Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 17:59   #7951
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post

I am seeing a lot of expensive cars (read Jag, Bmw, merc etc.) being driven by chaffeurs engaged on the phone, no seat belts, rash driving, impatience on the road etc.
Just yesterday night, I had gone to drop my aunt and cousin for their outstation bus on vashi highway. The bus was delayed so was waiting when a red GLA comes and parks on the side. The driver is belted up and has his phone on the car mount, the owner sitting behind him. Then, the driver comes out, collects all his belongings and the owner speaking on the phone get into the driving seat, still speaking on the phone, starts the car and zooms off. The driver sees this and walks away shaking his head!

Not all drivers are bad.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2015, 18:18   #7952
BHPian

This WagonR driver caused a block in the lane which had a 20 sec green signal to the Left. What gets my goat is the attitude displayed by these bad drivers. They are like, " What? What happened?". Totally unaware of the effect they are creating.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-p_20151202_183214_p.jpg  

Old 5th December 2015, 21:08   #7953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
@gearhead: it's like a disease i guess! Happened to me a sometime back today

In your case, it was the right lane, i had to suffer them in the middle lane! What was even more irritating was having to see the driver put on his left indicator and park on the side after everyone got down!!!
I don't have any words for this. Strange how these peoples escape the law. Intentional breaking of traffic rules should be dealt severely.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post and avoid quoting images / videos in your reply.
Quoting a full, long post with images / videos inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th December 2015 at 11:32.
Old 7th December 2015, 20:16   #7954
BHPian

Telegraph UK reports, based on dash cam footage, driver has been jailed for eight months for dangerous overtaking maneuver. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-UK-first.html

It also reports that it is the first of its instance wherein dash cam footage was considered for convicting the driver. If this indeed is true then we should really congratulate Bangalore traffic police and Hyderabad police for bringing in the concept of Public eye and Hawkeye apps for capturing the violations much earlier than ever introduced in developed countries like UK.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:25   #7955
BHPian

Ultra bad drivers who want to avoid each and every pothole and drainage cover on the road at any cost. They will give a jerk to the handle/steering so that their vehicle avoids the bad patch without a glance or worry about other road users.

I have seen this mostly in two wheeler riders and rickshaws. Cars are less likely to do it but its not totally unseen. Nowadays on familiar routes where I know the layout of the potholes and drainage covers, I keep a sharp lookout for people doing a break dance with their vehicles and avoid them
Old 8th December 2015, 19:15   #7956
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Today on my way back home, I saw 2 guys on an Activa scooter riding in front of me, the pillion was holding onto the handle of a large suitcase that was riding along beside the scooter (with it's wheels on the road!)
I slowed down enough to let the guys move farther away from my car before I deemed it safe to proceed at normal speed, traffic was thin so did not cause a traffic jam, just stuck to left most side of the road.
Old 8th December 2015, 20:19   #7957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Today on my way back home, I saw 2 guys on an Activa scooter riding in front of me, the pillion was holding onto the handle of a large suitcase that was riding along beside the scooter (with it's wheels on the road!)
Like this, maybe?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3632001
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 15:01   #7958
Senior - BHPian

I am beginning to notice an increasing number of people who merge into a road by turning left, not look to the right for oncoming traffic. A few conversations with such people has left me bewildered - they (very firmly) believe that they don't need to look for traffic.

I had a close shave recently. Was riding shotgun to the office with a colleague, who is a newbie driver. We came within a hair's breadth of causing a collision because he did not look for traffic coming from the right. I told him that he needs to do that always, and he countered by telling me that his driving instructor told him not to bother!
Old 10th December 2015, 15:18   #7959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
..merge into a road by turning left, not look to the right for oncoming traffic...
Could you please be a bit more specific on the test case concerned?
Old 10th December 2015, 15:36   #7960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I am beginning to notice an increasing number of people who merge into a road by turning left, not look to the right for oncoming traffic. A few conversations with such people has left me bewildered - they (very firmly) believe that they don't need to look for traffic.
Ah The Indian way of driving which teaches you that it is ok to turn left without worrying about traffic going straight. As far as the Indian driver is concerned, the person turning left has the right of way and not the person travelling straight on the road he is turning into. I have learnt that there is no point if getting into an argument as most people believe that what they are doing is right, common sense be damned.
I learnt to drive in another country where you are taught to yield when turning left or right. Had to unlearn it when I started driving in india as I was getting yelled at every junction when I would wait and yield for traffic.
In India the concept of right of way is "whoever put the nose of their vehicle first"
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 19:45   #7961
Senior - BHPian

Tons of bad drivers can be spotted everyday in Mumbai if you take the Milan ROB to the highway. You will always find one or two idiots trying to take a 90 degree turn (actuall slightly more !) to cut across the always busy with speeding cars highway to enter into the underpass that leads to the international airport rather than taking a U Turn from Andheri or coming via Khar Subway. Some people really deserve to get into accidents and I find myself praying to Darwin to speed up evolution and for natural selection to take care of some fools ASAP.

Though it might seem a bit gruesome I have taken to warning drivers with kids sticking out of the sunroofs by making a neck chopping motion when I have their attention. This and some chats at signals has lead to some success and surprising no altercations
Old 11th December 2015, 11:18   #7962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Ah The Indian way of driving which teaches you that it is ok to turn left without worrying about traffic going straight. As far as the Indian driver is concerned, the person turning left has the right of way and not the person travelling straight on the road he is turning into. I have learnt that there is no point if getting into an argument as most people believe that what they are doing is right, common sense be damned.
Honestly it is just a matter of patience and waiting a couple of seconds for the traffic coming straight down to thin out then to merge in. People do not bother for safety on the pretext of saving time. As I mentioned here before: Even people gunning down past a junction which in not manned by a traffic light, usually do not slow down. It is extremely dangerous and risky. Not sure why people do not apply common sense.
Old 11th December 2015, 14:19   #7963
Lij
BHPian

Everyday early morning I drop my wife to the nearest railway station on her way to work and nowadays as its winter its still dark at those times. The roads as they approach the railway station, say from around 750m, are all one way traffic roads. But early mornings are the time when we see auto-rickshaws (they drive crazy during this hour, not that they are very sane any other time) and scooters coming on the wrong way.

This morning similarly a guy came on the wrong side with high beams, only when I reached close enough (around 20m) did I realize that it was a Wagon-R with only its left side headlights working.
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 10:30   #7964
Senior - BHPian

Was happy to see your stickered vehicle this morning at NGEF bypass; not so much 5mins later. You were tailgating me closely to the point that you had to stand on your brakes to avoid ramming into my car at the CMH signal when a biker cut across me and I had to brake hard to avoid hitting him.

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450414623.530351.jpg

And what's with the bullying tactics? I saw you weaving in and out between lanes trying hard to overtake me. Overtake when there is space, don't try to create one!

IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 14:12   #7965
Senior - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Not an accident, but its about how not to take a turn. No turn indicators, zooming between lanes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks