Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2015, 16:14   #7591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
You need to look at the driver's side door, if he has stuck his hand (or leg) out and is waving it furiously that means he wants to turn right. Ditto left if it's his 'cleaner' on the passenger side
while driving to Pune on the NH4 that's how we would determine where the truck in front is headed. i'll check on the right side and on the left my wife would check
Old 8th June 2015, 16:33   #7592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Too late. Not only have they NOT removed themselves from the gene pool (mandatory qualification criteria), they've added two more boot-riding geniuses to it.
I am willing to talk to the nomination committee to make an exception to the rule. One showing of the photo will suffice I would think. I will fight for at least a honorable mention.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 16:34   #7593
Distinguished - BHPian

In General apart from these trucks doing petty duties - Sand, Construction Equipment, maximum Long haul truckers are gentlemen carrying lot of patience. This trait is definitely not tagged to a specific highway and is quite common all over.

It takes a few seconds of tailing to identify the category they belong to and drive accordingly.

Last edited by paragsachania : 8th June 2015 at 16:35.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 21:08   #7594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
A rickshaw entered the BRTS lane (in Rajkot as per the source) and the bus forced it to reverse all the way back where the divider had a break:

Serves him right!
Love the BRTS lanes - experienced them in Ahmedabad. I wish all major cities could implement them.

I wish I could do this to the autos in kolkata

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2015 at 21:10. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from the quoted post.
Old 8th June 2015, 22:13   #7595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj78 View Post

Love the BRTS lanes - experienced them in Ahmedabad. I wish all major cities could implement them.
Come to Delhi. You'll go back with a very different song on your lips.
Our brts now exists as a ghost town that's a thorough fare. Very convenient launchpads for lunar modules, the remains of the partitions. Designed by IIN, they are best approached at 50 kmph at about 11 in the night, and you get a landing at the nearest a.s.s,for suspension upgrade.
And even when it was not a ghost town, it was occupied like a concentration camp.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 09:13   #7596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Then the young lad admits to being a learner. And the middle-aged man is now apologizing to me!!

Commuter biker and I pull over to calm our nerves.
You did the right thing in both cases. You seem to have tons of patience and you set the right example. I did this long ago to a co commuter and later we became good friends as he also happens to travel to the same tech park [ITPL, BLR] and we see each other frequently on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Talking on the phone seems relatively safe to me now
I came across this lady the other day, in Indiranagar, Bangalore.
She was driving, talking on the phone, taking a turn. She took half a turn, blocked both roads and talking. I honked myself to glory. She yells to me that she is talking to a patient, and I tell her, she herself will become a patient if she continues this habit.
Uneducated auto driver doing it is not acceptable, An educated doctor doing it is Criminal offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Doesn't really mean anything. Don't expect the driver to practice what he is preaching.
You got it wrong!!! He is asking everybody else not to honk. He never said he will not

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th June 2015 at 09:41. Reason: Consecutive posts merged. Please wait for the moderator to approve your posts, please use the 30-min edit window to add/edit your posts.
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 09:47   #7597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
In General apart from these trucks doing petty duties - Sand, Construction Equipment, maximum Long haul truckers are gentlemen carrying lot of patience.
I have noticed this and I agree with you. The National Permit trucks go slow as a snail, but the drivers do give way for faster (and smaller) vehicles. Only thing is that they require some time to clear the way.

Also they seem to allow some vehicles to get into a queue, by reducing their speed. Recently I had got stuck in a road blockade strike in Kerala. Vehicles started occupying both lanes, and I was on the wrong one. When the strike was lifted, the vehicles all had to fall back into the right track. A trucker who was on my left-rear side, stopped for a second so that I could quickly join in. The advantage was that the lines restored to normalcy and every one could quickly move. The truck was an NP truck. I don't think a local auto rickshaw, APE, Tipper truck or private bus would have been so kind to me.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 12:47   #7598
Senior - BHPian

Well, I didn't want to be 'Bad driver' and what I got in return was this. Sigh.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150609_124131.png
Views: 1669
Size:  974.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20150609_124143.png
Views: 1657
Size:  1.07 MB

I was returning home late at night when my mobile started ringing. Not wanting to talk while driving, I pulled over to a street-light-illuminated spot. That's when I heard a loud 'hissssss' and the car visibly tilted to towards the left. I got out and found that some drunk idiot had thrown an empty bottle by the roadside and my car tyre's side wall had ruptured when I went over it.
Though I got the damaged tyre repaired, I didn't trust it enough to use it, so got a new tyre.
Old 9th June 2015, 14:10   #7599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I am willing to talk to the nomination committee to make an exception to the rule. One showing of the photo will suffice I would think. I will fight for at least a honorable mention.
They do make exceptions as can be seen here:
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2014-05.html

Coming back to those kids at the back of the Wagon R, I am appalled by both the before and after: before closing the hatch and after. With the hatch door open it could have banged down on the kids' hands / body due to movement of the car. Or they could have fallen off. With the door closed it would be immensely uncomfortable for them.
Guite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 15:23   #7600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Well, I didn't want to be 'Bad driver' and what I got in return was this. Sigh.

... ... ...

I got out and found that some drunk idiot had thrown an empty bottle by the roadside and my car tyre's side wall had ruptured when I went over it.
Though I got the damaged tyre repaired, I didn't trust it enough to use it, so got a new tyre.
Oh dear, very sad: that phone call really cost you!

But you did the right thing, and I'm sure that you will do the same again.
Old 9th June 2015, 17:28   #7601
BHPian

Please excuse me if this has been posted before.
I came across this video on facebook today. Its a two lane road and one part of which is being occupied by these morons. At 0:35 seconds, the Esteem seems to have gotten very close to the excavator bucket.

kp1992 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 19:01   #7602
BHPian

I guess we have all wondered - How do Drivers become "Bad Drivers". If this picture is anything to go by - they are "taught".

(Captured a lady "learner" being "instructed" by the teacher to drive on the wrong side of the median while negotiating a traffic jam)
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver.jpg  

krish11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 19:08   #7603
BHPian

Here is another example - This gentleman will (1) Not wear a helmet (2) Drive in the middle of the lane at a leisurely pace and not bother to give way in spite of "respectful honks" to give way (3) Not bother to paint the registration number of his vehicle on the rear number plate.

Truly a Don of the community of Bad Drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bad-driver-2.jpg  

Old 9th June 2015, 19:29   #7604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
I guess we have all wondered - How do Drivers become "Bad Drivers". If this picture is anything to go by - they are "taught".
Talking bout bad teachers, my cousin was told by her driving instructor to drive over standing water after a rain as it would clean the underbody of the car. The poor soul followed the instructor's advice to the 'T' and ended up with a broken tie rod and quite a red face!
Wonder where people get such brilliant ideas!!
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 19:53   #7605
Senior - BHPian

Could have been worse, she'd have ended up with a hydrolocked diesel engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks