Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 15:46   #7621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Enter Odisha! NH-5! Your are driving in the speed regulated 80kmph fast lane. No medians in sight. You suddenly spot a biker with his headlamp ON / OFF coming the opposite / wrong direction. U swerve to avoid him, luckily there are no vehicles following you on the left lane! The bike gives you an accusing stare, as if it were your fault to be travelling in the correct lane. Bikes followed by cyclists, cars, even tractors! Thats NH-5 in Odisha for you. Include the city roads in Bhubaneswar. Add the same issue in the night too!
Brace for some hair-tearing experience, and utter lack of driving/lane sense.

The common rule followed is if the next u-turn/cut in the divider is more than 500m away, bikes/cars and even trucks take the wrong way to reach there. The break point of my patience is when people block the left most lane at junctions (forget free left turns since there is no space) and then race their way for a right turn, before the light turns green.
Old 17th June 2015, 18:36   #7622
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

To the "Rowdy Joker" driving this wannabe supercharged Maruti Ertiga in Calcutta.
Next time remember, you are not the "Para Don" on the road. 😉
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434546068.760450.jpg
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1434546150.394569.jpg

Last edited by cityvic : 17th June 2015 at 18:37.
Old 17th June 2015, 18:59   #7623
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP STICKERS are HERE! Post sightings & pics of them on your car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
To the "Rowdy Joker"
What antic did he do?
Old 18th June 2015, 17:47   #7624
BHPian

Need to report a carelessly driven vehicle in Delhi, bearing Team BHP sticker. I felt very angry that this kind of driving will give a bad name to our respected forum / community. The vehicle in question is a white coloured Renault Duster with fat tyres and a flickering extra brake light.

It was on the road in front of Gyan Bharti school today morning around 9:15 a.m. The Duster can from a colony gate from the other side of the road and muscled on to the main road, intersecting oncoming traffic almost at a right angle. He barged just in front of my car - which to an extent can be expected form the common Delhi driver, as "Might is Right". But the shocking thing was that the driver was talking on a mobile phone with only one hand operating the vehicle. Later he pulled over to the left side of the road and I could still see him talking on the phone. What's more, the car had "I drive safe" sticker pasted on its rear bumper. It was a Delhi registration vehicle with the last four digits - 4114.
Old 19th June 2015, 09:34   #7625
Senior - BHPian

The problem is that with change in technology, the change in rules and laws need to be done as well.

But the MV act is almost as old as me and may certainly not have provision for these sort of situations.

Morons getting inspired by movies to do these stupid stunts :( But the good acts shown in the movie are all forgotten after an applause in the theatre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
To the "Rowdy Joker" driving this wannabe supercharged Maruti Ertiga in Calcutta.
Next time remember, you are not the "Para Don" on the road. 😉
Never mind what happened there but what's the deal with the dark tints. Weren't these banned?

I am going to start posting pictures of vehicles like these in my city to the traffic police FB page. Want to get their reaction on it.

The urge is higher everytime I am inside the car and getting roasted like the peanut being sold by the seller on the road side.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th June 2015 at 09:45. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
Old 22nd June 2015, 10:41   #7626
BHPian

Here's a skilled, but bad driver.

Kerala PWD has this habit of laying interlocking concrete tiles on curves, especially in the eastern roads. This video shows why that's a bad idea, demonstrating the lack of grip that these tiles offer.

The driver is bad, as he does not consider the dynamics of the vehicle he drives and as he does not regulate his speed, given that its raining.

He's skilled though. Look at the cat-like reflexes in catching the bus straight when the tail comes out of line. You see this kind of opposite lock in WRC.

Old 24th June 2015, 15:26   #7627
BHPian

How do you spot a Bad driver?
Just get on any road in the country and you will get tired spotting only that species.

How do you make a driver bad?
Make any good driver drive on our roads and just watch him. There! You not only spotted a bad one, but just saw one in the making too!

Damn this traffic. No sense prevails on our roads. And please don't expect people not to go mad and not become a bad one driving in this madness.

(Just sticking to forum rules, else I wish to fill this thread with that icon)
Old 26th June 2015, 11:28   #7628
BHPian

Yesterday I spotted a family in Honda City, Husband wife and little kid (may be around 2 /3 years old) at busy Majiwada junction in thane. Those who are from Thane / Mumbai would know how busy that place is (especially during peak hours).

The gentleman was driving the car with the lady in the co driver seat and guess where the kid was ? He was standing in the lap of the gentleman, holding and playing with the steering wheel with both hands and pressing horn pad in between. The parents were seem to be enjoying the whole thing. As there was bumper to bumper traffic the car was just about moving at 10 km/h may be and suddenly the kid turned the steering way too right and car brushed a TMT bus from right !! thankfully the driver managed the situation and avoided major damage.

Last edited by Prafful_Rathod : 26th June 2015 at 11:29.
Prafful_Rathod is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 16:05   #7629
BHPian

I trust it should be made a rule that every driver in this country should become a Team-BHP member . I sure have become a much more saner driver after joining this amazing forum.

Last edited by gabrielthomas : 26th June 2015 at 16:06.
Old 1st July 2015, 18:43   #7630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
The gentleman was driving the car with the lady in the co driver seat and guess where the kid was ? He was standing in the lap of the gentleman, holding and playing with the steering wheel with both hands and pressing horn pad in between. The parents were seem to be enjoying the whole thing.
Hate this about so called educated parents, who can spend on every bling-thing in the market except their kids safety. Come-on guys get your kids car seats, they deserve to be safe on the roads and rely on their parents to make the right decisions for them.

Quote:
thankfully the driver managed the situation and avoided major damage.
Do not mean to be nasty here, but I would have preferred some damage to his car, so he would think twice about doing this in the future. Nothing teaches human beings a lesson, unless they have to pay dearly for the consequences.

Apologies if I sound upset, I am tired of seeing negligence towards kids on our roads. The other day I spotted an auto-rickshaw where the kid was sitting on the parcel tray and looking at the oncoming traffic, he must be like 2 years or so. . Could not click pics I am afraid, as I was driving.

Noticed a 4 year old the other day at the petrol pump, he was neatly tucked in between the 2 front seats sitting on the armrest (which is padded in some cars now), and looked like it was his usual place to be when in the car. Funnily his dad had a "World's best dad" keychain
Old 1st July 2015, 19:54   #7631
Distinguished - BHPian

I've a story to share, from an article I luckily stumbled upon. This story might help people reading it gain a certain perspective and hopefully a moral to last them a lifetime. I shall summarize it for people who might not want to read the full story - Location : Ottawa. A proud owner of a recently restored 1998 BMW 740i was so paranoid that other cars might cut too close to his car while parked in the lot, that he got the brilliant idea of parking bang on the middle of the white partition line.. the logic being that since he's parked spot in the middle of 2 parking spaces, that other drivers would leave a clear 3 feet either side to park properly in their respective space.

The incident : Clearly no one would like to see a vehicle hog the space of 2 car parking slots, despite the lot being majority empty a bloke in a Ford truck (F150) decided to teach the driver of the Bimmer a lesson by blocking out the driver door (he parked about 6 inches off). The Bimmer owner upon returning saw it as a bullying/intimidation tactic. Not to be outdone he brought out his baseball bat from the trunk and sliced the wing mirror clean off of the Ford. Ok his reasoning ability conked off temporarily, after reaching home he began to fear legal repercussions for his deed and confessed why and how he did it in Bimmerforums expecting support, other owners though pretty soon made him the butt of all jokes no matter how hard he tried to justify what he did as correct.

The moral : There are a lot of drivers even in India who might not think while parking/driving, there are people who go the wrong way in a 1-way, people who cut into lanes, people who may abuse you for no reason.. such people simply - exist! There is nothing that will come out of reasoning/arguing with them, unless you are asking for trouble. Firstly the law of the roads exist for a reason, be it parking lines, lane dividers or traffic lights, hence breaking them is a felony no matter what justification one can ever give. To other drivers who would pride themselves as being lawful and obedient, do not waste your time trying to "teach" others a lesson, lest they bite back hard.

This article again reminded me of the most ideal mindset a driver must have, a car is just an engine fused with a body shell, if you love it and care for it drive carefully and repair all the damages as they happen, but do not hold the damages against the damager otherwise there's a risk of more harm to follow.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/6/2...l-Bat-7727746/

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st July 2015 at 20:01.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 20:52   #7632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Hate this about so called educated parents, who can spend on every bling-thing in the market except their kids safety. Come-on guys get your kids car seats, they deserve to be safe on the roads and rely on their parents to make the right decisions for them.

Do not mean to be nasty here, but I would have preferred some damage to his car, so he would think twice about doing this in the future. Nothing teaches human beings a lesson, unless they have to pay dearly for the consequences.

Apologies if I sound upset, I am tired of seeing negligence towards kids on our roads. The other day I spotted an auto-rickshaw where the kid was sitting on the parcel tray and looking at the oncoming traffic, he must be like 2 years or so. . Could not click pics I am afraid, as I was driving.

Noticed a 4 year old the other day at the petrol pump, he was neatly tucked in between the 2 front seats sitting on the armrest (which is padded in some cars now), and looked like it was his usual place to be when in the car. Funnily his dad had a "World's best dad" keychain
There is a new class of individuals - the educated illiterates.

They are everywhere- in an automotive forum, their manifestation is so.
Old 2nd July 2015, 08:48   #7633
BHPian

White Fortuner, With Fancy number 1. Overtook me from the right side on the Nagar Road stretch between Kalyani Nagar and Yerwada. Normal overtaking, nothing fancy.

I was right behind the Fortuner as we approached the Yerwada Signal. The Green turned to yellow, and the fortuner was almost there - a few meters to reach the junction.

I expected him to floor it, considering his number plate and all.., but surprisingly, he slowed down and stopped righ behind the stop line. The yellow turned to red immediately after he stopped.

I could see from the circular plate behind the car that he was either an MLA or some politico.

I waited right behind him, surprised at this unexpected behaviour. (!)

The red light held on for a while.. there is no counter at this junction, and as the time passed, impatient two wheelers and a car who were stopped beside the Fortuner, jumped the signal and moved ahead, taking advantage of the fact that there was no cross traffic.

A good queue had built behind us, but the Fortuner stood its ground, and pulled ahead only once the green light appeared.

Whoever you are and whatever party you belong to, Thumbs up!

Last edited by Bigzero : 2nd July 2015 at 08:50.
Bigzero is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 10:11   #7634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
White Fortuner, With Fancy number 1. Overtook me from the right side on the Nagar Road stretch between Kalyani Nagar and Yerwada. Normal overtaking, nothing fancy.

I was right behind the Fortuner as we approached the Yerwada Signal. The Green turned to yellow, and the fortuner was almost there - a few meters to reach the junction.

I expected him to floor it, considering his number plate and all.., but surprisingly, he slowed down and stopped righ behind the stop line. The yellow turned to red immediately after he stopped.

I could see from the circular plate behind the car that he was either an MLA or some politico.

I waited right behind him, surprised at this unexpected behaviour. (!)

The red light held on for a while.. there is no counter at this junction, and as the time passed, impatient two wheelers and a car who were stopped beside the Fortuner, jumped the signal and moved ahead, taking advantage of the fact that there was no cross traffic.

A good queue had built behind us, but the Fortuner stood its ground, and pulled ahead only once the green light appeared.

Whoever you are and whatever party you belong to, Thumbs up!
ironically, this post is an exception to be appearing in this thread as it does not match the title Definitely to be appreciated with the context of the number and the probable owner.
However the situation is so bad where we have started appreciating the rule abiding drivers which actually should be normal otherwise.
aravindr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:25   #7635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday I spot-------------------SNIP----------------uation and avoided major damage.
This is a very strange thing, and again failure of enforcement. But, I dont know if there is yet a law against having children in the front seats.

There is a guy in my society, young kid he has, just about a year old. He bought a top spec verna, all safety features, and I saw him getting out of the parking once with the boy in his lap. I told him, its dangerous, and told him exactly why it was so.
"oh?oooh.oho..." Later, he put him in the car seat in the back.
Couple of days later, I saw him driving in the car, again kid in lap, but when he saw me, he immediately put on the horse blinders he had purchased from aliexpress. I became invisible.

It could be a one in a million chance, and I have been part of the "it cant happen to me" camp, but it HAS to happen to SOMEBODY. What if the other 999,999 folks have bought Nimbu-mirch danglers made from fresher veggies than you?

I pity such people. They should be stupid on their own time. The boy knows no different, so youre responsible for his safekeeping, but you're also responsible for anything bad that happens to him.
I have purchased a similar set of blinders now.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed