow down.
I decided not to bother but inevitably I ended up next to him at the next signal and asked him to lower his window. Asked him did he know he just splashed water covering my whole car and his response was he didn't realize there would be that much water. He seemed to be from some corporate company, the least he could have done is apologized and instead he was talking to me like I did something wrong.
I wonder what would have happened if it was a 2 Wheeler in place of me.

Roads have gone to the dogs.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:14   #7502
BHPian

Came across a white fiesta classic belonging to the state govt. Came rushing from behind when I stopped before a zebra crossing in-order to make 2 elderly women cross the road. This hero in his early 50's honks comes parallel to me and gives me a look as if I had done something wrong. Can he be termed a moron or someone lacking basic etiquette ?
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:21   #7503
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Came across a white fiesta classic belonging to the state govt. Came rushing from behind when I stopped before a zebra crossing in-order to make 2 elderly women cross the road. This hero in his early 50's honks comes parallel to me and gives me a look as if I had done something wrong. Can he be termed a moron or someone lacking basic etiquette ?
Our roads are full of such folks, no point terming them one or the other
And I don't have hopes that the number of such folks will ever reduce in our country
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:41   #7504
BHPian

I hog the rightmost lane and drive slow.
I wear earphones.
I close my mirrors.
But hey, I drive safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20150519_165747.jpg  

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20150519_165721.jpg  

Added_flavor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 17:36   #7505
Senior - BHPian

How about this guy? Puts Rajni to shame.

Captured by my friend, Sarath and his gang during the Sunday morning ride. The guy was doing 70s and clicking away pics to glory.

And by the way, there is a prowling Ducati nearby that Bull which might have made him to go this high.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-11227572_10153197662215673_4977541193647432566_n.jpg
Old 21st May 2015, 01:02   #7506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
For a change, I would have probably done the same thing as that 50 year old did.

My questions to you would be:

- Was it a Red-Light while the women were crossing the road ?
- Doesn't matter zebra crossing or not, if vehicles were moving, they had no business to play chicken on the road.
- You did right in stopping to let them cross, ofcourse one cannot run over someone intentionally.
But hey, if vehicles were moving, and you suddenly stopped, aren't you endangering you own vehicle alongwith the others behind you ?

I am not saying you did wrong, I am saying it was a terrible suicidal attempt by the ladies if the signal was green and vehicles were moving.
I assume this was at a signal in the first place, because you mentioned zebra crossing.

What could possibly be done is put on blinkers, wave your hand outside to indicate that you just stopped. I know these are all literature and actual scenrio and state of mind varies, but we ought to be careful of suicidal pedestrians too !!
Old 21st May 2015, 10:09   #7507
Senior - BHPian

You do realize there are still a lot of zebra crossings without signals?
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 11:16   #7508
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

My replies to your questions Soumyajit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
For a change, I would have probably done the same thing as that 50 year old did.

My questions to you would be:

- Was it a Red-Light while the women were crossing the road ?
No sir, it was a zebra crossing that was not accompanied with a signal light.
Quote:
- Doesn't matter zebra crossing or not, if vehicles were moving, they had no business to play chicken on the road.
I think you are absolutely wrong with that statement. If someone is deliberately delaying the traffic it would be something that you have mentioned.
Any sensible driver , whether it be a zebra crossing or not , rather that pin pointing to the written set of rules ,you have the natural obligation to save pedestrian from danger if you have an option or an ability to save by stopping your vehicle
Quote:
- You did right in stopping to let them cross, ofcourse one cannot run over someone intentionally.
But hey, if vehicles were moving, and you suddenly stopped, aren't you endangering you own vehicle alongwith the others behind you ?
No sir..No..No way.. Whether I had to stop or not. I always have a suspicious eye that always glances at the IRVM and both ORVMs. I fear those tailgaters who would cause a dent to my wallet along with a situation "without car for 2 days (dent repair;rear bumbers)"
Quote:
I am not saying you did wrong, I am saying it was a terrible suicidal attempt by the ladies if the signal was green and vehicles were moving.
I assume this was at a signal in the first place, because you mentioned zebra crossing.

What could possibly be done is put on blinkers, wave your hand outside to indicate that you just stopped. I know these are all literature and actual scenrio and state of mind varies, but we ought to be careful of suicidal pedestrians too !!
Yeah sometimes it boils your blood..especially when its green signal, people generally middle aged or those young , who seems to be literate or educated deliberately catwalks so as to make you break or slow down.
Either I will honk seek their attention , and point them the signal and let them cross or I will slow down or stop if necessary and let their ego win over my few seconds time. I feel its better not to converse with those lives

Last edited by noopster : 21st May 2015 at 19:04. Reason: Refer mod note inline
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 13:05   #7509
BHPian

It's amazing how people ignore self interest in favor of convenience. They know that driving in the on-coming lane in a traffic jam is going to make everyone late, including themselves.
I suppose it is 'I am better than you' or 'I deserve better than you' mentality.

As for the slow right-lane-hoggers, I see them the most on the weekends: the Weekend Warriors. They are very unpredictable and not confident of driving at all. Also, invariably, they have the high beams on after sundown.
Old 21st May 2015, 16:42   #7510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I hog the rightmost lane and drive slow.
I wear earphones.
I close my mirrors.
But hey, I drive safe.
The road is filled with such type of Moron "I drive Safe" everyday i encounter atleast 2-3 of them on ORR
Old 21st May 2015, 17:43   #7511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
A zebra crossing typically is there to give right of way to pedestrians wanting to cross the road. As long as Vishnu was able to slow his car down peacefully (no hard braking, etc.) - he did the right thing by slowing down.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 19:30   #7512
BHPian

Morons coming down the wrong side of the road & I am NOT barging up a One Way. Please note the biker cursing me (@30secs into the video) as if I am the one in the wrong.. The wall on the left side is that of the Govt. Women's College, Trivandrum and on days the college functions, a lot of pedestriants will also be walking up the road. I have to endure this every day as my office is on this Road.

Last edited by Ramon : 21st May 2015 at 19:32.
Ramon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 19:38   #7513
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if this is OT or not, but here in Maharashtra the RTO has started a quite tough online test for learners license. A friend of mine failed 2 times taking it lightly but in the 3rd attempt passed it after studying it properly . This is bound to curb slightly if not completely the issue of bad drivers.

Speaking of them here is a bus used by the police that was changing lanes haphazardly on the way from deonar to mankhurd around 12noon. He showed no concern for other road users.

Might be because of the large police lettering on all sides.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1432217262663.jpg
Old 21st May 2015, 20:58   #7514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Morons coming down the wrong side of the road & I am NOT barging up a One Way. Please note the biker cursing me (@30secs into the video) as if I am the one in the wrong.. The wall on the left side is that of the Govt. Women's College, Trivandrum and on days the college functions, a lot of pedestriants will also be walking up the road. I have to endure this every day as my office is on this Road.
Do not jump on me seeing what I am writing, take it as a sarcasm:
You are in the wrong place, at the wrong time buddy!

I assume it is the morning period when the traffic ratio is like 10:1 in both directions. Because I come down the same way (opposite to your direction) daily at Morning 0815-0820 hrs though at that time traffic is not this crazy.
But I endure the same thing if I go out from my home, Pappanamcode to East fort side in the National Highway, when the morons will occupy 7/8th of the road coming towards from Karamana side towards Pappanamcode!
srikanthns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 21:01   #7515
Distinguished - BHPian

How to join a expressway

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-1.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-2.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-3.jpg

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-4.jpg

Only in India can you find someone who will attempt to take this U-turn
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-5.jpg

I guess they should put these on all entry points as well.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
... when the morons will occupy 7/8th of the road ...
7/8th? How about using up 100% of the road just coz it's empty. It's not a one way street BTW.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-6.jpg

Last edited by Dry Ice : 21st May 2015 at 21:10.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed