Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2015, 12:50   #7891
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

@cruising_rapid : Is that a public road, if not we should not interfere in nature's ways...

Last sunday I was travelling on Cathedral road, Chennai around 8pm. I notice 2 bikes were showing off their wheel spin expertise right in the middle of the road and that too on the wrong side and facing the traffic the oncoming traffic, while the vehicles were waiting at the preceding signal. Also there where 4-5 of their friends cheering them up. For those who know this area it was right in front of the BP petrol bunk after Semmozhi Poonga, while the vehicles waited at the Stella Maris/ Prince Jewelry signal.
Old 20th October 2015, 13:39   #7892
Team-BHP Support

About the stunt bikers (on public roads): Darwin's a smart fellow, I'd trust him to sort these guys out.

I know I wouldn't be sorry if such people became extinct, whether by seeing sense and mending their ways or meeting their maker, I'll leave it to their better judgment. I just hope they don't take innocents with them if they choose to perish, like it happens far too often these days.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:53   #7893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
About the stunt bikers (on public roads) ...
I believe you misspelt the third word, but if I correct you, my post will be deleted and I might even be banned!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:05   #7894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Darwin's a smart fellow, I'd trust him to sort these guys out.
Unfortunately, he has a lot of catching up to do, with the number of Rossi and Lorenzo type riderz that we come across every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I might even be banned!
The ban word has lost its 'horrifying charm' these days

Last edited by silversteed : 20th October 2015 at 16:08.
silversteed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 16:58   #7895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
@cruising_rapid : Is that a public road, if not we should not interfere in nature's ways.
Yes, they were on their way to Sardar Sarovar dam from vadodara.

Quote:
About the stunt bikers (on public roads): Darwin's a smart fellow, I'd trust him to sort these guys out.

I know I wouldn't be sorry if such people became extinct, whether by seeing sense and mending their ways or meeting their maker, I'll leave it to their better judgment. I just hope they don't take innocents with them if they choose to perish, like it happens far too often these days.
I hope that they mend their ways, till then god bless the fellow road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Unfortunately, he has a lot of catching up to do, with the number of Rossi and Lorenzo type riderz that we come across every day.
I am new to Hydereabad and am genuinely surprised to see many bikers and car drivers driving with their ear phones and headphones plugged in. I will try to get a picture of the same and post it here.

Last edited by cruising_rapid : 20th October 2015 at 17:03.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:26   #7896
BHPian

What irks me the most, is when people pull up to the side and then open their doors without checking the road. Its plain stupid and dangerous. In my car, its not much of a problem, I'll be more than happy to provide the idiot with a free car door removal. On a bike, it becomes life threatening. I've had too much experience of this in H'bad. People wont even bother moving their car out of the road, just pull to the side with half the car still in the road.
GeneralJazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:03   #7897
BHPian

Recently I heard one of my friend was "advising" his sister how we can gain confidence while learning driving a bike. "If you cannot manage many things at a time (such as brake, accelerator, clutch, gear), do not worry. Even the person driving in the opposite direction has brakes. So even if you cannot stop, he will stop the vehicle."

While the above statement can be ignored saying the person was trying to provide some sort of courage to the new learner, this also gives an idea that, you can get away doing things wrong.
When driving, I frequently see that, the other party would never bother slowing down, change direction even by a little bit or stop even if my vehicle is so close.

Aren't we supposed to teach the new learners, how to brake first, and then everything else?
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:08   #7898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Recently I heard one of my friend was "advising" his sister how we can gain confidence while learning driving a bike. "If you cannot manage many things at a time (such as brake, accelerator, clutch, gear), do not worry. Even the person driving in the opposite direction has brakes. So even if you cannot stop, he will stop the vehicle."

While the above statement can be ignored saying the person was trying to provide some sort of courage to the new learner, this also gives an idea that, you can get away doing things wrong.
When driving, I frequently see that, the other party would never bother slowing down, change direction even by a little bit or stop even if my vehicle is so close.

Aren't we supposed to teach the new learners, how to brake first, and then everything else?
I have heard this too. "Forget about the left side of the car. The person on your left will manage his right, that takes care of your left". Basically your left = anothers right. Ignore. It is extremely bad ideology, but apparent on our streets.
Old 21st October 2015, 12:36   #7899
BHPian

Had my heart in my mouth yesterday night, thanks to OLA. Took a cab from office at around 11.10pm, empty road. About few kms from my office comes the first signal, driver promptly stops and wait for the green. Since things are going normal i started reading news on my phone. He continues to drive slow and steady but for some reason he decides to jump the next signal at slow speed ! All i suddenly hear is screeching brakes and a sudden jolt. Since both of us were belted no harm to us. Then when i looked outside, three cars (including the one i was travelling) had a narrow escape from a crash at the junction. The driver of one of the car who missed us by a whisker gestured with his hand to the OLA driver and boy, our man got so offended. He starts abusing and mocks the other driver with a similar hand gesture and shouts saying cant you slow down ! I got irritated and i raised my voice and told the cab driver that its your mistake and you should apologize. He replied saying why should i apologize, i'd already crossed the junction so others should slow down. I reminded him of the red signal, he replied with a smile "sir, who follows rules in our country"

I gave a strong feedback to OLA and got a response from them saying they would take necessary action, but then...
sunishsamuel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 13:26   #7900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I reminded him of the red signal, he replied with a smile "sir, who follows rules in our country"

I gave a strong feedback to OLA and got a response from them saying they would take necessary action, but then...
The I shift timings for drop in office and II shift timings for drop back home are the most dangerous when it comes to safety. Since I commute in I shift, I get to know the situation. In my case I have to cross the NH7-Bommanahalli junction.
You have vehicles coming from Hosur/E city on the main road, vehicles from Hosur/E city on the service road, vehicles from madiwala taking a right turn at the junction, vehicles from madiwala proceeding straight from the junction, vehicles from Bommanahalli proceeding towards mangamanpalya, vehicles from BTM service road proceeding further on the NH from the junction.
In addition to this chaos, we have vehicles from mangamanapalya coming in the wrong direction towards bommanahalli and the perennial problem of haphazard parking of autos.
In the mornings everyday, this junction is like a maze. One has to try all sorts of tricks to successfully cross this junction.
Old 23rd October 2015, 11:47   #7901
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a bad driver parking and surprised to see the car with Team BHP stickers (Got BHP, LCLC). This was no place for parking but still the car was parked.. Cut a sorry face in front of my office colleagues who mocked me saying that BHPians are the one who mostly break rules. Could not say much.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-p_20151023_111153.jpg  

Old 25th October 2015, 17:36   #7902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I would agree. Whats the rush?
Most folks who ill treat pedestrians probably never walk or feel they never have to. What I have experienced is even if I don't honk folks behind honk at me. I guess they feel by doing so are being proactive and share the "pain" of bad traffic and are unable to attend that event which would have otherwise changed the course of humanity.

One day at a traffic light at electronic city a guy honked at me and was gesturing at me to pull off and I stayed put. He some how sneaked to my side and asked "kivi kelalva" (are you deaf), for which I said Yes!. He was nodding profusely probably cursing me and zoomed off. I waited for the light to turn green and drove into Nice road and got to see him stuck at next point probably cursing rest of the folks ahead of him. Cant change them and no point probably trying.
srinih75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 20:16   #7903
Distinguished - BHPian

I honk when I have to pass close to pedestrians. It is just a small honk to let them know that I am there. On narrow roads, I also pass by at very slow speed.

Of course, when there are three or four abreast, simply taking up the road without thought, then I apply hand to horn far more forcefully!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 21:18   #7904
BHPian

A quick honk is apt when situation demands so. Honking in a standstill signal is like holding a candle to the sun. I usually honk 2 beeps when taking a turn after all adequate preparation and in a turn where I know that it is narrow ensure enough honks to preinform the other vehicle my proximity to the turn.
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 21:55   #7905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Spotted a bad driver parking and surprised to see the car with Team BHP stickers (Got BHP, LCLC). This was no place for parking but still the car was parked.. Cut a sorry face in front of my office colleagues who mocked me saying that BHPians are the one who mostly break rules. Could not say much.
You can always counter by saying that, it could have been a car owned by BHPian once, but now sold to another customer. Actually I have seen such situation. I saw team-bhp sticker in my brother in law's car and I got shocked as he didnt even know which car he was saying. (Ok, that was a bit exaggerating, but he was not into cars). Then he told that he purchased his swift from another first owner and this sticker was there when he purchased it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks