Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:26   #7531
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

A child lying on a parcel tray! Bad drivers or bad parents?
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imag6032_1.jpg  

Old 24th May 2015, 12:52   #7532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_rohit View Post
A child lying on a parcel tray! Bad drivers or bad parents?
I would call this BAD PARENTING. As such i have seen drivers with kids on their laps while driving.
May be they expect others to stop their vehicles to gave way to such morons.
Old 24th May 2015, 15:07   #7533
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsafe transportation of children is the rule, rather than the exception, on two-wheelers (always unsafe) or four.

Usually, the danger is to the child, but sometimes it can be to the whole vehicle and occupants. I cringe when I see youngsters holding on to the handle-bars of a bike or scooter. What happens if the child slips or panics? Or just unthinkingly turns around, pulling on one side?

In this area, there is not only a complete failure of education, but also of imagination.
Old 26th May 2015, 16:16   #7534
BHPian

Quick question folks - Do you have morons in your office who never respect when someone is reversing his car (or) never slows down his car when he sees folks walking towards the lift area after parking their cars?

I literally have headache everyday when I come across such morons in my office.

Of late I am seeing such folks with branded sunglasses, bluetooth headset giving a cold stare at me as if I was at fault. Not sure if the Team-Bhp stickers in both my cars make them think that I am part of a Racing community.

Gentlemen if you are reading this post, please change your driving attitude. Sorry for the rant :(

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 26th May 2015 at 16:16. Reason: Spacing :)
Old 26th May 2015, 19:16   #7535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Another day, another one.
Not sure what gave him the confidence to ride with a broken arm. But how as he able to turn the throttle grip or use the front brakes? What speed was he doing ?
Old 26th May 2015, 19:32   #7536
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe he wanted to break some more limbs
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 20:02   #7537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Quick question folks - Do you have morons in your office who never respect when someone is reversing his car (or) never slows down his car when he sees folks walking towards the lift area after parking their cars?
Given that we occupy 5 floors out of 9, we have most of the basement parking allocated to our company.

I once had someone tailgate me for the full 800m from the gate of the campus to the basement entrance. Because I was driving at 20-30kmph, not flying over speedbreakers, and yielding to pedestrians, apparently, this person was frustrated with me.

So, once we are clear of the last speed breaker at the bottom of the ramp, this man speeds up and overtakes me inside the basement!

Of course, I made sure to park right next to him - he is, unfortunately, my colleague. And ensure I got into the same lift going up from the basement. And wished him Good Morning with my most cloying, sweet smile.
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 11:59   #7538
Senior - BHPian

If you do outrank the guy (eg: rash kid on a busa - which once happened to me) feel free to chew him out, talk about HR, safety regs etc etc. Who knows, he might learn a little from the experience.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 12:21   #7539
BHPian

Driving the wrong side of the road is the norm during early morning hours especially during the witching hours (12 AM - 6 AM) in Pune. There are known roads here, where i routinely come across this behaviour, but toda's incident took the Cake.

While returning from the station after picking up my family, right on top of the Agriculture college over pass, there were two bikes riding in tandem on the wrong side of the flyover. As it reaches the top there is a slight dip which makes it difficult to immediately spot wrong side drivers, most importantly when you are least expecting. The Car ahead severed wildly to avoid a head on leaving me to brake frantically missing those morons by a whisker.

It's only yesterday that the papers reported that the number of licences being issued has come down due to the stringent tests now required to obtain one, but how do we educate such morons?
Old 27th May 2015, 12:44   #7540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
Came across a white fiesta classic belonging to the state govt. Came rushing from behind when I stopped before a zebra crossing in-order to make 2 elderly women cross the road. This hero in his early 50's honks comes parallel to me and gives me a look as if I had done something wrong. Can he be termed a moron or someone lacking basic etiquette ?
Kudos to you Vishnu for letting them pass safely, I wish there were more drivers like you on Indian roads.

In western countries most zebra crossings come with signals, and a button on each side, which pedestrians can press, the signal then goes red for 15 seconds or longer at the next available opportunity, to let them pass safely. After coming across at least 3 people in my circle who have been seriously injured trying to cross the road, I wonder if we need something similar in India, at least in problem spots where vehicles travel at high speeds.

Playing devil's advocate though, given the number of pedestrians on Indian roads, if such a thing were implemented, I can foresee huge traffic jams.

Also making people follow this would be a problem, in the UK such signals are equipped with cameras, and everyone knows if they break a signal, they will get a penalty notification in the post within a week, they will get a certain number of points on their license as a result, and if the points cross a threshold their license will be cancelled. Getting a driving license in the UK is no mean feat, so I guess thats compelling enough to make them follow the rules.

Back to the topic though, most Indian drivers have very little or no regard for pedestrians, its really saddening to see elderly people and children scurry across the roads hurriedly, scared for their lives.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 13:00   #7541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Another day, another one.

Attachment 1373614
How did you snap this?
Old 27th May 2015, 14:25   #7542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
How did you snap this?
GoPro/SJCam/other action cam I presume (helmet mounted).
Old 27th May 2015, 15:12   #7543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
In western countries most zebra crossings come with signals, and a button on each side, which pedestrians can press, the signal then goes red for 15 seconds or longer at the next available opportunity, to let them pass safely. After coming across at least 3 people in my circle who have been seriously injured trying to cross the road, I wonder if we need something similar in India, at least in problem spots where vehicles travel at high speeds.
Very difficult, my friend, very difficult to implement this in India. Indian drivers never give right of way to pedestrians even when fixed signals are there, forget about such automated ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Also making people follow this would be a problem, in the UK such signals are equipped with cameras, and everyone knows if they break a signal, they will get a penalty notification in the post within a week, they will get a certain number of points on their license as a result, and if the points cross a threshold their license will be cancelled. Getting a driving license in the UK is no mean feat, so I guess thats compelling enough to make them follow the rules.
There you said it!! Making it tougher to get driving license is just the first step. There needs to be urgent reforms in the traffic sector and a complete overhaul of the system. One politician sometime back dared to mention that the "RTO" has become useless entity. I totally agree with him. The RTO concept need to be scrapped. Instead a central license issuing authority needs to be formed who will be responsible for teaching, testing and issuing licenses.
Old 27th May 2015, 16:12   #7544
BHPian

Is is just me or just Pune, or are people starting to drive on the wrong side of the road for no particular reason now? Or even if they know that they are going to make themselves late by blocking the road?

I know we have a new normal for road behavior but are people being uncivilized because it's now customary?

The dirty looks, honks, abuses, and open laughter I get when I follow the rules seems testament enough. How do we address this competitive spirit among commuters?
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2015, 16:22   #7545
Senior - BHPian

A possible explanation for why normal people become bad drivers:

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/big-que...-person-drive/
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks