Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 21:24   #7516
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Morons coming down the wrong side of the road & I am NOT barging up a One Way. Please note the biker cursing me (@30secs into the video) as if I am the one in the wrong. The wall on the left side is that of the Govt. Women's College, Trivandrum and on days the college functions, a lot of pedestriants will also be walking up the road. I have to endure this every day as my office is on this Road.
Yeah. Many people including those I know regard this road as a one way. Some private buses coasting down the road have scared me many times.
Anyone going uphill feels unsafe of either losing their right side ORVM or a close shave with a vehicle coasting down attempting an overtaking manure at the blind curve. Going uphill I usually take the other road that leads to vazhuthakaud junction signal.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 21st May 2015 at 21:25.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 22:34   #7517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
vehicle coasting down attempting an overtaking manure at the blind curve..
Maneuver I think you mean. Though a certain synonym for manure will be very descriptive of people who overtake on such a road.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 22:43   #7518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Maneuver I think you mean. Though a certain synonym for manure will be very descriptive of people who overtake on such a road.
yeah. I meant that 'maneuver'. Oops..The editing time for that post is over. I am not that good at spelling words correctly.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 21st May 2015 at 22:44.
Old 21st May 2015, 23:33   #7519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Do not jump on me seeing what I am writing, take it as a sarcasm:
You are in the wrong place, at the wrong time buddy!

I assume it is the morning period when the traffic ratio is like 10:1 in both directions.
Yeah the time as around 9:45 am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Going uphill I usually take the other road that leads to vazhuthakaud junction signal.
But I cant escape this road as my office is at the place where the video ends.
Ramon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:44   #7520
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one from today.

People are absolutely crazy in this part of town.

Old 22nd May 2015, 13:55   #7521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Morons coming down the wrong side of the road & I am NOT barging up a One Way. Please note the biker cursing me (@30secs into the video) as if I am the one in the wrong.. The wall on the left side is that of the Govt. Women's College, Trivandrum and on days the college functions, a lot of pedestriants will also be walking up the road. I have to endure this every day as my office is on this Road.
I used to face the same issues and after a while i just gave up taking the uphill on that road. Just not worth the hassle

But seriously it just boils down to not having basic courtesy for others on the road. The bikers and queue jumpers value their time at the expense of our time and they think they are justified :(

Autos, Bikers think they can take the wrong lane and drive with impunity and when such thinking comes to cars and others it just makes for more chaos on road.
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:04   #7522
Senior - BHPian

Another day, another one.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img20150520wa0009.jpg
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:22   #7523
BHPian

Wow, admiring the spirit of the rider. he is making sure that he is not bothering anyone and heading wherever he wants to in spite of a broken hand.

I think brain transplantation & medicines that can induce common sense should be made legal. So if you find these kind of guys then have their brain transplanted or injected with some medicine that can help get them some common sense.
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:30   #7524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Another day, another one.

Attachment 1373614
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Wow, admiring the spirit of the rider. he is making sure that he is not bothering anyone and heading wherever he wants to in spite of a broken hand.
I am sure he must be bragging all day about this morning ride and in the process must have inspired at least 1 guy in his circle.
Old 22nd May 2015, 19:49   #7525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I think brain transplantation & medicines that can induce common sense should be made legal. So if you find these kind of guys then have their brain transplanted or injected with some medicine that can help get them some common sense.
Please ask Mithun Chakraborty to recommend his doctor to you.
Old 22nd May 2015, 23:48   #7526
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was a bad day for me on the road.

In the morning, not really a bad driver, but a bad teacher!
Around 8:30am, I was driving through some nice wide-ish residential streets on my way to work. Up ahead, is a 4-road junction, and the road I am driving on is a slight uphill incline. At the junction are these slightly low "platform" type speed breakers. I need to turn left. I see a white Ertiga slowing down, bearing straight ahead. I indicate left, move to the left-most of the road, so now the right side of my car is aligned with the left side of the Ertiga.
Ertiga stalls, rolls back slowly, unable to move forwards. I honk. Ertiga continues to roll backwards and bumps into my car. My handbrake is up, so my car is now the physical barrier preventing the Ertiga from rolling backwards. Middle-aged man from passenger seat gets down and asks me to move back. I declined and got out of the car. Saw young man, maybe 17-18, sitting in the drivers seat totally confused. Middle-aged man tries to pick a fight with me (!!!), but I ignore him and ask the young man if he is a learner. Ego prevents him from admitting to a novice status, but I can see though it. I order him to get down, get into the drivers seat myself, move the Ertiga across the junction. Then the young lad admits to being a learner. And the middle-aged man is now apologizing to me!!
Young man is not a bad driver, just a novice. Middle-aged man is a bad driving instructor because he could not take charge in a situation that was spiraling out of control. He really should have stepped up to the plate, and I told him so before carrying on to work.

In the evening, a close shave.
Very sparse traffic, 2½ lanes of free flowing traffic. Up ahead, a break in the divider and a few cars slowly making U-turn. Me in left lane, commuter bike to my left parallel to passenger door (rider+pillion). Speed ~50kmph.
Enter mad biker, trying to push through the non-existent gap between me and the commuter bike.
Result? Mad biker's handlebar touched my left rear door, knee touches commuter biker pillion knee - and I can see all this happen in my ORVM.
Commuter biker slightly pulls off to the left, I hold steady. Mad biker honks, screams, zooms off.
Commuter biker and I pull over to calm our nerves.
KiloAlpha is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 00:13   #7527
Distinguished - BHPian

KiloAlpha, it's great the way you handled that learner driver. I hope it is an inspiration to him and something that he will never forget. I hope your vehicle didn't get any marks in the the encounter.
Old 23rd May 2015, 00:48   #7528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Ertiga stalls, rolls back slowly, unable to move forwards. I honk. Ertiga continues to roll backwards and bumps into my car.
Bull-bar is the need of the hour !!!

Hope your front bumper did not gather any kiss marks.

Btw, what about the rear-left door from the handle-bar impact ?
I was in a similar situation some 1.5yrs back and that has left a sweet dent, mildly noticable, on the rear-right door.
Old 23rd May 2015, 10:24   #7529
Team-BHP Support

A Duster with the tailgate open and 3 people seated in the boot space clicking selfies:

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_20150522_18451601.jpeg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2015, 13:42   #7530
BHPian

New way of stopping at Traffic lights.
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-image_10.jpeg
I was the first at this signal at the right most lane since I had to go right, so I stopped behind the Stop line. This guy was behind me, passed me through the left lane and stopped there. The signal was open for vehicles on the left lane to go straight. After a number of vehicles started honking, this guys stops like this!! Pity there were no Traffic cops, not that it would have mattered as they simply don't care.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks