Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 12:09   #8056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Had to do a B'lore-Mysore-B'lore dash yesterday to visit a sick relative. Chose to take the Malavalli - Kanakapura route on the way back, anticipating heavy long weekend return traffic on the Mysore - Mandya - Bangalore route. For non-localites, the chosen route is two lane undivided all the way through.

After this, the swift guy slowed down and started driving sedately. I overtook him again and after a few kilometers, he pulled the same stunt and got ahead of me again. I simply cannot understand why people take it personally when they are overtaken. I had to forcibly slowdown and it cost me an extra 30 minutes drive time.
Same is the case in Delhi. A simple overtake move is taken as a race challenge! I have the habit of revving hard in 2nd cog sometimes, though top speeds are very limited (max 100 kph), and some bikers and car owners take it as an opportunity to start a race. On one open stretch, I once caught attention of 3 guys on a Splendour driving zig-zag but slow. I overtook them in 2nd cog (at 30 kph) and then started the chase. They would chase me again and again (honking and shouting also) even though their bike was at its limits (vibrating and making a lot of noise), a pedal-to-the-floor at 90 kph (2nd cog) solved the problem and they were left far behind. Do note that there was no traffic on the stretch I left them behind.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 12:54   #8057
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Saw this guy in an i10 auto transmission variant that had the Hyundai "Auto" badge but what caught my attention was the large lettered sticker work on the rear windshield that said "AUTOMATIC" - he was on the right most lane on an NH talking peacefully on his mobile phone oblivious to all traffic around him. He definitely needs an automatic car since his left hand isn't available for gear shifts
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 13:17   #8058
BHPian

Was coming back from the airport Saturday night (around 9 : 30 PM), and after the Mahipalpur point where one has to merge into NH8, it was pure hell. People were exiting NH8 from an entry point. People were literally at 90 degrees to merging traffic in order to exit out. What the heck.
Old 18th January 2016, 14:23   #8059
BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em

Height of stupidity everywhere with mobile phones.
1. I was slowly inching away in villupuram town traffic when a guy coming obliquely in wrong side hoping to cross to other side ,holding and talking in mobile phone and giggling away to glory. If I hadn't braked at the right time,he would've hit my front bumper head on. The icing on the cake (pun intended) was ,the moron continues the same chat and giggle standing in front of my car ,making me and the people behind me wait for almost 10 seconds.

2. I was coming towards panruti from Neyveli in the supposed NH 45C at around 70 kmph and passing a biker on his right( it's 2 laned road). The more I go to my right the more the biker slowly deviates to the right. Atlast while overtaking,I went to the other end of the road ,blaring my horns (luckily no one coming in the opposite and the road was empty) and saw to my shock - that pathetic guy was still using his touch phone holding it in front of face unwary of what's happened around him. Sigh.
As a part of new year resolution,I had vowed not to break my cool on road and trying my best not to curse that guy.

And regarding that invitation to race thing discussed above - come to NH 45 during weekends and eve of festivities. Every 4 wheeler tries to pick up a race with anyone coming at their side let alone overtake. This bhogi day,when traveling in that highway for a few kms,I had my worst experience - people forming three lanes in NH ,haphazard parking in motels and coffee shops, sudden stoppage for nature call ,what and what not !!!

Last edited by printh : 18th January 2016 at 14:30.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 16:30   #8060
BHPian

The fact is, most people if not given the stick or whip( read law intervention), can't do anything straight. And that includes driving. Big time.

It's part of being Indian basically and it's great fun from the moron drivers perspective . Until someone gets killed. Then a million people gather around and be a part of the aftermath
and go back to their lives after a stomach full of gossip. Case closed.

You can blame it on bad road infrastructure leading to frustrated drivers going berserk, or just plain Mera Bharat Mahan driving. Do-what-you-want-and-continue-unless-you-are-caught
kind of mentality. The reasons for this disorderly thinking/driving style may be numerous but it remains a fact. The sane drivers have to bear the brunt. Some join the brigade in the process. The story continues.....

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th January 2016 at 16:50. Reason: Para space added for better readability
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 00:54   #8061
BHPian

Was having a tea from the regular "chaiwala". I hear the loud siren. It's 5.30pm, roads are getting busy, but who cares, the king (read state minister) is arriving !!! Cops stop the traffic and let the king go first - citizens will have to wait for the mighty king to enjoy his ride, pilot vehicle (bolero) is in front. It has PILOT and Police written on the bumper and windshield respectively. Four safari suit clad staff in the pilot vehicle, no one wearing seat belt, one of them had his head out and screaming at everyone on the road to move and make way for the king. Minister sitting inside the fortuner behind the pilot vehicle, no one wearing seat belt, and every cop on the way including the inspector, salutes him. Obviously king is above law, so non adherence to rules are allowed. The drivers were going very fast in a residential area, I wish i could become a super hero for a minute and stop this menace....

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 19th January 2016 at 00:58.
sunishsamuel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 10:46   #8062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I overtook him again and after a few kilometers, he pulled the same stunt and got ahead of me again. I simply cannot understand why people take it personally when they are overtaken
What sticker(s) did you have on the car? LTD? Got BHP? From my observation till date, these stuntmen pull out all their might when they see a car with Team BHP Sticker(s). I never had such problems when I just had the transparent Driven-By sticker alone.., which is rarely visible except for the eyes of Sir IronH4WK. Once I put the LTD sticker, I've experienced hell on Highways. People simply overtake you and wait for you to return the favor.., and this cycle repeats itself in an infinite loop.

I'm repeating one of my old statements which I made in the Stickers thread. I was having this discussion with silversteed sometime back on suggesting our Mods to introduce a new sticker which goes something like this:

"Team-BHP - We are a Race, we don't race!"

Don't you think that this sticker is an urgent need for decent drivers?
vnidta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 11:06   #8063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
I'm repeating one of my old statements which I made in the Stickers thread. I was having this discussion with silversteed sometime back on suggesting our Mods to introduce a new sticker which goes something like this:

"Team-BHP - We are a Race, We don't race!"

that's a good one and catchy too! copyright it
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 11:10   #8064
BHPian

Quote:
What sticker(s) did you have on the car? LTD? Got BHP?

I agree. People think this is some sort of motosport/racing website. On YouTube, there is a channel for a website (or group of car enthusiasts; I will not take the name) which perform drag races, stunt events, rash high speed driving, etc. and this makes people think that BHPians are also like them.

When my Alto had LTD sticker, the service advisor said that warranty is void because you have participated in rally driving (pointing at LTD sticker ). Had to spend a good 15 minutes to teach him something about Team BHP.

Your idea of new sticker is good, but might be provocating to some on the road, something like "We do not *RACE* We are a *RACE*. *Race, Race* Me thinks this fellow wants a race!".

Instead IDS should be adopted by members, after the current favourite LTD (which is too much bling IMO). A black and white version of LTD would also be appreciated.

Last edited by swift_guy : 19th January 2016 at 11:12.
Old 19th January 2016, 11:14   #8065
BHPian

Quote:
What sticker(s) did you have on the car? LTD? Got BHP?
Sorry. I don't believe in the sticker culture. My car is devoid of any stickers, debadged and has a smooth rear, except the FIAT logo in the centre.

From my observation, it is mostly diesel swift guys on the highway that taunt me. I guess they see a Linea in the RVM, assume it is a MJD, having the same engine as theirs and expect the Linea to struggle to catch up. Unfortunately for them, I drive a T-Jet remapped by Wolfmoto running 150 HP

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 19th January 2016 at 11:16.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 18:50   #8066
Distinguished - BHPian

Stopping in the fast lane to pick up passengers? Big deal!

Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 17:16   #8067
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-img_5668.jpg

I think it is a futile attempt to count pax on-board! It hurts when you see elders not really taking kid's safety seriously.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 22:48   #8068
BHPian

Saw this case of bad driving while returning home today.. The IRVM was used as a movie player..

Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em-imageuploadedbyteambhp1453742042.461406.jpg
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 09:33   #8069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Saw this case of bad driving while returning home today.. The IRVM was used as a movie player..
100% Common stuff with every Cabbie in Bangalore.
20-30% Private vehicles have this stuff too.

Note: Only speaking from Bangalore perspective.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 09:45   #8070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
100% Common stuff with every Cabbie in Bangalore.
20-30% Private vehicles have this stuff too.

Note: Only speaking from Bangalore perspective.
And our laws ban the use of mobile phones while driving. DVD HUs, mobile holders (often used for attaching mobile phone to watch videos here in NCR) and these screens are free to use.

While using mobile phones, at least our eyes are on the road. And keeping eyes on the road is "the least" a good driver should do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks