Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2015, 23:52   #7801
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
Has anyone got gyan from a two wheeler guy as this "you have four wheels and can stop better than me"?
I got different kind of gyan from them when talked about maintaining distance from other vehicles (here my car) at signal.. saying, "You (me) are talking as if you have never ridden a two wheeler. Two are supposed to drive this way only.".
Old 21st September 2015, 09:47   #7802
BHPian

Well I had a little incident on Saturday night on the sparsely crowded 100 ft Inner Ring Road from Sony Junction towards IndiraNagar. I was travelling with my family and made a U-turn at Sony World Junction and was driving towards IndiraNagar. Since no one else had made the U-turn and it was nearly 9 pm there was no one behind me and no one ahead of me. I was doing 60 kph .
Near the BP petrol station an Innova swung out on the main road. The gentleman driving was blissfully unaware that I was coming up on the road from behind him. I saw him a good 300 mtrs or so earlier and I flashed my headlights and honked a couple of times. Without giving any indication he decided to go hug the divider. By this time I was in a position to overtake him and I did, but I blared my horn and while passing I stared angrily at him.
This probably ruffled his feathers and he started honking and following. He kept at it while I made no attempt to increase my speed or decrease it and stop to chat with him. Finally near Dell he stopped forced me to stop stormed out of his car and came over. He was a well dressed elderly gentleman and not a driver. He did not abuse me since I was very calm and did not show any anger. He was saying I was doing more than 120 and claimed that I was fast. But when I firmly insisted it was only 60 and had it been 120 I would have passed him much earlier , his next line of defence was that my car is black and so he could not see it. When I reminded him that I had perfectly working headlights which I had flashed to make him aware of my presence he had nothing to say.
Then he said "I curse you , go get drunk" , to which I replied "Ok sir , fine. Lets go our separate ways since you are done cursing me." He stopped talking completely and there was a look of shock and then he quietly drove off.

Few unanswered questions which I did not find a conclusive answer-
1) Was I the bad driver who did not slow down and give right of way to a vehicle which gave no indication of any sort to the direction where he was going ?
2) Shouldn't he have been more aware of the traffic picture while swinging out on a main road from a lane especially in that part where traffic comes up at more speed ?
3) The gentleman was alarmed and angered that I expressed displeasure at his lack of the traffic picture. Was it really necessary to make all that fuss and stop me and try to intimidate me ?
4) Was he trying to cover up his lack of attention by intimidating me and creating a scene where this could have been just forgotten ?

One thing I know from experience is that a calm manner and logical and clear thinking are a very effective tool to deal with a situation which could have gone all wrong. I am not sure if that gentleman was drunk but his illogical remarks were really surprising.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 10:03   #7803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Well I had a little incident on Saturday night on the sparsely crowded 100 ft Inner Rin-----------SNIP---------ot sure if that gentleman was drunk but his illogical remarks were really surprising.
I think most of the time these situations happen is our expectation of the other person being an ok driver, or even that he'll stick to the code. Unfortunately, we have to drive with the expectation that EVERYBODY on the road is a bad driver.
All that "natak" of chasing somebody to cuss at them, that's how people get into road rage. What if you had a temper too, and a weapon. People should think. A lot of monkeys getting beaten up on the streets in such cases are mostly the instigators who thought they were "faighters".

PS: Can you PM me what this gent said that translates into " I curse you, go get drunk"? . What was the curse, 50% additional discount during Happy hours?It sounds like a Chinese dubbed movie!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 10:17   #7804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

PS: Can you PM me what this gent said that translates into " I curse you, go get drunk"? . What was the curse, 50% additional discount during Happy hours?It sounds like a Chinese dubbed movie!
Yes it shocked me too a bit. Maybe he himself was drunk and wanted me to be at par with him perhaps.

Apart from that when I referred to him as Sir and not "Buddhe" or something derogatory most of his rage was punctured.
Old 21st September 2015, 10:29   #7805
Senior - BHPian

so this happened a few days back in Kozhikode, Kerala. I was driving my father's sx4 and reached this rather big junction with signals and cops.

signal was red and i was in the lane going straight. turned green slowly started moving, i could see a duster in the left mirror and i think he's turning left well because he's on that lane.

but imagine to my horror he speeds up [signal was counting down almost to zero] cuts across in front of me [no indicator] and his right rear wheel arch bumps into my left front wheel arch and speeds through the junction as the light is just about to turn red.

i was stuck at the junction and nearby two wheeler riders were shaking their heads. cops did not see any of it and this junction is a busy one so i cant park my car and go search for them.

i drove off and after 5 mins i see the duster parked on the side and he's inspecting the damage.

i speak to him and he says his back bumped into my front so its my mistake!

and then he says if you have an issue with how he drives i can take down his vehicle number and file a complaint.

really wish my father had a dashcam :(
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-bump.jpg  

Old 21st September 2015, 10:43   #7806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Here's a wannabe Hamilton, driving a red Polo on ORR. With the way this 'kewl dude' was driving, I almost had the thought of calling BTP. First he almost took my rear bumper, then it was an Innova, followed by a Figo. Here it is, for your eyes only:

The car is registered to Adobe Software. Makes it easy to find out who this budding racer is
Lol! You got a lot going on in there!
A boy racer, a sticker spotting, a road rage (??) kinda altercation. Such videos do make for a good viewing later on.
Old 21st September 2015, 11:19   #7807
BHPian

Yesterday me and my daughter cycled to a nearby McD for breakfast (Indirapuram, the one opposite DPS). While returning an idiot in an Alto was coming in the wrong direction, driving along the extreme left of road. That meant that we would have had to go on the middle lane to cross him.

I stopped and asked him to pass us from the right, and then noticed a very young baby (younger than 1 year) sitting in his lap. He argued with me that it would be much easier for us to pass him from left. I calmly listened to him and said nothing. The impasse went on for 3-4 minutes, then he realized I was not going to move so he crossed us from the right.

While passing he shouted at me - saale, agar bachcha saath nahin hota to bahut maarta. I was flabbergasted; had half a mind to go back and beat the shit out of him. Thankfully sense prevailed and I carried on my way.
ntomer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 11:46   #7808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
While passing he shouted at me - saale, agar bachcha saath nahin hota to bahut maarta. I was flabbergasted; had half a mind to go back and beat the shit out of him. Thankfully sense prevailed and I carried on my way.
He will take time out to fight and stuff, but doesn't have the time to drive down a little more and take a legitimate u-turn.

What's even more frustrating is, he is passing on the same values to the next generation as well.
Old 21st September 2015, 11:59   #7809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Yesterday me and my daughter cycled to a nearby McD for breakfast (Indirapuram, the one opposite DPS). While returning an idiot in an Alto was coming in the wrong direction, driving along the extreme left of road. That meant that we would have had to go on the middle lane to cross him.

I stopped and asked him to pass us from the right, and then noticed a very young baby (younger than 1 year) sitting in his lap. He argued with me that it would be much easier for us to pass him from left. I calmly listened to him and said nothing. The impasse went on for 3-4 minutes, then he realized I was not going to move so he crossed us from the right.

No wonder road rage in Delhi is the highest in the country. Recently there was a piece of info that an IT guy from delhi working in bangalore quit his job as he found people here to be soft and not aggressive on roads. He simply could not digest the fact that some people had even the guts to apologize to him in such a scenario as mentioned above.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 12:00   #7810
BHPian

Here's someone who thought it was cool to not have tail lamps in his car! The inset shows how well (!) one can see when he brakes. To top it, the other one doesn't seem to work!
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-rear.jpg
Old 21st September 2015, 12:23   #7811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Lol! You got a lot going on in there!
A boy racer, a sticker spotting, a road rage (??) kinda altercation. Such videos do make for a good viewing later on.
Boy racer - check
Sticker spotting - check
Road rage kinda altercation - May or may not be. It was a rear-ending for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Here's someone who thought it was cool to not have tail lamps in his car! The inset shows how well (!) one can see when he brakes. To top it, the other one doesn't seem to work!
Be happy that the High Mount Stop Light is in order. I've come across many cabs that have their tail lights and brake lights either flickering like discotheque lighting, or not working at all - but the HMSL would be working though it gets subdued by the other fancy lights installed around the rear windshield.

Last edited by silversteed : 21st September 2015 at 12:28.
Old 21st September 2015, 13:29   #7812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
I suggest not to blank plates in this thread. Name and shame!

(Actually, I don't think it is necessary ever: if a vehicle is on the road, it is public. I understand that some people consider it courteous to do so in some circumstances.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:20   #7813
BHPian

To that person in the White Elite i20 (TN-07-CB-****). You wanna race? Go to the track! Just because I flashed my headlamps when you tried cutting me off, doesn't mean I wanted to race -_-
The best part was, I found the URL sticker on your rear bumper. Lol. Do this forum a favour and remove it at the earliest. You almost knocked down 4 two wheelers and bullied me, that xylo and the dzire out of our paths. Well done!
Old 24th September 2015, 10:50   #7814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
To that person in the White Elite i20 (TN-07-CB-****). You wanna race? Go to the track! Just because I flashed my headlamps when you tried cutting me off, doesn't mean I wanted to race -_-
The best part was, I found the URL sticker on your rear bumper. Lol. Do this forum a favour and remove it at the earliest. You almost knocked down 4 two wheelers and bullied me, that xylo and the dzire out of our paths. Well done!
For some weird reason, people take a flash by or warning flash (incoming) quite offensively, and start to behave rash. Not sure why people react in this manner.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:23   #7815
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
For some weird reason, people take a flash by or warning flash (incoming) quite offensively, and start to behave rash. Not sure why people react in this manner.
That's possibly because it is misused a lot, at least in Bangalore. Even when one has right of way, some oncoming vehicles typically cabs will flash and try to zip by cutting in front head-on and then passing.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks