Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 09:39   #7936
BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Though a minor accident, wanted to post about this; a senior citizen in our locality ended up crashing his car (guess i10 or Alto) on to a stationary auto rickshaw yesterday night. The senior citizen, a retired government officer is under medication for various health reasons. The damages are heavy but no physical harm to anyone. So thats a big relief. Claims settled, no police case etc. The reason for accident seems to be slight drowsiness/lack of concentration due to medicines. It seems he has the habit of sleeping behind the wheel but family chose to ignore as he always goes for "short drives & very careful" The usual refrain was heard at their house "god's grace, nothing happened, be closer to god so that he will take care every time"

Why do people ignore health conditions and drive ? Why family is not supporting and restricting those drivers (i know not so easy but then) rather than letting them drive ? This is such a big risk, what if some lives were lost ? No reasoning can get the lost lives or damages fixed. This particular driver can afford certain luxuries in life like a chauffeur, hire a taxi etc. But why do we ignore safety big time and go for such risks ?
sunishsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 10:29   #7937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Though a minor accident, wanted to post about this; a senior citizen in our locality ended up crashing his car (guess i10 or Alto) on to a stationary auto rickshaw yesterday night. The senior citizen, a retired government officer is under medication for various health reasons. The damages are heavy but no physical harm to anyone. So thats a big relief. Claims settled, no police case etc. The reason for accident seems to be slight drowsiness/lack of concentration due to medicines. It seems he has the habit of sleeping behind the wheel but family chose to ignore as he always goes for "short drives & very careful" The usual refrain was heard at their house "god's grace, nothing happened, be closer to god so that he will take care every time"

Why do people ignore health conditions and drive ? Why family is not supporting and restricting those drivers (i know not so easy but then) rather than letting them drive ? This is such a big risk, what if some lives were lost ? No reasoning can get the lost lives or damages fixed. This particular driver can afford certain luxuries in life like a chauffeur, hire a taxi etc. But why do we ignore safety big time and go for such risks ?
Generally convincing elderly people is bit tough. They have to take the call on their own. For instance many a times when I go out with my father, I make it a point to drive the car rather then ask him to do so. Knowing the chaotic traffic situation in bangalore, it is better if senior citizens hand over the steering control to others. But what if there is a situation wherein only the aged father and mother reside at home while their sons/daughters are settled outside their home town???
Old 17th November 2015, 10:13   #7938
BHPian

I was on my bicycle riding merrily and enjoying the cool air and the warm winter morning sunlight.

A guy in Indica comes from a left lane on to the main road (I am riding on the main road). I am about 50 m away from this lane. I can see an idiot on a scooter coming from the wrong side of the road.

Now as this Indica guy was about to turn left and join the main road the scooter guy just keeps riding and BANG. The car hits the scooter and the scooter guy falls off to the ground. I was witness to this accident and it was clearly an error on part of the scooter guy. He had no business riding on the wrong side of a trunk road.

The first thing I did was ask the rider if he was hurt. He was okay and the impact itself was at very low speed. Then I blast him.. probably even more than the car driver. LOL.
The rider had the audacity to say that the car driver should have "looked" before turning!!

Thankfully, no injury and everyone was off to their own ways in 2 mins.

The scooter guy continued to ride on the wrong side even after this accident.

Last edited by freedom : 17th November 2015 at 10:14.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 11:06   #7939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
I was on my bicycle riding merrily and enjoying the cool air and the warm winter morning sunlight.
By any chance, was this on Pashan-Sus road? Reason for asking is that is the most "wronged" road that I have seen in the entire city.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th November 2015 at 11:07.
Old 17th November 2015, 11:13   #7940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
By any chance, was this on Pashan-Sus road? Reason for asking is that is the most "wronged" road that I have seen in the entire city.
Baner Road. Between Hotel Bhairavee and Mauli Petrol Pump.
Old 20th November 2015, 09:13   #7941
BHPian

I am sure at least a few of you would have chauffeurs for your personal cars. Do you know if owners keep a check on driver habits ? What they do when you are not in the car, where they go etc. ? Do anyone insist that the drivers should be following rules, driving properly (using clutch and gears correctly) wearing seat belts, how to use features of the car etc. (eg: GPS, reverse camera, cruise control) ?

I am seeing a lot of expensive cars (read Jag, Bmw, merc etc.) being driven by chaffeurs engaged on the phone, no seat belts, rash driving, impatience on the road etc. All of them will have fancy numbers as well, some are of MLA's & MP's (Sticker to believe) and some are of eminent business houses (registered to). I am wondering if anyone bothers what the drivers do when the car is with them. Plus the imminent danger of an accident and the aftermath !
Old 20th November 2015, 09:53   #7942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I am seeing a lot of expensive cars (read Jag, Bmw, merc etc.) being driven by chaffeurs engaged on the phone, no seat belts, rash driving, impatience on the road etc. All of them will have fancy numbers as well, some are of MLA's & MP's
In such cases many of these chauffeurs would be one of those riff-raffs who hang around with MLA or MP, and may also play a minor role of a goon (when required). Such chauffeurs may even more dangerous on the road, because their rashness comes from being close to a person with power. These MLAs or MPs also may protect them, as it is a way to prove that they take care of their "boys".

In KL, two weeks back a Police Sub Inspector had caught an MLAs driver for drunken driving. The SI received transfer orders within hours. It took the state DGP, to cancel the order after reading the actual reports from the news papers.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 12:04   #7943
Senior - BHPian

KA-03-MT-7429 white XUV500 with LTD on the right side of the rear door. do you even know the size of your vehicle? the way you were switching from one lane to the other, without indication, looked like you were riding a bike. the move you made to overtake that Swift near Ecospace made even the BMTC Volvo swerve! not to mention your bullying tactics to get ahead in traffic. seriously dude, learn to drive.

do us all a favour - remove that sticker from your vehicle!
IronH4WK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 13:00   #7944
Senior - BHPian

So there i was, waiting to get onto the main road from a single lane side road. Instead of the frantic hand signalling used by the swift guy, would it not have been simpler for everyone if he had just used his indicators? :(

What's the point of having signals? This is an everyday occurrence and the poor pedestrians have to bear the brunt.

When it rains, it pours. It also brings out the worst in some drivers, especially when there's a jam. The other lane be damned, if there is space we will occupy! The saddest part was the army truck driver giving me the stare as if i did something sinful!

Last edited by deathwalkr : 27th November 2015 at 13:04.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 09:13   #7945
BHPian

@deathwalkr, I totally understand how you feel.

This is the latest trend though (at least this has been a constant now for eons)

Sometimes I get the feeling, there is a special driving school that teaches these guys exactly these skill sets (Driving on the other side of the lane, bad mouthing the guy who is right, pushing them off the road et all) before they are given a license (if at all they have one) and are let loose on our roads.
Old 1st December 2015, 16:40   #7946
Senior - BHPian

On my way to Tuticorin and it was pouring. The highway was a bit treacherous with puddles of water and no other illumination on the road.

Driving at 4-50kmph i see a puddle and slow down. On the opposite lane, i see a bus swerving dangerously onto the right lane at a junction and then swerving back into his lane. The front goes into the lane just fine, but the back jumps over the divider!

What happened? A biker in front stops wondering how to negotiate the puddle in front of him, and bus knows he can't stop, so he does this crazy trick. Thankfully no one got injured other than a few rattled bones inside the bus!

Towards the end of the video you can see the biker still standing there wondering what the hell just happened!

And after sometime this happened. Busy junction. Chaos. Not much by way of street lights. Worsened by high beams from all sides. Lucky cyclist had a near miss.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 1st December 2015 at 16:43.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 10:06   #7947
BHPian

Crazy two wheelers always cut across in bangalore traffic, but this one takes the cake. For a second I was like
john.gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2015, 11:11   #7948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
For a second I was like
Horribly dangerous. Very close to having the population of india reduced by one. The bloke wasnt wearing a helmet as well!
Old 3rd December 2015, 23:58   #7949
BHPian

Stopping abruptly on the fast lane (rightmost lane), in the middle of traffic flow when the signal is green, over a flyover blocking a lane and turning on hazard lights after stopping, that too for dropping off passengers - I can vouch that this is insensible driving.

Is this legal? I mean stopping anywhere for dropping off passengers (even the rightmost lane on a flyover) and putting hazard lights "ON" - Does this put everything in place?

Location - Over 4 number bridge near Park Circus, Kolkata. An UP registered car.

I noticed that lately the buses plying in Kolkata have no respect for other vehicles. It seems they know that no one would be able to do anything to them. Result : Unruly traffic and many lives at risk.
gearhead_mait is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 17:30   #7950
Senior - BHPian

@gearhead: it's like a disease i guess! Happened to me a sometime back today

In your case, it was the right lane, i had to suffer them in the middle lane! What was even more irritating was having to see the driver put on his left indicator and park on the side after everyone got down!!!
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed